Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,803 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped (44848 Views)

21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) / Building Under Construction Collapses In Aba, Many Trapped (Disturbing Photos) / Building Collapses In Ebute Metta, Lagos. Many Trapped (Photo, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Mailthaddeus(m): 4:46am On Nov 02, 2019
Mood11:
Building with substandard materials. All because of greed.

It might not really be a substandard material but greed.
Most building materials ( cement, iron rods, gravel,etc ) sold in Nigeria meet approved quality standard, but the problem is from contractors who manage these materials to make more gain

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by HomoDroid(m): 5:02am On Nov 02, 2019
Everyone is shouting Greed, Greed, Greed, substandard materials, Substandard materials. Hmnn, my naive eyes is showing me overweight of decking. The decking is simply too thick! check it out. I believe the contractor has 'f'ola je iyo' That decking appears to be almost 12inches thick!
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by fireback: 5:16am On Nov 02, 2019
hisgrace090:

Reducing the prices of cement and iron rod is the solution for now.

The masses are in seriouse need of accommodation as prices of building materials keeps increasing daily.

Its either they build for the masses or reduce the cost of building.
therefore I blame dangote on this one

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Truthbites: 5:22am On Nov 02, 2019
Movicq:
Eyahhhh

Purpose of this meme when a tragedy is what happened here....? I tried to decide, but couldn't
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by OOSmilling(m): 5:30am On Nov 02, 2019
Godyke:

No no no. Blocks doesn't in anyway act as reinforcement to a building, even if they give way the structure under or above it is still expected to stand. Their sole purpose is to act as a fortified partitioning and coverings. The main strength of building especially storey building is the, foundation type and depth, steel reinforcements and the concrete casting.
bros u nail it dat is d correct answer, block is just for partitioning, u must be an ACHITECT, Civil Eng, quantitysurveyor or Builder. to know ppl wey get experience no dey hard. dat is why u can easily select d best applicant during an interview. many ppl just dey assume.

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by zedman1(m): 5:31am On Nov 02, 2019
MobilityExpress:
The frequent building collapses in Lagos is because the building blocks industry is unregulated. Every Tom Dick and Harry is making blocks however they want, nobody is regulating or monitoring what they mix and in what proportion they mix to mould blocks, which are being sold to builders. Some of these block makers cut costs or use wrong cement or contaminated sand (too many impurities that reduce quality of adhesion) or mould substandard blocks and that's why you're having building collapses all over. The LASG should as a matter of urgency implement regulations and monitoring to all block moulders, so as to have uniformity of quality. Many building blocks being sold today are substandard. Under 2 months, you can already see cracks in the surfaces of buildings. That's why building collapses are now frequent.
The main structural elements of buildings are columns and beams. How many bungalows have you seen collapse even though it's the same 'sub standard blocks' that are being used to build them? The problem of building collapse is most times as a result of improper reinforcement of beams or columns, poor concrete mix, inadequate foundation base or poor designs by the engineer which the contractor/ builder fully relies on and not making proper checks, thinking the design is perfect. Almost all the time the problem is not blocks bro.

3 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by OOSmilling(m): 5:40am On Nov 02, 2019
doctorgold:

Your emphasis on blocks as major cause of collapse is indeed interesting, laughable, suspicious but overall.. not true. Be informed that blocks dont usually serve as structural members especially in multi storey buildings. They, most times serve as partition members. Which explains why there are different sizes of blocks. It also explains why we have buildings whose fabric are made of glass and other materials. Blocks pay very minute role in structural stability.
Issues such as substandard materials especially reinforcement rods, poor concrete mix ratios, poor supervision, wrong structural calculations, overloading are culprits in building collapses.
It is therefore important to state that our monitoring agencies need to do more in terms of ensuring quality rather than their usual attitude of collecting bribes and turning blind eyes to poor construction processes.
CORRECT, too much experience sir, pls, wot is d maximum lenght of a cantiler for a story building?

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by OOSmilling(m): 5:44am On Nov 02, 2019
zedman1:
The main structural elements of buildings are columns and beams. How many bungalows have you seen collapse even though it's the same 'sub standard blocks' that are being used to build them? The problem of building collapse is most times as a result of improper reinforcement of beams or columns, poor concrete mix, inadequate foundation base or poor designs by the engineer which the contractor/ builder fully relies on and not making proper checks, thinking the design is perfect. Almost all the time the problem is not blocks bro.
GOOD ONE. Experience man

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by zedman1(m): 5:51am On Nov 02, 2019
HomoDroid:
Everyone is shouting Greed, Greed, Greed, substandard materials, Substandard materials. Hmnn, my naive eyes is showing me overweight of decking. The decking is simply too thick! check it out. I believe the contractor has 'f'ola je iyo' That decking appears to be almost 12inches thick!
No bro, what you're seeing there isn't the slab or 'decking' as you put it. Its the beam. The slab is way less thick, if you were allowed to look under you'll discover a hollow, that's the soffit of the slab and from what I'm seeing its just about the normal 6 inch.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Stallion44: 6:11am On Nov 02, 2019
Lagosfinder:
Lagos government need to act fast on this before Lagos is associated with building collapse
Like seriously
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Horus(m): 6:20am On Nov 02, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOiy8WUjmCY

