Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others (16752 Views)

NJC recommends 11 Justices to the Supreme Court (Photos) / NJC Recommends Appointment Of 6 Chief Judges / NJC Recommends Chukwuma Abosi & Aliyu Musa Liman For Compulsory Retirement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by fergie001: 6:19pm On Oct 24, 2019
* NJC recommends appointment of four (4) Supreme Court of Nigeria Justices, four (4) Heads of Courts, Thirteen (13) Judicial Officers for Federal and State High Courts and one (1) Sharia Court of Appeal;
* Empanels Committees to investigate eight (8 Judges.

The National Judicial Council under the Chairmanship of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Dr. Justice I. T. Muhammad CFR, at its Meeting of 22nd and 23rd October, 2019, considered the list of candidates presented by its Interview Committee and resolved to recommend to President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, and the Governors of Edo, Ondo, Akwa-Ibom, Kogi, Anambra, Taraba, Abia, Osun, Nasarawa and Jigawa States, twenty-two (22) successful candidates for appointment as Justices of the Supreme Court, Heads of Courts and other Judicial Officers in Nigeria.

The statement was made available by the NJC’s Director of Information, Soji Oye.

They are: –

1. APPOINTMENT OF FOUR (4) JUSTICES, SUPREME COURT OF NIGERIA
i) Hon. Justice Adamu Jauro, JCA (North-East Zone)
ii) Hon. Justice Emmanuel A. Agim, JCA
(South-South Zone)
iii) Hon. Justice C. Oseji, JCA (South-South Zone)
iv) Hon. Justice Helen M. Ogunwumiju, JCA
(South-West Zone)
2. APPOINTMENT OF CHIEF JUDGE, FEDERAL HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Hon. Justice Tsoho John Terhemba

3. APPOINTMENT OF PRESIDENT, NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL COURT OF NIGERIA
i) Hon. Justice B. B. Kanyip

4. APPOINTMENT OF CHIEF JUDGE, EDO STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Hon. Justice Esther Amenaghawon Edigin

5. APPOINTMENT OF PRESIDENT, CUSTOMARY COURT OF APPEAL, ONDO STATE
i) Hon. Justice Eunice Aderonke Alade

6. APPOINTMENT OF FOUR (4) JUDGES, OSUN STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Mathias Olusegun Agboola, Esq.
ii) Sikiru Adeposi Oke, Esq.
iii) Olorunfemi Judith Ajanaku, Esq.
iv) Lawrence Olawale Arojo, Esq.

7. APPOINTMENT OF ONE (1) JUDGE, NASARAWA STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Bawa Sunday Baba, Esq.
8. APPOINTMENT OF ONE (1) JUDGE, AKWA-IBOM STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Nkeruwem Martin Obot, Esq.
9. APPOINTMENT OF ONE (1) JUDGE, KOGI STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Yahaya Adamu, Esq.
10. APPOINTMENT OF TWO (2) JUDGES, ANAMBRA STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Onyinye Samuel Anumonye, Esq.
ii) Victoria Toochukwu Nwoye, Esq.
11. APPOINTMENT OF ONE (1) JUDGE, TARABA STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Goje Yahaya Hamman, Esq.
12. APPOINTMENT OF THREE (3) JUDGES, ABIA STATE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE
i) Benson Anya, Esq.
ii) Enyinnaya Okezie, Esq.
iii) Adiele Ogbonna, Esq.
13. APPOINTMENT OF ONE (1) KADI, SHARIA COURT OF APPEAL, JIGAWA STATE
i) Ibrahim Alhaji Ya’u

All the appointed Judges are expected to be sworn-in after the approval of the President and their respective State Governors and or confirmation by the Senate and State Houses of Assembly as the case may be.

Council at the Meeting deliberated on the Report of its Preliminary Complaints Assessment Committee and decided to empanel eight (8 Committees to investigate eight (8 Judicial Officers from amongst the 35 petitions written against 37 Judges of the Federal and State High Courts.

The remaining petitions were summarily dismissed for obvious and manifest lack of merit, being subjudice, concerning administrative matters, or that such petitions were matters for appeal. The dismissed petitions were against Hon. Justice Adamu Abdu-kafarati, the immediate past Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Hon. Justices Anduwi Chikere, H. I. O. Oshoma, Ayo Emmanuel all of the Federal High Court, Hon. Justice J. D. Peters, National Industrial Court of Nigeria, Hon. Justice S. E. Aladetoyinbo (Rtd), of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Hon. Justice Opeyemi Oke (Rtd), Chief Judge of Lagos State, Hon. Justices K. A. Jose, S. S. Ogunsanya, T. A. Oyekan-Abdullahi, O. O. Femi-Adeniyi and D. T. Okuwobi, all of the Lagos State High Court of Justice. Hon. Justice Mojisola Idayat Sule, Oyo State High Court, Hon. Justices R. D. Harriman, A. O. Omamogbo, Michael Nduka Obi, High Court of Justice, Delta State, Hon. Justice E. N. Thompson, River State High Court, Hon. Justice Inaikende Eradiri, High Court, Bayelsa State, Hon. Justices N. B. Ukoha and B. C. Iheka of High Court of Justice, Imo State, Hon. Justices F. I. N. Ngwu, R. O. Odugu, Enugu State High Court, Hon. Justice Abdulkadir H. Suleiman, Bauchi State High Court and Hon. Justice Garba Abdulkadir of the Katsina State High Court of Justice.

