Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,650 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date (33411 Views)

$19 Billion Dangote Refinery Gets Another 1 Million Barrels Crude Oil / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos) / Dangote Refinery Takes Delivery Of Gigantic Distillation Component In Lekki.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by Alarib(m): 9:51pm On Oct 31, 2019
I really do understand your point
But take into consideration that the man made an investment and will want to recoup that as fast as possible....maybe in the long run he will sell cheaper, but as a business man he wants his money back with profit fast.....and remember....he wants to buy arsenal grin

Agboriotejoye:
I keep saying it. Dangote is the front for the cabal milking Nigeria dry.
Just imagine buying crude at export price and selling at import price to a local market. What then is the point of the dollar breaks CBN have been giving the guy.
In other words, dangote refinery is another euphemism for removal of subsidy

The landing cost of fuel is N133. If he is selling at that amount or close to, then what difference does it make to the Nigerian market. Nigeria is an oil producing nation, so selling for local demand at international price should not arise except there's a plan to exploit the masses.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by INTEGRITYA1(m): 10:03pm On Oct 31, 2019
I dey pity those that are saying; Ibeju-Lekki too far, instead of them to buy land now while still affordable.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by samorobo: 10:05pm On Oct 31, 2019
Naughtysite:
Shifting of Goal post.

How does your grammatical composition relate to this scenario
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 31, 2019
Seems like an office has been setup on Dangote's head. Building a business is actually harder than monopolizing government waivers and kicking competitors out of business.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by chigoizie7(m): 10:10pm On Oct 31, 2019
I do not know the quality of petrol used in naija to that of SA unleaded is R16/liter while naija is N145/liter.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by porka: 10:13pm On Oct 31, 2019
QuotaSystem:

Where did it say he will sell to Nigeria in USD?

What effect will the consequent fall in demand for USD for importation have?

Therein lies your answer.

You still dont understand.

Crude oil is traded in US dollars. The IOCs will sell crude oil to Dangote in dollars. Dangote refinery must present dollars to oil companies to buy crude oil (raw material) to refine. How will there be fall in demand for dollars when a single company must be ready to pay dollars in exchange for 650,000 barrels daily?

Check the report very well, it says Dangote will sell to Nigerians at import price. You are deliberately inputing " where did he say he will sell in USD?" to satisfy your narrative. It doesn't change the well laid down fact that Dangote will buy crude oil in dollars.

Your optimism is not based on science but false assumptions.

Apart from freight cost, which will now be through pipeline and tankers instead of ship and barges, the advantage is not much as you are celebrating. It is always better to be cautious of impact of something you don't have understanding of to avoid disappointment.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by bobbybrown007: 10:41pm On Oct 31, 2019
One day, dangote will determine how our economy will be like, it will then becum 1 system market, please God cum quick
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by musicwriter(m): 10:49pm On Oct 31, 2019
Dangote is already receiving a lesson on neo-colonialism. I predicted this long ago. By the time his eyes clear, he would've sold the refinery as scrap. However, if he succeeds, we'll be half free but I doubt it.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by olowococoa: 10:59pm On Oct 31, 2019
Dangote investments is a total scam to Nigerian common man,using our money to surfer us at the same time.

Why can't our refinery work and even build more or better still give room for enough competion on all what Dagote produce to Nigerians

Cabals at work, keep off

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by loadedvibes: 11:25pm On Oct 31, 2019
You have sense no doubt and you spoke my mind
Agboriotejoye:
Just imagine buying crude at export price and selling at import price to a local market. What then is the point of the dollar breaks CBN have been giving the guy.

The landing cost of fuel is N133. If he is selling at that amount or close to, then what difference does it make to the Nigerian market. Nigeria is an oil producing nation, so selling for local demand at international price should not arise except there's a plan to exploit the masses.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by QuotaSystem: 11:36pm On Oct 31, 2019
porka:

You still dont understand.

Crude oil is traded in US dollars. The IOCs will sell crude oil to Dangote in dollars. Dangote refinery must present dollars to oil companies to buy crude oil (raw material) to refine. How will there be fall in demand for dollars when a single company must be ready to pay dollars in exchange for 650,000 barrels daily?

Check the report very well, it says Dangote will sell to Nigerians at import price. You are deliberately inputing " where did he say he will sell in USD?" to satisfy your narrative. It doesn't change the well laid down fact that Dangote will buy crude oil in dollars.

Your optimism is not based on science but false assumptions.

Apart from freight cost, which will now be through pipeline and tankers instead of ship and barges, the advantage is not much as you are celebrating. It is always better to be cautious of impact of something you don't have understanding of to avoid disappointment.

