Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? (890 Views)

N150Mn Ransom For Siasia's Mother: Govt Abandons Siasia To His Fate / NFF To Dump Keshi For Siasia. / Nigerians For Siasia Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by SkillJed(m): 10:27pm On Nov 11, 2010
what a pertinent question for the hour! i wrote a report in october 2009 after the super eagles under coach shuaibu amodu just qualified for the world cup. unfortunately i couldn't really publish it for the whole of nigerian public to see. but some local publications in calabar where i reside published some excerpts of it. most people taught i was nuts to say shuaibu amodu should be allowed to take the super eagles to both the nations and world cups in 2010. this was over a year ago now. unfortunately too, it didn't occur to me to publish and discuss the contents of the report on nairaland then (i.e. in 2009), it would have been a most interesting discussion. in retrospect, i think we all see now that it was wrong to have sacked amodu. for one reason, march 2010 was too late a time to have sacked him. though of course, amodu aided his being sacked because the way he executed the nations cup was a big shame. i won't lie, even myself who had openly showed and lavished my confidence in him was grossly disappointed, it was a big shame! but it was still wrong to have sacked him.

now to siasia. we have now hired another indigenous coach, what is ahead for him too? below are excerpts from my october 2009 report on shauibu amodu's super eagles. let's learn some lessons that will make siasia's eagles better and more successful:

Can Shuaibu Amodu Really Succeed With The Super Eagles?
The above question is the pertinent and urgent and important question on the lip of every Nigerian football fan today, nay every fan of the Super Eagles who lately have been termed Super Chickens. Here I’m going to answer that question as objective as possible without any kind of bias or sentiment. And I do really wish that this article could be taken ‘on record’ because I’ll refer to it sometime again in July/August 2010 when the mundial must have come and gone. I don’t I don’t share the opinion of the majority who talk about the Super Eagles and its coach. In fact I don’t share the opinion of most of the sport writers, commentators and analysts of this country, and I know some of them will read this article, that is why I want every reader to take the contents of this article ‘on record’.

First of all, I congratulate every Nigerian on the successful (miraculous) qualification of the Super Eagle for the world Cup 2010 in South Africa. I must confess that though I have lots of respect for the team and the coach, I almost lost hope too (but I didn’t totally give up), I just managed to hold on to see what happened in the last match. And of course I watched it with a positive attitude, I wasn’t among those who didn’t care to watch because they felt the team and its coach where already done for. Truly in football (and in life), it is not yet over until it is over, anything can happen. That match taught a life lesson that one must never lose hope on his goal, vision or potentials, you must try and keep trying, never give up, till the very end! Once again congrats to all Nigerians!

I know this may surprise (and even upset) some people, you see, I have lots of respect for Shuaibu Amodu, the first I knew and read of Amodu was in 1989, that is a whopping 20 years ago. That year Shuaibu amodu won the Challenge Cup (otherwise known as the F.A. Cup) with the BCC Lions of Gboko. They further went on to win the Mandela Cup (then African Cup Winners Cup) the following year in 1990 beating top favourites Esperance of Tunisia who were then a big power house in African club football. BCC Lions (under Shuaibu Amodu) against the odds beat them 4:1 on aggregate. That was the time I started taking interest in this man called Shuaibu Amodu.

In 1991, they went through again all to the final, but narrowly lost the cup in the final of same competition to Power Dynamos of Zimbabwe. I remember the BCC Lions in those days had choice players like Moses Kpakor, Amir Angwe (of blessed memory), Patrick Mancha, etc. After that Amodu has made more successes both locally and outside, some of which we’ll talk about in this article.

Amodu’s Stints With The Super Eagles
It is a pity that Nigerians usually underrate their own, and even pull them down. Amodu’s first stint was in 1994 after the exit of Clemens Westerhof, Shuaibu Amodu briefly inherited the best Super Eagles’ squad ever. One easily remembered the friendly between the Super Eagles and England’s Tree Lions at the old Wembley Stadium (when it still had the twin towers), the match that saw JayJay dazzling the English with his ball skills and talent, he almost became the only African to score in the old Wembley (no African ever did!) when his grounder shot narrowly missed target with the English keeper flatly beaten. Not too long Amodu lost the job when Abacha took us out of the Nations Cup for his own political (personal) reasons. That was Amodu’s first coming.

The second coming was in 96/97, he started the world cup qualifiers for 1998 World Cup with the Super Eagles (I remember his taking the Super Eagles to the match in Nairobi, Kenya that ended 1:1 with the Harambee Stars), but without losing or failing he was sacked by Jim Nwobodo, the then Sports Minister in 1997. Purely, it was for personal reasons, he fell out of favour with the then Sports Minister in the build-up to the match, and the whole issue reached its climax after the match. In short, Amodu’s second coming was terminated by Jim Nwobodo in 1997.

