Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom (11211 Views)

Best Hosting Company For Bloggers / Please What Is The Best Hosting Company In Nigeria? / Start Your Web Hosting Company With Whmcs Unlimited License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Anayordike(m): 8:32pm On Oct 26, 2019
Dear Webmaster please I want you to advise me on how to solve this issue withour website host.

About 7 years ago my church decided to own a website and I was asked to take up though I don't know anything about web development and hosting and the likes. Though I learned it.

Then one of my Boss brothers helped us to get the website done and running online and my boss later renbused him and that is how we have been doing it up to date.

The website subscription was due for renewal this last September but due to logistics we were unable to get it done before it was suspended. I contacted the guy and he said that it was because we have not paid.
However, later discovered that he was just a reseller, he doesn't have a hosting company. He has been give us outrageous bills and Boss has been complaining too.

Then I did research and discovered another hosting company that was cheaper and direct. When I informed my Boss he said we should move on and did signed up for 3 years with the new hosting company.
So when we tried launch our website with the new company it was not going and so have to contact them. It was then they told us that the website was being hosted by.... hosting company and that it's been suspended.
They advised me to contact the former hosting company to point the domain to the new hosting company.
I then contacted this guys and asking him to release the domain name to us but was infuriated claiming he is not going to release it unless we pay him for this year. He claimed that he had renewed it on our behalf. I told him that no one will believe him. How come paid for it and it was still suspended? Did he renew it and went ahead to ask the hosting company to suspend it?
HOW can we pay for something we didn't use?

Please advise me on how to go about this issue. Should I change the domain name and abandon the domain for him?
I don't want us both to go our different ways in disagreement.
What's the best way out?

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by ediko5(m): 9:50pm On Oct 26, 2019
If the site has been suspended,

He has to renew that hosting for at least one month, for him to be able to backup the site if it's WordPress or membership site with database. Same thing with domain, the domain has to be functional for domain transfer to be executed.

Note: If your site has been suspended for more than one month, most (if not all) web hosting companies do charge a fee to restore back the suspended site contents ( this is different from the renewal fee you'll pay). Godaddy charges about $250. Qservers charges 6k.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by SirLakes: 10:12pm On Oct 26, 2019
Domain n host are two different things.
Domain can be renewed n hosting still suspended(if not renewed)

If truly he renewed the domain, refund him, and get the domain details, change the details or move it to another registrar completely.

Moreover how will you know if the domain has been renewed or not.

visit: whois.net
Check the Registry expiry date.

If it has expired, don't pay him.

Change the domain name n move on, and if the domain is very important to you, go and buy it in auction marketplace of the registrar, or be on the lookout for when it will be available for purchase again(in months).

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Ayemileto(m): 11:21pm On Oct 26, 2019
Just like the guy above said, Domain and Hosting are two different things.

It's possible to renew domain with hosting still suspended.

Check the day the domain was updated and the expiry date of the domain on whois.net

You'll know if he has renewed it.

1 Like

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by sylve11: 6:27am On Oct 27, 2019
@ op, my advice to you is, nor smart pass yourself. be careful! undecided cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by FactBoyz: 6:27am On Oct 27, 2019
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Neddstark: 6:31am On Oct 27, 2019
Guy, the website designer who is a hosting/domain reseller kept your website domain live for awhile. To keep a website from attaining the redemption period where no one can access it before it becomes available takes money. He is not cheating you. Just pay him for the domain transfer, that's the main thing to do.
Since he claimed he hosted it, pay him off too. This is just an advice, though he has no right to host when you havent told him to. I am saying this to avoid stress of unnecessary gra gra. Las las everything will be not be more than 20k then tell him to transfer the domain fully to you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by MountainView: 6:31am On Oct 27, 2019
Please, who are you referring to as your Boss, your Pastor??

5 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Anayordike(m): 6:33am On Oct 27, 2019
SirLakes:
Domain n host are two different things.
Domain can be renewed n hosting still suspended(if not renewed)

If truly he renewed the domain, refund him, and get the domain details, change the details or move it to another registrar completely.

Moreover how will you know if the domain has been renewed or not.

visit: whois.net
Check the Registry expiry date.

If it has expired, don't pay him.

