Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,947 members, 7,835,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed (19052 Views)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: 'Gernot Rohr Is The Worst Coach In Nigeria History' / Sierra Leone: We Would Pity Super Eagles By Allowing Them Score One Goal / Ronaldo on 700th goal: I don't go looking for records, they are looking for me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Asapkiller(m): 10:28pm On Nov 02, 2019
b4 nko...e be like he dey crazy afta causing much pains for pple den
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 02, 2019
Freemanbobble:
That goal when yakubu miss ehnnn
My grand Mama go score that goal

Anyway Edo state dey try for forward/ strikers/ top nine

Edo state dey always supply super eagles with strikers and better top 9

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua

I swear Edo state dey ball. Them dey ball for Edo state
for jigawa nko?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
Let me even check the goal he messed again
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by SmartyPants(m): 10:36pm On Nov 02, 2019
Freemanbobble:

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua
Even Ahmed Musa mother is from Edo state

I thought I was the only one that noticed it.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by mechanics(m): 10:38pm On Nov 02, 2019
Why is he saying that, because I can't even remember he even missed a goal.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by SmartyPants(m): 10:38pm On Nov 02, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
Of course he would be the only African player to score a champions league hat trick on his debut at age 19 for Maccabi Haffia against Olympiacos. What kind of narrow spectrum is that? :/

The bolded is the stat sir.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 02, 2019
It runs in their blood over here.

Even people that have never touched ball before talkmore of playing will still open mouth to yawn.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Sirmuel1(m): 10:48pm On Nov 02, 2019
Freemanbobble:

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua
Baldwin Bazuaye

If i even say make i start to dey mention defenders from Edo state ehhhnnn. Make i just rest

I'm also a very good Player from Edo state. I've attended so many trials for NFA, but them no gree pick me.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by bikefab(m): 10:49pm On Nov 02, 2019
Yes boss...i am yet to forgive you for missing that goal.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Drosonogasta(m): 10:53pm On Nov 02, 2019
Obob! Lars Lagerback later describe Aiyegbeni's miss as the worst he had ever seen as a coach.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by SmartyPants(m): 10:55pm On Nov 02, 2019
Sonfethopia:

Yakubu is Edo I to hes.youuba

Nope. There are lots of Edos/Warri people with Yoruba sounding names. Akpeyi is another example.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Fragility6: 10:59pm On Nov 02, 2019
ZombieTERROR:
How else can Yakubu be remembered?

On the grandest stage of them all.. You yakubued the ball
Lol...guy u mad gan
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by tck2000(m): 11:01pm On Nov 02, 2019
chimhigher:
Any time I see that Replay I go still shout, all those Koreans suppose hold yakubu leg and hand, commot im knicker, cut small Net from post use give am like 11 for yansh make the net mark show for im yansh cry
lol
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Enemyofpeace: 11:02pm On Nov 02, 2019
Before nko?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Kennydoc(m): 11:04pm On Nov 02, 2019
Freemanbobble:

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua
Baldwin Bazuaye

If i even say make i start to dey mention defenders from Edo state ehhhnnn. Make i just rest

He be like say that Edo state na football state just as Brazil be football nation

Interesting! E be like say na Edo State get SE.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by fk002: 11:10pm On Nov 02, 2019
Freemanbobble:

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua
Baldwin Bazuaye

He be like say that Edo state na football state just as Brazil be football nation

How many Nigerian local league the so called "Brazil of Nigeria" won so far?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by oluwazoba25: 11:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
Freemanbobble:

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua
Baldwin Bazuaye

the Igbo's way be say na dem full national team never talk na Edo way no reach 2℅ day make mouth, I beg go seat jer!
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Barcelona98: 11:27pm On Nov 02, 2019
IamPatriotic:

Non of you watched the match
We all watched the match except you.

It was June 22, 2010, a day Nigerians won’t forget in a hurry. It was a day Yakubu Aiyegbeni missed a simple tap-in during a game between Nigeria and South Korea.

The miss came when his side was trailing the Koreans 2-1 in their final Group A match at the Moses Mabhida Stadium, South Africa.

The ‘Yak’ would later score from the penalty spot but Super Eagles fans were, at the time, unable to move past the unbelievable miss.

It was painful, hard to fathom and difficult to describe.

Perhaps, if the former Okomu Oil striker had converted the vital goal, Nigeria could have defeated South Korea to qualify for the round of 16 of the 2010 World Cup — but it never happened.

Lars Lagerback would later describe Aiyegbeni’s miss as the worst he had ever seen as a coach.

If Yak has one regret about his life in football, it is the haunting thought of that moment of unexplainable madness.

