Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,522 members, 7,861,512 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:31 PM

2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It (1767 Views)

Picture: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Congratulates Muhammadu Buhari - The Sun. / President Goodluck's Administration 2011-2015 Positive Change Report in Pics / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by Ovularia: 10:35pm On Nov 13, 2010
2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo missed it
By Femi Adesina (kulikulii@yahoo.com, 08055001928)
Friday, November 12, 2010

Let me today venture where even angels fear to tread. Not being Igbo, let me poke my nose into the affairs of the Igbo nation, and of its apex socio-cultural organisation, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo. Let me add my voice to the growing babel, because it is indeed a national issue, and not strictly regional, so it deserves rigorous interrogation and appraisal from different permutations.

The Ambassador Raph Uwechue-led Ohanaeze Ndigbo has endorsed the ambition of incumbent president, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, to have another four-year term from May next year, after the general elections in April. According to widely circulated advertorials last month by the group’s leadership, “Ohanaeze Ndigbo firmly believes in the reality and absolute equality of the six zones and holds the view that the topmost executive office in the land… should now go to them in turn in unbroken succession as a matter of national priority, before any other zone can justly claim the right to a second or even third term… Ohanaeze Ndigbo confidently urges the Igbo nation to support en masse a credible new generation presidential candidate that has emerged from the South-South geo-political zone, Dr Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan.”

Naturally, a lot of storm was generated by the above position. Some antagonists, even within the Igbo nation, went downright rude, calling Uwechue unprintable names. Others said the organisation received a bribe of N250 million before the endorsement came. Some others even said it was Uwechue’s unilateral decision, not concurred to by the Imeobi, which is Ohanaeze’s highest decision-making organ. Well, the inner caucus has since then met, and approved the position earlier espoused by Uwechue.
Like any other socio-cultural organisation, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo has the right to take a position that it feels is in the best interest of its people. If the truth be told, the Igbo nation has been given the short end of the stick in the Nigerian federation. For too long, they’ve been marginalised, circumscribed, treated as second-class citizens. This is unconscionable. But in endorsing Goodluck Jonathan for 2011 presidency, based on the conviction that he will then support an Igbo to emerge president in 2015, I think the Ohanaeze is presumptuous, and too conjectural. How and why?

The apex Igbo group rationalised its support for Jonathan through Uwachue this way: “It is like two pilots flying a plane, if one dies, the other one takes over from him, so, we are saying that since Jonathan is there now, he should continue until 2015, and then an Igbo man will take over. Having been sworn in twice in line with the constitution, Jonathan cannot run again in 2015.” With due respect to Ohanaeze leadership (they are men of intellect and proven integrity), this is rather simplistic. How can they base their support on the supposition that Jonathan is precluded from running in 2015, because he would then have been inaugurated twice as president? Has that been determined by a relevant court of law? Is it not mere surmising, hypothesis and speculation not grounded on law? Neither Jonathan nor his camp has promised to run for one term. If he gets it in 2011, and as 2015 approaches, they simply approach the courts to determine whether the inauguration to complete Umaru Yar’Adua’s term amounts to his being ineligible to be sworn in for two fresh terms? The ruling can go either way, and where would that leave the Igbo nation, already warming up for 2015 based on a flimsy, will-o-the-wisp agreement?

And talking of agreement, who says Jonathan can keep any, particularly one that is not even documented? He was signatory to the zoning formula of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), now he says zoning never existed as far as the office of president was concerned. Can you then trust such person to keep any agreement, particularly if unwritten? He reneged on a documented one, which he duly signed, how much more one hanging in the air? Great will be the consternation of the Igbo nation when Jonathan sings another tune in 2015. And a nation of intellectual powerhouses like the Igbos will have been fooled, robbed blind, and ridiculed. What a pity it would be.

