Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,246 members, 7,811,691 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ (1732 Views)

Protest In Abuja For The Expulsion Of Saeed-Koozechi Iranian Ambassador / Why UK Govt Seized £27,000 From Diezani / IBB's Government Seized Buhari's Certificates - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by koruji(m): 2:55am On Nov 14, 2010
Quote: “The resolution also empowers states to seize and dispose the prohibited items,” a Nigerian official said.

Nigeria is required to dispose of the 13 containers of military grade weapons seized at the Lagos port three weeks ago, Nigerian diplomats at the United Nations (UN) have said.
Nigerian officials at the UN, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that UN Security Council Resolution 1929 (Iran), among others, placed a  conventional arms ban on Iran.

Iranian Embassy officials in Abuja had admitted that the illegal arms shipment, containing rockets, rifle rounds, grenades and explosives, originated from their country. The resolution was adopted on June 9 by a vote of 12 in favour to two against (Brazil and Turkey), with one abstention (Lebanon).
The sanction was the fourth against Iran over its lack of compliance with previous resolutions on ensuring the peaceful use of its nuclear programme.

“Resolution (1929) recommends all states to inspect all cargo to and from Iran in accordance with the Convention on the Law of the Sea and Civil Aviation agreements for prohibited items, including banned conventional arms or sensitive nuclear or missile items.
“It expects states to report within five days explanations for the search and the findings from such inspections (prohibited items).
“The resolution also empowers states to seize and dispose the prohibited items,” a Nigerian official said. 
At press time on Friday, Nigeria had not officially reported the matter to the Security Council Sanctions Committee on Iran, headed by Tsuneo Nishida, the Permanent Representative of  Japan to the UN.

Foreign Affairs Minister Odein Ajumogobia had indicated at a news conference in Abuja that Nigeria would report Iran to the UN Security Council.
NAN was reliably  informed late on Thursday that Nigeria's Permanent Representative to the UN, Prof. Joy Ogwu, was preparing a report to the council on the matter.
She was said to be awaiting an official directive from Abuja.

Ogwu was said to have met with the Iranian Ambassador to the UN, Mr Mohammad Khazaee, early last week amid ongoing investigations in Abuja over the Iranian connection to the arms shipment.
Her aide had admitted that the meeting, held at the Nigeria House in New York, discussed an upcoming debate in the council about ``human rights'' in Iran.
On Oct. 26, Nigeria's State Security Service (SSS) operatives discovered the 13 containers of illegal weapons at the Lagos port. 

http://www.thisdayonline.info/nview.php?id=187604

US to Assist Nigeria’s Probe of Seized Weapons
From Tokunbo Adedoja in New York, 11.13.2010

The international dimension of the interception of arms shipment into Nigeria from Iran is gradually unfolding with the declaration by United States to assist Nigeria with investigation into the matter.
Also, United Nations Secretary General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon, has named an eight-man panel of experts on Iran as specified by Security Council Resolution 1929 (2010) in respect of the sanctions imposed on the Middle East country over  her nuclear programme. Included on the panel of experts is a Nigerian, Major General Ishola Williams (rtd).

Answering questions from journalists at the State Department in Washington, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Public Affairs, Mr. Philip Crowley, said: "We have talked to the Nigerian government about the discovery of significant arms."

The top US official also said he was not aware of any particular role played by his country in the interception of the arms, but added that US would “obviously encourage and assist Nigeria in any way that we can with its investigation.”
While acknowledging that there is an ongoing investigation by Nigerian security agencies into the issue, Crowley said: “if these reports are true, these are potential violations of Security Council resolutions, including 1929”.

Apparently referring to the stipulations of Paragraph 17 of Security Council Resolution 1929 which requires all states to inform the council of any such arms discovery and seizure from Iran, the US official said: “I think there’s been a public statement by the Nigerian foreign minister that Nigeria will do what is necessary.”
Though Resolution 1929 was passed in June, a panel of experts required to carry out the tasks as specified in paragraph 29 was not constituted, and analysts believe that the constitution of the panel by Ki-moon may be in anticipation of Nigeria's formal notification to the sanctions committee on the intercepted arms.

