Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,155 members, 7,835,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

What Can My Sister Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Can My Sister Do? (1990 Views)

My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate / "Why I Married My Sister" - 25-Year-Old Anambra Teacher / My Sister Is Cheating On Her Husband For Not Supporting Her Financially (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can My Sister Do? by Fantachapman(m): 7:04pm On Oct 26, 2019
Hello nairalanders,

Ever since our guardians left us, I have been the one taking care of my younger siblings, i was able to set my younger brother in business but our last born is a girl and she has been out of school for too long. She has WAEC, I don't have money to train her through university so if you can advice on any program she can do for one year, so she can get a tertiary qualification I would be grateful. It is not good as she is at home and not doing anything. Men are coming for her hand but she says she wants to get at least one tertiary qualification first.

Please what can someone study that will take one year? Thanks as you answer.

3 Likes

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:26pm On Oct 26, 2019
I don’t think there’s any such thing as a tertiary qualification that can be earned in one year.

Set her up for some skill acquisition. Simple. She could start earning good cash in no distant future, and assist herself through school if she so wishes.

6 Likes

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by Florblu(f): 7:28pm On Oct 26, 2019
I commend your effort so far in ensuring your siblings are fine.

Since she insist on getting a tertiary education, i will advise you enroll her into one of the polytechnics or college of education around you where she can run a part-time program while she work as well in order to support whatever it is you might be giving her. When choosing a polytechnic or college of education please ensure you pick a federal institution as they pay less.

Also, if the men coming to ask for her hands in marriage love her enough to train her in school (which i think only few men will want to do that due to many stories of ladies dumping men who trained them in school after graduation) they can do that as well

6 Likes

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by midnighter(f): 8:11pm On Oct 26, 2019
Train her in a skill and let her be earning some money

Maybe further along the line you can combine some earnings and get her into a school with a low fee

2 Likes

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by blesskewe(f): 8:43pm On Oct 26, 2019
Skill nko??

Later school

1 Like

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by sisisioge: 9:36pm On Oct 26, 2019
Hmmmm...let your sister get a job and a NOUN form for distant learning program. She would save to pay her way through school while you help her augment here and there. I guess what she meant by one year tertiary education is actually spending one year experiencing "school". I dont blame her though, she can go all the way if she truly wants albeit with some distance.

4 Likes

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by Resurgent2016: 9:38pm On Oct 26, 2019
Fantachapman:
Hello nairalanders,

Ever since our guardians left us, I have been the one taking care of my younger siblings, i was able to set my younger brother in business but our last born is a girl and she has been out of school for too long. She has WAEC, I don't have money to train her through university so if you can advice on any program she can do for one year, so she can get a tertiary qualification I would be grateful. It is not good as she is at home and not doing anything. Men are coming for her hand but she says she wants to get at least one tertiary qualification first.

In demand skill that can be learnt within 1 year and sell well even without any tertiary qualification - coding/programming

1 Like

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by ifyalways(f): 1:25pm On Oct 27, 2019
Resurgent2016:

In demand skill that can be learnt within 1 year and sell well even without any tertiary qualification - coding/programming
In one year? Someone with no prior IT background can learn it perfectly, as in, enough to earn decent income in one year?

Make i dust my brain now if na so e easy. cheesy Abi na how to do 5K website for people u mean because those ones no follow.
Re: What Can My Sister Do? by Resurgent2016: 1:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
ifyalways:

In one year? Someone with no prior IT background can learn it perfectly, as in, enough to earn decent income in one year?

Make i dust my brain now if na so e easy. cheesy Abi na how to do 5K website for people u mean because those ones no follow.

Yes Ify, with the right attitude and commitment, one can learn programming. I learnt HTML and CSS in 6months, using just my spare time. She will grow with time but at least be able to work on projects doing some amateur roles.

Moreso, there are lot of opportunities for ladies in STEM.
Re: What Can My Sister Do? by ifyalways(f): 1:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
Resurgent2016:

Yes Ify, with the right attitude and commitment, one can learn programming. I learnt HTML and CSS in 6months, using just my spare time. She will grow with time but at least be able to work on projects doing some amateur roles.

Moreso, there are lot of opportunities for ladies in STEM.
Good to know. @OP, this is a good option if your sister is interested in IT.
Re: What Can My Sister Do? by frozen70g(f): 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2019
Fantachapman:
Hello nairalanders,

For me, I will suggest she learns hair making

Or even tailoring, which ever she chooses because these are the things she can still do aside even If she is in a tertiary institution

Let her learn one hand work it's going to be useful to her for life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by nuelyoyo(m): 6:45am On Oct 28, 2019
sisisioge:
Hmmmm...let your sister get a job and a NOUN form for distant learning program. She would save to pay her way through school while you help her augment here and there. I guess what she meant by one year tertiary education is actually spending one year experiencing "school". I dont blame her though, she can go all the way if she truly wants albeit with some distance.
I don't think a job is the ideal thing for her, she is still young, so what I will advice is for her to learn a skill. Earning from a skill is more secured than working for salary. After she has learnt the skill, and well grounded in it, she can enroll for a two years programme in a tertiary institution (polytechnic or college of education).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by Richy4(m): 7:17am On Oct 28, 2019
How about cooking/ baking .. becoming a chef is now the newest/ biggest deal nowadays.
She can learn how to make cakes, Cook international Dish..etc.

Even after that, if she wants to do another career, the skills she got will not go to waste .. as she is studying, she can design wedding cakes for people, help organise function depending on their budget..

1 Like

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by Fantachapman(m): 4:40pm On Jan 14, 2020
I decided to come back and thank you for your contributions wonderful people. I have enrolled my sister at NOUN and I'm thinking of setting up a business for her, though I have not told her about the business plans yet. You have made wonderful suggestions and I have been observing her response in taking up responsibility to see what kind of business she would be good for. More suggestions are welcome.

5 Likes

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by LadySarah: 11:52pm On Jan 14, 2020
Fantachapman:
I decided to come back and thank you for your contributions wonderful people. I have enrolled my sister at NOUN and I'm thinking of setting up a business for her, though I have not told her about the business plans yet. You have made wonderful suggestions and I have been observing her response in taking up responsibility to see what kind of business she would be good for. More suggestions are welcome.

Weld one dear, I hope she makes you proud and may resources never lack. ISEEE

1 Like

Re: What Can My Sister Do? by Fantachapman(m): 3:25pm On Jan 17, 2020
LadySarah:

Weld one dear, I hope she makes you proud and may resources never lack. ISEEE
Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Wife Caught Husband Pleasuring Himself, His Excuse Will Surprise You / Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? / HIV Positive Woman Sues Husband For Refusing Her SEX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.