Hear Uwechue again on the 2015 race: “The support we have given to the South-South because of its push to produce the president, we want to believe it will be replicated in 2015 when it will be the turn of an Igbo man to rule this country.” Funny. Turn of an Igbo man to rule the country? When the Igbo would have assisted somebody else to torpedo the turn-by-turn arrangement that can guarantee equity, fairness and justice in the country? There will be no ‘turn’ again. It would be every man for himself, and God for us all. By running in 2011, Goodluck Jonathan has abrogated the turn-by-turn arrangement. Every zone and region would then just need to hold its destinies in its hands. Any zone or region that gets power now can hold it for as long as it can, till it can be taken away through the ballot box.

There can’t be any talk of ‘turn’ again, because what should have been the ‘turn’ of the North is about being taken away. That is the implication of the Jonathan 2011 adventure, with all the advantages granted by incumbency. Again, how can Ohanaeze hinge its entire plan and strategy on a man who’s still simply an aspirant? The advertorial from the group says the Igbo nation should “support en masse a credible… presidential candidate that has emerged from South-South geo-political zone.” It is malapropism. Goof. Gaffe. Faux pas. Jonathan is simply an aspirant, not a candidate yet. And just in case he does not become a candidate, if he does not win the PDP primaries, where does that leave the Igbo nation? Will Ohanaeze then endorse another candidate? Why then not wait till the candidates emerge before an endorsement is made? I’m afraid the Ohanaeze has positioned the entire Igbo nation for a mighty embarrassment, discomfiture and distress, if Jonathan fails to clinch his party’s ticket (which is a possibility). I didn’t expect such hasty endorsement from the honourable men that lead the Igbo nation.

Ohanaeze says the presidency, “which has eluded the South-South and South-East since the birth of our nation half century ago, should now go to them in turn in unbroken succession as a matter of national priority…” Really? Quite funny. So what happens to the other parts of the country? Watch the overhead bridges in Lagos? Then Emperor Nero has risen from the dead. He fiddled while Rome burnt.

With the entry of Jonathan into the presidential race, the scenario now is that any region or zone can aspire for the presidency, even now. The Igbo nation needn’t wait till 2015. It is now survival of the fittest, the brightest and the best. To think Jonathan would quench his overpowering appetite for power just after four years, or help them attain the presidency in 2015, is like building castles in the air. If that is the entire strategy Ohanaeze banks on, then, (with due respect again), the leadership of the Igbo nation is simply living in a fool’s paradise.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/columnists/femi/2010/femi-nov-12-2010.htm

Previous articles by Femi Adesina can be found here - worth reading: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/columnists/femi/home.htm
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by chyz(m): 10:40pm On Nov 13, 2010
I stop reading after the guy said, "Not being Igbo, let me poke my nose into the affairs of the Igbo nation". cool
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 10:57pm On Nov 13, 2010
that was quite a good article!!! smiley smiley smiley

i wonder what the igbo population thinks about this undecided undecided
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by AndreUweh(m): 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2010
Am happy Mr Adesina said that Ime Obi supported what Uwaechue had said earlier on. The Ohanaeze under Uwaechue were not on their own when they made the endorsement. Igbo organisations onshore and offshore were consulted and they all agreed to support GEJ. Also, student groups, religious bodies market associations, Ndi eze etc all gave their support for GEJ.
What Ohanaeze expressed was the wish of over 45 million Ndigbo worldwide.
The writer feels Ohanaeze is solely a cultural organisation but that is not so. Ohanaeze wades into the totality of Igbo aspect of life including politics. Even as Igbo union, Ohanaeze played a key role in the emergence of D. Osadebe as the Mid west Governor as well as in the affairs of the then NCNC. What I mean here is that Ohanaeze is right to wade in into this impasse Ndigbo finds themselves now.
Right now, The Ohanaeze UK chapter is a showdown with the NHS in Brighton over the death of a young Nigerian medical surgeon of Igbo extraction. So who believes that Ohanaeze is just cultural?.
Ohanaeze has decided for Ndigbo so be it. If we fail, we all fail together. No shaken, on Ohanaeze endorsement the Igbo nation stands.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 11:34pm On Nov 13, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Am happy Mr Adesina said that Ime Obi supported what Uwaechue had said earlier on. The Ohanaeze under Uwaechue were not on their own when they made the endorsement. Igbo organisations onshore and offshore were consulted and they all agreed to support GEJ. Also, student groups, religious bodies market associations, Ndi eze etc all gave their support for GEJ.
What Ohanaeze expressed was the wish of over 45 million Ndigbo worldwide.
The writer feels Ohanaeze is solely a cultural organisation but that is not so. Ohanaeze wades into the totality of Igbo aspect of life including politics. Even as Igbo union, Ohanaeze played a key role in the emergence of D. Osadebe as the Mid west Governor as well as in the affairs of the then NCNC. What I mean here is that Ohanaeze is right to wade in into this impasse Ndigbo finds themselves now.
Right now, The Ohanaeze UK chapter is a showdown with the NHS in Brighton over the death of a young Nigerian medical surgeon of Igbo extraction. So who believes that Ohanaeze is just cultural?.
Ohanaeze has decided for Ndigbo so be it. If we fail, we all fail together. No shaken, on Ohanaeze endorsement the Igbo nation stands.