Other members of the panel as contained in the letter addressed to the President of the Security Council, Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant, include Mr. Jonathan Brewer (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), Mr. Kenichiro Matsubayashi (Japan), Ms. Jacqueline W. Shire (United States of America), Ms. Elena G. Vodopolova (Russian Fede-ration), Mr. Christof Wegner (Germany), Mr. Wenlei Xu (People’s Republic of China) and Ms. Salomé Zourabichvili (France).
The UN Scribe also designated Zourabichvili to serve as coordinator of the newly constituted panel of experts.
Thirteen containers, originating from Iran and labelled as "packages of glass wool and pallets of stone" but loaded with rocket launchers, grenades, high caliber guns and ammunition, were intercepted at Lagos port in October by Nigerian Security operatives.

Resolution 1747 (2007), adopted by the Security Council at its 5647th meeting on March 24, 2007 against Iran's nuclear programme, mandates all states to prohibit the procurement of any arms from Iran by their nationals, just as its forbids Iran from supplying or selling any arms.
http://www.thisdayonline.info/nview.php?id=187607
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Beaf: 4:22am On Nov 14, 2010
The arms should be given to the National Guard that GEJ is planning to create.
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 4:29am On Nov 14, 2010
They need to confiscate it!
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 4:34am On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

They need to confiscate it!

Is this a game for "name another name for seize" shocked Such a coincidence that it is my most favouritest game in the world grin

Please i wanna play too, please, please, please, can i go first tongue

Alagolo, go and sleep cheesy grin cheesy
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 4:37am On Nov 14, 2010
Busy_body:

Is this a game for "name another name for seize" shocked Such a coincidence that it is my most favouritest game in the world grin

Please i wanna play too, please, please, please, can i go first tongue

Alagolo, go and sleep cheesy grin cheesy

No, you cannot play. The age limit is 43.

Anybody wey no get anymore teeth in him mouth should comot . grin
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 5:03am On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

No, you cannot play. The age limit is 43.

Anybody wey no get anymore teeth in him mouth should comot . grin

Oh, didn't i tell you i purchased some removable fake set of teeth, that even MAcleans have been begging me to come and do an advertisement for them, sorry, i sincerely thought i did embarassed

Can i have a go at the game now, is it my turn yet cheesy
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 14, 2010
Busy_body:

Oh, didn't i tell you i purchased some removable fake set of teeth, that even MAcleans have been begging me to come and do an advertisement for them, sorry, i sincerely thought i did embarassed

Can i have a go at the game now, is it my turn yet cheesy

Even if you purchase shark teeth wey scatter scatter like babangida's own, you still cannot play.

If you post here again, I'll tell my sweerat baby junior [wey dey your house, giving him till his 18 wink] to [i]confiscate [/i]that your keyboard.
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 5:15am On Nov 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Even if you purchase shark teeth wey scatter scatter like babangida's own, you still cannot play.

If you post here again, I'll tell my sweerat baby junior [wey dey your house, giving him till his 18 wink] to [i]confiscate [/i]that your keyboard.

angry Don't remind me joo, he is now in the habit of grabbing anything he can lay hands on angry He yanked my external modem outta my lappie, hence reason i was incommunicado for a while angry Ha that reminds me to tell his Dad to help me buy pankere and koboko elenu mefa when he comes back, spare the rod and spoilthe child, so it is better we catch him young cheesy grin cheesy

You are the expert on pickin matter, so please tell me we have not left it too late at 6 months old to start caning him with bulala tongue
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 5:18am On Nov 14, 2010
Busy_body:

angry Don't remind me joo, he is now in the habit of grabbing anything he can lay hands on angry He yanked my external modem outta my lappie, hence reason i was incommunicado for a while angry Ha that reminds me to tell his Dad to help me buy pankere and koboko elenu mefa when he comes back, spare the rod and spoilthe child, so it is better we catch him young cheesy grin cheesy

You are the expert on pickin matter, so please tell me we have not left it too late at 6 months old to start caning him with bulala tongue

Let's meet on the parenting thread.

