Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,926 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating (3240 Views)

My Toyota Corolla Verso Jerks When Accelerating / Honda Civic 2008 / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 2:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
I have a Honda civic 2008 model, about 1month ago I was coming from Church and the car started slowing down and wasn't moving past between 10-17 km/h, called up my mechanic and he said it was fuel filter. Had that changed still no pressure and was told to change the entire fuel pump. Pressure started well but car started with a cranking sound when starting up the engine and still won't start anymore. Was told to get a new gasket, engine top, timing chain, and adjuster then grind the valves. Now with all that done, the car starts but now no pressure again and so the engine dies off.

Any ideas what might be the problem and possible solution? I have had over 3 mechanics on it but still no ideas.

Need help, I need it for Taxify duties which I was doing before the problem started.

God bless.

Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by Mynewdawn15: 6:42pm On Oct 27, 2019
Op.
Though I am not a mechanic but first thing I did when I bought my car was to get a scanner.
Whenever I observed any drivability issues, CEL must come on, so I scan then tell my mechanic what I want to do and after that is done my car drives normal. Instead of trial and error method.

The issue might not be the fuel pump or all those things you have changed. Get a professional to diagnose the problem.

Also there is a Honda Maintenance tread here, post your question there you might get a remote assistance.

4 Likes

Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:46pm On Oct 27, 2019
Is your check engine light on?
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by samintegrity(m): 10:20pm On Oct 27, 2019
Kindly ask your mechanical to check the throttle sensor.

I had similar issue with my accord 2005, there was a time it starts, but won't throttle nor accelerate, when u change gear nothing works.

It won't go front neither would it move back.

In addition I could feel the engine sounds like it has lost some power, so took it a mech which he later discovered that the throttle sensor plug is broken

He simply applied gum to make it firm and that was all.
I don't know if yours is same issue but then, There's no crime in checking the sensor

1 Like

Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 10:39pm On Oct 27, 2019
Mynewdawn15:
Op.
Though I am not a mechanic but first thing I did when I bought my car was to get a scanner.
Whenever I observed any drivability issues, CEL must come on, so I scan then tell my mechanic what I want to do and after that is done my car drives normal. Instead of trial and error method.

The issue might not be the fuel pump or all those things you have changed. Get a professional to diagnose the problem.

Also there is a Honda Maintenance tread here, post your question there you might get a remote assistance.

Thank you, but I scanned and no errors
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 10:39pm On Oct 27, 2019
tensazangetsu20:
Is your check engine light on?

It's not on. Made sure of that... Just confused here men
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 10:40pm On Oct 27, 2019
samintegrity:
Kindly ask your mechanical to check the throttle sensor.

I had similar issue with my accord 2005, there was a time it starts, but won't throttle nor accelerate, when u change gear nothing works.

It won't go front neither would it move back.

In addition I could feel the engine sounds like it has lost some power, so took it a mech which he later discovered that the throttle sensor plug is broken

He simply applied gum to make it firm and that was all.
I don't know if yours is same issue but then, There's no crime in checking the sensor

Thanks, would check it out in the morning and give a feedback
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
mcPhuture:

It's not on. Made sure of that... Just confused here men
Where do you stay?
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by hentech911: 7:44am On Oct 28, 2019
Leaks In Vacuum Hoses can also cause this kind of problem.
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by hentech911: 7:59am On Oct 28, 2019
1. try to accelerate the engine from the hood.
2. Check the timing belt if it has worn out, ur mech should also check the timing
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 10:23am On Oct 28, 2019
tensazangetsu20:

Where do you stay?

