Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,010 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV (12117 Views)

I Graduated With 2:1 But This Is Making Two Years Now No Work / How To Write The Perfect CV For Someone With No Work Experience (Part 2) / 4 Tips To Help You Write A CV When You’ve Got No Work Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:20am On Nov 01, 2019
Don’t let a lack of work experience put you off applying for a role where otherwise you meet most of the requirements. Instead, make the most of your other qualities: your skills, attitude, potential and enthusiasm.

1. Identify what qualifies you for the role

It isn’t only paid experience that counts. Voluntary or community involvement, work placements, coursework, personal projects and extracurricular activities can all be highlighted to show your suitability. Think from the employer’s perspective – decide on the most interesting factors, where you have used relevant skills, and then make these prominent on your CV.

For instance, this graduate CV highlights education and training, including achievements and endorsements, while this CV demonstrates how to emphasize project work above less relevant work experience. Breaking down each project into target, result and learned competencies shows relevant skills and achievements in context.

2. Make yourself irresistible to an employer

One of the hardest things to do convincingly on a CV is to convey desirable personality traits. Just writing that you are enthusiastic or motivated without giving supporting details isn’t enough. Instead, demonstrate through examples.

Starting something from scratch and overcoming hurdles can show resourcefulness and determination. You can use examples like this to illustrate other characteristics such as an ability to get on with others, or organizational and communication skills.

Holding down a job to help family finances or pay your way through college can reveal humility and a strong work ethic: “Consistent work record: held variety of part-time roles since the age of 16 to contribute to educational costs.” Learning about a role or sector through online communities, upskilling through tutorials or conducting your own projects all show enthusiasm – it could fit into the education, training or skills section of your CV.

Graduate employers like applicants who can demonstrate these personality traits, as well as attributes such as numeracy and commercial awareness, which you could show through retail, marketing or sales work.

Quantify achievements where possible (how much money saved, percentage of time reduced, etc) and mention instances where you were promoted, rehired, or given greater responsibility.

3. Speak the same language

This is especially the case for career changers, but all applicants should aim to use language that an employer would expect to see from an ideal candidate. Include keywords throughout your CV, in job titles, skills, and in how you describe your work experience. In this example, the course modules (international finance, risk management, etc) are keywords in their own right, and are included in the skills section, titled “specialized knowledge”.

4. Experiment with layout

You don’t need to always use a strict chronological work history format or have the same section order. Put the most important information first – relevant project work can come before less relevant employment, while voluntary projects bridging your move into a new career could come before current, paid work.

You can be flexible with layout and include additional sections for work that is less relevant, or earlier in your career. You can also put your education before your work experience, or extract relevant course work and place that prominently.

Don’t be tempted to flesh out a CV with long, rambling paragraphs and irrelevant details to compensate for a lack of work experience. Instead, write leanly and concisely, and focus on making it easy for your reader to find key information.

Consider putting a summary of stand-out points at the beginning of your CV. Put your name and contact details at the top of the page, then use the job title itself as a heading. Under this, summarize key details such as years of experience in a particular skill, project experience or summer placements at that company, or a short branding statement highlighting your strengths and attributes. A couple of lines in note or bullet-point format (rather than entire sentences) can work well. Include a brief cover letter explaining your reasons for applying, and interest in the company.

Read more at: https://patrickokunima.com/4-tips-to-help-you-write-a-great-cv-when-youve-got-no-work-experience/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by IMASTEX: 6:26am On Nov 01, 2019
1. Identify what qualifies you for the role
In Nigeria, getting the right answers to the above is the only requirements. I.e. Who is the godfather that referred you. Or you simply do cash and carry. By the way, have they started importation of jobs?! The last time I remember even private companies have join in doing replacement, instead of recruitment. Good luck to applicants though!

1 Like

Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by rentAcock(m): 6:26am On Nov 01, 2019
This guy's CV topics always make front page.
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by BabaIbo: 6:27am On Nov 01, 2019
Op forget all these your list...

Get better connect or get better skills... the rest na jara

5 Likes

Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Enitxt(m): 6:28am On Nov 01, 2019
Ok
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by DrNueLpureHoney: 6:30am On Nov 01, 2019
Nice tips... Kudos to the OP.