Amodu came back (the third time) in 2000 after Jo Bonfrere fell out of favour with the F.A. after some run of poor results. Amodu took over from him, assisted by Coaches Joe Erico and Steve Keshi. It seemed like Amodu always comes for the World Cup. He took over the team after some poor run of form under Bonfrere, re-galvanized the team, and ended up qualifying the team for the World Cup. He remains the only indigenous coach till date to have done such a feat. Unfortunately he was sacked in 2002 after the Nations Cup for team indiscipline (as said by the F.A.) and the team disbanded. He ended up deprived of leading the team he qualified for the World Cup. Onigbinde jumped into the position, taking what he didn’t work for, reaping where he had not sown, of course he achieved nothing!

Amodu’s fourth (and latest) coming so far was in 2008, to qualify the Super Eagles for the Nations and World Cups. And once again as he did in 2002, he has made it, but will Nigeria and Nigerians allow and help this man to succeed this time? This is the very important question!
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 12:42am On Nov 12, 2010
Siasia! Siasia!! Siasia!!! How many times i call u? Never trust any Nigerian fan, never! A word is enough,
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by semid4lyfe(m): 5:57am On Nov 12, 2010
honeric01:

Siasia! Siasia!! Siasia!!! How many times i call u? Never trust any Nigerian fan, never! A word is enough,
Hehehe. . .the fans got him the job and the fans can remove him also grin
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 7:15am On Nov 12, 2010
^^^^^^

That's why it's dangerous, these people are ready to bite off his tongue once he starts screwing up, do you know that he lost alot of followers after Egypt 2010?
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by 1025: 8:01am On Nov 17, 2010
@poster,
my little knowledge of football tells me that sacking of a coach has never been a bad omen to the coach especially if the coach is a good caoch.
let me break it down for you. mourinho was sacked by chelsea and he was paid off and what this means is, if mourinho still had 3 years remaining on his contract, he will be paid completely and then, he will still have chance of signing another contract with another club and that was exactly what happened when he signed a better contract with inter milian. rafa benitez was sacked by liverpool so he was paid off by liverpool and he still signed an improved contract with inter milian. scolari was sacked by chelsea and after his pay off, he became the highest paid coach in the world when he later signed up with an uzbekistan side. pillegrin the former madrid coach was sacked and paid off and he is on the verge of signing another contract with a spainish side.
when u are good as a coach, been sacked can never be the end of ur carrier. all these cries over spilled milk is just because most of these coaches do not sign real contracts and they are not good enough to be coaches otherwise why will a coach be crying because one team sack him when million of clubs are looking for coaches.
tell ur amodu to dust his cv and go out there and search for work with clubs and countries looking for coaches.
with all u tell us here abt amodu, i don't see why he shld seat back and be seeking our sympathies. he can go and apply for liverpool job or the of west ham unless u are telling us that amodu is just trained to coach the super eagles.
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 2:06pm On Nov 17, 2010
1025:

tell your amodu to dust his cv and go out there and search for work with clubs and countries looking for coaches.
with all u tell us here abt amodu, i don't see why he shld seat back and be seeking our sympathies. he can go and apply for liverpool job or the of west ham unless u are telling us that amodu is just trained to coach the super eagles.

And who told you he's jobless? undecided
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by Olaolufred(m): 2:56pm On Nov 17, 2010
honeric01:

And who told you he's jobless? undecided

I think he is only saying that his Technical ability as described skillJed is under-exploited if he sits managing local teams.

He sure good enough to take better Jobs and Money.

Liverpool, west ham, it is not bad for him to showcase himself now.
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 4:59pm On Nov 17, 2010
Olaolufred:

I think he is only saying that his Technical ability as described skillJed is under-exploited if he sits managing local teams.

He sure good enough to take better Jobs and Money.

Liverpool, west ham, it is not bad for him to showcase himself now.

