Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,503 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again (28482 Views)

Ghanaian Lady Shares The Truth About Nigerians & Ghanaian Traders (pix/video) / Nigerian Shops To Be Closed In Accra Today - Ghanaian Presidential Committee / Ghanaian Traders Lock Shops Belonging To Nigerians & Other Foreigners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by ajebuter(f): 3:00pm On Nov 01, 2019
Officialgarri:
So they have these so much laws that prevent foreigners from operating business in their country, yet they want us to open our borders for them? angry

We die here, we will not open that border.

This really cracked me up..

I swear you no well... grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Sonnobax15(m): 3:01pm On Nov 01, 2019
grin Sound so funny to me..The likes of benin republic,togo,cameroon and niger aren't complaining,why the far away ghana??..how our border closure tay affect them still baffles me.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by tegrianonigltd(m): 3:01pm On Nov 01, 2019
Coldie:
Nigerians are funny sha, just to bear I dae abroad u guys go through hell.
With all the untapped locations in Nigeria with our large market somebody would go to Ghana to go and do petty trading.

If its there law I can't question it, but I hope ECOWAS won't scream blue murder when Nigeria retaliates.

I know many people from Niger republic in PH who own shops and kiosks and engage other petty services but we no send.

There country there rules Goodluck to them, poor countries are always very petty, the fact that Ghanaians are dragging petty trading with immigrants, a low-level business, shows how low these Ghanaians are. If not for Juliet Ibrahim I would think all Ghanaians are not reasonable

No light in Nigeria, you shut border against them, you expect them to relax..

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by planetx: 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
If Nigerians cannot do petty trading, drive Taxis, operate salons and barber shops. What about the Ghanaians in Western countries doing this occupations, should America ban Ghanaians from driving Taxis in NY and Washington DC? We Africans have no love for each other.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by johnmattew: 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
Lami4real:
Nigerian government are yet to know the implication of this nonsense policy. Tunde Fowler, Emefiele and Boss Buhari are treading on a very dangerous part, that can lead to total collapse of the economy.

We make chinese yuan payment to your 1688 suppliers @ #52.5/RMB and we ship your goods down to nigeria from China cheaper, faster and secured.
just look at the senseless comment u just made..it's only Dumbo's that make such

3 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by BULLIONVAN4(m): 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
Glink2018:
[s]Ipob leader supposed do sth to this ugly situations that is happening to their people in Ghana
[/s]
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by maasoap(m): 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
condemn:
Them go soon start to deport Nigerians from Ghana the way this Border matter dey go so

It's not new, they've been doing that for the past one or two years. They just restarted, simple.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by 1x2x3: 3:04pm On Nov 01, 2019
Rafiq2:
Well, that's a very stup#d law, these Ghanaians are starting to piss me off, all because we say no to smuggling, they decided to frustrated our people doing legimate business in their country.

please if you know any Ghanaian shops around ur area, indicate, let's reciprocate this kind jesture

Your own police will shoot you.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Wiifesnatcher(m): 3:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
west Africa is the only sub Africa region that don't follow their constitution, even Buhari is not exempted in this scenario. did buhari express displeasure against the porous Nigeria boarder that aid smuggling of goods to her neighboring countries? the answer is No

the ECOWAS should be scrapped and throw in the dustbin if its members cannot adhere to the law. I think west Africa countries are one of the backward countries in Africa

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Iogobenz(m): 3:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
OChimex:

Lol. You aren't a businessman so don't talk about trade and call their hustle petty. By the way, do you expect them to get money from where to start in a big way? Everything big started from small.

There reason for going out to these countries is that there are less competition over there than in Nigeria.

Many of them who you call petty do so very well than their counterparts here.

And they have very favorable business environment, standard of living better, and Economy more stable than in this mismanaged enclave called Nigeria.