This a real and dangerous gamble. although, i like the bolded part. May your decision be right.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by AndreUweh(m): 12:21am On Nov 14, 2010
jason12345:

This a real and dangerous gamble. although, i like the bolded part. May your decision be right.
This is an endorsement made in heaven.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 12:22am On Nov 14, 2010
Andre Uweh:

This is an endorsement made in heaven.

i hope so! undecided
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by aljharem(m): 12:23am On Nov 14, 2010
hmmm, this is a great article

seriously, i pray this election turns out well for all geo-political zone

igbos i pray 2015 they would produce a credible candidate.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by Abagworo(m): 12:33am On Nov 14, 2010
This article is simple and clearly indicates the lapses in hurried endorsement before election proper.It is always good to wait till due time before making a final choice.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:35am On Nov 14, 2010
alj harem:

hmmm, this is a great article

seriously, i pray this election turns out well for all geo-political zone

igbos i pray 2015 they would produce a credible candidate.
for that matter they will produce ojukwu as theire best candidate coming 2015, u know the guy is a hero.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by aljharem(m): 12:36am On Nov 14, 2010
Abagworo:

This article is simple and clearly indicates the lapses in hurried endorsement before election proper.It is always good to wait till due time before making a final choice.

perfect answer, igbos must be careful especially the ones in the north and east
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 12:37am On Nov 14, 2010
Abagworo:

thats exactly my fear!!! may God help them make the right decision for their people.

Abu-Maryam:

for that matter they will produce ojukwu as theire best candidate coming 2015, u know the guy is a hero.

i am sure they would not produce ojukwu!!!
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by aljharem(m): 12:37am On Nov 14, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

lol, we all know they cannot produce ojukwu as there candidate, because he was a warlord or more or less a regional leader
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:38am On Nov 14, 2010
Abagworo:

Tell it to the wise.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by aljharem(m): 12:38am On Nov 14, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

Tell it to the wise.
hmmmmmm, words
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by chyz(m): 12:40am On Nov 14, 2010
Whether they endorsed him or not, it still wouldn't have change the contestants in the presidential election anyways. IBB, ATIKU, GASUA, should they have waited to endorse them?
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:42am On Nov 14, 2010
alj harem:

lol, we all know they cannot produce ojukwu as there candidate, because he was a warlord or more or less a regional leader
Dont bet it, they will never have a consensus candidate. Ojukwu is the only tested and trusted of ohanaeze coming 2015.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by chyz(m): 12:43am On Nov 14, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

Dont bet it, they will never have a consensus candidate. Ojukwu is the only tested and trusted of ohanaeze coming 2015.

