Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,911 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Movie: For Colored Girls - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie: For Colored Girls (2939 Views)

EMPIRE: A Movie For Music Lovers, Rappers And Producers. / Half Of A Yellow Sun: Best Nigerian Movie For 2013 / The Best Nollywood Movie For 2009 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movie: For Colored Girls by omega25red(m): 3:10pm On Nov 13, 2010
Did anyone see this movie? i saw it yesterday and it was amazing. That movie is a must see for both women and men. women should take their men most especially nigerian men because it allows you to have a new sympathy for the plight of the black woman.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 5:45am On Nov 14, 2010
i think a movie about black women directed[b] by[/b] a black woman ought to be an option.

why wasnt there a Girlfriends' movie i wonder.

mara akil should be producing movies by now, imo.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by Nobody: 5:47am On Nov 14, 2010
tpia@:

i think a movie about black women directed[b] by[/b] a black woman ought to be an option.

why wasnt there a Girlfriends' movie i wonder.

mara akil should be producing movies by now, imo.
\

So it wasn't made by a black woman?
I support it. . . .only a black woman would fully know what black women go through.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by oyinda3(f): 9:59am On Nov 14, 2010
I want to see the movie but i've been holding back because I want to read the book first. lol
the cast is brilliant and I can't wait to see it!!

@tpia and ileke-idi,
it's produced by tyler perry but based on a book written by a woman -Ntozake Shange.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/11/05/ntozake-shange-enforces-no-madea-rule-on-tyler-perrys-for-colored-girls-adaptation/
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 12:40pm On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

So it wasn't made by a black woman?
I support it. . . .only a black woman would fully know what black women go through.

Good directors like Speilberg have successfully expressed the voices of black women better than even Oprah could.
Why should race and gender take priority over merit and skill??
Don't get me wrong, Tyler Perry is a crappy director . . . but he does know how to do propaganda movies right, and he's prolly the only okay director that can work on this budget and be effective.

Abeg comot for here jare . . . trust the black women to go sentimental on irrelevant things. tongue tongue
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 14, 2010
eldee:

Good directors like Speilberg have successfully expressed the voices of black women better than even Oprah could.
Why should race and gender take priority over merit and skill??
Don't get me wrong, Tyler Perry is a crappy director . . . but he does know how to do propaganda movies right, and he's prolly the only okay director that can work on this budget and be effective.

Abeg comot for here jare . . . trust the black women to go sentimental on irrelevant things. tongue tongue

@ The bolded shocked angry

I'm just saying, unless she/he has done her research, she couldnt possibly know the full length of what a black woman goes true. And yes, it does matter.
Pssst, @ gender. . . . so you're saying that a man can tell us how bad labor pains are? They can assume, but they'll never know.

Trust black men to get sentimental over Black women's sentiments [ grin tongue]

oyinda.:

I want to see the movie but i've been holding back because I want to read the book first. lol
the cast is brilliant and I can't wait to see it!!

@tpia and ileke-idi,
it's produced by tyler perry but based on a book written by a woman -Ntozake Shange.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/11/05/ntozake-shange-enforces-no-madea-rule-on-tyler-perrys-for-colored-girls-adaptation/

Ohhhh okay. Much better, thanks.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 7:33pm On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I'm just saying, unless she/he has done her research, she couldnt possibly know the full length of what a black woman goes true. And yes, it does matter.
Pssst, @ gender. . . . so you're saying that a man can tell us how bad labor pains are? They can assume, but they'll never know.

Yeah . . . Speilberg should have gone back in time to fight in the World War II before he directed Band of Brothers, afterall he's not experienced the pain of being shot by a bullet. grin grin
Infact they should have hired Zack Orji to do Hotel Rwanda because the Irish dude doesn't understand tribal wars. tongue tongue

Trust black women think the whole world is against them. . . every thing is part of the agenda to make black women look bad.
I remember a woman telling me that black women should have special bathroom scales. grin grin
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 14, 2010
eldee:

Yeah . . . Speilberg should have gone back in time to fight in the World War II before he directed Band of Brothers, afterall he's not experienced the pain of being shot by a bullet. grin grin
Infact they should have hired Zack Orji to do Hotel Rwanda because the Irish dude doesn't understand tribal wars. tongue tongue

Trust black women think the whole world is against them. . . every thing is part of the agenda to make black women look bad.
I remember a woman telling me that black women should have special bathroom scales. grin grin

Who said anything about anyone being against anybody?

What's so bad in saying that no one can fully know what one group of people live unless they're part of that group? 

You're drifting off. . . .
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 9:16pm On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Who said anything about anyone being against anybody?

What's so bad in saying that no one can fully know what one group of people live unless they're part of that group? 

You're drifting off. . . .

My point is, you don't need to be part of the group to portray what they go through, you just need to be good. . . hence the reference to Speilberg and other directors.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 14, 2010
eldee:

My point is, you don't need to be part of the group to portray what they go through, you just need to be good. . . hence the reference to Speilberg and other directors.

YOUR opinion is not the validation test for mines.

It's still right to say that one must be of that specified group to know fully well what the people in that group went/is going through.

