Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? (20867 Views)

Why Does Samsung Phones Have Green Line On Thier Screen? / Many People Won't Understand This Picture Of Two Phones / Why Some Phones Have Better Network Reception Than Others? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by rius17: 8:26am On Oct 27, 2019
miko1988:
... As an officer with little experience in the tracking field, somtimes dis issue comes up as a result of box swap, dat's y if u purchase phone confirm d IMEI number by dialing *#06# and compare to d one in d box before going home, if dey swap ur box and gave ur phone box to wrong person, anytime d person with ur real phone box containing ur phone imei lost his/her phone there's possibility of tracking ur genue phone
God bless u, i pass tru hell just cos of dat just 3months back, i bought infinix hot s, dec2016 from a shop, abt three yrs now, only to be
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by shogsman(m): 8:26am On Oct 27, 2019
Of course,back in UNI days we use to clone imei to get exclusive data deals.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by rius17: 8:29am On Oct 27, 2019
miko1988:
... As an officer with little experience in the tracking field, somtimes dis issue comes up as a result of box swap, dat's y if u purchase phone confirm d IMEI number by dialing *#06# and compare to d one in d box before going home, if dey swap ur box and gave ur phone box to wrong person, anytime d person with ur real phone box containing ur phone imei lost his/her phone there's possibility of tracking ur genue phone
God bless u, i pass tru hell just cos of dat just 3months back, i bought infinix hot s, dec2016 from a shop, abt three yrs now, only to be arrested by SARS , N was taken all d way from jos to Abuja, on handcuff after spending 4dayz in d cell,my savin grace being dat my receipt and pack are intact, d greatest surprise was dat i and d oda guy bought our phones at same location same week. Our phones were swap at d point of sale, imagine wat cud av happen if i had thrown my pack or receipt, for about three gud yrs

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by mindtricks: 8:39am On Oct 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Indeed. Four or more phones can have the same imei number......... It's easy to change/swap imei numbers, the reason you see people conceal their devices imei numbers......
This swapping thing when has it gone past Mtks?
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by BatleFox: 8:43am On Oct 27, 2019
oloyedayo:
My brother bought an infinix hot 7 at slot in VI Lagos sometimes in July this year. He traveled to his village, Igboho in Oyo state where he was picked up by police undercover agents (SIB) for phone theft.
His offence was that the phone he bought from slot in Lagos was stolen at a church in Jos.
We have to request that some one bring the phone box and receipt from Lagos to igboho, after which the SIB release him to us that they have seen evidence that he bought the phone.
My fear now is that they can pick him up again if they track same IMEI again. What should we do.

I contacted slot and they said he should visit the store where the phone was purchased. But can two phones have same IMEI?

100 phones can have the same IMEI number. In fact there is an app on Goggle playstore (MK Dons i think - it been so long so forgoten) that we normally use to change IMEI on phones.

The thing was very popular back in the day when BB plans were cheap and androd plans were so expensive. You got to a website and pick a bb imei number then download the app and just change number. Your androd becomes recognised as a blackberry by telecoms and you can then sub to their bb plans. Simple.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by KingsArome(m): 8:47am On Oct 27, 2019
oloyedayo:
My brother bought an infinix hot 7 at slot in VI Lagos sometimes in July this year. He traveled to his village, Igboho in Oyo state where he was picked up by police undercover agents (SIB) for phone theft.
His offence was that the phone he bought from slot in Lagos was stolen at a church in Jos.
We have to request that some one bring the phone box and receipt from Lagos to igboho, after which the SIB release him to us that they have seen evidence that he bought the phone.
My fear now is that they can pick him up again if they track same IMEI again. What should we do.

I contacted slot and they said he should visit the store where the phone was purchased. But can two phones have same IMEI?

Maybe ur brother twerk his imei, or mistakenly app that change his imei, which is very possible
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by kkulaja(m): 8:54am On Oct 27, 2019
Same Imei,
SIB means what?
Cos I believe it's the duty of SARS to track such person, and once such person is tracked, slot too will be invited

I think those Police is only out to extort you, this is why it is very important to buy phones from genuine source and receipt photocopied and archived

Imagine if u had bought the phone from a friend without receipt or in a shop and misplaced the receipt.