Two storey building collapses in Lagos
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by don4real18(m): 6:24am On Nov 02, 2019
That's why when some clients say that they want me to bring my construction quotes down, I just laugh. They begin to say how Engineer Lagbaja and Engr Ojukwu can build it extremely cheap. Well, I always tell them to give it to them as I cannot compromise building standards because of money. Safety is always paramount

3 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by seguno2: 6:26am On Nov 02, 2019
doctorgold:

Your emphasis on blocks as major cause of collapse is indeed interesting, laughable, suspicious but overall.. not true. Be informed that blocks dont usually serve as structural members especially in multi storey buildings. They, most times serve as partition members. Which explains why there are different sizes of blocks. It also explains why we have buildings whose fabric are made of glass and other materials. Blocks pay very minute role in structural stability.
Issues such as substandard materials especially reinforcement rods, poor concrete mix ratios, poor supervision, wrong structural calculations, overloading are culprits in building collapses.
It is therefore important to state that our monitoring agencies need to do more in terms of ensuring quality rather than their usual attitude of collecting bribes and turning blind eyes to poor construction processes.

Too much religious sentiments prevent people from thinking and working to engage with their public servants who are in charge of the monitoring agencies.
What stops us from seeing the bigger picture?

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by bonnyhope: 6:35am On Nov 02, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
pdp nearly destroyed this country through out their 16 years of corruption.
we nigerians are saying "Never again"
Is like you have just taken weed?
How is this related to the trending news

3 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by LOGOBELT: 6:40am On Nov 02, 2019
Oh my God! What exactly is the cause of this? Building always collapsing, claiming lives cry

Meanwhile, is your Laptop faulty? Let's fix it for you. Do you need Laptop Chargers/Adapter or Cables? We sell. Check my signature for contact
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Truthbites: 6:45am On Nov 02, 2019
bonnyhope:

Is like you have just taken weed?
How is this related to the trending news

His moniker says empty coconut head..and you had to answer him? He probably is obsessed with PDP and didn't read the content and rushed to paste...my anger is, we are talking of loss of lives here

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by SIRKAY98(m): 7:15am On Nov 02, 2019
MobilityExpress:
The frequent building collapses in Lagos is because the building blocks industry is unregulated. Every Tom Dick and Harry is making blocks however they want, nobody is regulating or monitoring what they mix and in what proportion they mix to mould blocks, which are being sold to builders. Some of these block makers cut costs or use wrong cement or contaminated sand (too many impurities that reduce quality of adhesion) or mould substandard blocks and that's why you're having building collapses all over. The LASG should as a matter of urgency implement regulations and monitoring to all block moulders, so as to have uniformity of quality. Many building blocks being sold today are substandard. Under 2 months, you can already see cracks in the surfaces of buildings. That's why building collapses are now frequent.
You are right sir,but i also noted that the Ion rod used for d deck cannot be seen.i think there was not enough pillar too on the first floor according d image
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by iamademola(m): 7:23am On Nov 02, 2019
noble71:
angry Some of these Mason's are heartless how can you introduce a cantilever of more than 2 meters with out proper reinforcement.
So your saying its Mason that design building structures now ??

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Igholize(m): 7:27am On Nov 02, 2019
noble71:
angry Some of these Mason's are heartless how can you introduce a cantilever of more than 2 meters with out proper reinforcement.
.... Nice observation my bro, immediately i zoomed d photo of the collapse structure, that's the first wrong design / construction i sighted. A cantilever projected slab of about 2.5m with tinny cantilever beam of 225mm to transmit a load of a cantilever slab of 2.5m! chai!!!, God have mercy, if you look closer, u wil see dat, one of the cantilever beams is not resting on a column but on the block wall... The masons in here are not to be blamed bcox, they are being told what to do in site and only following instructions from the structural engineers. The cause of the collapse is as a result of wrong design concepts nd inexperienced or unqualified structural engineers errecting the structure.

3 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by abdulwastecx(m): 7:37am On Nov 02, 2019
InvertedHammer:
/
It might not necessarily be substandard materials.
Concrete has a curing time of at least 2 weeks. Lagos hasn't had recorded sunshine for months now. Yet they will start piling up loads on the decking. The result will be the collapse under pressure.

There is a huge difference between construction during dry and rainy season.

/

Must you guys comment?

Concrete gain more strength during wet season through a phenomenon known as curing ( especially wet curing ). When you placed a concrete you keep on providing moisture at the surface of the concrete for 28days, during this period the concrete gain strength by a process known as hydration.