Change the domain name n move on, and if the domain is very important to you, go and buy it in auction marketplace of the registrar, or be on the lookout for when it will be available for purchase again(in months).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by dheaven: 6:33am On Oct 27, 2019
Op ignorance is your major problem here. Look for web developers to guide you because the guy may be right.
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by xmarksthespot: 6:34am On Oct 27, 2019
Please pay him and move to the new webhost....

Next time, always renew your site at least 30 days before expiration if the domain is important to you... if you miss the renewal, then you have no choice but pay what your webhost tells you...

5 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by snadguy007(m): 6:34am On Oct 27, 2019
If truly he renewed the domain name, you have no choice than to pay him except you want to let go of the name and get a new domain

2 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by anochuko01(m): 6:35am On Oct 27, 2019
dheaven:
Op ignorance is your major problem here. Look for web developers to guide you because the guy may be right.
Don't you have sense on Sunday mornings? Isn't that why he's here seeking for guide? Some people sha!

25 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by naijadrivablog: 6:36am On Oct 27, 2019
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Anayordike(m): 6:39am On Oct 27, 2019
sylve11:
@ op, my advice to you is, nor smart pass yourself. be careful! undecided cool

Hay, my brother am not here for smartness please. Besides, I will prefer you say what you know by offering me solutions.
And if you don't have any for me please leave me alone.
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 27, 2019
Send me a private message with the website URL, I'll have a look and tell you where the breakdown is happening.

3 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Emyo(m): 6:40am On Oct 27, 2019
OP your likes frustrates programmers and ends calling them scammers.

You even expected the innocent programmer to have a hosting and domain providing company, hence he is a reseller for not owning such company.

How do you want thunder to strike you?

5 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by MisterGrace: 6:42am On Oct 27, 2019
This is not encouraging. The guy kept your website alive all the while. No downtime or errors.

It means he's good. Hosting renewal is different from domain renewal. Apart from that, he buys data always to either back it up or upgrade the CMS, plugins, extensions or components.

It is not easy. I don't know how much he charges you but it's best you pay him and then take control of your website and move to another hosting next year.

But note that your prospective hosting platform renewal charges will increase as the year goes by.
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Vicintonsh(m): 6:44am On Oct 27, 2019
There is no way he could have renewed the domain and the hosting company still suspends it, how long ago were you supposed to renew?
the hosting package and domain might be in the Grace period (most hosting company gives this after expiration). if the guy still insists on being paid for the domain.... dot com domains don't cost more than $10, pay him and have him transfer your domain to the new hosting company, or you forget about the domain and buy another one with your new hosting company.

PS: he shouldn't point the domain to your new hosting company server, he ll still have all control over the domain and this your problem will only be part 1
_cheers_

2 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by MisterGrace: 6:53am On Oct 27, 2019
Vicintonsh:
There is no way he could have renewed the domain and the hosting company still suspends it, how long ago were you supposed to renew?
the hosting package and domain might be in the Grace period (most hosting company gives this after expiration). if the guy still insists on being paid for the domain.... dot com domains don't cost more than $10, pay him and have him transfer your domain to the new hosting company, or you forget about the domain and buy another one with your new hosting company.

PS: he shouldn't point the domain to your new hosting company server, he ll still have all control over the domain and this your problem will only be part 1
_cheers_

You are wrong,
Renewal is of two different types.
If you renew your domain name and refuse renew your hosting, your account remains suspended.

1 Like

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by lyriclekidd(m): 6:54am On Oct 27, 2019
Okay
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by ilekky(m): 6:57am On Oct 27, 2019
There are 2 things in this case which we need to get clearly...The domain name expired and you did not renewed on time

It is possible it entered redemption period and that is why he gave you a high price...He has not cheated you but why not engage

him and have a peaceful resolution....If you said you saw a cheaper one,i wont agree with you because web hosting has shared,vps and dedicated

servers...You dont know the plan he has given you but the only solution is for you to see him and resolve peacefully.
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Femeto: 7:05am On Oct 27, 2019
Anayordike:
Dear Webmaster please I want you to advise me on how to solve this issue withour website host.

About 7 years ago my church decided to own a website and I was asked to take up though I don't know anything about web development and hosting and the likes. Though I learned it.

Then one of my Boss brothers helped us to get the website done and running online and my boss later renbused him and that is how we have been doing it up to date.

The website subscription was due for renewal this last September but due to logistics we were unable to get it done before it was suspended. I contacted the guy and he said that it was because we have not paid.
However, later discovered that he was just a reseller, he doesn't have a hosting company. He has been give us outrageous bills and Boss has been complaining too.

