Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,181 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers (14076 Views)

Where Does One Go To Submit CV In Abuja / Terrible Act Of Employers / FREE CV Template: Create A Professional CV In 15 Minutes Or Less (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:49am On Oct 27, 2019
If you’re job hunting, then you should be familiar with ATS, not Accounting Technician Scheme but Applicant Tracking System. Who knows, it may be the reason you’re not hearing back from employers after submitting your application and invariably, the reason you’re still without a job.

Applicant Tracking System is a computer software used in managing recruitment processes. It reduces the workload of recruiters in that it helps them screen-out candidates who do not meet certain criteria for the position like years of experience, academic qualification, skill set, etc.

ATS is commonly used in developed countries, USA, UK, Canada, etc, but I’m not sure how common it is with Nigerian companies. But for certain, it is being used. A few friends of mine in HR have personally confided in me that they use Applicant Tracking Systems in screening candidates. That it makes their work easier as they have to spend less time reviewing CVs.

However, the purpose of this article is not to inform you that ATS exist or that it is used here in Nigeria (because I believe you know that already), but to show you how to beat the ATS and get your CV in front of the hiring manager.

How To Beat ATS

1. Avoid the use of acronyms. Most applicant tracking systems are not designed to recognize acronyms, so you’ll be shooting yourself on the foot if you use them frequently on your CV. If you are a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, for instance, instead of ICAN, write out the name of the professional body in full. The same applies to the companies you’ve worked with, the position you’ve held and the certificates and diplomas you have earned.

2. Use keywords relating to your field on your CV. Include keywords on your CVs qualification summary section. What some people do these days, especially professional CV writers is to include an additional section on a CV and label it “Core Competencies” or “Areas of Expertise” and list keywords under it. You can try it out, it helps. This is another reason applicants are encouraged to customize each CV for a particular role. When you do that you’ll be having different sets of keywords for each position you apply for that are related to the job. One-size -fit-all does not apply to CVs.

3. Do not add anything on the header or Footer. I have seen people include their names, contact and addresses on the Headers of their CVs. It’s not advisable to do that as it could work against you, where the Applicant Tracking System is in use.

4. Use the right format for your CV. There are hundreds of formats out there, but the most acceptable ones are the chronological, functional and hybrid (also known as combination) formats. You can choose from among the three. Don’t try to be too creative. Put the ATS into consideration in whatever you decide to do with your CV.

5. Use standard CV headings. The standard CV headings are “Qualifications Summary” or “Summary of Qualifications,” “Work Experience” or “Work History,” “Objective,” “Education,” etc. Do not attempt to give any of the sections a name that is known only to you. For instance, using “About Me” instead of “Qualifications Summary.” The Applicant Tracking System may not recognize that, and may screen you out because as far as it is concerned, you do not have that section on your CV.

6. Avoid spelling mistakes. You won’t believe that some applicants still have spelling errors on their CVs. Tells a lot about the kind of person you are. That you’re “unserious” or not well-grounded academically. That’s if a human being is the one reviewing your CV, but if it’s the ATS, it’ll have no idea of what you mean, so instead of confusing it, it’ll throw your CV into the waste bin. Review and review your CV, over and over again for spelling errors before submitting it, so that you don’t embark on a futile journey.

7. Use normal fonts. Fancy fonts are not meant for CVs. Instead use fonts like Times New Roman, Calibri and Arial. The size of your font is also important too. Don’t use font size smaller than 11. If you do, you may get into trouble with the Applicant Tracking System.

There are several other tips, but I believe if you take these into account the next time you write or re-write your CV, you’ll begin to experience positive changes.

Success!

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/7-tips-to-beat-the-ats-and-get-your-cv-in-front-of-employers/

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:49am On Oct 27, 2019
FREE Cover Letters for the first 5 persons to order for our professional CV. Proceed to order HERE!
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by rentAcock(m): 8:45pm On Oct 28, 2019
8. Lie
If you've been trying to get a job for so long without any luck. Now is the time to lie. Include experiences from made up firms. Or include well known companies but tell your friends to act like your former supervisor when HR calls.