If you need Any Brand New or American used (IPhone or Samsung ) phones or Laptops.. Call or whatsapp me on the number attached to my signature below 0-8-0-9-2-1-5_19_59 or check out my profile
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Abortedfetus(m): 6:34am On Nov 01, 2019
I got a job without any experience.
When I got to dat part,
I wrote dat I was a singer in my church choir and I love communities work, helping people with disability.
And lots more.
These quality made them to know I was not a militant.
I got d job.

1 Like

Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Cindycruzz: 6:35am On Nov 01, 2019
Yh
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by americaninja1: 6:41am On Nov 01, 2019
Nice one
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by babyfaceafrica: 6:48am On Nov 01, 2019
most jobs na connect abeg
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Emekuslala1: 6:49am On Nov 01, 2019
Nice one
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by chloroform: 6:51am On Nov 01, 2019
I need me a Job too. Will soon be done with NYSC however thinking about it is quite terrifying.
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 01, 2019
Thanks op this tips
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by qanda: 7:08am On Nov 01, 2019
Ok
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by tsfxtech(m): 7:17am On Nov 01, 2019
You will agree with me that short videos engages potential customers more than mere text and images. Animate your business today, attract more customers and make more money.
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by OPTIMUSPRIME08: 7:40am On Nov 01, 2019
The time CV was used as a criteria is past gone.
None employers are acting like second God cos of unemployment rate.
You see stupid interview questions and process.
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Abiboss: 7:46am On Nov 01, 2019
Helpful thanks
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by OlawaleBammie: 7:53am On Nov 01, 2019
Abortedfetus:
When I got to dat part,
I wrote dat I was a singer in my church choir and I love communities work, helping people with disability.
And lots more.
I got d job.

Is Dis sarcasm or what? u re confusing my confusion..

JOB....NO EXPERIENCE.... COMMUNITY WORK.. MILITANT... GOT EMPLOYED.

am confused.
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Nizguy(m): 7:55am On Nov 01, 2019
Pls is it necessary to add NYSC experience to work experience?
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Equity15(m): 8:12am On Nov 01, 2019
Abortedfetus:
When I got to dat part,
And lots more.
I got d job.
Alaye jor jor jor

1 Like

Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Equity15(m): 8:13am On Nov 01, 2019
Nizguy:
Pls is it necessary to add NYSC experience to work experience?
b4 nko? the labour market is very saturated oh.. anything to give an you edge.

1 Like

Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Nizguy(m): 8:17am On Nov 01, 2019
Equity15:
b4 nko? the labour market is very saturated oh.. anything to give an you edge.

Thanks
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by uuzba(m): 9:35am On Nov 01, 2019
Abortedfetus:
When I got to dat part,
And lots more.
I got d job.
Excellent! smiley
There is Nobody without experience.
Nigerians so foolishly belittle themselves and forget the little that they have.
3 months and 6 months Industrial Training from school is experience. Write it.
The project that you did in final year is experience. Write it.
My first CV, I also wrote, "I assited/served in my sister's wedding. I sold meatpie/puff-puff with my mum..."
These guys gave you that job because you used "common sense" and identified yourself on that sheet of paper.
A lot of foolish people have no common sense. Just to complain online everyday.

2 Likes

Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by FreeSpirited: 10:29am On Nov 01, 2019
Surprising people are not on this page..
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Abortedfetus(m): 1:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
It's wisdom my friend.
If I show u my sample CV,
U go find work for me.
OlawaleBammie:

am confused.
Re: No Work Experience? Here Are Tips To Help You Write A Great CV by Abortedfetus(m): 6:54am On Nov 05, 2019
Don't get confused.
Alot of of employees knows dat it's hard to have dat 5yrs experience.
So they are checking for other things silently.
When u write dat ur hobby is reading, swimming etc,they just assume u lifted it from somewhere.
Rather when asked about your hobby,say things dat are unique to u like u play instrument in church,u train animals,community security,.
They will know u are stable.
OlawaleBammie:

am confused.

(1) (Reply)

Get A Job For Yourself Without Stress / NIMASA 2012 Interview! / 2018 Nigerian Navy (DSSC 26) Nationwide Massive Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.