Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped (44845 Views)

21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) / Building Under Construction Collapses In Aba, Many Trapped (Disturbing Photos) / Building Collapses In Ebute Metta, Lagos. Many Trapped (Photo, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mexxyaaron(m): 8:42am On Nov 02, 2019
babestella:
A job that needs 20 bags of cement, engineer will say it's 30 bags, he collects the money for 30 bags, go back and buy 12 bags of cement to do the job. Result: few months after, the building comes down. They do the same with Iron rods. Ask for money to buy half inch rods, they go buy three quarter rod to work with.

Very true,that's why he needs to get decent well groom engineers,engage a Q's too to give him the true cost. Also pay them for their services,most times these clients do not want to pay these professionals their agreed fees or he is looking at engaging not so good one who he will pay a peanut and you expect quality service from them?
What you pay,is what you get.
You pay for quack,you get a quack output.

I am speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mexxyaaron(m): 8:43am On Nov 02, 2019
abdulwastecx:

Building blocks doesn't play a part here because when you are building more than a bungalow you are expected to build a frame structure. Frame in the sense that the blocks don't carry any structural loads but serve as partitions just to divide the space into rooms and functionality.

In a frame structure, the sequence of load distribution follows this pattern, from roof and floor slabs to the beams, from beams to the columns (pillars) and from upper floor columns to the one below, to the foundation footings and finally to the soil beneath the foundation.

The so called sancrete blocks only add to the dead load of the structures and in some cases a lighter partition like wood, polystyrene is used for the internal walls rather than sancrete blocks.

Building fail in Nigeria due poor structural designs, quality control ( site supervision, proper batching of concrete, proper placement, proper use of construction materials etc) and also due to lack or corrupt quality control agencies.

Very correct.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by noble71(m): 8:47am On Nov 02, 2019
iamademola:

So your saying its Mason that design building structures now ??
Most clients don't pay for the service of a structural engineer. They use to say it's expensive. so most of them use Mason's.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by tonididdy(m): 8:57am On Nov 02, 2019
lorhema:

Little mistakes? I don't think so. I'm looking out at a construction site right now.

The foundation slab was completed on Saturday. On Monday, yes Monday, the setting of blocks began. Right now, the iron-bender is at work on the lintels.

Wondering what happened to the rule about leaving slabs to cure for 28 days.
I'm waiting to see how long the decking of the top floors will be allowed to cure.

Sometimes, I feel these incidents occur because the rules for construction are not obeyed even though standard materials are utilized.

very true

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by Godyke(m): 9:24am On Nov 02, 2019
anonimi:

So the architect, engineer, contractor and owner should all be prosecuted and jailed for manslaughter?

Yes everyone involved in the design and approval should be held responsible. Civil engineering like any other engineering calculations and applications is not law where there is always a clause. One plus one remains two.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by lasthero: 11:29am On Nov 02, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
pdp nearly destroyed this country through out their 16 years of corruption.
we nigerians are saying "Never again"

And how does that relate to the topic

Modified!!!
I just checked your username and realised I wasted my time replying you

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by mechanics(m): 11:38am On Nov 02, 2019
And disposing of those items won't be that easy o.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by InvertedHammer: 2:49pm On Nov 02, 2019
abdulwastecx:

Must you guys comment?

Concrete gain more strength during wet season through a phenomenon known as curing ( especially wet curing ). When you placed a concrete you keep on providing moisture at the surface of the concrete for 28days, during this period the concrete gain strength by a process known as hydration.

When you build during dry season, you will have to provide this moisture in the form of regular wetting of the slab constantly 24hours for 28days to get the desired result.
/
What is this goat bleating about?

Alright Einstein.

Argue with yourself.
/
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by InvertedHammer: 3:51pm On Nov 02, 2019
babestella:
A job that needs 20 bags of cement, engineer will say it's 30 bags, he collects the money for 30 bags, go back and buy 12 bags of cement to do the job. Result: few months after, the building comes down. They do the same with Iron rods. Ask for money to buy half inch rods, they go buy three quarter rod to work with.
/
You do understand that 3/4 is bigger than 1/2 inch.

Right?

The engineer must be a saint.

In construction, TRUST but VERIFY. There are too many textbook builders in Nigeria. They sound intelligent until you give them a job.
/

1 Like

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by InvertedHammer: 3:58pm On Nov 02, 2019
lorhema:

Little mistakes? I don't think so. I'm looking out at a construction site right now.

The foundation slab was completed on Saturday. On Monday, yes Monday, the setting of blocks began. Right now, the iron-bender is at work on the lintels.

Wondering what happened to the rule about leaving slabs to cure for 28 days.
I'm waiting to see how long the decking of the top floors will be allowed to cure.

Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by SHOCK7(m): 1:56am On Nov 03, 2019
Lagosfinder:
Lagos government need to act fast on this before Lagos is associated with building collapse
it is already is!!
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by doctorgold(m): 1:46am On Nov 05, 2019
OOSmilling:
CORRECT, too much experience sir, pls, wot is d maximum lenght of a cantiler for a story building?

It's a tricky one.
Technology is upon us and its limitless.
I remember being told by lecturers that your cantilevers shouldn't span more than 0.6m. I got into the real world and discovered it's a hoax. If you can dream it, then you can achieve it.
In Lagos, I have seen buildings with more than 3m cantilevers.
I have worked on a design that had a part of it cantilevered up to 4.5m. I also worked with the structural engineer to ensure its workability. Design is a world of endless imaginations.
Re: Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Many Trapped by abdulwastecx(m): 9:44am On Nov 06, 2019
InvertedHammer:

/
What is this goat bleating about?

Alright Einstein.

Argue with yourself.
/

You are too stupid and arrogant to deserve a respond

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Face Me I Face You" Experience / List Of Estate Owned By Lagos State Government| Co-tenant / How Many Block To Fence 2 Plot Of Land (120 X 100)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.