Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,361 members, 7,839,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

Xtain Friends' Bible Discussion#1 The Parable Of The Unforgiving Servant - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Xtain Friends' Bible Discussion#1 The Parable Of The Unforgiving Servant (892 Views)

No Christian Will Be Left Behind On Rapture Day : Parable Of The 10 Virgins / ISIS Behead 4 Xtain Boys For Refusing Toconvert To Islam (HORRIFYING PHOTOS) / Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Xtain Friends' Bible Discussion#1 The Parable Of The Unforgiving Servant by sarmy(m): 8:14pm On Nov 10, 2010
Note: The main purpose of this topic is for learning and edification that we may be throughly furnished unto good works

The Parable of The Unforgiving Servant:- Mat 18:23-35 (King James Version)

23Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

24And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.

25But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

26The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

27Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

28But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

29And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

30And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

31So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.

32Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:

33Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

34And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

35So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Discussion Questions

Was the master's forgiveness of the debt unconditional?
Is God's forgiveness of our sins unconditional?
If not, what is the condition? Or with which kind of attitude must we receive the forgiveness?
If someone asks to forgive their debts against you, what conditions would you attach and what barriers may hinder you from offering such forgiveness?
What kind of behavior would you expect from those who have had their sins forgiven?
If their behavior is deficient, what might you infer?
If you were to pay back your own sins, how much effort or punishment would that require? [/li]
Re: Xtain Friends' Bible Discussion#1 The Parable Of The Unforgiving Servant by JeSoul(f): 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2010
Super-nice topic! Kudos Sarmy for trying to inject some avenue for exercising theoretical and practical godliness into the section.

This was the scripture text for the sermon on forgiveness in my church last week sunday smiley I'd like to take a swing at the discussion questions:

sarmy:

Was the master's forgiveness of the debt unconditional?
I believe so. We don't see/get any indication that the master did anything other than to fully forgive him without reservation or condition.

Is God's forgiveness of our sins unconditional?
I believe so too. As the scriptures teach, all we need do to receive this forgiveness is to simply ask.

If someone asks to forgive their debts against you, what conditions would you attach and what barriers may hinder you from offering such forgiveness?
Personally for me, forgiving is something that has always come easy to me - thank God! smiley cos I hear many people speak of how they struggle with it. If someone asks me for forgiveness, I generally have no trouble letting go because in the first place I try not to hold onto anything if I'm wronged or hurt.

What kind of behavior would you expect from those who have had their sins forgiven?
This is the REAL question. The bible teaches "if we don't forgive others, God will not forgive us". I would expect someone who's had their trespasses forgiven them, extend that same hand to someone who trespasses against them - or else, they risk not being forgiven themselves.

If their behavior is deficient, what might you infer?
I would infer they were never really sorry or contrite about what they did in the first place - if they could not turn around and forgive someone else.

If you were to pay back your own sins, how much effort or punishment would that require?
shocked grin gosh, lets just say I'm glad I'll never have to pay for my many shortcomings thanks to the magnificent sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ.

(1) (Reply)

c / Atheists, Christians Clash At Washington, DC Protest / Jesus Is The Future Lucifer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.