Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome (13398 Views)

Man Takes Selfie At Accident Scene That Killed Driver & Others / FRSC Hands Over N2 Million Recovered At Accident Scene In Ogun (Photos) / Good Samaritan Almost Accused Of Murder By Police At Accident Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Shaynai: 12:42am On Oct 27, 2019
The Federal Road Safety Corps and a non-governmental organisation, Health Emergency Initiative have decried what they described as the poor attitude of Nigerians to road accidents and other emergency situations in Nigeria.

Speaking at a training organised by HEI for first responders in Lagos, the Lagos Sector Commander of the FRSC, Mr Hyginus Omeje, said smartphones use by many Nigerians to take pictures and make videos of accident victims for social media had become a sad practice.

“An unconscious person might just need cardiopulmonary resuscitation to come back to life. Death doesn't take time; it is in seconds and if you don’ t take charge of the golden minute or hour, anything can happen. I think Nigerians need to change their attitude to crash scenes." He said.

The Executive Director of HEI, Pascal Achinine, said the programme was aimed at promoting behavioural change, adding that a positive attitude towards accidents and emergency situations could reduce fatality by 75 per cent with support from the Nigeria Police and other relevant agencies.

Source:
https://www.denland.site/2019/10/frsc-decried-poor-attitude-of-nigerians.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Ngwamankillyou(m): 3:47am On Oct 27, 2019
You mean a country housing almost 65 percent of mad people in Africa... Find another excuses pls.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by elohim24: 6:07am On Oct 27, 2019
I think a law should be passed punishing anyone caught doing this, Nairaland should also put a check to this, any thread containing graphic content should be deleted. I have no idea what people tend to gain capturing other's nightmares in still and video photography. Smart phones have really made some of us dumb in Nigeria.

40 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by MountainView: 6:07am On Oct 27, 2019
You have to understand that, many Nigerians lack sympathy, they only care about the likes and the views.

I'm looking for an investor for my Tech Startup

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by nazicartel(m): 6:07am On Oct 27, 2019
cenaman:
If you had an accident in IPOB land, if them no know u OYO is ur case.
stop saying bilshit nigga...

3 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by nazicartel(m): 6:07am On Oct 27, 2019
This is really bad especially in Nigeria.... Sometimes I ask my self why they are even taking pictures of the accident scene...[color=#000099][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by voltron14: 6:10am On Oct 27, 2019
I was appalled to see the photos of Iheanacho's PA's accident scene here on Nairaland just yesterday.

No sense of decency nor privacy amongst our people.

There is still a primitive nature we exhibit and it needs to be exorcised quickly.

8 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Decolonel(m): 6:10am On Oct 27, 2019
For the first time they are saying something meaningful.

4 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by olatunyemi(m): 6:11am On Oct 27, 2019
Our orientation as accident management is very poor and no one really cares. This are things ministry of health could broadcast on how to manage fire, road and other accidents.
How many people can do CPR? If those taken pictures even wanted to help, they don't know how

5 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by dadebayo1(m): 6:11am On Oct 27, 2019
Too bad grin social media ish grin grin there was a time someone uploaded a video of a man crossing over to the other side.... Lots of social media aproko grin
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by seanswitch(m): 6:14am On Oct 27, 2019
You see we bereft of thinkers in this country.
Imagine, just imagine if all those who did NYSC since inception were mandated to take courses in paramedics and emergency care. At least we will have one person out of 5 that will volunteer to help the person in need while the others continue to take pictures.

I volunteered to join Red cross a long while ago after my encounter on my first trip to Abuja. A man was visibly alive after been pulled from a car that veered into a canal. He was alive, his soul fighting to stay alive, but all we could do was watch him. I realised how useless I was at that point and how useful I could have been to that man. He was left alone to die surrounded by people who knew next to nothing about emergency care. It could have been me I said to myself.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Truthbites: 6:15am On Oct 27, 2019
elohim24:
I think a law should be passed punishing anyone caught doing this, Nairaland should also put a check to this, any thread containing graphic content should be deleted. I have no idea what people tend to gain capturing other's nightmares in still and video photography. Smart phones have really made some of us dumb in Nigeria.

I completely agree with u. In the Western world, if you spread graphic content and u are caught, it's jail term. Nigerians will just spread graphic content on their blogs as if it's prestigious ..sigh!

2 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Goldencheese(m): 6:15am On Oct 27, 2019
The government should make it easy for those trying to help accident victims to get to the hospital or to the police station, in case it is not fatal, not to be criminalised, the way it is being done presently. More Nigerians, who are the kindest people in the world, would want to help if they would not be harassed or intimidated by the police when they want to help accident victims. And our healthcare providers should also assist by saving such lives first before demanding egregious hospital bills in order to attend to accident victims brought to the hospital. A law can be passed in this direction.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Xbee007(m): 6:18am On Oct 27, 2019
elohim24:
How many times have we told Seun this? Any graphic picture that is posted online will be there forever for anyone to see, even the loved ones of the victims which can be devastating.