Proof?
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 12:46am On Nov 14, 2010
chyz:

Whether they endorsed him or not, it still wouldn't have change the contestants in the presidential election anyways. IBB, ATIKU, GASUA, should they have waited to endorse them?

they have not done the primaries yet. moreover, pdp is not the only party ohaneze could have supported, supporting GJ has ruined the chance of an igbo president 2015. incase you have not read the article, i think you should read it.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by excanny: 12:47am On Nov 14, 2010
This is a reader's comment, and not a journalist's. The logic is quite poor. I dont get this guy. Anyway, he's free to express his own.

But he raised a point about Uwechue's comments on power rotation from SS to SE. All i can say is that Uwechue speaks for himself in that regard.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by abadaba(m): 12:50am On Nov 14, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

Monkey, it seems you have eating so much peanuts today. If not, why can't you allow Ojukwu to have some rest?.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by chyz(m): 12:50am On Nov 14, 2010
jason12345:

they have not done the primaries yet. moreover, pdp is not the only party ohaneze could have supported, supporting GJ has ruined the chance of an igbo president 2015. incase you have not read the article, i think you should read it.

Even if he loses the primaries, other political groups have already adopted him as a candidate. The endorsement of GEJ doesn't stop at PDP. And also at the bold, How so?
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:51am On Nov 14, 2010
chyz:

Proof?
they lack amenable between themself. everybody feel he is superior to the other.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by aljharem(m): 12:53am On Nov 14, 2010
abadaba:

Monkey, it seems you have eating so much peanuts today. If not, why can't you allow Ojukwu to have some rest?.

why do u have to call him a monkey!!!!!!! angry

people are having a good argument here undecided
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by aljharem(m): 12:55am On Nov 14, 2010
i think the reason ohaneze supporte jonathan is to build trust with the ijaw community undecided
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 12:56am On Nov 14, 2010
abadaba:

why, oh why, do you have to insult to get your point across!? angry

chyz:

Even if he loses the primaries, other political groups have already adopted him as a candidate. The endorsement of GEJ doesn't stop at PDP. And also at the bold, How so?

by 2015, i can tell you that the rest of the country would view GJ as a representative of both the ss and se.

also, if the endorsement of GJ does not stop at pdp, it has to stop at ACN because the rest of the country is to naive to vote for a president outside those two parties. that is the reality
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by abadaba(m): 12:56am On Nov 14, 2010
alj harem:

why do u have to call him a monkey!!!!!!! angry

people are having a good argument here undecided
Insulting Ojukwu or involving him here does not help his case. He should just leave Ojukwu alone.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by chyz(m): 12:56am On Nov 14, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

they lack amenable between themself. everybody feel he is superior to the other.

No, im not asking u that im asking you to provide a link to the statement you claimed Ohanaeze believes "Ojukwu is the only tested and trusted of ohanaeze coming 2015."
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:57am On Nov 14, 2010
chyz:

I doubt it,  By the way things are going other political parties are preparing for northern candidates, if u get it right zoning is real. Jonathan is just like a man with big hammer in his hand, any mistake is like a nail. so he need to be dealt with in a style.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 12:58am On Nov 14, 2010
jason12345:

why, oh why, do you have to insult to get your point across!? angry

by 2015, i can tell you that the rest of the country would view GJ as a representative of both the ss and se.

also, if the endorsement of GJ does not stop at pdp, it has to stop at ACN because the rest of the country is to naive to vote for a president outside those two parties. that is the reality

@ bolded

unless he can be very fair to both the north and the south, which is almost impossible.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by chyz(m): 1:00am On Nov 14, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

[/b]
I doubt it,  By the way things are going other political parties are preparing for northern candidates, if u get it right zoning is real. Jonathan is just like a man with big hammer in his hand, any mistake is like a nail. so he need to be dealt with in a style.

there are over 50 political parties so i doubt that.
Re: 2011 & 2015: Where Ohanaeze Ndigbo Missed It by jason12345: 1:00am On Nov 14, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

[/b]

thats also very right and it further cements my point. he really needs to be careful.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Ministerial List / Can God Bless A Nation Whose Leaders Drink Blood Like Water? / BREAKING NEWS: Heavy Bomb Blast Rocks The City Of Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.