Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,157 members, 7,864,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:29 AM

Amazing Okro - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Amazing Okro (1848 Views)

A Nairalander (a Bachelor) Preparing Okro Soup This Morning. / Step By Step Picture Of A Nairalander Cooking Okro Soup With Amala / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amazing Okro by AloyEmeka5: 4:55am On Nov 13, 2010
[size=14pt] Amazing Okro[/size]

I will only admit this one time that Okro soup must be part of my genetic code. My father eats it with everything, boiled plantain, boiled yam, steamed rice, amala, eba, everything. He does not seem to be particular about how mucilaginous it is. I have already written about how Gari and Okro is the breakfast to die for. I have to append that and say that I actually eat it all the time, some nights as comfort food before slouching off to bed. It is better than Valium, the ultimate comfort food.
If I’m feeling ill, or gloomy, Gari and Okro is the surefire remedy. I, unlike my father am particular about how mucilaginous my Okro is. The “draw” must be light. The Okro must be cut in big chunks, the seeds intact, retaining a bursting texture between the teeth. The cut up Okro must be drowned in water and boiled for barely ten minutes. A few slivers of onion, one hot pepper, a grudging spoon of palm oil, and salt is all that I permit. At the end of cooking, the Okro must be green not muggy.
There must not be any tarnish of meat in this meal. The accompanying Gari must be Ijebu. It must make your teeth jump.

There it is, what some might consider an absurd favourite food mission statement. I have heard stranger ones, like that of a very highly esteemed Nigerian entrepreneur who I dare not name, who worships his combination of Quaker Oats and Ewedu! The facts about this much maligned, roundly snubbed, oftentimes fervently hated Okro are amazing to read. Here are my favourites: Femi Kusa’s column in The Nation; Natural Remedies for Sound Body and Mind on January 14th 2010 gives a glowing acknowledgment on the Okro plant. He says, in a wonderfully melodramatic way (that only a true Nigerian can put it) that “, the chlorophyll, blood of the [Okro], converts to human blood, leaving behind lots of magnesium to power and calm the muscles, particularly the heart.” The mechanics of Okro turning to human blood has something very Africa Magic about it, but like we say, “idea is need!” Kusa goes on to say that Okro pods are loaded with Vitamin A, and the contentious “draw” is Calcium. Vario us sites on the Internet suggest Okro also contains Folic acid, iron, potassium, protein, and Vitamin C. One site goes on to claim that it is the secret of Cleopatra and Yang Guifei’s beauty. Yang Guifei by the way is a Chinese consort who lived in the Tang Dynasty, considered an exquisite beauty. Okro apparently protects the skin from breaking out in pimples.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/general/74061-FOOD-MATTERS-Amazing-Okro.html

Okro Coffee is made from roasted, ground and brewed Okro seeds! Eating the Okro pod protects the human body from diseases ranging from diabetes, high cholesterol, colon cancer, atherosclerosis, to lung inflammation, cataracts and depression. Okro is a two way lubricant, as Okro soup, helping to pass the “swallow” down the esophagus, and also at the other end, lubricating the large intestine, enough said! It is supposedly a cure for constipation, which is in itself possibly groundbreaking since alternative medical practitioners believe all disease begins in the colon.
Nigerians seem to be the only ones who call it that audibly uncomfortable vibrating name with an “r” that sounds like the “draw” in the soup. Cuba’s “Quimgumbo” sounds closely inelegant.
Nigerian mothers own a shocking adage for putting their children no matter how old they are in their place. It says: No matter how tall the Okro plant grows, it must always bend for the owner to pluck it! Enid Donaldson in her cookbook, The Real Taste of Jamaica suggests an interesting way of cooking the Okro. “Ochroes” are washed and drained, one egg is separated, the yolk beaten first, the white added after. The whole Ochroes are dropp ed in the beaten egg, and then into a mixture of cornmeal, flour and salt. They are fried in oil in a heavy skillet until browned lightly, drained and served hot with salt. The crispy outside texture balanced by the soft inside texture is delicious.
South Asians cook their Okro called “Bhindi” in curries with garam masala, cumin, turmeric and lemon juice (which I suppose minimizes the sliminess). Junji Takano, a Japanese health researcher suggests eating Okro raw, mixed with mayonnaise or with vinegar and pepper.
, I mustn’t forget that man arrested by NDLEA at Seme, on his way to Cotonou to board a plane to Italy with 1kg of cocaine suspended in Okro soup, as reported by The Nigerian Voice News on June 3rd 2010,
There is that matter of “Okro soup in dre ams” which I’m not even going to bring up here. It seems that many foods that are good for us get thrown on the rubbish heap on the back of silly superstition. But then again perhaps it is God’s providence that allows these unfo unded beliefs so that Okro like Mackerel (Oku eko) remains affordable for the poor, the “Mekunu”.
We’ve often sat around and discussed my father’s youthfulness, he rarely falls ill, and has an unflustered live and let live personality. Perhaps we should all be eating Okro with everything.
Re: Amazing Okro by snthesis(m): 7:24am On Nov 15, 2010
Nice article- u jst got a convert
Re: Amazing Okro by dominique(f): 7:43am On Nov 15, 2010
Nice writeup, never knew okro was this nutricious.
Re: Amazing Okro by FOREXMART(m): 4:31pm On Nov 26, 2010
I always cook it as a support to ma egusi soup will upload a pic soon.
Re: Amazing Okro by cogicero: 10:53pm On Nov 26, 2010
okro is very ok really
Re: Amazing Okro by snthesis(m): 1:32am On Nov 27, 2010
Scared of eatin okro outside
Re: Amazing Okro by Rocktation(f): 2:33pm On Nov 28, 2010
What can i say? I love your thread. And you make me want to love the soup, too.
Re: Amazing Okro by spicy007(f): 3:53pm On Nov 29, 2010
first time i heard of the likeness Cleopatra and the Chinese lady had of okro was on the "Uche Can Cook" show held on Saturdays around 10am on 92.3 Inspiration Fm. When they utlined the advantages of okro, my "hand fall big time".
Okro has so many nutients and is soo good foor the skin.
when i heard that programme, i got converted.
Re: Amazing Okro by rubi(f): 4:22pm On Dec 01, 2010
Okro is good I think that is the reason why it parents start feeding their kids okro soup at tender age also it is slippery to swallow

(1) (Reply)

Weirdest Stories Of Modern Day Cannibalism / Millions Made With This Fufu Pounding Machine / American Lady Turns Herself Into A Cooked Turkey For Thanksgiving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.