Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode (11014 Views)

Dele Momodu Reacts As Governor Ambode Concedes Defeat / Photos Of Governor Ambode And Theresa May In Lagos / Governor Ambode Arrives Russia, Pledges To Send Stranded Nigerians Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by festacman(m): 9:11am On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Well, rewind back to my post where I already said Lagos is dealing with far more population density and pressure than its facilities are designed to tolerate. So in the end infrastructures and amenities collapse under the burden of excessive usage.

We cannot blame a Governor for half of these issues.

Can we blame a Governor for allowing population to surge uncontrollably into Lagos? They stopped a truck with migrants and motorbikes the other day. In the end thy had to release them.

Can we blame a Governor for blocked drainage filled with empty beer cans and gala wraps and nylon shopping bags?

The state had environmental sanitation days. A resident sued and got court ruling to stop it. Citizens cheered the ruling. Whats a governor to do?

Very few people understand how government currently work....how government is supposed to work....and how to close tha gap so government is working as very close as possible to a set of benchmarks. This is the ideal of BEST PRACTICE.

I count myself in that very few.

Citizens must not submit all their to-do list to government. If we do, the drive to rise "responsibly" against government becomes an expensive item and we will not be able to find it on the to-do list when we need it.

This is exactly the situation in Lagos now.

The spirit to oppose the excesses of Tinubu is there but the drive is not....because we already surrendered the governance of our own communities to the State, and when we did our drive for self-preservation went with it.

I blame the governor(s) for not planning futuristically about infrastructure needs of Lagos State because right from independence and long before the creation of Abuja, Lagos has always been a destination of choice for every young Nigerian trying to chase his or her dreams. I won't blame the governors, though, for residents' apathy or evasiveness to paying tax to help fund infrastructural development and maintenance.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by MetaPhysical: 9:46am On Oct 29, 2019
festacman:

I blame the governor(s) for not planning futuristically about infrastructure needs of Lagos State because right from independence and long before the creation of Abuja, Lagos has always been a destination of choice for every young Nigerian trying to chase his or her dreams. I won't blame the governors, though, for residents' apathy or evasiveness to paying tax to help fund infrastructural development and maintenance.

Is there another state with a better plan than Lagos? None! If there was poeople would stay back home instead of trooping out.

Why are Governors in other states not making efforts to keep their people from leaving? This should be the question to ask....
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by festacman(m): 10:02am On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Is there another state with a better plan than Lagos? None! If there was poeople would stay back home instead of trooping out.

Why are Governors in other states not making efforts to keep their people from leaving? This should be the question to ask....

The truth is that intranational and international migrations are part of economic dynamics of human society.

The people people coming into Lagos swells its population and its economy. From Alaba, Ladipo to Aspamda the traders have made money and developed Ojo area of Lagos. The numerous companies owned by people from other states boost Lagos state economy. Innoson was along Oshodi Expressway briefly before relocating to Nnewi.

You see, Lagos has seaport, international airport and federal capital territory status long before Abuja. Unfortunately, military governments and lately past democratically elected governments did little in developing many other cities across Nigeria or linking them through railways.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by Stillthebest: 10:09am On Oct 29, 2019
Demzlent:
Why I was removed as Governor*

1) I constructed 22 roads in Alimosho and refused to award any of the contracts to Aregbesola and co.

2) I insisted that contracts that had been awarded to party leaders under Fashola must be executed before they can be awarded new contracts under my regime.

3) I wanted to phase out Danfos and Area boys from the streets of Lagos and introduce smarter means of transportation without Area boys and Agberos.

4) I refused to pad the budget with 10% for house of assembly members led by Bayo Osinowo and Mudashir Obasa.

5) I refused to grant the concession of 4th mainland bridge to Tinubu’s Hitech

6) I refused to increase the amount of money being paid from the state revenue to Tinubu through Alpha Beta from 10% to 20%

7) I developed Epe. Epe was never in their master plan.

� I refused to support Aregbesola and Bayo Osinowo’s saw ambitions because they are not Lagosians.

9) I refused to use Lagos state funds to finance osun elections.

10) I opposed Tinubu’s succession plan, which will see his son Seyi Tinubu becoming the next Governor of Lagos state after me.

SPONSORED BY
AMBODE SUPPORT GROUP

Other reasons are as destroying as a bad mouth odour. Lagos has always been around Tinubu and always for him. Sanwo Olu will still have issues with him.

But Ambode shouldn't have played Smart by not allowing Aregbesola to contest for the senate. He himself isnt an indigent of Lagos but benefitted immensely from the Tinubus political magnanimity and blocs that saw him to the highest office in Lagos.