When you build during dry season, you will have to provide this moisture in the form of regular wetting of the slab constantly 24hours for 28days to get the desired result.

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Originalsly: 7:44am On Nov 02, 2019
Hmmm.... building under construction and collapses. The City is to be blamed. .... questions asked.... persons held responsible... if any fatalities.... held criminally responsible. Who approved the building plan? Who inspected and signed off on the construction? Who was visiting the site and approving there were no violations?Who verified the materials used met the required standard? If the building is an illegal structure.... why didn't the city halt construction..... have the owner prosecuted and the building demolished?

Putting the cart before the horse.... setting up and beefing up Emergency Response but not looking to prevent such emergencies.

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by v2: 7:47am On Nov 02, 2019
At first glance i will say it is a design issue.
Looking at the photo, the second floor does not have sufficient pillars considering that it is a multi-storey building. Possibly it's same for every part of the building.
The architect might design something, contractor or client will decide something else to cut cost.
The span between pillars is important.
The cantilever extension is also much considering the poor structural support.

What do I know?
My opinion though.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Ayomarcel(m): 7:56am On Nov 02, 2019
Something needs to be done in this Lagos, with buildings collapsing I think their govt should create a committee to go thru the houses.. Cos no agency seems to be doing Anything..
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by abdulwastecx(m): 7:56am On Nov 02, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Building blocks doesn't play a part here because when you are building more than a bungalow you are expected to build a frame structure. Frame in the sense that the blocks don't carry any structural loads but serve as partitions just to divide the space into rooms and functionality.

In a frame structure, the sequence of load distribution follows this pattern, from roof and floor slabs to the beams, from beams to the columns (pillars) and from upper floor columns to the one below, to the foundation footings and finally to the soil beneath the foundation.

The so called sancrete blocks only add to the dead load of the structures and in some cases a lighter partition like wood, polystyrene is used for the internal walls rather than sancrete blocks.

Building fail in Nigeria due poor structural designs, quality control ( site supervision, proper batching of concrete, proper placement, proper use of construction materials etc) and also due to lack or corrupt quality control agencies.

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mysteryman2014: 8:14am On Nov 02, 2019
hisgrace090:

Reducing the prices of cement and iron rod is the solution for now.

The masses are in seriouse need of accommodation as prices of building materials keeps increasing daily.

Its either they build for the masses or reduce the cost of building.

Houses for masses in highbrow ikoyi. Masses indeed. It is all evidence of the rot in the Nigerian system where nothing works. Mschew.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by babestella: 8:18am On Nov 02, 2019
A job that needs 20 bags of cement, engineer will say it's 30 bags, he collects the money for 30 bags, go back and buy 12 bags of cement to do the job. Result: few months after, the building comes down. They do the same with Iron rods. Ask for money to buy half inch rods, they go buy three quarter rod to work with.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by gwama: 8:23am On Nov 02, 2019
Maj196:
Naija na so so bad news full everywhere
Devil lead this country cool
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mysteryman2014: 8:24am On Nov 02, 2019
noble71:

Mason u said! You the building of two storey building not a bungalow is left at the discretion of a Mason, I dont get it.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mysteryman2014: 8:28am On Nov 02, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Building blocks are not reason for building collapse. The pillars, foundation, decking are more responsible. These are the structures that carry the load.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mysteryman2014: 8:31am On Nov 02, 2019
Godyke:
I totally disagree with the theory that this building collapsed as result of substandard materials. Builders and owners of buildings in Ikoyi cannot stoop so low, they are big boys. That building may have collapsed due to structural defect as result of impossible design. Part of the building decking may have been designed without pillar. I am judging from the angle from which I am seeing the picture.

Was the building plan approved? Who approved it? The approving authorities should have noticed that and withhold approval.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by lorhema(f): 8:35am On Nov 02, 2019
tonididdy:

little mistakes... engineer is prolly on the run now.

Little mistakes? I don't think so. I'm looking out at a construction site right now.

The foundation slab was completed on Saturday. On Monday, yes Monday, the setting of blocks began. Right now, the iron-bender is at work on the lintels.

Wondering what happened to the rule about leaving slabs to cure for 28 days.
I'm waiting to see how long the decking of the top floors will be allowed to cure.

Sometimes, I feel these incidents occur because the rules for construction are not obeyed even though standard materials are utilized.

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mexxyaaron(m): 8:36am On Nov 02, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Not entirely true,blocks are not necessarily load bearer.columns are mainly. The main causes of building collapse is maybe one of theses, wrong design and substandard concrete mix or steel reinforcement or all of them. Another cause is the client themselves who are looking for quacks just to cut cost and make a kill in profit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Face Me I Face You" Experience / List Of Estate Owned By Lagos State Government| Co-tenant / How Many Block To Fence 2 Plot Of Land (120 X 100)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.