Check them out, you barely see those guys there looking bony. Like guys from Senegal look so well fed, at least they eat well than their malnourished counterparts in this idiotic country called Nigeria
I just ignored him cos I know what he was spewing is as a result of ignorance so no need to banter with him.
undecided
If they start to bring out their money now I am sure he will go look for a cool corner to hide.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by maasoap(m): 3:06pm On Nov 01, 2019
Officialgarri:
So they have these so much laws that prevent foreigners from operating business in their country, yet they want us to open our borders for them? angry

We die here, we will not open that border.

Another perspective here. They didn't start locking up Nigerians shops this year, it is really has nothing to do with the Nigeria borders closure. If you search the internet, you will see the news as far back as last year

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by maasoap(m): 3:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
StupidNLmods:
If those useless looting apc rogues and the dead President are performing well, who will enter Ghana? undecided

As stupid as anyone could be, I don't think anyone can beat you to clinch first position in the contest for the crown of stupidity. Guess there were no Nigerians in Ghana before the "useless looting apc rogues and the dead President" came to power.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Just30: 3:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
dontbothermuch:

Yes, I agree, but do you know about the trade war between US & China plus part of Europe.

Trade deficit & manipulation of currency value.

What does Ghana produce that their currency should outshine the naira?
enough that you cant produce
grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by stagger: 3:15pm On Nov 01, 2019
The GIPC laws of Ghana are very clear. GUTA is right to lock those shops as they contravene the law.
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Kokoebapluse(m): 3:15pm On Nov 01, 2019
For what reason? grin

Dix border closure is paining them oo
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 01, 2019
So Nigerians even travel to Ghana to do petty trading? They say I left Nigeria for any other country,that can only be the USA. The day US shuts it doors on Nigeria then I die in Nigeria!
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:19pm On Nov 01, 2019
Cheap blackmail won't help your course Ghanaians! If you like,you can deport all Nigerians currently resident in your country. We just don't care.

The border closure is for the good of our economy and no amount of blackmail or threat will make us rescind that decision for now.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by SEGLIZ: 3:26pm On Nov 01, 2019
this the case of a boy setting his father's roof on fire.
a child agitating a war even his father is avoiding cos he knows their combination can never win.
this idiot can not threaten us to leave our country in shambles to better theirs, time to buy back our respect from all this minus.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Litmus: 3:27pm On Nov 01, 2019
Nigerian traders in Ghana obviously do not have long-term future in Ghana, since these closures occur regularly. They should view it as omen portending to approaching calamity and make contingencies to leave that Nation even after their business are reopened.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by edoairways: 3:27pm On Nov 01, 2019
sonnie10:

You don’t understand the regional trade. There are more goods coming from Ghana into Nigeria than from Benin and Togo combined.
Two things makes Ghana different. One is that they have more local industries producing for export to other West African countries because of their favorable business environment. Constant power supply, security and infrastructure.
Secondly, they are English speaking with reputable private importers. Foreign countries prefer to deal with them than their other neighboring countries. So, big franchises and sole distributors of foreign goods are mostly based there and operate from there to the big market in Nigeria.
Lastly Nigeria regulatory agencies have so many bureaucratic hurdles. From customs, SON, to Nafdac, they are not business oriented. So, people prefer to go the Ghana route, to import and then through land borders bring their goods into Nigeria which is where the market is.
Now that is why Ghana is apprehensive. Big businesses are affected and boarder closure impacts their economy.
Then they are dumb if they used such protest as an excuse for border closure
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Coldie(m): 3:35pm On Nov 01, 2019
OChimex:

Lol. You aren't a businessman so don't talk about trade and call their hustle petty. By the way, do you expect them to get money from where to start in a big way? Everything big started from small.

There reason for going out to these countries is that there are less competition over there than in Nigeria.

Many of them who you call petty do so very well than their counterparts here.

And they have very favorable business environment, standard of living better, and Economy more stable than in this mismanaged enclave called Nigeria.