Benin city
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 10:24am On Oct 28, 2019
hentech911:
1. try to accelerate the engine from the hood.
2. Check the timing belt if it has worn out, ur mech should also check the timing

It uses chain and that entire compartment has been changed as explained above
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by samintegrity(m): 12:32pm On Oct 28, 2019
mcPhuture:

Thanks, would check it out in the morning and give a feedback

Ok bro
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by unwired4g: 1:12pm On Oct 28, 2019
I had a similar issue with my my Honda Accord 09. I scanned the car and it showed cylinder1 misfire. My mechanic advised that we change all the plugs to new one, and the issue was resolved.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by luvinhubby(m): 2:23pm On Oct 28, 2019
Brain box
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by jgbemson1: 8:14am On Oct 29, 2019
Where can someone scan a Honda accord car in surulere or yaba
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by istephen(m): 4:01am On Oct 30, 2019
If the throttle is sticking, you need to replace the throttle body.
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by Besto(m): 8:16pm On Nov 17, 2019
mcPhuture:
I have a Honda civic 2008 model, about 1month ago I was coming from Church and the car started slowing down and wasn't moving past between 10-17 km/h, called up my mechanic and he said it was fuel filter. Had that changed still no pressure and was told to change the entire fuel pump. Pressure started well but car started with a cranking sound when starting up the engine and still won't start anymore. Was told to get a new gasket, engine top, timing chain, and adjuster then grind the valves. Now with all that done, the car starts but now no pressure again and so the engine dies off.

Any ideas what might be the problem and possible solution? I have had over 3 mechanics on it but still no ideas.

Need help, I need it for Taxify duties which I was doing before the problem started.

God bless.

Brain box, this car can be so problematic.

1 Like

Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 17, 2019
Wish you were in Lagos, would habe checke+ it up for you.....
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by moneymaker24(m): 1:59am On Nov 18, 2019
mcPhuture:

God bless.

Please, have you been able to resolve this? If yes, please share what fixed it. Thank you.
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by tojahh(m): 12:27am On Nov 21, 2019
SAVEDBABA:
Wish you were in Lagos, would habe checke+ it up for you.....

SavedBaba I was following your thread bro. Yes please I'm in Lagos and I have almost similar problem.

Honda Civic 2003. The car doesn't move fast and the gear doesn't change apart from 1-2. When you engage reverse, you need to revv it up before it will even move back

Please somebody help.
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by Nobody: 2:02am On Nov 21, 2019
tojahh:

SavedBaba I was following your thread bro. Yes please I'm in Lagos and I have almost similar problem.

Honda Civic 2003. The car doesn't move fast and the gear doesn't change apart from 1-2. When you engage reverse, you need to revv it up before it will even move back

Please somebody help.
if you can bring it to our workshop soon, we can check it up for you.
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by tojahh(m): 2:09am On Nov 21, 2019
SAVEDBABA:
if you can bring it to our workshop soon, we can check it up for you.

Will Friday/Saturday be great?
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 21, 2019
tojahh:

yes.....friday or Saturday.This is my number 080927257438, please call me when you are coming.
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 22, 2019
tojahh:

can you message me on whatsapp...lets chat.
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 12:37pm On Mar 03, 2020
moneymaker24:

Please, have you been able to resolve this? If yes, please share what fixed it. Thank you.

Not yet ooo, but the conclusion I got on it is it isn't mechanical. Something electrical (expired car wiring) but I'm not interested in putting money on it again so it's up for sale.

Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 12:41pm On Mar 03, 2020
mcPhuture:

God bless.

Its up for sale. Only needs rewiring and a new brain box. Still clean and running a new engine. No problems mechanically. Interested buyers should contact me abeg. 09057716108. Car is in Benin.

Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by mcPhuture(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Where do you stay?

Benin-City
Re: Honda Civic 2008 Not Accelerating by Praxtech: 11:41am On May 01, 2020
mcPhuture:

Its up for sale. Only needs rewiring and a new brain box. Still clean and running a new engine. No problems mechanically. Interested buyers should contact me abeg. 09057716108. Car is in Benin.
Sad end for the civic. And some will be criticising Merc.

(1) (Reply)

1999 Toyota Camry Engine / My Honda City 2007 Problem / Coolant Reservoir Overflows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.