Council also approved the recommendation of two (2) Committees earlier set-up to investigate Hon. Justice Winifred I. A. Effiong of Akwa-Ibom State High Court of Justice and Hon. Justice Bello Aliyu Gusau of High of Justice, Zamfara State which absolved them of any judicial misconduct.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/10/24/njc-recommends-jauro-agim-oseji-ogunwumiju-for-appointment-as-supreme-court-justices/amp/

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Freemanbobble: 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2019
Okay
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2019
One thing I appreciate about this administration is the fear of prosecution put in the judiciary. Take it or leave it, this government is putting judges on their toes. If you as a judge want to be independent, stay clean and nothing can be used against you by this government.

But what do I know?

Well, what I do know is, if you want a private IELTS tutor in Lagos, with a comparatively guaranteed one-time success at the exam, send a mail to editus dot ng at gmail dot com, and let's talk.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Truthbites: 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2019
The Judiciary isn't independent at all..the President shouldn't ratify any appointment at all

2 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Bolustical: 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2019
I expect PDP to start crying foul that the list is filled with Buhari's relatives and his ancestors.

However, same party won't tell you they have spouses of their party members on the Supreme Court benches.

19 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Racoon(m): 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2019
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by ViviZub(f): 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2019
Get your children educational android tablets @ N20,000 with free delivery nationwide. Go through my threads for pictures and please check my signature for contact
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Overself: 8:15pm On Oct 24, 2019
These appointments we be based on "technicallties"
grin grin

1 Like

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by PureGoldh(m): 8:20pm On Oct 24, 2019
Cool
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Futuragetty: 8:22pm On Oct 24, 2019
Learned Brothers, aspiring learned silks (From the eastern part of Nigeria) do not be bothered at all. At every level,we are being marginalized by the least educated region supported by another dubious region. They will not let us go. Yet they will not let us live and prosper in peace.
The North are scared of Us.

Do you know that easterns has more qualified lawyers than most regions in Nigeria?
In the confernement of SAN, we are being marginalized.
Appointment of judges (Federal)
In due time, We shall conquer.

3 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by TurboBuilder(m): 8:25pm On Oct 24, 2019
undecided cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by RichDad1(m): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2019
Tribalist are still looking for loopholes in this appointments. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by kayusely70(m): 8:28pm On Oct 24, 2019
I hope they are picked on merit

1 Like

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by urchnez(m): 8:29pm On Oct 24, 2019
Overself:
These appointments we be based on "technicallties"
grin grin

A whole lot of technicalities in this appointment, hence the technical knockout...
...No Complains Pls....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by superior1: 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2019
Another set of rouges brought to the bench

1 Like

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by dom(m): 8:36pm On Oct 24, 2019
Congrats to them, especially Hon. V. Nwoye (Anambra). Shes been a colleague for 10 years. Great Lady.

1 Like

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by freshvine(f): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2019
All federal judges, non from south east
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Tajmahal1000: 8:56pm On Oct 24, 2019
freshvine:
All federal judges, non from south east

Every geo-political zone is represented in both the Federal High Court and the Supreme Court. The new appointments were made to fill current vacancies (which must be replacements from the zones where the vacancies exist). No zone is marginalized in the judiciary. Ask lawyers if you are note one.

It is not on every issue that the South-East should complain. At least not in the judiciary...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by fergie001: 9:01pm On Oct 24, 2019
Futuragetty:
Learned Brothers, aspiring learned silks (From the eastern part of Nigeria) do not be bothered at all. At every level,we are being marginalized by the least educated region supported by another dubious region. They will not let us go. Yet they will not let us live and prosper in peace.
The North are scared of Us.

Do you know that easterns has more qualified lawyers than most regions in Nigeria?
In the confernement of SAN, we are being marginalized.
Appointment of judges (Federal)
In due time, We shall conquer.
Leave this thing....am Easterner like you but it's based on balancing via geopolitical zone. Next year, two judges from the East will likely also be preferred to the Supreme Court to replace the ones close to retirement.

The Supreme Court as it stands now before this appointment:

NE - 3
NW -3
NC - 2

SW - 3
SS - 1
SE -3 (Justices Ngwuta, Odili & Nweze- Ebonyi, Imo, Enugu respectively)

Where is the partiality?

Cc: freshvine valentineuwakwe

3 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by garfield1: 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2019
I knew the post must be from fergie,wonder what his intent is
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by fergie001: 9:11pm On Oct 24, 2019
garfield1:
I knew the post must be from fergie,wonder what his intent is
Funny you....
That's why I like NL...it is educative.
After our little talk that day, I have so made research into the the FHC, FCA and SC that one will think I studied Law.