Where was Ambode when Aregbesola has been part of developmental projects of Lagos?

And for a man to want to flex muscle with the power that be, such a man is supposed to have garnered enough human resources and financial muscles to knuckle his fight. But Ambode was busy defending his wife in a cause that enmeshed him in the fight of his wife against their chapel pastor.

No one fights the type of fight he started alone. Not even with the high power of Tinubu.

Tinubu is a largesse in the inner and and outer politics of Lagos n Nigeria at large.

Ambode went too far by tagging Sanwo Olu as a psyche patient. It is too far for a man who belongs in the same party. He doesnt understand politics. And this,im not his God, will cost him what same Costed Femi Pedro and Bucknor.

On a sane mode; Ambode didn't write this. It is either sponsored or self sponsored. Ambode will soon debunk this

3 Likes

Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by gotnel: 11:44am On Oct 29, 2019
There is always a reason for something. There was a reason Ambode was made to become the governor of Lagos state over other several contenders, who are as close to Tinubu as himself.
There are reasons why Ambode decided to run a state on his own by bullshiting the power brokers who painstakingly put him in power while overlooking other interests.
Ambode is a man who got to the top and forget the ladder that he used for the climbing.
There is always an important person's whose role and influence in any community or organisation is always can not just be overlooked.
Ambode kicks himself into political obscurity.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by Blue3k(m): 11:54am On Oct 29, 2019
Lol he was removed because he lost his primary. If the support group did a better job he would have a job.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by MetaPhysical: 1:15pm On Oct 29, 2019
festacman:

The truth is that intranational and international migrations are part of economic dynamics of human society.

The people people coming into Lagos swells its population and its economy. From Alaba, Ladipo to Aspamda the traders have made money and developed Ojo area of Lagos. The numerous companies owned by people from other states boost Lagos state economy. Innoson was along Oshodi Expressway briefly before relocating to Nnewi.

You see, Lagos has seaport, international airport and federal capital territory status long before Abuja. Unfortunately, military governments and lately past democratically elected governments did little in developing many other cities across Nigeria or linking them through railways.

So why single out Lagos in your earlier post? Perharps you should not have expanded the discussion to planning because you will expose inadequacies of other states whose citizens constitute the problem Lagos is battling.

On the issue of capital city. It is an excuse, again to absolve other states of their liabilities in Lagos. New York has never been capital of US. Chicago, Philly, Boston....all these cities draw more attraction and migration than Washington DC.

Rivers has port and rail system. In fact Cross River hosted the first capital of Nigeria and has ports but density and pressure on Calabar City is far less than the pressure on just Broad Street, Lagos alone.....not to mention the whole Lagos City.

Put things into proper perspective and reason them out well before posting, please.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by MetaPhysical: 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2019
gotnel:
There is always a reason for something. There was a reason Ambode was made to become the governor of Lagos state over other several contenders, who are as close to Tinubu as himself.
There are reasons why Ambode decided to run a state on his own by bullshiting the power brokers who painstakingly put him in power while overlooking other interests.
Ambode is a man who got to the top and forget the ladder that he used for the climbing.
There is always an important person's whose role and influence in any community or organisation is always can not just be overlooked.
Ambode kicks himself into political obscurity.

Superb input!
Im Ambode fan...and I cannot fault what you wrote.

Skills and competencies on one side, respect and tradition of office in another, then you bridge the two with politicking sense. There are certain individuals who have become orisa in Lagos....you make them happy and delighted.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by NGpatriot: 1:50pm On Oct 29, 2019
Oshigun:

I'd really like to know this also because he is writing a load of twaddle here while insulting others with name-calling. He normally makes sense and I can only imagine a compromised sense of reasoning on this occasion due to some personal or ideological devotion to Ambode. Simple fact someone of MetaPhysical intelligence should appreciate that no major city of the world, with far smaller population and a more organised people, leaves cleaning of public place to the "community' as he ridiculously claims. Is it London, New York, Paris, Milan, Berlin, Mumbai, Cape Town, Accra, Munich? Which one exactly?

I own a UK property and the local council is responsible for cleaning roads, public space, Parks, rail stations, public toilets et al and taking away my rubbish while I am personally responsible for space around my property i.e driveway and Garden.

The statement below is simply incredible and an indication we stand logic on its head in Nigeria merely because responsible leaders are forced to take unusual measures to combat corruption and lack of funds for what should be government's role and duties. Environmental day, for example, where the public come out to clean in Lagos, is not the norm in the world. It is the exception because the massive population of 20 million in the smallest State in Nigeria, i.e cash-strapped Lagos, has created abnormally huge challenges that requires innovative solutions and approach. For example, there is no regular environmental day in London and never has been for my decades-long association with the City.