Actually you're the one that is grossly misinformed. You are wrongly assuming Dangote will source his USD to buy crude from the CBN. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He has his global operations, foreign creditors, strategic partners and other sources; it would be the height of daftness on the CBN's part if that was the case.

You cannot deny that the national forex savings from a huge daily petroleum import bill in the millions of $ will have a significant impact on our reserves and exchange rate. Tens of millions of U$D daily that would have left our shores to foreign refineries.

You cannot deny that the foreign exchange Nigeria stands to gain through export of his refined oil and other petrochemical products will have a positive impact on our reserves. He is legally required to repatriate part proceeds of his forex sales like any other exporter.

You cannot deny that the 9,500 and 25,000 indirect jobs this project is expected to create will have positive economic multiplier effects.

It will not help being needlessly pessimistic, especially over issues you're yet to properly grasp.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by gnykelly(m): 11:38pm On Oct 31, 2019
mamaafrik:
hmmmmm,when you mean abuse it,how do you mean please,thanks
I don't like discussing on NL... But you seems polite.

Wempco was given sole waiver to import cold steel so that it can generate enough capital to build a steel rolling plant in Nigeria...
They were Importing and reselling at a higher price to other companies due to the advantage of being sole importer... In the long run the abandoned the Idea of building the factory
And we're using our forex to make free money... The waiver was cancelled.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by grandstar(m): 11:52pm On Oct 31, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Quotasystem, read this so as to know that charging international price for locally refined crude is international 419. Also read porka's analyses, he's on point.

If dangote has been getting import waivers, forex concessions and other freebies from govt in the name of building a never ending refinery, then i think getting crude cheaper should be mincemeat for him except he's just up to a greedy game. We all know why our refineries have stopped producing totally is because of dangote's incoming refinery. Do you mean if tables were turned and the refineries start producing, they would sell to the Nigerian market at international prices? even Saudi oil company doesn't sell fuel at international prices in its local market. Be careful what you're defending cause you will also be a part of the receiver.
@grandstar, I daresay dangote has made a profit off Nigeria building the refineries already. Homemade products should be cheaper than imported ones, that's primary school knowledge. Dangote in cohorts with govt is planning a robbery of Nigerians like he did with cement during OBJ's time.

why are you condemning Dangote for government's stupidity? Soludo and especially Sanusi condemned Buharis forex policies such as special exchange rates. It breeds cronyism and corruption just as you've now seen. Dangote did not need a cent at any preferential rate but only a few can resist the irresistible?

Dangotes persistent postponement of the refinery's opening is ominous. From 2019, to 2020 and now 2021. It is pregnant with meaning. I suspect he wants the fuel price deregulated before he starts operations. I might also be wrong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by QuotaSystem: 12:05am On Nov 01, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

Quotasystem, read this so as to know that charging international price for locally refined crude is international 419. Also read porka's analyses, he's on point.

I will try to spoonfeed this logic to you one last time.

Aliko buys his input (crude) at global prices.

Aliko processes (refines) the crude at global costs.

For goodness sake, at what price will Aliko need to sell in order to be profitable and remain in business? Will he run at a loss simply because he is refining in Nigeria?
I rest my case.

Besides I see you either deliberately or conveniently totally ignored the impact of forex savings on our reserves (which is the actual reason for all those FG waivers & concessions you were complaining of) so your pedestrian view is not surprising smiley. You must really think Godwin Emefiele is extremely daft.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by EdiskyHarry: 12:17am On Nov 01, 2019
one day Niger delta oil will dry up, so that everybody will go to their own country
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by mamaafrik(m): 1:11am On Nov 01, 2019
gnykelly:

I don't like discussing on NL... But you seems polite.

Wempco was given sole waiver to import cold steel so that it can generate enough capital to build a steel rolling plant in Nigeria...
They were Importing and reselling at a higher price to other companies due to the advantage of being sole importer... In the long run the abandoned the Idea of building the factory
And we're using our forex to make free money... The waiver was cancelled.
now that is not cool,thanks for the insight.
Do any one know if INNOSON or PROFORCE is given any sort of assistance Like free gas,power tax rebate ,tax holiday,import waiver etc
I know we are well represented anyone with the idea.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by Mbitiouz69: 1:11am On Nov 01, 2019
WENGERNOMICS:

This project will make Aliko 3 times richer than he currently is. 650,000 barrels a day is not beans.

he will reach top ten in the world before 2025 with this very move, but it would have been better for Nigerians if he launches it in 2020
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by kelvinUchiha(m): 1:22am On Nov 01, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

