Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? (1983 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / Photo: Parents Be Careful (viewers Discretion Strongly Adviced) / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by raphy(m): 9:25pm On Mar 02, 2007
obesity?
Should governments be doing more to tackle the growing rate of obesity around the world or does the buck stop with parents?

From today all adverts for processed snacks and fast food in France will have to carry a health message encouraging people to stay healthy and take regular exercise.

The move affects advertisements on television, radio and billboards and the Internet for processed, sweetened or salted food and drinks. Advertisers who refuse to run the message face a fine of 1.5 percent of the cost of the ad.

Will these messages have an effect? What can be done to stop the rise in childhood obesity? Are parents doing enough to stop their child becoming overweight? Should your government be taking the issue more seriously?

ADD YOUR COMMENT
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by sisimose(f): 9:41pm On Mar 02, 2007
Sometimes yes, blame the parents, because they are in control of what gets eaten in their house. Now What the kids shove into their mouths in school or while out playing is another matter. I do think that if you teach them how to eat healthily, then it stays with them.

We can not blame some parents with children who have chemical in-balances in their brains, some kids have conditions that make them over eat, or just not burn off fat. Can not blame the parents here.(govt should assist parents here)

I say if a kid is obese at the age of 7 or 8 without any medical abnormality, then the parents need sorting out, that is just ridiculous.
Those above the age of 14 will go eat all the fries burgers, chocolate, etc just like their Friends are doing and this we can't blame on the parents.

I do not agree with govt telling us what to eat by forcing a change in our shopping habits, i do not because of principle. People have a choice.
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by naijacutee(f): 4:51pm On Mar 04, 2007
I think as long as the child does not contribute towards rent, water, electricity or food, they are their parents responsibility and therefore, the parents should be held accountable for everything concerning the child. Including their weight.
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by sisimose(f): 5:27pm On Mar 04, 2007
naijacutee:

I think as long as the child does not contribute towards rent, water, electricity or food, they are their parents responsibility and therefore, the parents should be held accountable for everything concerning the child. Including their weight.

i disagree
so if the child of 17 or 18 living at home, does not pay rent, water etc eats to oblivion and gets too fat that they need a crane to move him, it's his parent's fault?we know they eat stuff outside the house do you think they should be tagged by the parents? how can the parent be accountable for what a young adult shoved in his or her mouth? that is not being real at all
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by naijacutee(f): 8:22pm On Mar 04, 2007
If a 17/18-year-old-living-at-home is addicted to shoving food down their throat at will, then it's either that he hasn't been trained properly in the act of accepting "NO" as an answer OR they have been neglected by their parents. Especially in the formative years, children should be trained to understand that they cannot always get everything that they crave. Even food (within reason of course)
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Mar 04, 2007
Please let's not be insensitive. Obesity has a genetic component. I thin person is not necessarily better trained.
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by Free(f): 10:54pm On Mar 04, 2007
I think as long as the child does not contribute towards rent, water, electricity or food, they are their parents responsibility and therefore, the parents should be held accountable for everything concerning the child. Including their weight

i agree
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by sisimose(f): 11:01pm On Mar 04, 2007
naijacutee:

If a 17/18-year-old-living-at-home is addicted to shoving food down their throat at will, then it's either that he hasn't been trained properly in the act of accepting "NO" as an answer OR they have been neglected by their parents. Especially in the formative years, children should be trained to understand that they cannot always get everything that they crave. Even food (within reason of course)

so you telling me all those children including me and you who have been trained in our formative years to say NO to things like sex before marriage, drugs , drink etc have never broken one of such rules or training ? get real parents can do the best they can , even some people who were brought up Bishops or the most morally upright parents still do things once the strings have been cut off or even before. have you not heard of some of these muslim girls who in London cover themselves with hijab from home and when they get to school they do all sorts? well if you havent i have . It is not 100% the parents fault, especailly when there is a biological problem with the child.
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by naijacutee(f): 6:18am On Mar 05, 2007
Seun:

Please let's not be insensitive. Obesity has a genetic component. I thin person is not necessarily better trained.

Not just trying to be insensitive but yes some cases of obesity can be blamed on genes. However, more often that not, if we are to be true to ourselves, most cases are due to parents who cannot be bothered to make the effort to regulate their childrens eating habits.

sisimose:

so you telling me all those children including me and you who have been trained in our formative years to say NO to things like sex before marriage, drugs , drink etc have never broken one of such rules or training ? get real parents can do the best they can , even some people who were brought up Bishops or the most morally upright parents still do things once the strings have been cut off or even before. have you not heard of some of these muslim girls who in London cover themselves with hijab from home and when they get to school they do all sorts? well if you havent i have . It is not 100% the parents fault, especailly when there is a biological problem with the child.

