Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... (511 Views)

Kanu Drags Nigeria & Kenya To African Commission On Human And Peoples Rights / Gagdi: Pantami's Pro-Al-Qaeda Views Have Consequence On Perception Of Nigeria / 2019: Ugwuanyi’s Ascendency And Peoples’ Verdict (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... by Carbuyer83: 9:51am On Oct 28, 2019
Before you judge people, before you rage your anger on them, take a little time to view their angle or perspective, and, if you still cannot see a reasonable reason, then you may act REASONABLY.

A lot of people express ignorance on ASUU's argument on IPPIS possibly because of their hatred for the Academic staff union. You can decide to hate ASUU, for all the strikes, but the truth still remain that the little improvement we've got in infrastructure in our universities over the last 10 years would not have been possible without ASUU's use of strike to force FG do the needful.

On IPPIS for university staff, ASUU didn't reject IPPIS but request FG to modify the package to capture things that are peculiar to the University and they will accept it. IPPIS is just a software package. The question should be why is FG not willing to modify the software?

Universities are established on an act with their peculiarities. For example, Consultants who are university staff and work at the Teaching Hospitals get paid by the University and the hospitals. But on IPPIS package, you can't receive 2 separate payment from FG. So how will the Doctors get their university salary and the component from the hospital? Promotion of Readers and Professors takes months due to external assessment. No provision in IPPIS for promotion arrears. So who will pay the arrears of the work they have done? Sabbatical is a worldwide practice in universities. No provision in IPPIS for staff on sabbatical. A university can request for a visiting lecturer from another university for his expertise and get paid. No provision for that on IPPIS. Meanwhile, these things are captured in the act establishing the university. When you go to conduct external examination in another university, no provision to get paid in IPPIS, etc. We are aware that activities such as visiting is misused. But capturing these peculiarities in IPPIS and limiting the number of universities you can visit to one or two will control visiting activities.

To treat university workers as any other civil servant, you have to approach NASS and request for a review of the university act to remove those peculiarities like call duty, sabbatical, visiting, external examination, etc from their activities. It a constitutional matter and can't be done just by executive order or blackmail.

What is wrong for ASUU to demand that the supposed central salary payment system should capture what the law established and why is the government not willing to do that? Are no more working with our constitution?

If as an onlooker you detest ASUU, sponsor a bill to NASS to remove the peculiarities rather than displaying ignorance on blogosphere. We are educated, so let's argue like sound minds.
Re: IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... by netpro(m): 9:53am On Oct 28, 2019
ASUU must join the IPPIS.

They have formulated many allowances that can't fit in anywhere. Also IPPIS will rid ASUU of 1000s of ghost workers.
Re: IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... by davuvid(m): 10:27am On Oct 28, 2019
If as an employer of labour, you want the best for your establishment, you can't leave out staff welfare. When members of staff are well paid and in due time as well, morale is very high and thus, effectiveness follows.

Sometimes, I wonder what the priorities of the FG are, is it just to cut cost or just to frustrate the efforts of hardworking Nigerians?

None of the aforementioned points is good enough if we want to really see and make progress in our nation.

In other news, I've still got some lovely mini educational tabs for kids. See siggy for contact
Re: IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 28, 2019
These are valid points and I think the ASUU has the right to pursue these remunerations to a logical end but never at the detriment of students. We know what will happen if the FG footdrag in accedding to these demands. Strike as usual.

I employ ASUU to diplomatically table their greviances and concerns to the appropriate committee and argue these out. People don't just hate ASUU without reasons. We hardly hear of NAAT, NASU, SSANU and other bodies going on incessant strike actions without a solid reason. That is not the case with Almighty ASUU. Implemention of minimum wage went without resorting to strike, so also ASUU should follow the right path of dialogue in driving out their concerns.

As far as ordinary Nigerians are concerned, ASUU is against IPPIS and might resort to using strike actions to block it's implementation because FG is trying to block corruption and loopholes within the tertiary education system via collection of multiple salaries, which is not entirely true.
Re: IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... by olaNL: 11:55am On Oct 28, 2019
I agree with you that university staff should be paid for the extra work they do which is peculiar to the universities. But what i understand from the federal government point of view is that they cannot pay workers multiple salaries and those extra duties can be captured with allowances that should be paid by the institution you are providing the service to. To me, this seems logical.
Re: IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... by nauto5: 4:42pm On Oct 29, 2019
I will come back to comment

But Assu is not smilling
Re: IPPIS: FG, ASUU And Peoples' Perception... by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
I
maryjames9:
These are valid points and I think the ASUU has the right to pursue these remunerations to a logical end but never at the detriment of students. We know what will happen if the FG footdrag in accedding to these demands. Strike as usual.

I employ ASUU to diplomatically table their greviances and concerns to the appropriate committee and argue these out. People don't just hate ASUU without reasons. We hardly hear of NAAT, NASU, SSANU and other bodies going on incessant strike actions without a solid reason. That is not the case with Almighty ASUU. Implemention of minimum wage went without resorting to strike, so also ASUU should follow the right path of dialogue in driving out their concerns.

As far as ordinary Nigerians are concerned, ASUU is against IPPIS and might resort to using strike actions to block it's implementation because FG is trying to block corruption and loopholes within the tertiary education system via collection of multiple salaries, which is not entirely true.

SSANU, NASU, NAAT don't seem to go on strike much cos ASUU demands usually take care of their needs as well.

Did I hear you say minimum wage was acheived without strike? Then you have forgotten so soon. Even at that, imagine it took about 3 years to negotiate. That in itself is stupiiid

(1) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: Documents Show Ex-gov. Amosun Illegally Imported Arms, Ammunition / Jubilation As Benjamin Kalu Holds Town Hall Meeting, Empowers Constituents(pics) / Yoruba: Tell It To The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.