Check them out, you barely see those guys there looking bony. Like guys from Senegal look so well fed, at least they eat well than their malnourished counterparts in this idiotic country called Nigeria
As an ipob your opinion doesn't count. Until u speak from an unbiased perspective

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by edoairways: 3:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
planetx:
If Nigerians cannot do petty trading, drive Taxis, operate salons and barber shops. What about the Ghanaians in Western countries doing this occupations, should America ban Ghanaians from driving Taxis in NY and Washington DC? We Africans have no love for each other.
Population and prosperity of many Nigerians is intimidating those Ghanaians

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Coldie(m): 3:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
tegrianonigltd:

No light in Nigeria, you shut border against them, you expect them to relax..
If we shut border against them let them do same not attack Nigerian businesses
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by vezycash(m): 3:44pm On Nov 01, 2019
Angelfrost:
If those listed laws and regulations are true, then this is laudable... Nigeria government should borrow a leaf from these dark Negroes.

I have no complaints whatsoever.... But, if this is any way linked maliciously to the border closure, then I laugh in Kenkey, cos it won't work. grin

This is not about law. It's just their normal madness. This has little to do with border closure. The border ish is just an excuse for them to lock up shops of Nigerians and prob Lebanese.

Many Ghanaians are plain lazy. Take example. Most shops and markets would remain locked till past 10 in the morning. And close early too. Many of them don't know what bulk price is. As in, you could buy a carton of an item and then discover that you could have bought it in pieces for the same price.

Their market women also prefer to let food items spoil, rotten and then throw it away than reduce price. I once stood for more than 5 minutes in front of a Ghana woman's shop to buy credit. There was no customer in the shop. The woman was talking to her friend. She saw me. Kept quiet and kept talking. I've forgotten whether I walked away eventually or why I even stood there in the first place.

In short, dem no sabi business. When an Igbo man goes there, or any where for that matter, dem go open shop very early and close very late. They'll friends with customers and business will boom. Instead of the lazy bums to up their service, they'll instead go have secret meetings and next you know - mass lock up of shops.

And guess what? If any of those 9ja guys leave the place, one of the ghana guys will start the same business - in the same shop self.

Note: This is not a Ghana only problem. Even in Lagos, the work ethic of Igbo business drive many yoruba guys crazy with envy. And the only law they can use to close shops or the whole market is, "The market is dirty. You didn't pay TV and radio licence...."

6 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Hazel01Stevens(m): 3:45pm On Nov 01, 2019
Abeg ooo.. Make una no vex.. I get dis question wey don dey trouble my heart.. If any body fit give me correct answer i go really appreciate tahm...

1st. Watin Nigeria do to deserve all this hating.. First this year na from SA now na Ghana. My bros Ghana! Ghana wey we dey see as our sister from another mother..

2nd. We dey share land borders with Ghana? Because even me I Confuse.

3rd.. Ok, the Nig. FEDERAL GOV. Say make Ghana no import anything to Nigeria? Even via the legal ports. Weather na land or sea port..

4th.. If our neighbors no fit support policies way go benefit us.. Neighbors wey we gat the back for years in different ways. No Be Enemy of Progress Dem Be??

Hmmm this matter dey show us our through Friends oo.

SIG'S...

3 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Sholaco: 3:46pm On Nov 01, 2019
Make them come home
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by vezycash(m): 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2019
edoairways:

Then they are dumb if they used such protest as an excuse for border closure

They are famous for their dumbness.

The amount of goods coming from Ghana is shocking and it's OUR own fault. Atta Mills (God bless his soul a dead Ghanaian president was smart. When Soludo wanted to revalue naira, our local Devils shook the Earth and the matter died. Mills implemented the same thing and their economy changed immediately.

Next, he woed the major consumer companies in Nigeria with ZERO taxes for 15 years, probably free land and 24 hours guaranteed ELECTRICITY! PZ moved, Unilever are two companies I know moved the majority of their operations to Ghana. Some ceased Nigerian operations completely.

