Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately (27345 Views)

Pantami: We’re Expecting Twitter To Open Nigerian Office In Q1 2022 / Coronavirus: Atiku Asks FG To Pay N10,000 To Each Household, As He Donates N50M / Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by etcsines: 8:13pm On Oct 24, 2019
Femi Falana, human rights lawyer, has urged the federal government to “urgently dialogue with Nigeria’s neighbouring countries to jointly fight the menace of smuggling which necessitated the closure of Nigeria’s borders.

Delivering a paper at the annual conference of the ECOWAS court of justice in Accra, Ghana, the lawyer said the border closure is inconsistent with the letter and spirit of ECOWAS protocol on free movement of persons, residence and establishment and the African Continental Free Trade Agreement.

He described the International Monetary Fund’s support for the development as a deliberate design to weaken ECOWAS regional integration agenda.

“The borders should be reopened without any further delay as it cannot be sustained for too long without serious repercussions for the Nigerian economy,” he said.

“The neighbouring countries may retaliate by imposing a ban on goods being exported from Nigeria by air. They may also close down Nigerian banks and other businesses operating in other member states of the ECOWAS.

“Instead of resorting to the unilateral closure of borders the federal government should drag the Republics of Benin and Niger to the Court of Justice of the ECOWAS for breaching the ECOWAS Protocol by allegedly encouraging the smuggling of petrol, rice and other products. In the alternative, smuggling should be addressed like terrorism which is being jointly combated by Nigeria and her neighbours.”

The lawyer accused the federal government of punishing law-abiding corporate bodies and citizens because of the “criminal activities of a few trans-border smugglers”.

“The federal government should expose the smugglers by arresting and prosecuting them. The smugglers in Nigeria and the neighbouring countries are well known by the security agencies. Without official connivance the crime of smuggling cannot thrive in the region,” he said.

“Apart from monitoring the borders with technology the federal government should take advantage of the ECOWAS Protocol Relating to the Re-exportation within ECOWAS of goods imported from third countries. Under the Protocol Benin, Togo and Ghana are only entitled to charge administrative fees in respect of goods whose destination is Nigeria.

“I commend the ECOWAS Court for protecting the human rights of community citizens. But member states should desist from disregarding the judgments and orders of the Court. Other leaders should emulate President Nana Akuffo-Addo who has ordered the Attorney- General and Minister of Ghana to ensure compliance with all decisions of the Court. The ECOWAS Commission should ensure that sanctions are imposed on recalcitrant member states in line with the ECOWAS Revised Treaty and the Protocol of the Community Court.”

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/falana-asks-fg-to-reopen-borders-immediately/amp

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by kunleweb: 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2019
Two faced, two tongued charlatan

111 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by yemex04(m): 8:39pm On Oct 24, 2019
These so called human right activists like Femi Falana might just be saboteurs afterall..I do not see any reason why a patrotric citizen would go to a country who is at the receiving end of his country's policies and condemn same publicly in solidarity with another nation..Even though the policy may be harsh on some Nigerians right now, but no doubt , it's in the overall interest of all Nigerians.So even if Falana is talking about the law,(I have my reservation anyway)he has to be loyal to his country first..His statement seems to be protecting the interest of other countries first ahead of his country but people like him would still come and condemn the Government for massive unemployment in the country..I lost my respect for Mr Falana on this..because the truth is, Whatever the situation of things are in Nigeria, economic strength of folks like him would never be affected badly...He is a billionare by all standard!

154 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by LeoThaGreat(m): 8:45pm On Oct 24, 2019
This suggestion by Femi Falana is welcomed only in sane environments.
When Patrice Talon became president of Benin Republic, he met with Buhari at Seme, and I'm sure Buhari must have told him to do something positive about the smuggling issues Nigeria is having through them. He's twice met with Buhari afterwards that I know of, yet no positive effort was done by him.
The Nigerien president, hmm, this one must be Buhari's padi; I'm 1000% sure Buhari has urged him to do something positive to curb Nigeria's smuggling issues through them, but no, he didn't listen.

They turned the president of the most populous black country on earth, and Africa's most progressive economy into a barking dog.

Now that president Buhari has decided to play his last card, everybody's on his neck.

Kilode?
Must Nigerians continue to suffer because of her neighbours?
I have to scold the Nigerian government too, but, I reserve my comment for now.

101 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by ekestic1976(f): 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2019
Let him go to Court immediately. What are lawyers for?

7 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by wristbangle: 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
Not a smart move if you ask me. The border closure is a blessing in disguise if Nigeria government can support subsistence and commercial farmers in Nigeria via loan and access to good seedlings.

Also, tax incurred from imported goods if well utilized can boost power, industries and other critical sector growth.

My own worries is that of the porous border up north as greedy politicians and co will exploit this avenue to accumulate overnight wealth.

31 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Junkie1: 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by realstars: 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
The border closure will put all of those security men who enriched themselves through that root into financial handicap.

3 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Biritiko: 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
Falana is a stupid man

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Blue3k(m): 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
In the alternative, smuggling should be addressed like terrorism which is being jointly combated by Nigeria and her neighbours.”

Nigeria should ho negotiate its terms on what concrete actions does Nigeria want Benin and Niger to take to reopen borders. Im thinking they should agree to more information and deploying more security forces on their side of border. I agree with falana on joint borde opperations. 

Trump's deal with Mexico is good example to follow. The US got Mexico to agree to more information sharing, station national guard at their southern border and keep asylum seekers in Mexico until their cases are resolved in the US.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by veraponpo(m): 9:43pm On Oct 24, 2019
Rubbish!