Three years later, he broached the painful topic in an interview with the website of Guangzhou R&F, his former club.

“Oh my God, I will never forget that moment,” Aiyegbeni said.

“I was ready to put the ball in the net. I thought the ball had gone in, I don’t understand how it happened.

“I couldn’t believe it, I was standing there laughing, laughing at myself. If I scored the goal, it would have taken Nigeria to the Round of 16. Losing such chance is what one remembers for a lifetime.”
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by adebobconed(m): 11:56pm On Nov 02, 2019
taretoofine:
including Pius ikedia wey the run pass ball grin
With his short legs grin

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Godson32(m): 5:11am On Nov 03, 2019
Freemanbobble:

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua
Baldwin Bazuaye

Edo state na Italian state because the link is too much
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by femi4: 5:31am On Nov 03, 2019
LordAzubuike:
True.. in my opinion, this guy was greater and more clinical than yekini
stop smoking
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by DeRay98(m): 5:52am On Nov 03, 2019
oluwazoba25:
the Igbo's way be say na dem full national team never talk na Edo way no reach 2℅ day make mouth, I beg go seat jer!

Igbos make up 5 states as one of the 3 major ethic group in Nigeria and producing most of the footballers,
Edo is a single minority state and for its population has produced remarkable number of quality footballers for the nation.
Your disdain against that post is just typical of Tribalistic Igbos who just hate to see or appreciate what other people do. Such elements only think of themselves.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by IamPatriotic(m): 7:01am On Nov 03, 2019
Barcelona98:

It was June 22, 2010, a day Nigerians won’t forget in a hurry. It was a day Yakubu Aiyegbeni missed a simple tap-in during a game between Nigeria and South Korea.

The miss came when his side was trailing the Koreans 2-1 in their final Group A match at the Moses Mabhida Stadium, South Africa.

The ‘Yak’ would later score from the penalty spot but Super Eagles fans were, at the time, unable to move past the unbelievable miss.

Perhaps, if the former Okomu Oil striker had converted the vital goal, Nigeria could have defeated South Korea to qualify for the round of 16 of the 2010 World Cup — but it never happened.

Lars Lagerback would later describe Aiyegbeni’s miss as the worst he had ever seen as a coach.

If Yak has one regret about his life in football, it is the haunting thought of that moment of unexplainable madness.

Three years later, he broached the painful topic in an interview with the website of Guangzhou R&F, his former club.

“I was ready to put the ball in the net. I thought the ball had gone in, I don’t understand how it happened.

“I couldn’t believe it, I was standing there laughing, laughing at myself. If I scored the goal, it would have taken Nigeria to the Round of 16. Losing such chance is what one remembers for a lifetime.”

I know you watched it, only yesterday on google grin
Barcelona98:

I know you watched it, only yesterday on google
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by mysticwarrior(m): 8:01am On Nov 03, 2019
Yakubu just shut up jare, you would have been speaking from the grave by now if we are Colombians, that was the greatest miss in the history of Nigerian football and you even added salt to the injury by laughing after your stupid miss, you mocked 200million people in front of the whole world and still have the gut to open that your garbage mouth? shame on you.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by virago(f): 9:52am On Nov 03, 2019
LordAzubuike:
True.. in my opinion, this guy was greater and more clinical than yekini

You don't know what you're saying
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 03, 2019
SmartyPants:

The bolded is the stat sir.
then they should have made proper use of punctuation to reflect that sir. It reads as though the entirety of the sentence is the stat.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by cruzydal(m): 11:35am On Nov 03, 2019
Freemanbobble:

Victor Moses
Yakubu aiyegbeni
Isaac succes
Julius aghahowa
Odion ighalo
Osimhen
Osazee odemwingie
Nosa igiebor
Humphrey Edobor
Sunday oyarekhua
Baldwin Bazuaye

Ode just look at the list of flops u mentioned . All of them are flops.Rubbish players be there and hyping Edo state head quarters of yahoo and prostitution.Go Italy Na Edo gal’s full Dre
Re: Aiyegbeni: Only Thing Nigerians Will Remember Me For Is The One Goal I Missed by mank1234(m): 12:37pm On Nov 03, 2019
Nayturalistic:
You miss, you begin de laugh.

How Nigerians wan take forget that kind one..

Fulfilled career all the same

People react differently to such situations. Some would cry, others would roll in the floor, others would hit the ground, others would blame their boot. But his reaction shows that he's a born winner. In his mind, 'how can I miss that'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Utd Have Become Toxic Under Woodward - Even Guardiola Would Struggle / ‘why Zidane Should Not Sign Eden Hazard’- Chris Sutton / Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.