I strolled to Unilever in Tema Ghana and that's where I learned that all the blue band we eat here is made in Ghana. Knorr cubes, toothpaste... made there. I doubt they are affected by the border closure.

4 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by wink2015(m): 4:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
Angry members of the Ghana Union of Traders Association (GUTA) on Thursday stormed shops owned by Nigerians in Kumasi, the Ashanti Region capital, and locked them up.

GUTA members have for some time now waged a war on foreigners doing retail business in the country.

They cite Ghanaian laws to justify their action, insisting that they have been left with no choice than to move into the markets and lock the shops up themselves because the law enforcement agencies fail to do their work.

GUTA says foreign retailers flout section 27 of the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre (GIPC) Act 865.

That law stipulates that the sale of goods or provision of services in a market, petty trading or hawking or selling of goods in a stall at any place must be reserved for Ghanaians.

Other activities not permitted for non-citizens include:

-Operation of taxi or car hire service in an enterprise that has a fleet of less than twenty-five vehicles

-Operation of a beauty salon or a barbershop

-Printing of recharge scratch cards for the use of subscribers of telecommunication services

-Production of exercise books and other basic stationery

-Retail of finished pharmaceutical products

-Production and retail of sachet water.

GUTA members say this law is being flouted by foreigners, particularly Nigerians, on grounds that the ECOWAS protocol on free movement of goods and persons across the sub-region allows them to trade and do any kind of business in Ghana.

Luv FM’s Asenso Mensah reports that agitated GUTA members on Thursday morning stormed at least five big markets in the Ashanti Region, forced out the foreign retailers and locked their shops.

Foreign traders in Kejetia, Suame Magazine, Adum and Asafo markets were all yanked out of the shops on Thursday, reports Asenso Mensah.

GUTA Public Relations Officer, Albert Mensah Offei, told Joy News that the locking up of retail shops owned by foreigners will soon be extended to other parts of the country.

The action by GUTA is the second time this year.

Meanwhile, many say the action by GUTA is retaliation for the Nigerian government’s decision to close its land borders indefinitely.

Nigeria says it hopes to cut down on smuggling by closing its borders.

The move has been widely criticised by both regional and international trade associations.

GUTA has been among the fiercest critic of the decision by Nigeria to close its borders.

https://www.myjoyonline.com/business/2019/October-31st/guta-locks-up-shops-owned-by-nigerians-again.php

Igbo people don suffer for Ghanaians hand.

They form the bulk of Nigerians doing business in Ghana.

The Ghanaians want to deal with this Nigerian traders following some of the strategies used by the south african.

FEAR OF STRANGERS DEVELOPING AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE is often the cause.
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
u11ae1013:
Honestly, they have no single reason to protest this border closure because there are 2 countries between nigeria and Ghana
True and like most African countries they are just looking for the smallest opportunities to hate on Nigerians.. it's just the way it is sad
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by jojothaiv(m): 4:12pm On Nov 01, 2019
Silently waiting for Ghanaian punch-liners on Nairaland to dish their hot bars straight from the recording booth...

Hey Mustapha, a bottle of chilled kunu tsamiya will just be fine...
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by pat077: 4:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
I wish someone like trump is our president. They dare not try this shit with us.
Re: Ghanaian Traders Shut Nigerian Shops, Again by cooltola(m): 4:26pm On Nov 01, 2019
The bitter truth is that Nigerians are naturally hardworking and know how to make money when they are outside naija. We do well beta than the locals in their own country because we know how to eliminate wastes, costs , save time and expand the profit margins. It is very hard to scam Nigerians or play tricks. We can smell liars from a kilometer. For Ghanaians, they need to stop hating and starting learning from the Naija traders.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu-How A Copier Salesman Turned Billionaire Banker And Entrepreneur / How To Save Money On Jumia And Konga Black Friday Deals / How Much Can Set Up A Standard Men’s Boutique In Ikeja?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.