No one should make the statement below as if it is a fact when similar is not the case for any major city of the world where people pay their taxes and expect Government effort to match challenges the States/Cities face such as keeping public space clean and pollution-free. When it was adjudged that the air in central London was highly polluted and threatening the health of Londoners, the office of the Mayor introduced the ULEZ charge ( the ultra low emission zone charge) of £12.50 per day for only diesel vehicle that enter the zone in central London. This is a massive disincentive for diesel vehicle to enter the zone and this then helps to keep air pollution down. Government did not put the onus on citizen to suddenly make the problem go away and keep London air cleaner !!!!!

Government of modern cities keep public space clean under normal circumstances not citizens even as citizens can help from adding to the problem by refraining from acts such as littering and public defecation. Unless of course MetaPhysical is talking of the most rural of Villages then I don't see any sense in his statement below let alone be calling others "Pigs" in relation to his factually wrong argument.

He used to make sense, but he's been off the reservation lately with ridiculous and absurd pronouncements, maybe his ID was stolen ot something. He's spewing a load of garbage, juvenile and ignorant nonsense.

Saying no government actions or regulations are needed because people know not to litter is the dumbest rubbish ever. Personal hygiene within your confines is your responsibility, but when it deteriorates and is affecting the general public or causing environmental safety issues, it is the government's job to step in to either fin you, force you to make corrections or put a lean on your house till you make corrections or even send you to jail.

Public spaces are strictly government responsibility, but people don't care even though he's saying people know not to dirty the environment when in fact, people do regardless because they are either dirty, lazy or just don't care, this is why governments have and enforce environmental laws, sanitation laws and littering laws to protect the general public from filth and polluted environment.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by NGpatriot: 2:26pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:
I will say this to all people in Lagos that expect Governor to fix roads. Infrastructures in Lagos is awarded to contractors. It is not Governor that fix your roads, it is contractors that fix your roads. These contractors post their company name and sign on a board when they start work. Take a picture of it. When your road start to go bad these are the people you should responsible. I[b]f they collected 10million for a road but spend 1million and the road does not last, it is not the Governor's responsibility. The contractor is liable. So come online, and instead of bashing Governor, start posting the contractor name and bash them. In fact, ask for contractors that do bad job to be blacklisted from Government contract[/b]. This is how you improve your community and its roads, if you are serious!

This is why they do project inspection when you pay people to do a job, you go there to make sure that they are not only doing the job, but also doing the job according to the required specification.

It's better to inspect and end up with what you pay for instead of sitting in your airconditioned office while the contractor cook up a lemon for you. Responsible and credible leader are proactive, they don't sit around and wait for problems to arise before running after culprits, blacklisting, trashing the contractor and needless headache when in fact you don't have what you pay for, you are still going to take corrective and disciplinary actions, but the citizens are still stuck with bad roads, you still have to rearward the contract and start all over again.

Is it not prudent to just leave your air-conditioned office to do even monthly inspection to save yourself the immense disruptions, money and headache? Your mentality is pennywise pound foolish.

Btw, when projects turn sour, it means they did not vet the contractor, they did not do due diligence by appraising the contractor like experience, and previous jobs, it is actually the government's responsibility because they hired the contractor based on vetting and other contract award criteria. It is not the public's job to hold contractors liable, they don't do contract, they don't know what was required or the specifications and stipulations, it is the government's responsibility, only the government is empowered to do that and if they have to sue the contractor, it is the job of the state's legal department aka attorney general, not the general public.

Your argument is rooted in your own crude and unrealistic realities and I'm very glad that you are not in charge of any city or municipal government.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by NGpatriot: 2:37pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

In those places you mentioned, people do not throw thrash all over.

And why? You think it's because they are so nice, clean and thoughtful? No, it's because of government actions, it's because they have government laws and municipal edicts to punish them for littering and dirty the environment, it's because they know the consequences like even ending up in jail.

I gave you an example before, in Texas, the fine for littering or dirtying the environment is $500-2,800. That's government coercion and stick to make sure you don't dirty the environment. That's government action, nit people's action.

We are not talking about waste....we are talking about FILTH! The two are not the same

It's the same thing.

https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › filth
Definition of filth. 1 : foul or putrid matter especially loathsome dirt or refuse.

Refuse or garbage is filth.

Govt is responsible for removing waste, people are responsible for cleaning their filth. Please rewind and follow the thread. The point made was on filth, not waste.