Now knowing that the movie is based on a book that was written by a black ammerican woman, directed by a black american man, I Am well content and very anxious to watch it.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 10:12pm On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

YOUR opinion is not the validation test for mines.

It's still right to say that one must be of that specified group to know fully well what the people in that group went/is going through.

Now knowing that the movie is based on a book that was written by a black ammerican woman, directed by a black american man, I Am well content and very anxious to watch it.

Nah . . . my intelligence should be the benchmark for not my opinion. . . j/k grin tongue tongue
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by omega25red(m): 10:22pm On Nov 14, 2010
the movie is actually based a a series of poems and i think the movie was well done it will make both men and women think though it sometimes seems like a male bashing movie but nothing negative was said about men and the movie just followed the lives of certain women who had bad relationships. It is by no way a generalization of what black men are.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 10:27pm On Nov 14, 2010
eldee:

yeah whatever.

movies about black women can and should be directed by black women.

thank you.

mara akil is one of the best and has consistently shown she has a better perspective of what it means to be a black woman, than most black males.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 14, 2010
eldee:

Nah . . . my intelligence should be the benchmark for not my opinion. . . j/k grin tongue tongue

Lol.
omega25red:

the movie is actually based a a series of poems and i think the movie was well done it will make both men and women think though it sometimes seems like a male bashing movie but nothing negative was said about men and the movie just followed the lives of certain women who had bad relationships. It is by no way a generalization of what black men are.

Lol
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 10:40pm On Nov 14, 2010
tpia@:

yeah whatever.

movies about black women can and should be directed by black women.

thank you.

mara akil is one of the best and has consistently shown she has a better perspective of what it means to be a black woman, than most black males.

That opinion is based on sentiments, I won't take it serious.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 10:51pm On Nov 14, 2010
^^no need to.

you have your opinion and others are allowed to have theirs.

however, after all is said and done, you're still not a black woman.

and if steven spielberg, a white man, connects better with a black woman's world than black men, then there isnt much to say, really.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 11:32pm On Nov 14, 2010
tpia@:

^^no need to.

you have your opinion and others are allowed to have theirs.

however, after all is said and done, you're still not a black woman.

and if steven spielberg, a white man, connects better with a black woman's world than black men, then there isnt much to say, really.

Your opinion is way too sentimental, it's blind to logic , I said Speilberg and EVERY other good director can portray the black woman right and you interpret it as 'Speilberg the white man understands the black woman but Lee Daniels can't' . . . you see why I said I won't take you serious??

Now a good director will portray war in a way that will trash a frontline soldier will, why?? Because he's that good.
Today's directors will trash a story from the 1800s like they were born then . . .
Lee Daniels didn't need to be a fat black woman to do an Oscar worthy Precious . . .

Now my point is, it's not about black or white, male or female, it's about good or crappy when you talk about movies . . . drop the Alice Walker act and see basic logic.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ohhhh okay. Much better, thanks.

Classic!!!!!! grin
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 12:15am On Nov 15, 2010
eldee:

Your opinion is way too sentimental, it's blind to logic , I said Speilberg and EVERY other good director can portray the black woman right and you interpret it as 'Speilberg the white man understands the black woman but Lee Daniels can't' . . . you see why I said I won't take you serious??

Now a good director will portray war in a way that will trash a frontline soldier will, why?? Because he's that good.
Today's directors will trash a story from the 1800s like they were born then . . .
Lee Daniels didn't need to be a fat black woman to do an Oscar worthy Precious . . .

Now my point is, it's not about black or white, male or female, it's about good or crappy when you talk about movies . . . drop the Alice Walker act and see basic logic.

why exactly do you feel so threatened by the thought of black women directing movies about black women?
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 1:32am On Nov 15, 2010
tpia@:

why exactly do you feel so threatened by the thought of black women directing movies about black women?

This is the 'The world is against us' attitude I was talking about. . . so because I'd rather see Speilberg do another The Colour Purple than watch Oprah try her hands at producing I'm 'threatened'??

Hehehe . . . I'm not threatened by the thought a black women directing movies, I'm just of the opinion that we picking directors for movies based on race and gender is at best petty and racist at it's worst.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 1:38am On Nov 15, 2010
^^ok, in[b] your [/b] opinion, black women have no business directing or producing movies about black women.

In my opinion, there are many capable black women who are more than qualified to produce and direct movies about black women.

now,

explain exactly what your problem is with that, and why you need to drag this matter endlessly as if you think you're at home arguing with and browbeating your girlfriend.

stick to those points as i've raised them in this particular post and quit the jiving and irrational thread derailment.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 1:55am On Nov 15, 2010
tpia@:

^^ok, in[b] your [/b] opinion, black women have no business directing or producing movies about black women.

Blind assumption, I said . . . 'Why should race and gender take priority over merit and skill??' . . . the need for a great director to do important movies trumps the need for your 'strong black woman' B.S.

This statement 'movies about black women can and should be directed by black women' is small minded . . . and I have a problem with any form of racial or gender discrimination.