Nigerian government need to ban the posting of graphic pictures of people online and sanction erring sites.

For now though, nothing is going to change. At least, NL should place age restrictions on those pictures because kids use this site as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Pat081: 6:27am On Oct 27, 2019
Goldencheese:
The government should make it easy for those trying to help accident victims to get to the hospital or to the police station in case it is not fatal not to be criminalised, the way it is being done presently. More Nigerians, who are the kindest people in the world, would want to help if they would not be harassed or intimidated by the police when they want to help accident victims. And our healthcare providers should also assist by saving such lives first before demanding egregious hospital bills in order to attend to accident victims brought to the hospital. A law can be passed in this direction.
U re right,but this Nigeria police report hmmmm, always send people away from helping accident people because if the person should dead inside someone car the person will write statements or go to jail self

1 Like

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Goalnaldo(m): 6:31am On Oct 27, 2019
Smh. The same people condemning this issue will be the same set of people that will scream "picture or I don't believe it" or "awon blogger blogger no pictures?"

6 Likes

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by symbianDON(m): 6:36am On Oct 27, 2019
well said. there's need for a total overhaul of our orientation in this regard.
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:51am On Oct 27, 2019
Funny thing is that Nigerians will prefer to video a dying victim and be the first to post on social media rather than being the first to save his life.
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by RichDad1(m): 6:52am On Oct 27, 2019
All thanks to Instablog and other hungry bloggers
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Blinkers: 6:52am On Oct 27, 2019
Ngwamankillyou:
You mean a country housing almost 65 percent of mad people in Africa... Find another excuses pls.

cool

Just look at the idîot that commented below you!

This is part of the problem you talked about.
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by VirginSearcher(m): 6:57am On Oct 27, 2019
cenaman:
[s]If you had an accident in IPOB land, if them no know u OYO is ur case[/s].
Tribalism will lead you nowhere its better to repent now

1 Like

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by Goldencheese(m): 7:17am On Oct 27, 2019
cheesy grin

That is why it needs to be addressed. If you want accident victims to be assisted, the police should not harass or intimidate those who want to help.

Pat081:
U re right,but this Nigeria police report hmmmm, always send people away from helping accident people because if the person should dead inside someone car the person will write statements or go to jail self

1 Like

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by slimfit1(m): 7:27am On Oct 27, 2019
They are the once that need to cover the dead thats what normal authorities do aroundthe world. There should be a private ambulance that should come and carry bodies if necessary or at least cover the bodies with a bag.
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by awoluyi(m): 8:08am On Oct 27, 2019
Many people in this country have lost humanity in them.
Human being is no more seen as a sacred creature again. Nigerians have become so dehumanized to the extent that a handset thief can be roasted publicly.
Only few care about the existence of others.
The focus is now on unholy trinity : I, ME and MYSELF.
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by BlackBaron: 8:29am On Oct 27, 2019
elohim24:
I agree with this. I have made several posts here on Nairaland plus even petitions to senators to pass laws against publishing such photos. It's macabre and disgusting to see mangled and graphic content. I don't know if Seun has a fetish for such contents!
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by AmazingELixir: 8:52am On Oct 27, 2019
grin grin grin

But y'all know graphic contents have an allure that is hard to resist by online viewers besides the added benefits of traffic which might have commercial implications going forward.

Personally I used to be very scared of grotesque accidents scenes and gory images of blood letting but what I have seen on this platform and others I think my phobia for these things is gone.

I forgot to add my best programme on cable TV is haunted houses grin

On the flip side I think I'm better suited to help accident victims thanks to online graphic stuff

1 Like

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by LoudlyMouthed: 8:58am On Oct 27, 2019
I tire for som "first commen"ters
Dey wan snap
Dey wan brodkast
Dey wan connive traffic into dir empty blogs

Nonsense n MTheaded Fulls
Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by weslay: 11:28am On Oct 27, 2019
It is really sad that Nigerians don't value human life. It hurts me more to know that anyone can be the victim at anytime. I remember sometime in 2012 around December on Benin/Ore expressway, a hiace bus conveying school children collided with a truck. Most of the children had minor injuries, but two of them were in critical condition and required urgent medical attention. People were battling to help the kids, and other people were trying to get the unconscious driver out of the wreckage. Some policemen in a convoy of some white engineers got to the scene. All the pleas for help to get the kids to the nearest hospital fell on deaf ears. The policemen simply cleared the traffic to make way for their convoy and continued on their journey. That day, I lost any hope i had in our law enforcement agencies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hyginus Omeje Describes Taking photos at accident scenes worrisome by God1stson(m): 3:17pm On Oct 27, 2019
elohim24:
Pple who do these things on accident scene are callous, no love and are not God fearing.quote me .If any one in this forum have ever done that, they should desist henceforth as what goes around comes around.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boat Accident Claims Eight Lives In Bayelsa / Air Peace Accused Of Abandoning Abuja-Owerri Passangers Without Food / Foreign Airlines Lobby Governors, Others For More Flight Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.