If dangote has been getting import waivers, forex concessions and other freebies from govt in the name of building a never ending refinery, then i think getting crude cheaper should be mincemeat for him except he's just up to a greedy game. We all know why our refineries have stopped producing totally is because of dangote's incoming refinery. Do you mean if tables were turned and the refineries start producing, they would sell to the Nigerian market at international prices? even Saudi oil company doesn't sell fuel at international prices in its local market. Be careful what you're defending cause you will also be a part of the receiver.
@grandstar, I daresay dangote has made a profit off Nigeria building the refineries already. Homemade products should be cheaper than imported ones, that's primary school knowledge. Dangote in cohorts with govt is planning a robbery of Nigerians like he did with cement during OBJ's time.

You sabi book but look at it from this angle.
Some Government guys like babangida have this same refinery abroad and are buying our crude oil and refining it abroad and selling it back to us and government is paying heavily for the price to still be stable. If we have it in Nigeria the money will be used to do other things for Nigerians even if they buy it at 133. Do you know how much money will remain inside this country and boost our gdp when we start exporting to Ghana and other African countries

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by obi58: 1:25am On Nov 01, 2019
QuotaSystem:

How did you conclude on the currency to be used for payment?

Besides what price do you think his major competitors are selling their refined oil?

Don't forget that for him to survive and excel as a global player in the industry, he must remain competitive.

Modified:

Let us break this down:

Dangote will not sell to Nigeria in Dollars unlike if we were importing refined fuel. That is KEY. Why?

It is because Nigeria will benefit greatly from eliminating a huge daily demand for USD to import fuel. This fall in demand has a direct effect on the exchange rate which will fall as a result of a fall in demand for $. Additionally Dangote will be forced to repatriate some of his USD income from exports, which will also boost our foreign reserves. More USD in the reserves means more USD available to satisfy our daily forex bill and avoid price spikes because the CBN will be better positioned to intervene accordingly.

Now why can't Dangote just sell to us at a reduced price? It is also simple.

For Dangote to survive in the global oil industry, it means he must then be able to compete favorably with other international refineries. That would be impossible if he is subsidizing prices for specific countries, because the costs of input (crude) and processing (refining) are the same or similar to his other competitors across the world. He must therefore sell at global prices, Nigeria not excluded (do not forget he is exporting the excess refined fuel to other countries) so as to remain profitable to his investors and keep him from shutting down after a few months of operation.

Yes we are an oil producing nation, but we are not 'dashing' the crude to Dangote to process for us. He is buying it from us at global prices too, and adding value (refining) at a cost he must recover and make some profit on.

This is rather simplified but hopefully it puts things in clearer perspective.

Very very very foolish analysis.

Go to other oil producing nations like Saudi Arabia and confirm if refineries there procure crude oil at international pricing to refine and sell for domestic consumption.

If we follow your train of thought that we are not dashing out our crude then where is the advantage to the Nigerian people of a domestic refinery?

Why won't a monopoly develop?

Why then will our 4 refineries work even with the continued 'investment' into it?
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by Akanbiedu(m): 1:41am On Nov 01, 2019
Dangote's prices should be lower for two major reasons.

(i) The refinery is closer to source of raw material. Dangote by refining in Nigeria has eliminated the cost of shipping and other logistics to and fro somewhere in Europe or Asia.

(ii) Labour cost in Nigeria should be comparatively lower than those places.

So it is commonsense that prices should be lower.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by sulaak(m): 2:45am On Nov 01, 2019
post=83636817:
Slow and steady we will get to a New and better Nigeria .

God bless Dangote.

God bless Nigeria.

You are blessing a man that is screwing Nigerian.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by lexy2014: 3:01am On Nov 01, 2019
DanXplore:

They'd better buckle up or risk extinction

Who is buckling up?
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by Wiseandtrue(f): 4:23am On Nov 01, 2019
simonlee:
the Nigerian factor has started taking effect gradually!
i wouldn't be surprised if this postponement was deliberate just to allow the "lords of subsidy" loot more before handing it over to Dangote grin grin
All the initial gra-gra was part of the scam they sold to Nigerians as electoral promises

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by jaxxy(m): 5:04am On Nov 01, 2019
QuotaSystem:

If he is getting his input (crude oil) at a subsidized rate, then it would be commercially possible for him to sell to us as a cheaper price.

However this makes little economic sense, because we operate on a budget that is prepared with specifed benchmarks for our oil prices and production output. Selling for lower will have unfavorable economic multiplier effects as that means less revenue (and forex) for Nigeria.