And I'll ignore your childish comment in the last line, you're famous for statements like that.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 2:03am On Nov 15, 2010
^^this back and forth is pointless.

keep to your views but stop trying to throw a tantrum at the thought of black women directing a movie about the lives of black women.

very unbecoming, petty and churlish of you i must say.

now, if you dont mind, can the thread get back on track.

blah blah blah @ the racial/gender discrimination wolf crying.

you just dont get it and i doubt you ever will.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 2:23am On Nov 15, 2010
tpia@:

^^this back and forth is pointless.

keep to your views but stop trying to throw a tantrum at the thought of black women directing a movie about the lives of black women.

very unbecoming, petty and churlish of you i must say.

now, if you dont mind, can the thread get back on track.

blah blah blah @ the racial/gender discrimination wolf crying.

you just dont get it and i doubt you ever will.

How typical . . . more narrow-minded talk.
'Keep to your views', 'browbeating' and I'm the one being petty??

I guess I'll never get it, I need to got through childbirth to understand your need to choose sentiments over logic.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by steeze(m): 2:39am On Nov 15, 2010
Tpia, i don't get what your problem is. Dude is trying to say that it shouldn't matter if speilberg or a black woman shoots such a movie so long as it comes out good. But your prerogative seems to be that it should've been shot by a black woman and not a 'white man'. A purely sentimental statement. A professional is a professional and i'm sure he'd have made extensive research b4 embarking on such a project. Ur arguement is petty and at worst discriminatory against gender and race, as someone said. U are actually acting out all the stereotypes attributed to the black woman. But then again, whatever floats your boat. . .
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by oyinda3(f): 7:23am On Nov 15, 2010
you guys are both right.

yea it shouldn't matter who directed the movie as long as it turns out "good."
but to me, more black women will connect with the movie when it is directed by a black woman. just that in this case, how many black female directors are there?
But i'm sure tyler perry enlisted the help of black women to direct his movie. And even the author of the poems herself had a say on the direction of the movie. she made it clear to perry that she didn't want the stereotypical "Madea" in her movie. madea is an obnoxious black man dressed up as a black woman and playing a black woman's role. this is characteristic of tyler perry's movies that concern black women and the author of "for colored girls" made it clear to him that she doesn't want that.

the reason perry is directing this movie is most likely because he has the resources.
to me it was more of choice between having a half baked bread or nothing at all.

what we need to do is cultivate black female movie directors.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by goodu: 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2010
A COMPANY IN LAGOS WITH BRANCHES ALL OVER NIGERIA NEED OVER 3000 WORKERS FOR IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT.

TO APPLY YOU HAVE TO BE 18YRS AND ABOVE, QUALIFICATION IS NOT A BARRIER. OR IF YOU KNOW OF ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS, BROTHER WHO NEED JOB TELL HIM OR HER TO SEARCH NO MORE, THERE IS JOB AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE IMPLOYMENT.

INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD CALL : 07033771384, 08052425081
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 2:53pm On Nov 15, 2010
steeze:

Tpia, i don't get what your problem is. Dude is trying to say that it shouldn't matter if speilberg or a black woman shoots such a movie so long as it comes out good. But your prerogative seems to be that it should've been shot by a black woman and not a 'white man'. A purely sentimental statement. A professional is a professional and i'm sure he'd have made extensive research b4 embarking on such a project. your arguement is petty and at worst discriminatory against gender and race, as someone said. U are actually acting out all the stereotypes attributed to the black woman. But then again, whatever floats your boat. . .

Go back and reread my first post.

and while you're at it, you people should stop disgracing nigerian men because these types of archaic views have no place in civilized discussions.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by steeze(m): 4:49pm On Nov 15, 2010
Disgracing nigerian men? How about u stop disgracing nigerian women with all this display of bias and antagonism as against logic and reason. Please stick to topic instead of making those unnecessary statements.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by eldee(m): 5:11pm On Nov 15, 2010
steeze:

Disgracing nigerian men? How about u stop disgracing nigerian women with all this display of bias and antagonism as against logic and reason. Please stick to topic instead of making those unnecessary statements.

Did you see Oyinda's post?? This is not a matter of Nigerian or Black . . . this is a matter of the ability to apply basic logic on things.
So while Oyinda is saying 'what we need to do is cultivate black female movie directors', Ms Farrakhan over here is going 'they're threatened by by black women'.
And now because you said 'A professional is a professional', you've become a disgrace to Nigerian men with archaic views. cheesy cheesy
Tpia's lack of ability to follow logical reasoning is in no way representative of Nigerian women, that I'm sure of.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by tpia5: 5:24pm On Nov 15, 2010
^^both of you need to stop whining and act like men.

end of.

only a f.oolish and effeminate man spends inordinate amounts of time arguing in the manner you're doing here.
Re: Movie: For Colored Girls by steeze(m): 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2010
R-ight. And now it has quickly veered off into being an issue of 'real men' for u. You are just a silly girl.

(1) (2) (Reply)

U Mean No One Likes The Sopranos In Here. / How The Vampire Diaries Should End. / Foreign Films Are Better Than Local Ones By Far. Do You Agree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.