Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) (24576 Views)

Governor Wike Commissions The 11th Flyover In Rivers State / President Buhari Commissions The New Office Of National Security Adviser. Photos / How Mobolaji Johnson Transformed Marina As Lagos Governor (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Generalwoodz(m): 7:35am On Oct 31, 2019
A
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Crazeworld(m): 7:35am On Oct 31, 2019
miccholo1:
Giveaway time!!!!
Hello guys.. I want you to subscribe to this YouTube channel "miccholo the comedian"...The first 20 persons here to subscribe here will be compensated with 200naira worth of airtime of any network they want...If you can get more than 5 persons to subscribe I have a special reward for you... It's on
Time to earn some airtime
This is my whatsapp number (08079054922) for more info
share the link. The one on your signature is not working
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Pubadmin(m): 7:40am On Oct 31, 2019
Okay now
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 31, 2019
daddytime:
Old soja

This was when Nigeria had a sane military having just come out from the colonialist's cacoon.

Niger been get sense before, but today everything don yamutu.

Sane military? What's the business of the military with governance of a nation?

Nigeria has never had a sane military, even till now.
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by daddytime(m): 7:44am On Oct 31, 2019
FrLukas:

I hear you sir.

Honestly thought Mobolaji Johnson was a Military man.
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Eteka1(m): 7:45am On Oct 31, 2019
Building still looks modern. Those guys really tried back then.
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by wink2015(m): 7:55am On Oct 31, 2019
daddytime:
Old soja

This was when Nigeria had a sane military having just come out from the colonialist's cacoon.

Niger been get sense before, but today everything don yamutu.

Late Brigadier Mobolaji Johnson (rtd ) of Lagos state and Late Brigadier Samuel Ogbemudia ( rtd ) of the then Bendel state really work to develop their state during their time.

But today the military are perpetuating corruption using the boko haram war.

The military and the police are use to rig election.

The military and the police are use to intimidate members of the public all in the name of fighting corruption which they themselves are a big part of the problem.

1 Like

Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 31, 2019
Aboki just full everywhere for the video
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 31, 2019
Every politician from 1960 till date gave failed Nigeria!!!

I won't be hiding this fact
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by 9jaRealist: 8:24am On Oct 31, 2019
naptu2:
It's a quote from a post that I made on November 5th, 2014. Ambode could not have been listed because the 2015 elections had not even been held.

Click on my name in that quote to see the full (much longer) post.

Good post, but abegi Mobolaji Johnson (although an achiever) cannot take credit for Eko Bridge, TMB or the ring roads...
Lagos was then the federal capital, and another great Lagosian Femi Okunnu takes primary credit as Fed Works Commissioner.

>
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by naptu2: 8:27am On Oct 31, 2019
9jaRealist:

Good post, but abegi Mobolaji Johnson (although an achiever) cannot take credit for Eko Bridge, TMB or the ring roads...
Lagos was then the federal capital, and another great Lagosian Femi Okunnu takes primary credit as Fed Works Commissioner.

>

It was a joint project. I've often written about Alhaji Femi Okunnu's role in the project, but he was not a governor of Lagos, so I couldn't have written about him in that post.

By the way, did you read Brigadier Johnson's interview on the first page (about how the idea of the Ring Road was concieved)?
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by 9jaRealist: 8:28am On Oct 31, 2019
FrLukas:

Well, tells you how much of a sad commentary on Nigeria that most of the things that work today in this country was from the military rule... embarassed
>
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by naptu2: 8:29am On Oct 31, 2019
9jaRealist:

>

What were the projects you planned to execute during your tenure but for reasons of time and financial constraints, you could not?

I wasn’t happy with the transportation system in Lagos, and I particularly felt bad about the waterways that we could not fully exploit. I sent a delegation abroad to look for flat bottom boats that could take passengers across the waterways. I wasn’t happy with the transportation system and would have loved to see a better system in place. One of the ideas I had was to construct the 3rd Mainland Bridge. Don’t forget, the 3rd Mainland Bridge was a creation of the government of Lagos State and not the Federal Government. The Federal Government only took it over at a point in time when we didn’t have enough money and, therefore, included the project as part of the state’s contribution to second Five-Year Development Programme of the Federal Government in 1972. I went abroad and was surprised to discover that the headquarters of Julius Berger was located in the same area with the hospital where I went for medical treatment. I met Mr Whitman who later served as vice chairman on the board of Julius Berger. His first job in Nigeria was the construction of the Itoikin Bridge that links Lagos with Epe.