Besides it would mean we will be saving Naira (cheaper petrol from dangote) and losing dollars (selling our crude for less) when it should be the other way round.

The truth is dangote shud not be the only refiner of crude oil or else he will monopolize it and do what he pleases with Nigerians. How do we then create competitive prices? Dangote is here to do business not help Nigerians in anyway. Infact he may rip us off.

The country has given him waivers yet when it’s business time they act like they are strangers when the government shud have a say or influence on the local price only. He external demands will be at his so called international prices.

Also I want to believe dangote refinery will mean the end of subsidy which the government pays so much. This ultimately explains why otedola divested and this might be the only advantage of the refinery to Nigeria as importers won’t be able to demand subsidy any longer. Government will be free.

Bt the price will be at dangote discretion and so called international rates which as a capitalist and monopolist will be unfair on Nigerians unless there’s an outcry.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by grandstar(m): 5:08am On Nov 01, 2019
kelvinUchiha:

You sabi book but look at it from this angle.
Some Government guys like babangida have this same refinery abroad and are buying our crude oil and refining it abroad and selling it back to us and government is paying heavily for the price to still be stable. If we have it in Nigeria the money will be used to do other things for Nigerians even if they buy it at 133. Do you know how much money will remain inside this country and boost our gdp when we start exporting to Ghana and other African countries

The best economists in the world all say what I have said : end subsidy and deregulate the price. Deregulation of the price means let it be determined by market forces. That is what most governments have tried to do except Buhari.

Once the price is deregulated, government has no business buying petrol. The price of diesel has been deregulated and government doesn't spend a dime on it. Once the petrol price is deregulated, government will no longer be a buyer of petrol.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by QuotaSystem: 6:10am On Nov 01, 2019
It is almost shocking that despite your lack of manners, you do not know the basic difference between a private refinery (run by IOCs e.g Dangote) and a Gov't owned refinery (run by NOC's e.g Aramco of Saudi & NNPC of Nigeria).

This dosco

obi58:

Go to other oil producing nations like Saudi Arabia and confirm if refineries there procure crude oil at international pricing to refine and sell for domestic consumption.

If we follow your train of thought that we are not dashing out our crude then where is the advantage to the Nigerian people of a domestic refinery?

Why then will our 4 refineries work even with the continued 'investment' into it?
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by QuotaSystem: 6:13am On Nov 01, 2019
It is almost shocking that despite your appalling lack of manners, you do not know the basic difference between a private refinery (run by IOCs e.g Dangote) and a Gov't owned refinery (run by NOC's e.g Aramco of Saudi & NNPC of Nigeria). The benefits accruing from saved forex also flew over your head.

This discourse is clearly above your paygrade.

Fade.

obi58:

Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by obi58: 7:02am On Nov 01, 2019
QuotaSystem:
It is almost shocking that despite your appalling lack of manners, you do not know the basic difference between a private refinery (run by IOCs e.g Dangote) and a Gov't owned refinery (run by NOC's e.g Aramco of Saudi & NNPC of Nigeria). The benefits accruing from saved forex also flew over your head.

This discourse is clearly above your paygrade.

Fade.

Yen Yen yennnnn...

Story for the Gods...

If people like you were in Power even the railways would have been privatised long ago...

Instead of you as a concerned Nigerian to be asking why our 4 refineries are still not functional 5 years into this administration with all the public funds pumped into them. You are here masturbating on the project of a private individual whose previous forays into Cement and Flour did absolutely nothing to transform those sectors except exercise a stranglehold on Nigerians and maximise profits.

Every country no matter how capitalist it is, exhibits some level of protectionism in ensuring that the welfare of its citizens should be prioritised.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by Yorubasareslave: 7:28am On Nov 01, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

What difference does it make it babangida has a refinery outside and sells at international prices while dangote has his here and sells at the same international price? Dangote may even end up being the better for it since he does not have to worry abt logistics on the high seas. You and quotasystem keep making allusion to money being saved by exporting to African countries but don't realise even Benin does not buy dangote cement and dangote will compete internationally not like the monopoly he's abt to enjoy on the local front.
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by Raylight2(m): 7:29am On Nov 01, 2019
Naughtysite:
Shifting of Goal post.
they are taking it backer than it was. kikikikkkki
Re: Dangote Refinery Rules Out 2020, As Refinery Gets New Date by yudee233: 7:48am On Nov 01, 2019
Some people are justifying Dangote selling at international prices and clapping for CBN telling local farmers to sale at local prices

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Virtual Sports Betting Secrets / Profitable Jobs That Nigerians Dont Like Doing. / First Bank Kano Flooded (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.