Garbage is filth and filth is garbage. The government is responsible for removing garbage and filth, but it's based on the residents paying garbage collectors to remove waste from their immediate domain, but the general environment like roads, parks, and other public spaces, the government is responsible for that.

Ladipo market situation was the classic example of needed government actions, a situation where hazardous materials and petroleum pollutants were disposed indiscriminately everywhere, pollutants that sips into the ground to contaminate not only the environment but also the underground water table water that you drink from via boreholes..

The government issued so many directives that the market people ignored so do you actually think the right thing to do was for the general public and the government to keep looking the other way while hoping and praying that the polluters in the market will naturally alter their behavior even though the market is under the state's regulatory jurisdiction?

The community in that area with boreholes were drinking engine oil and other pollutants and they've been for decades.

It is really absurd that we are even having this argument.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by NigeriaIsDoomed: 2:48pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Well, don't we already call Buhari a dictator? It's because of his high-handedness. People do not want to be bothered to demonstrate a disciplined lifestyle outwardly. When govt enforces discipline then people react by crying foul. Buhari does not know how to govern, he knows how to rule. He is lucky and smart, he sorrounded himself with people who are veterans and smarties of governance....they prop him up.

For political expediency, Governors and LG Chairmen do not rule with high-handedness, typically they run a middle course and when they feel their pressure is producing an unfavourable public outcry they lean back and relax. They want to be popular so when they meet the people again in future for support they will not be abandoned for opponent. Governance is tough.

Particularly in Lagos, it is not just the Governor that looses if his policy pushes the people away....the party also looses. Hence, the party rules Lagos and they put a proxy in Governor seat to execute their policies as a priority....but they also recognize the need of the individual to be a leader in his own right, so they accomodate the Governors plans for growth. In the end, a harmony between the two interests is what moves Lagos forward.

In the case of Ambode, the party recognized and acknowledged his competency as a Governor and a well rounded performer. He was implementing policies out of order. For instance, the Epe development was not due for implementation but he did it. He was not listening to them. They even admitted that their Governor was not reachable, he does not respond to them. This is reason for replacing him. When you vote Governor the party name and symbol is on ballot, not name of the candidate. They wanted him out long ago but could not get him out, they did not have the power to do so. They waited for primary to defeat him, the party owns the primary and the election. They do not deny his abilities and capabilities, they just do not want a Governor that would go against the establishment. APC in Lagos is an establishment, it is different than APC in other states. APC in Lagos is fully enmeshed in Govt bureaucracy. PDP will find it difficult to Govern Lagos even if they won the race for Governor. Let me put it this way...Lagos State Secretariat in Alausa is APC Secretariat, period!
Well articulated bro.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by festacman(m): 2:52pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

So why single out Lagos in your earlier post? Perharps you should not have expanded the discussion to planning because you will expose inadequacies of other states whose citizens constitute the problem Lagos is battling.

On the issue of capital city. It is an excuse, again to absolve other states of their liabilities in Lagos. New York has never been capital of US. Chicago, Philly, Boston....all these cities draw more attraction and migration than Washington DC.

Rivers has port and rail system. In fact Cross River hosted the first capital of Nigeria and has ports but density and pressure on Calabar City is far less than the pressure on just Broad Street, Lagos alone.....not to mention the whole Lagos City.

Put things into proper perspective and reason them out well before posting, please.

Lagos State gained infrastructuraly from its former status as FCT during the oil boom. No doubt. No state would receive that quantum of FG infrastructural attention with many industries as Lagos did and not attract people from across Nigeria. Unfortunately, many of those industries are now based in Ogin state with about 80% of its workforce still residing in Lagos.

By the way, Lagos State is not the only State that host people from other states but our discussion focused on why increase in population put pressure on Lagos State infrastructure. The fact is that with proper projection, planning, and good maintenance culture, which Nigerians engage minimally in, Lagos would be fine with current population and even accommodate more.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by MetaPhysical: 3:05pm On Oct 29, 2019
NGpatriot:

He used to make sense, but he's been off the reservation lately with ridiculous and absurd pronouncements, maybe his ID was stolen ot something. He's spewing a load of garbage, juvenile and ignorant nonsense.

Saying no government actions or regulations are needed because people know not to litter is the dumbest rubbish ever. Personal hygiene within your confines is your responsibility, but when it deteriorates and is affecting the general public or causing environmental safety issues, it is the government's job to step in to either fin you, force you to make corrections or put a lean on your house till you make corrections or even send you to jail.

Public spaces are strictly government responsibility, but people don't care even though he's saying people know not to dirty the environment when in fact, people do regardless because they are either dirty, lazy or just don't care, this is why governments have and enforce environmental laws, sanitation laws and littering laws to protect the general public from filth and polluted environment.