If antecedents is to go by,
Olukayode Ariwoola, JSC will succeed the present CJN.

PS:
Just posted nah....happy Dongbah-Mensem wasn't among grin

1 Like

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Amanda4life: 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2019
When the prob er is being probbed
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by gtown: 9:29pm On Oct 24, 2019
fergie001:

Leave this thing....am Easterner like you but it's based on balancing via geopolitical zone. Next year, two judges from the East will likely also be preferred to the Supreme Court to replace the ones close to retirement.

NE - 2
NW -3
NC - 2

SW - 3
SS - 1

Where is the partiality?

Cc: freshvine
Some are made to complain about everything. They even blame God everyday for their own self inflicted misfortune.
Some call them hate mongers, but in all senses they are not less anything of the men of perdition

1 Like

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by Halo22: 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
Inasmuch as NJC will do their verification on merit without interference, no cause for alarm. What am totally against is executive interference, which is against the principle of separation of powers.
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by charlycharles(m): 9:43pm On Oct 24, 2019
fergie001:

NE - 2
NW -3
NC - 2

SW - 3
SS - 1

Where is the partiality?

Cc: freshvine
Mary Odili is from Rivers or is it a different Odili?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by fergie001: 9:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
charlycharles:

Mary Odili is from Rivers or is it a different Odili?
Yes, it's the same Mary Ukaego Odili, JSC.
They take the woman's maiden state i.e. if she was single when she joined the judiciary.
She joined the judiciary in 1978 and married in 1979.

She is originally from Ezinihitte-Mbaise in Imo State, thus she is using the slot of SE region (Imo) and not Rivers state.

2 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by SalemCiti: 9:52pm On Oct 24, 2019
The appointment of Mathias Olusegun Agboola into the High Court of Osun State is the most welcoming and most pleasing to me of all. It's been long overdue. He has made a success of private practice as one of the most exceptionally brilliant lawyers in Osun State.
His integrity as a practising Christian of repute is a uniform testimony of all people that know him both in private life and professional practice. He is a Pastor in Deeper Life Church and a leading figure in the Christian Lawyers Fellowship of Nigeria.
All these must have counted for him in this appointment no doubt. Moreover, having served as a Judge in the Republic of Gambia must have been an edge for him. M.O.Agboola is a brilliant inclusion into the Bench of Osun State. He is really going to make landmark impacts.

4 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by fergie001: 9:56pm On Oct 24, 2019
SalemCiti:
The appointment of Mathias Olusegun Agboola into the High Court of Osun State is the most welcoming and most pleasing to me of all. It's been long overdue. He has made a success of private practice as one of the most exceptionally brilliant lawyers in Osun State.
His integrity as a practising Christian of repute is a uniform testimony of all people that know him both in private life and professional practice. He is a Pastor in Deeper Life Church and a leading figure in the Christian Lawyers Fellowship of Nigeria.
All these must have counted for him in this appointment no doubt. Moreover, having served as a Judge in the Republic of Gambia must have been an edge for him. M.O.Agboola is a brilliant inclusion into the Bench of the High Court of Osun State. He is really going to make landmark impacts.
He followed in the footsteps of one of the Justices preferred to the Supreme Court, Justice Emmanuel Akomaye Agim, who was formerly Chief Justice of Gambia and later Swaziland.
This exposure helps them, hopefully he will do well.

2 Likes

Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by fergie001: 9:59pm On Oct 24, 2019
gtown:

Some are made to complain about everything. They even blame God everyday for their own self inflicted misfortune.
Some call them hate mongers, but in all senses they are not less anything of the men of perdition
I don't think he was been mischievous,
I believe he just didn't know.....

You know everything here is tribal-or-religion characterised.
Thanks to NL...you or me might have also be ranting.
He will get over it sha.
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by garfield1: 10:20pm On Oct 24, 2019
fergie001:

Funny you....
That's why I like NL...it is educative.
After our little talk that day, I have so made research into the the FHC, FCA and SC that one will think I studied Law.

If antecedents is to go by,
Olukayode Ariwoola, JSC will succeed the present CJN.

PS:
Just posted nah....happy Dongbah-Mensem wasn't among grin
I thought as much.you seem like a boss that will always engender conflict in your workplace
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by garfield1: 10:21pm On Oct 24, 2019
Halo22:
Inasmuch as NJC will do their verification on merit without interference, no cause for alarm. What am totally against is executive interference, which is against the principle of separation of powers.
It is impossible for true executive not to interfere in africa...
Re: NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others by garfield1: 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2019
fergie001:

He followed in the footsteps of one of the Justices preferred to the Supreme Court, Justice Emmanuel Akomaye Agim, who was formerly Chief Justice of Gambia and later Swaziland.
This exposure helps them, hopefully he will do well.
A cross riverian from ayade's lga,to replace onnoghen i guess.ill have preferred justice i i agube

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Stop Importation Of Petrol By 2023 / Anambra 2021: Obiano Rejects Storage Of INEC Materials In Imo / PDP Ignores Power Shift, Says Atiku, Kwankwaso, Others Free To Run

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.