Just like Siasia, Onigbinde and co did? i bet they also got a job at liverpool or west ham? anyways the man is surely working now and no one's feeding him, he did his best for this country and didn't fail to deliver, if you guys won't appreciate him for at least delivering what was required of him, then you guys should also let him be, if he's not that relevant in our football history, why then are you guys still talking about him even after leaving the job for 6-8 months now?
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 17, 2010
at b1st it was amodu vs any foreign coach and i understood where all these amodu lovers were coming from now its against sia sia,come

how much amodu give una?
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 9:39am On Nov 18, 2010
^^^
Its not bout how much he gave us, its bout how he has served his fatherland, so now to you, how have you served your fatherland?
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by 1025: 10:03am On Nov 18, 2010
Just like Siasia, Onigbinde and co did? i bet they also got a job at liverpool or west ham? anyways the man is surely working now and no one's feeding him, he did his best for this country and didn't fail to deliver, if you guys won't appreciate him for at least delivering what was required of him, then you guys should also let him be, if he's not that relevant in our football history, why then are you guys still talking about him even after leaving the job for 6-8 months now?

everything abt nigeria is trying his best.
ibb tried his best for nigeria so also did abacha, shagari, obasanjo, yar adua but whenever ur best is not good enough, what do u do? we had a super eagle that was talk of the world and we had a super eagles that struggles to win kenya, mozambeque and niger. if fifa ranking is always seeing us go down by the day and somebody somewhere keeps praising amodu then yaba mental rehab is a place to visit.
how long are we going to settle for third place position when it comes to african cup of nations? how long are we going to depend on other countries' results for our qualifications?
apart from politics, i will tell u that amodu is jobless. he is employed or compensated by his state and that is it. as big as you guys are claiming of him, is he going back or front?
the worst eagles that i have seen in my whole life was that under amodu. coaches are supposed to be under preasure while the game lasts and it is one of their responsibilities to charge the players because he is watching from the stand, he sees with ease where the team has problems.
amodu never made use of the touch line like other coaches. amodu never do anything fantastic while his team plays and u want to tell me that such a man will get a real contract outside the political jungle called nigeria.
look at keshi for instance, he cld apply outside this country and get a job with one of two other countries and that is what a coach shld be not a man restricted with the bothers of this useless country.
be reminded that even as amodu is working, he is marking time and praying for the downfall of siasia so that he will come back.
as long as great coaches like equavon and amodu keep on coming back to the national team, they have nothing to offer the world of football coaching wise.
let these guys make a move. let them prove us wrong. let them get contracts else where and show what they are made up of not waiting for the vacancy they always pray for at the glass house.
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 10:36am On Nov 18, 2010
^^^
I cant waste my time with someone who calls his country useless yet lives inside the same country.

Someone who does not no how to research before saying things, go and check where we were on the fifa ranking b4 Amodu took charge and where we were when he was relieved of his job.
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by Rasulullah: 1:57pm On Nov 18, 2010
Leave sia sia alone! Who gave amodu d players to use?, how many times hav u seen amodu on d touch line? B4 u talk amodu, do u know dat during his tym, 70% of instructions are not given by amodu, it was by his assistants. Therefore nff was right. D main Difference btw amodu n lagerback is dat amodu knows squad but not formation, while lagerback knows d formation but he does not know d squad. SIA SIA SIA SIA SIA SIA SIA
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 2:13pm On Nov 18, 2010
Rasulullah:

Leave sia sia alone! Who gave amodu d players to use?, how many times hav u seen amodu on d touch line? B4 u talk amodu, do u know dat during his tym, 70% of  instructions are not given by amodu, it was by his assistants. Therefore nff was right. D main Difference btw amodu n lagerback is dat amodu knows squad but not formation, while lagerback knows d formation but he does not know d squad.  SIA SIA SIA SIA SIA SIA SIA

I never knew you were the one that was the assistant that was giving Amodu the instructions, yeye people, no one's holding Siasia from performing, you guys should let AMODU be, can't you guys just let him be? is he that important in your lives that you people can't stay without mentioning his name? grin grin grin grin

Amodu was employed by the NFA 3 times with 3 different assistants on these occasions, are you trying to say it was his assistants that were calling the shots during these 3 stints with the SE? he never failed to deliver his TARGET.

Leave the man alone, he has SERVED his fatherland to the fullest, now WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR YOUR FATHERLAND undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by montelik(m): 8:00am On Oct 14, 2011
honeric01:

How true. grin grin
Re: Was It Right To Have Sacked Amodu? Any Lessons For Siasia? by honeric01(m): 4:45am On Oct 15, 2011
honeric01:

honeric01:

I never knew you were the one that was the assistant that was giving Amodu the instructions, yeye people, no one's holding Siasia from performing, you guys should let AMODU be, can't you guys just let him be? is he that important in your lives that you people can't stay without mentioning his name? grin grin grin grin

Amodu was employed by the NFA 3 times with 3 different assistants on these occasions, are you trying to say it was his assistants that were calling the shots during these 3 stints with the SE? he never failed to deliver his TARGET.

Leave the man alone, he has SERVED his fatherland to the fullest, now WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR YOUR FATHERLAND undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

WWE Wrestlemania 28 Result / 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 / Nigeria Drops Martins, Odemwingie From Afcon List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.