They know human rights when it makes them look good.

They will still be the very ones to say Buhari is a bad economist.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by ozoebuka1(m): 9:43pm On Oct 24, 2019
Nwamaikpe

Come and give us the historical background of this man, please.

9 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2019
No!
The border should be left closed.
Govt should while that is ongoing, focus on domestic manufacturing industries to enable them develop to be competitive in the global market.

China did it, the Koreans, Japan, hell even USA did it and are doing a bit of it now.
Let's focus on areas where Nigeria has comparative advantage, and develop those before we fall borders and open our markets.

I recommend 'Kicking Away the Ladder' by H. Joon-Chang and we'll understand the benefits of protectionism in international trade, and how it was done by developed nations.
Unrestricted free trade helps no developing nation, and kills local infant industries.

I also recommend sending a mail to editus dot ng at gmail dot com, if you want an IELTS tutor in Lagos, with a comparatively guaranteed one-time success at the exam.

21 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by ekestic1976(f): 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2019
LeoThaGreat:
This suggestion by Femi Falana is welcomed only in sane environments.
When Patrice Talon became president of Benin Republic, he met with Buhari at Seme, and I'm sure Buhari must have told him to do something positive about the smuggling issues Nigeria is having through them. He's twice met with Buhari afterwards that I know of, yet no positive effort was done by him.
The Nigerien president, hmm, this one must be Buhari's padi; I'm 1000% sure Buhari has urged him to do something positive to curb Nigeria's smuggling issues through them, but no, he didn't listen.

They turned the president of the most populous black country on earth, and Africa's most progressive economy into a barking dog.

Now that president Buhari has decided to play his last card, everybody's on his neck.

Kilode?
Must Nigerians continue to suffer because of her neighbours?
I have to scold the Nigerian government too, but, I reserve my comment for now.

Shows that you know next to nothing about International Affairs! Which school did you go to? A Trade Centre?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Innoxxacs: 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2019
realstars:
shocked

Junkie1:

Well done o
Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2019
If they wanna conduct business, they can enter the country legally with their goods.

This isn't hard.

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by uzohrome(m): 9:45pm On Oct 24, 2019
Well, the border closure stuff is heating the west the more. Una never see anything ���
Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by stagger: 9:47pm On Oct 24, 2019
kunleweb:
Two faced, two tongued charlatan
Damn right bro!

7 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Onyekachi419(f): 9:48pm On Oct 24, 2019
He should go and open it, if he wants it open so badly shocked

Ooops I forgot he can't grin

21 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 24, 2019
The border must remain shut. Falana should keep shut

8 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Chukapage(m): 9:50pm On Oct 24, 2019
Taaa! Nigerian border be like your court room?? Go and Sue Nigeria for human rights na!! The border remains LOCKED it's time to grow our local industries ! Selfish individuals and neighboring countries don Finish this NIGERIA.If I am President that land border will be locked for 4YEARS not just that I will increase import tariffs on Chinese Finished goods till people gets common sense and start manufacturing in Nigeria and also use "Made in Nigeria" look at the good job Donald Trump is doing in America .Every country is protecting it's own local and domestic industries from Industrial SHARKS like CHINA. undecided

20 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by AbuAeesha: 9:50pm On Oct 24, 2019
sincerely I was against the border closure initially, but after long thought,and watching hameed Ali's presentation at the house, personally I reasoned that closing the border:
will increase our productivity
create more jobs in
and we need to know that the foreign rice we eat is usually harmful
even our own Innoson motor will benefit tremendously
our Rice Mill will Also benefit
. though am not a supporter of this administration,but that's the fact

9 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by govomotors: 9:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
No comment but I have to say this, Lawyers can be liars just to win a case.

He needed to win the heart of Ghanaian, after all why are you saying it now that you are in Ghana. The border have been close since.

A beg President Buhari, when are ordering ban on generator importation and foreign medical trip for serving government officials and family.

This will help improve our power Sector and improve our healthcare system.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by samorobo: 9:52pm On Oct 24, 2019
Falana I have some much respect for you but on this I must disagree...I am very sure warning has been issued consistently without them yielding to it so blame them not us...If they want to get their goods to the shores of Nigeria then they should use ports and pay all duties rather than illegally crippling our economy at the expense of their economic progress whilst we sit and suffer.....we cannot continue to play Africa's big brother to this ungrateful lots that eventually turns back to bite us......

All Africans don't deserve our help.we have help them from time to time and the least they always end up giving us is hate..for the first time let's look out for ourselves

9 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by samorobo: 9:54pm On Oct 24, 2019
Falana please just stick to your law and stay away from economic matters...They are just too complex for you

10 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 24, 2019
uzohrome:
Well, the border closure stuff is heating the west the more. Una never see anything ���

The border closure is not "west thing" , it's for the general populace

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Obierika(m): 9:54pm On Oct 24, 2019
This guy had better stick to his area of calling which is law

2 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Kobicove(m): 9:55pm On Oct 24, 2019
What is this man's business in this matter?

3 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by Charly68: 9:57pm On Oct 24, 2019
Falana's is a lawyer and lawyers are independent minded ..so let's leave the man to his own legal postulation

4 Likes

Re: Femi Falana Asks FG To Re-open Nigerian Land Borders Immediately by lyriclekidd(m): 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2019
Asap

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whether You Voted For Me Or Not, I Am Your President - Tinubu (Video) / Lai Mohammed Commissions Borehole In Katsina. See Reactions (Photos) / El-Rufai Recovers, Tests Negative To Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.