Oga, i said this already. grin
I kept repeating to people to read my previous posts so the whole point can become clear.

I did say in an earlier post that Govt can do that but they will not. The reason they wont is because those affected will cry out and accuse governor of inhuman treatment. Other citizens will bandwagon and join in in. No one would stand reasonably in defense of government.

If govt steps out to do sanitation exercise, using the same template it used in the 50s and 60s....many buildings and shops in Lagos will be condemned.

Look, Fashola was to ban okada. The outcry caused him to back off. That was just okada. Imagine when govt put stickers in mold infested houses and shops and ask occupants to vacate.

People like you will come out and talk negative of govt....instead of standing up for it. grin

Please rewind back to all my posts on this thread and build a profile for my position before you write any more replies. Get clarity of my position sir.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by NGpatriot: 4:01pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

I did say in an earlier post that Govt can do that but they will not. .

I honestly think you are either confused or you just love to hear yourself talk and ramble meaningless jargon that you yourself cannot keep up with.

Here, you said you agreed that the government should intervene, but they don't

MetaPhysical:

A governor or commissioner or LG chairman should never be chasing after people to clean their own sorrounding.

Here you said they should never intervene.

MetaPhysical:

You have the liberty to misunderstand the role of an Executive Governor because you lack understanding in the root of the issue or how and why our Governors became project managers....like Fashola for instance visiting Ladipo Market to force them to clean the environment they are in and make money in. Very stewpid move on the Governors part. Were there no space in Jails around Lagos?

Even though you reversed by saying they should intervene, but they won't. ...but here, Fashola/The government intervened and according to you, it was a stupid move even though it was a case of shutting the place down if they keep refusing to abide by the state's environmental laws, not sending people to jail.

So, what are you saying? In one breath you're saying they won't and in another breath, you think they are stupid for doing what you just agreed that they should do but won't.

This is again your own crude and absurd opinion that's not rooted in facts or any sane rational.

We have governments and administrators in place for a reason, to regulate our behaviors, to manage our environment, to manage the air we breathe, the road we walk and drive on, the water that we drink and so on, this is what governments do.

You are grossly confused and you speak from both sides of your mouth, you are walking all over your own argument.

Feels like I'm going back and forth with a toddler.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by Peacecore: 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2019
Another edition from Wadata plaza
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by Johnnyessence(m): 5:04pm On Oct 29, 2019
Demzlent:

1) I constructed 22 roads in Alimosho and refused to award any of the contracts to Aregbesola and co.

2) I insisted that contracts that had been awarded to party leaders under Fashola must be executed before they can be awarded new contracts under my regime.

3) I wanted to phase out Danfos and Area boys from the streets of Lagos and introduce smarter means of transportation without Area boys and Agberos.

4) I refused to pad the budget with 10% for house of assembly members led by Bayo Osinowo and Mudashir Obasa.

6) I refused to increase the amount of money being paid from the state revenue to Tinubu through Alpha Beta from 10% to 20%

� I refused to support Aregbesola and Bayo Osinowo’s senatorial ambitions because they are not Lagosians.

10) I opposed Tinubu’s succession plan, which will see his son Seyi Tinubu becoming the next Governor of Lagos state after me.

SPONSORED BY
AMBODE SUPPORT GROUP
nice one from Akinwumi Ambode , I can't wait to see you tomorrow in the state house of assembly to defend yourself against the clueless talks on the buses you bought in your adminstration.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by oursnail(m): 5:23pm On Oct 29, 2019
I know that Mr. Ambode will never and never forget ASIWAJU BOLA TINUIBU. is mr.Ambode forget Bukola Akerele?If Mr.Ambode remember the wise say ''if you can not beat them,join them""His story must be difference now.The ocean is still there.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by basadenet: 4:02pm On Sep 26, 2020
Though he had been removed but remains the best governor of all time, except jakande. He achieved so much in a short time.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by NaijirianKing: 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2020
Interesting.
Re: Why I Was Removed As Governor- Ambode by peteroyeti: 8:34pm On Oct 03, 2020
Demzlent:

� I refused to support Aregbesola and Bayo Osinowo’s senatorial ambitions because they are not Lagosians.

SPONSORED BY
AMBODE SUPPORT GROUP

...why didn't you go to another party then and state all these ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Betta Edu Provides Free Healthcare For Vulnerable Women In Osun (Pictures) / More Buhari’s Ministers To Get Sirika Treatment – Newtelegraphng / Dangote Refinery Set For Production As Crude Supply Hits 6 Million Barrels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.