Do not touch my baby o. Tell am mama is coming! kiss kiss kiss
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 5:36am On Nov 14, 2010
okiz, thanks, see ya in the morning then or should i just kuku bring him now grin He is good as gold though, unlike the other one, chei angry A goat would behave if they see a cane in your hand lipsrsealed

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 5:41am On Nov 14, 2010
Busy_body:

okiz, thanks, see ya in the morning then or should i just kuku bring him now grin He is good as gold though, unlike the other one, chei angry A goat would behave if they see a cane in your hand lipsrsealed

cheesy grin cheesy

LMAO! Ejo, e sa sun dada, so that my baby will get fresh milk tomor morning.
I hope his teeth has been growing grin grin tehehe!
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 5:49am On Nov 14, 2010
Teeth ke shocked Teething though, hence reason he grabs stuffs and everything ends up in his mouth cheesy See you on that thread tomorrow jare, beware i am sleeping with one eye open because i am not comforetable with you stalking my boo Drake angry He only has eyes for me, so stop harassing him angry angry angry

G'night kiss kiss kiss
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 5:52am On Nov 14, 2010
Busy_body:

Teeth ke shocked Teething though, hence reason he grabs stuffs and everything ends up in his mouth cheesy See you on that thread tomorrow jare, beware i am sleeping with one eye open because i am not comforetable with you stalking my boo Drake angry He only has eyes for me, so stop harassing him angry angry angry

G'night kiss kiss kiss

LOL E lo sun. kiss kiss kiss

Drake ko
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Bishopking: 9:43am On Nov 14, 2010
there are only three relevant post on this thread so far! Home matters should just be that!
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 1:46am On Nov 15, 2010
Bishopking:

there are only three relevant post on this thread so far! Home matters should just be that!

I take it, the remaining non-relevant posts debarred you from posting and actually made you lose the i bet irrelevant drivel/train of thought that you intended to contribute right undecided

As if your post was on point too, shior undecided undecided
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 2:27am On Nov 15, 2010
LMAO! I left that one thing for you grin grin
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 2:45am On Nov 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

LMAO! I left that one thing for you grin grin

Why just one, thought we agreed it was 3 men you would be hooking me up with angry angry angry cheesy

And i know men are generally useless and good for nothing waste of space, but can you show them a bit of respect and stop calling them "things" cheesy tongue
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 2:56am On Nov 15, 2010
Busy_body:

Why just one, thought we agreed it was 3 men you would be hooking me up with angry angry angry cheesy

And i know men are generally useless and good for nothing waste of space, but can you show them a bit of respect and stop calling them "things" cheesy tongue

Death! I don die. Oya you can keep willy willy and ikeyman too. They can be real useless without even trying.

Abeg, remove Yoruba men from those group o, dem try small. Even with their oblong head and spagheeti arms grin e ti da tiredi yii ru completely. Lol
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 3:10am On Nov 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Death! I don die. Oya you can keep willy willy and ikeyman too. They can be real useless without even trying.

Abeg, remove Yoruba men from those group o, dem try small. Even with their oblong head and spagheeti arms grin e ti da tiredi yii ru completely. Lol

Oops, Yoruba i don't know another word for seize and confiscate nko cry And i don't want to use my brain yet, i haven't even unwrapped it from the shrink packaging it came in grin
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 3:16am On Nov 15, 2010
Busy_body:

Oops, Yoruba i don't know another word for seize and confiscate nko cry And i don't want to use my brain yet, i haven't even unwrapped it from the shrink packaging it came in grin
See this ofenmanu. Be careful oh, before okoro man decides to sue yo for stealing his fave word.
he go fit take your overlarge ikebes as his wife no get any. I just dey warn you, take your time o.
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 3:30am On Nov 15, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

See this ofenmanu. Be careful oh, before okoro man decides to sue yo for stealing his fave word.
he go fit take your overlarge ikebes as his wife no get any. I just dey warn you, take your time o.