During my meeting with Mr Whitman and his team of engineers, I showed them what we were planning for the ring roads around Lagos. I believe people getting out of Lagos should have free ways that they can use. The concept I had for the inner ring road and outer ring road was to have pillars erected to the middle of Herbert Macaulay and Murtala Muhammed Way with the pillars supporting a network of highways on the top like the ones I saw in Tokyo, Japan. I believed we could achieve same in Lagos. The Julius Berger team looked into my concept and came up with a blueprint ready for my submission to the Federal Government. That was how Julius Berger and an army of officials came all the way to Lagos. Work began in earnest with the engineers in boats and canoes crisscrossing the body of water over which the 3rd Mainland Bridge and its ring roads would be built. At Marina, they proposed sand filling as the best option so as to be able to gain more useful land, in addition to solving the traffic problem on that axis. I was thinking we could use the idea of the 3rd Mainland Bridge to sand fill a sizeable portion of the water front of the University of Lagos and adjoining areas and create a big motor park where a park-and-ride system of transportation would be available to take passengers from the Oworonshoki area into Lagos, where you will equally take a taxi or a bus to wherever you are going on the Lagos Island and when you are through with what you came to do on the Island, you will be taken back by boats across the water to where your car is parked at Oworonshoki. That was one major project I would have loved to accomplish but couldn’t. To date, our waterways, I must say, are still largely underutilised.

Brigadier Johnson later became the chairman of Julius Berger Nigeria and he was the chairman for decades.

1 Like

Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by 9jaRealist: 8:32am On Oct 31, 2019
naptu2:
It was a joint project. I've often written about Alhaji Femi Okunnu's role in the project, but he was not a governor of Lagos, so I couldn't have written about him in that post.

By the way, did you read Brigadier Johnson's interview on the first page (about how the idea of the Ring Road was concieved)?

Ok...
Also do not forget the contributions of Funsho Williams.
>
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by naptu2: 8:33am On Oct 31, 2019
9jaRealist:

Ok...
>

https://allafrica.com/stories/200808220258.html
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by naptu2: 8:34am On Oct 31, 2019
9jaRealist:

Ok...
>

I actually knew Engineer Williams personally (which was one of the reasons that the roads around my house were resurfaced in 1987).

1 Like

Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by 9jaRealist: 8:34am On Oct 31, 2019
Eteka1:
Building still looks modern. Those guys really tried back then.

It was comprehensively renovated/rebuilt by Fashola...
But you are right because the basic design remains the same.
>
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by 9jaRealist: 8:36am On Oct 31, 2019
naptu2:
I actually knew Engineer Williams personally (which was one of the reasons that the roads around my house were resurfaced in 1987).

Interesting to learn that...
Was obviously before my time, but our parents’ generation revered him.
>

1 Like

Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by naptu2: 8:40am On Oct 31, 2019
9jaRealist:

Interesting to learn that...
Was obviously before my time, but our parents’ generation revered him.
>

He was a star athlete at St Gregory's College. He was a director and then permanent secretary and then commissioner at the ministry of works in the 1980s and 1990s.

He was actually at my dad's funeral in the early 1990s (I didn't notice him, because of the crowd, until I watched the video a few weeks later).

3 Likes

Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 31, 2019
[quote author=naptu2 post=83613074][/quote]
You are quite knowledgeable about Lagos. Thanks for enlightening us more.
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Burgerlomo: 8:44am On Oct 31, 2019
Na wa oo, so e don tey wey den don dey ride okada 4 Lagos grin
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Nwachineke1980: 9:06am On Oct 31, 2019
Pool betting, the number one internal generated revenue for Lagos State in 1968.Papa(Pool) deal with Nigerians, now pikin (Nairabet ,Bet9ja) don take over grin grin grin.
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by tollyboy5(m): 12:31pm On Oct 31, 2019
thanks for the details grin never learnt much about Lagos history. and I'm a stakeholder
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by naptu2: 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2019
Burgerlomo:
Na wa oo, so e don tey wey den don dey ride okada 4 Lagos grin

Those are the governor's police outriders.
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 31, 2019
9jaRealist:

Well, tells you how much of a sad commentary on Nigeria that most of the things that work today in this country was from the military rule... embarassed
>

I have always said, and I will continue to reiterate that Democracy can't work in Nigeria. There are too many dullards in the National and state Assemblies.
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by miccholo1(m): 7:58am On Oct 05, 2021
Crazeworld:
share the link. The one on your signature is not working
www.youtube.com/miccholothecomedian
Re: Mobolaji Johnson Commissions The Lagos City Hall (Throwback Video) by Crazeworld(m): 9:40pm On Oct 05, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jaafar Jaafar Flees Home Over Death Threats / Which States Will Produce The Most Electricity? / A Nairalander And His Fellow Apc Comrades Already Celebrating Obaseki Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.