Why I think it's extortion is cos if it was really tracking, it wouldn't be ordinary NPF that will track you, and it wouldn't be they must have been tracking you from Laos not the local Iboho police because u just came around on vacation and dey see the imei dey have been looking for in their system just like that

Tracking don't work like that
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 27, 2019
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Ejadike(m): 9:17am On Oct 27, 2019
I don't think it's possible
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by talk2aikay(m): 9:19am On Oct 27, 2019
illitrate:
Many guys were cloning imei numbers to get free data bonanaza sometime ago as i heard and read on nairaland, a particular telecom was offering
free welcome data for to every unique imei so someone may had guessed and clone the imei of your phone before you even bought it. In the country I leave, the telecoms does not allow 2 devices to be connected at the same time with same imei. A notification is auto sent to you telling you that you share an imei with someone.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. That's probably how it happened.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Catchfirez: 9:21am On Oct 27, 2019
God save you, police won take you chop, which here tracking.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by dharrey2012: 9:31am On Oct 27, 2019
It is possible, as a matter of fact, Tecno and Infinix assigns one imei to multiple devices without the knowledge of unsuspecting buyers.

..but of course, relevant authorities are not even concerned at all, not yet at least
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Just2endowed2(m): 9:36am On Oct 27, 2019
miko1988:

Hello officer, pls how can I track a phone that was stolen. It was conveyed and it was stolen in transit. And how much will it cost
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Belawy(m): 9:39am On Oct 27, 2019
Slot should actually wake up to there responsibility and take the case up.I don't know about duplication though I know how it works.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Lexusgs430: 9:53am On Oct 27, 2019
Ashirioluwa:

That is not correct. 2 phones cannot have same IMEI number.

I repeat 2 phones can have the same imei number..... I am not talking from original manufacturers end, but through dubious means.......

If you doubt me, drop your mtk imei number make i port am sharply unto another device............
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Stillthebest: 9:54am On Oct 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Indeed. Four or more phones can have the same imei number......... It's easy to change/swap imei numbers, the reason you see people conceal their devices imei numbers......

Not so true brother !!!! Just like saying two American citizens can have two SSNs.

IMEI is a personal unique number. It is an Intl mobile equipment identification number.

It attaches a phone to a user all over the world. The moment two people use the same IMEI, the motive for creating the function is "malwared"

Once two imei exists such phones carrying it will be blacklisted and will seize to function; this happens on tech errors.

Yes, people swap imei online but must not be frequent then the already existed imei will be completely erased before a new one is issued.

So, two people can't use one IMEI. Police only wanted to , as usual extort the guy.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Lexusgs430: 9:55am On Oct 27, 2019
BatleFox:

100 phones can have the same IMEI number. In fact there is an app on Goggle playstore (MK Dons i think - it been so long so forgoten) that we normally use to change IMEI on phones.

The thing was very popular back in the day when BB plans were cheap and androd plans were so expensive. You got to a website and pick a bb imei number then download the app and just change number. Your androd becomes recognised as a blackberry by telecoms and you can then sub to their bb plans. Simple.

Some people like Ashirioluwa, would still doubt and want to argue this point..........
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Lexusgs430: 9:56am On Oct 27, 2019
Stillthebest:

Not so true brother !!!! Just like saying two American citizens can have two SSNs.

IMEI is a personal unique number. It is an Intl mobile equipment identification number.

It attaches a phone to a user all over the world. The moment two people use the same IMEI, the motive for creating the function is "malwared"

Once two imei exists such phones carrying it will be blacklisted and will seize to function; this happens on tech errors.

Yes, people swap imei online but must not be frequent then the already existed imei will be completely erased before a new one is issued.

So, two people can't use one IMEI. Police only wanted to , as usual extort the guy.

I repeat again, it's very possible.......