Then I did research and discovered another hosting company that was cheaper and direct. When I informed my Boss he said we should move on and did signed up for 3 years with the new hosting company.
So when we tried launch our website with the new company it was not going and so have to contact them. It was then they told us that the website was being hosted by.... hosting company and that it's been suspended.
They advised me to contact the former hosting company to point the domain to the new hosting company.
I then contacted this guys and asking him to release the domain name to us but was infuriated claiming he is not going to release it unless we pay him for this year. He claimed that he had renewed it on our behalf. I told him that no one will believe him. How come paid for it and it was still suspended? Did he renew it and went ahead to ask the hosting company to suspend it?
HOW can we pay for something we didn't use?

Please advise me on how to go about this issue. Should I change the domain name and abandon the domain for him?
I don't want us both to go our different ways in disagreement.
What's the best way out?

Thanks
Pay the money. Your lucky you still have the domain name.
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Realdeals(m): 7:08am On Oct 27, 2019
Anayordike, if the screenshot you uploaded is of the domain, it is expired and the guy cannot point it to any server.

It is advisable you call the guy to renew the domain name TODAY. You might find it difficult and more expensive to renew as from tomorrow, he's the only one that can help you for now if you still need that domain name.

2 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Pgateway: 7:10am On Oct 27, 2019
Try and sort it out with him
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by skyhighweb(m): 7:21am On Oct 27, 2019
ediko5:
If the site has been suspended,

He has to renew that hosting for at least one month, for him to be able to backup the site if it's WordPress or membership site with database. Same thing with domain, the domain has to be functional for domain transfer to be executed.

Note: If your site has been suspended for more than one month, most (if not all) web hosting companies do charge a fee to restore back the suspended site contents ( this is different from the renewal fee you'll pay). Godaddy charges about $250. Qservers charges 6k.
go daddy charges 250 for what?
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by dannywest: 7:26am On Oct 27, 2019
Clear your old bills.

If the domain was suspended already you have to pay before you make any modifications.

Someone let his company domain expire, someone else bought it on auction after 30 days and he had to pay $400.

Next time renew before expiry.

Settle the guy and move on. At this point you are the one holding him to ransom.

Ps. Signing up for 3 years with a company you have no experience with because it's cheap is very likely to end in tears. Quality of hardware and service differ wildly.

2 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Vicintonsh(m): 7:28am On Oct 27, 2019
MisterGrace:

You are wrong,
Renewal is of two different types.
If you renew your domain name and refuse renew your hosting, your account remains suspended.

you can renew only your domain and point it to another server(host) from you hosting account dashboard.
it remains suspended only if your domain still points to the unrenewed host server.

2 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:33am On Oct 27, 2019
If the domain name is suspended then you need to renew it before pointing it to another server. It's as simple as ABC

2 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 27, 2019
Dear OP, please thread carefully, he might have renewed the domain name otherwise after like say three months the company can resell that name to someone else, besides that he that registered and setup the website is the only one that can move it to another hosting site/server, once it is out of his hosting account then you can have control, no go fight oh...

Plan b, if you are good with web development, you can replicate the website and even build a better one within the next few days.. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by sylve11: 7:41am On Oct 27, 2019
Anayordike:

Hay, my brother am not here for smartness please. Besides, I will prefer you say what you know by offering me solutions.
And if you don't have any for me please leave me alone.
Thanks

i would have loved to give yu a story with similar situations. Somethings happening to us can be averted, yes by our very selves. But consider what i just told you to be nonsense and move ahead. Weep and you shall weep alone.

I don leave you alone sha. sad cool
Re: My Former Website Hosting Company Is Holding Me To Ransom by bedfordng(m): 7:42am On Oct 27, 2019
guess he is trying to get paid since he feels you are shifting to a new host. an hosting plan cannot be suspended after payment if payment was the reason for the suspension in the first place.

you can make a deal with him and pay half hosting if the charges are not much and also tell him to backup the contents and database for you. he should also give you access to the domain login so you can do the changes yourself or your new host can assist with that . the domain should be your major priority to get hold of because you can change server from there. I just hope the guy is not using same hosting for domain purchase too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cosmo, The Hacker ‘god’ Who Fell To Earth - MUST READ (PART 2) / Checklist For Starting A Successful Blog From Scratch / Solution To Sms Sending Failed Unit (bulk Sms Website)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.