This was the way I got my first Job, I lied that I had internships and jobs at Fortune 500 companies in the UK. I had a relative pose as my manager. The recruiter actually called this guy in the UK to confirm, my guy used his posh british accent to convince the recruiter and that was how I got that sweet job. Needless to say, I have never traveled to the UK before.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by PheelzAlmighty: 8:46pm On Oct 28, 2019
I read this news and landed a job with CBN undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Ogaemmy: 8:46pm On Oct 28, 2019
cool
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Princerichi0(m): 8:46pm On Oct 28, 2019
Nice, I would have to edit my cv.
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by westlius(m): 8:47pm On Oct 28, 2019
Pls who can send an updated cv format.
Please help a bro
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by justice212: 8:47pm On Oct 28, 2019
All this are not The problem,there's only one problem here and there which is working experience.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by kcool360(m): 8:48pm On Oct 28, 2019
Nice one
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Dozie32(m): 8:49pm On Oct 28, 2019
I think I love this.
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by mitchyy(f): 8:51pm On Oct 28, 2019
We need more posts like this on the FP. Cool writeup!

3 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by iCauseTrouble: 8:52pm On Oct 28, 2019
How will this get me a job in NNPC, NLNG, NIMASA or CBN? shocked

3 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Femich18(m): 8:52pm On Oct 28, 2019
Princerichi0:
Nice, I would have to edit my cv.

The earlier the better
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Kingininge(m): 8:53pm On Oct 28, 2019
Its well
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by klad00(m): 8:55pm On Oct 28, 2019
After following all the procedure dem go still offer you less than 40k.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by roliks99(f): 8:55pm On Oct 28, 2019
Thanks a lot
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by chuksjuve(m): 8:58pm On Oct 28, 2019
The truth of the matter is that the best jobs are not usually advertised and they don't even need your cv.

Let's be guided please

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Luvdbyursista(m): 9:01pm On Oct 28, 2019
Please can you throw more light on your number 3?
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Rolex66: 9:05pm On Oct 28, 2019
Candidates should not be more than 27 years with a minimum of ten years experience kiss

4 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by bigstan11787(m): 9:06pm On Oct 28, 2019
The major problems of job search these days is the years of experience needed and their requirement its just something else
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 28, 2019

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by id4sho(m): 9:09pm On Oct 28, 2019
rentAcock:
8. Lie
If you've been trying to get a job for so long without any luck. Now is the time to lie. Include experiences from made up firms. Or include well known companies but tell your friends to act like your former supervisor when HR calls.

This was the way I got my first Job, I lied that I had internships and jobs at Fortune 500 companies in the UK. I had a relative pose as my manager. The recruiter actually called this guy in the UK to confirm, my guy used his posh british accent to convince the recruiter and that was how I got that sweet job. Needless to say, I have never traveled to the UK before.

Nigerian

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Nizguy(m): 9:11pm On Oct 28, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/7-tips-to-beat-the-ats-and-get-your-cv-in-front-of-employers/

Still not understanding the no. 3. Pls I need more explaination
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by wunmi590(m): 9:12pm On Oct 28, 2019
All this put this and dont put that, still boils down to Gods favour.

I have been the one typing my cvs all these while and God has been doing wonders.

When it's your time, nobody can deny you.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by MaziRidwan: 9:16pm On Oct 28, 2019
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by semasir: 9:17pm On Oct 28, 2019
Sometimes, your luck counts but I still wonder why ATS sometimes hasn't been picking me!
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Excelboi(m): 9:21pm On Oct 28, 2019
rentAcock:
8. Lie

Will they ask you for the contact of someone there, or na background verification Dem go do?
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Odunharry(m): 9:24pm On Oct 28, 2019
Avoid underlines.

Tailor the curriculum vitae to meet the job description.
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 28, 2019
I receive invites on weekly basis but I've not gotten a job. Maybe my CV meets up with the ATS of thing that's why I get invites.
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by qanda: 9:29pm On Oct 28, 2019
Re: 7 Tips To Beat The ATS And Get Your CV In Front Of Employers by nuelyoyo(m): 9:37pm On Oct 28, 2019
dayo2me:
I receive invites on weekly basis but I've not gotten a job. Maybe my CV meets up with the ATS of thing that's why I get invites.
I hope it's not GNLD invites

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Will You Choose? - A 100k Per Month Job Or A Lucrative Physical Handwork? / Should I Go For A Job Of 150k In Epe L.G.A / Career Opportunities At Nestle Nigeria Plc – Apply Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.