Are we using American as a case study or Nigeria.........
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 27, 2019
Take a legal action against NPF. Sue for damages. If they are not guilty then sue Slot.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by joyfullyjoyous(f): 9:59am On Oct 27, 2019
The police should prove that truly another phone with same Imei is missing else I will sue for defamation of character.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by horlabiyi(m): 10:04am On Oct 27, 2019
My point should be very easy for you to comprehend but it's obvious you're just trying to drive away from the point. You and I know that NPF are not competent but that doesn't mean he shouldn't lodge a complain with them
udomma1005:

"Police is not competent..... bla.. bla...... bla..... bla... Lodge a complaint @ a police station near said store"
You're talking from both sides of ya mouth dude, thought you were gonna tell him to consult an oracle! �

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Stillthebest: 10:25am On Oct 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I repeat again, it's very possible.......

Are we using American as a case study or Nigeria.........

Do two p have the same BVN?
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Lexusgs430: 10:33am On Oct 27, 2019
Stillthebest:

Do two p have the same BVN?

Different situations...... BVN is issued by a government body, same way imei is issued by a phone manufacturer.....

But people wey sabi, would simply port an imei of another device, unto another device......

Do your research.............
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by joe4christ(m): 10:35am On Oct 27, 2019
illitrate:
Many guys were cloning imei numbers to get free data bonanaza sometime ago as i heard and read on nairaland, a particular telecom was offering
free welcome data for to every unique imei so someone may had guessed and clone the imei of your phone before you even bought it. In the country I leave, the telecoms does not allow 2 devices to be connected at the same time with same imei. A notification is auto sent to you telling you that you share an imei with someone.

This is the best possible explanation to the OP brother's ideal. I remember back then i tweaked more than 20 Imei for data tweak then, i even helped alot of friends who couldn't get theirs to work. So, possibly someone coincidentally guessed his bro imei even before he bought the phone. But if the OP says both phones are new, then thats another twist Mehn!
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by IamCharles123: 10:40am On Oct 27, 2019
udomma1005:

"Police is not competent..... bla.. bla...... bla..... bla... Lodge a complaint @ a police station near said store"
You're talking from both sides of ya mouth dude, thought you were gonna tell him to consult an oracle! �
Lets reason here, is there a database were all stolen phone ime are save if not, the police are just scamming the guy.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Gucciboy1(m): 10:42am On Oct 27, 2019
oloyedayo:

2 phones can't have the Same IMEI number, but you can change yours.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by IamCharles123: 10:45am On Oct 27, 2019
joe4christ:

This is the best possible explanation to the OP brother's ideal. I remember back then i tweaked more than 20 Imei for data tweak then, i even helped alot of friends who couldn't get theirs to work. So, possibly someone coincidentally guessed his bro imei even before he bought the phone. But if the OP says both phones are new, then thats another twist Mehn!
The report of the stolen phone and were his brother was arrested are two different location. For police to check his bro phone and say that the ime match that of a reported stolen phone, there has to be a database were all reported stolen phone ime are saved. I doubt the nigeria police has such system, they are just trying to scam the young man.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by melotech(m): 11:25am On Oct 27, 2019
Buy iPhone that is the only phone the IMEI can't be tweek for now
But all this mtk can be change 1000 times
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 27, 2019
I think it was the rogue Slot sellers trying to play a fast one on you, but thank your stars you didn't destroy the package/receipt, they would have repossessed what you bought from them
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by Nasa28(m): 11:52am On Oct 27, 2019
Yes.... 100% possible.
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by yoged(m): 11:52am On Oct 27, 2019
oloyedayo:

it happens to a friend in Osogbo, same case with yours but slightly different . He was picked up by IRT police fortunately he purchase the phone in a shop and still has the receipt and the park. That was what saved him . seems the phone was repackage as new phone before been sold .
Re: Can Two Phones Have The Same IMEI Nunber? by wamide042(m): 12:27pm On Oct 27, 2019
Conceptman:
Who remembers that code used in checking the IMEI

*#06#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Mobile Antivirus Is The Best / The Galaxy F, Samsung Foldable Device / Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.