Don't get me wrong, no one is perfect. Yes, we have broken rules at one time or the other but "accidentally going astray" once, twice, three or even four times will not make you obese. These problems come from years of negligence to a child's eating habits. Actually, in the UK some movements support that childhood obesity is a form of child abuse and suggest parents should be prosecuted. (See: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm060605/text/60605w0684.htm)

Now, you and I are Nigerians. We were probably brought up to learn that the standard diet routine consists of 3-square meals a day, we probably ate rice and stew at least 3 times a week, eba/pounded yam at least once a week. We probably bought oranges, agabalumo, bananas and groundnuts by the roadside as treats. In the West, some parents do not insist on a diet pattern. Once the kids cut their first set of teeth, they introduce them to McDonalds "Happy Meals" - processed fish fingers, processed chicken nuggets and processed chips for meals. No fruit, no veg! I used to work in McDonald's and I can boldly say there were a few families that came everyday for lunch, straight after school. Same order everyday. Some of these parents are too lazy to prepare food, too busy to monitor their childrens diets or too young to understand!
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by bunmii(f): 11:40am On Mar 05, 2007
yeah they should be blamed if the kid depends on his parents for everything i.e h/she hasn't got no part time job but if the kids is getting paid elsewhere & buying junk with the money then i don't think the parent should be blamed
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by sisimose(f): 12:01am On Mar 09, 2007
Naijacutie
i hear you smiley .
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by FactorChic(f): 1:02am On Mar 09, 2007
Before you post something, make sure your english is correct angry
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by sisimose(f): 2:15am On Mar 09, 2007
FactorChic:

Before you post something, make sure your english is correct angry

what's the fuss about the English for? we understand the topic, even with the clear typo. Lets not get carried away with colonial mentality and with English language snobbery wink. Only Nigerians say such things to fellow Nigerians, what is the big fuss.

@Topic,
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by raphy(m): 9:56pm On Mar 10, 2007
:Dhi
nize one from naijacutie d parents are to be blame for obese kids.
they are the one to teach there kids how to eat n drink.
any way it doest matter when the kid doest abide to the homes rules of eating.
i see kids who are 7yrs look like old woman becuz of obesity embarassed wink
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by dudubobo1: 11:07am On Mar 17, 2007
woteva any1 says, it's the parents' fault. They shd teach their children the right things and the proper way to live. If the child does not live properly, the parents need to take responsibilty.
Many of such parents think that gicing their children chocolate and always never making the child unhappy is what it is to be a good and loving parent
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by mioemi2000(m): 11:19am On Mar 17, 2007
spare the cane nor the child. Every child is innocent whether right or wrong. It is the responsibility of the parents to put thinks right when getting bad
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by Seun(m): 11:57am On Mar 17, 2007
Many of such parents think that gicing their children chocolate and always never making the child unhappy is what it is to be a good and loving parent
I guess you think that deliberately making your child unhappy regularly is what makes a good parent?
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by naijacutee(f): 11:13am On Mar 18, 2007
This link is specially for those who think that "The West/whites are always right"
This is a poll on the Yahoo UK News pages concerning parents of obese kids. This is the Westerners take on this : http://post.euro.polls.yahoo.com/quiz/quizresults.php
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by mamaput(f): 11:38am On Mar 18, 2007
Everyone is born with a mind of their own.
Children watch from their parents.
My children are home alone at lunch time and cook alone.
Two times a week they eat at school.
They get money to buy the food they want.
And am not there with them.
But they know what is right or wrong.
The big but is But do they do it
One of my kids has a wight problem she just loves food always has.And i cannot lock my kitchen.
I love food too but it dose not show on me. I can eat a whole chicken and a bar of chocklate in one sitting.
Are parents to blame? in a way yes because they see it comming.
They should educate the kids on healthy eating habits.And make them move,.
Good manners is also important,Children need to learn at home not to pig in.
When my daughter was 4 i noticed she a,always finished her food and even ate up the left overs of her sisters.I put a stop to that. Its not everythink you see you eat.
I have a scale and she has a limit i put for her.
So now if she pigs in and hits the limit,. she puts her self on a diet.
I will say if i did not have my hand on it from day one she would have been really fat by now.
But she loves food and it takes alot of discipline from her .
I am not there all the timeso she is more or less on her own
But with small kids the parents are there and have to put a stop to it
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by Igbowife(f): 4:06pm On Mar 18, 2007
Hello!

We are a family living now in austria.my husband is an Igbo.We have two children.
2girls.i would like to go to nigeria already,but we are still saving money.can somebody give me advice of how to make things go faster so that i can see his family soon?

Thanks!
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by sisimose(f): 4:10pm On Mar 18, 2007
Igbowife
hello
but your hubby should sort that out
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by Glamourgal(f): 4:11pm On Mar 18, 2007
@ topic: hell yea!!
u stuff the kid, what were u expecting?! angry
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by raphy(m): 8:10pm On Mar 18, 2007
hi wazup!
igbowife i hope u are white? if so u need to tell ur hubby that u want to come 2 naija
n for ur information i need to meet nigeria embassy there 2.
@ topic parents are responsible for fat kids kids learn from there parents tot am not fat.
i was was fat before exercise make me look good wink
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by dudubobo1: 12:10pm On Mar 19, 2007
Seun:

I guess you think that deliberately making your child unhappy regularly is what makes a good parent?

By deciding and chosing only to give your child what's good for him/her and denying him/her what's harmful in the long run, you are a much better parent than stupid people who want their children to be happy in the short run and end up miserable later in life
Re: Should Parents Be Blame For Obese Kids? by dudubobo1: 11:36am On Aug 16, 2007

(1) (Reply)

The True Qualities For Which To Chose A Spouse. / My Baby Girl Bed Wet / Please Help Me Out ( Pregnant)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.