Eru obodo, i full ground, i stand well well, no shaking grin

@Topic

Whadido, whadido, whadido, 'erm maybe they should sell it undecided
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 3:35am On Nov 15, 2010
Impossible not to shake wetin God gave us in excess wink
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by koruji(m): 2:46am On Nov 16, 2010
@Ileke
How did a thread on "Seized Iranian Arms" turn into a discussion about men & women (and what they can do or not do) and kids & milk. Hhmmm?
Oya explain yourself grin

Ileke-IdI:

Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 3:05am On Nov 16, 2010
^^^

grin grin grin

@ ileke-idi
Oya wey the ileke-idi with the humongous blomblom to come and explain herself. Er . . . na chic2pimp call you this name oh, me i am just complying because i want him to see me as a friendly and warm mother-in-law grin

You should be back from your daily ekiti parapo meeting by now na angry
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by koruji(m): 3:34am On Nov 16, 2010
@Busy_body
Can I say you are true to your username? Well, if you mind I won't say it, let me know cheesy
But my real question is why is this thread now about men&women, and the things they do or don't do as well as kids&milk. Any explanations?
Don't want to hear any Yoruba o grin grin grin

Busy_body:

^^^
grin grin grin
@ ileke-idi
Oya wey the ileke-idi with the humongous blomblom to come and explain herself. Er . . . na chic2pimp call you this name oh, me i am just complying because i want him to see me as a friendly and warm mother-in-law grin
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 3:47am On Nov 16, 2010
Busy_body:

^^^

grin  grin grin

@ ileke-idi

He called me that ehn. Let him wait till I report him to dayo.

I am still at my meeting jare. We're still discussing how to break away from nigeria.  All of una na nation of whiners. Una go whine today and tomorow, till tomor becomes yest. Ah ahn.

koruji:

@Ileke
How did a thread on "Seized Iranian Arms" turn into a discussion about men & women (and what they can do or not do) and kids & milk. Hhmmm?
Oya explain yourself grin

Lol I don't know how iyalode derailed this thread either. Ibi ti won ba ti gbe ikebe won lo, bo se ma n da ni yen lol.

Sorry oga, we'll behave.
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by koruji(m): 3:55am On Nov 16, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Lol I don't know how iyalode derailed this thread either. Ibi ti won ba ti gbe ikebe won lo, bo se ma n da ni yen lol.
Sorry oga, we'll behave.

Ok, mo ti gbo o.
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by 1025: 8:33am On Nov 16, 2010
pdp must remember that the 2011 election is a DO OR DIE AFFAIR and as such, i suggest that pdp distribute the arms to their thugs all over the country to keep things tight.
again, uncle joe, a born militant must send some home to keep up the good works.
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 1:59am On Nov 19, 2010
1025:

pdp must remember that the 2011 election is a DO OR DIE AFFAIR and as such, i suggest that pdp distribute the arms to their thugs all over the country to keep things tight.
again, uncle joe, a born militant must send some home to keep up the good works.

BB: Huh, wey this no brake no jam fella come from, what are we talking what is he talking egbami shocked

Bishopking:whispers into BB's ears cool

BB: Huh, oohhh, oh i get it, 1025 was discussing the topic embarassed oops my bad embarassed

koruji:

@Busy_body
Can I say you are true to your username? Well, if you mind I won't say it, let me know cheesy
But my real question is why is this thread now about men&women, and the things they do or don't do as well as kids&milk. Any explanations?
Don't want to hear any Yoruba o grin grin grin

Who you calling a busybody angry Do you mind angry Thats just rude, rude, rude angry tongue

Erm. . . . i can explain why the thread was derailed embarassed See the thing is, it wasn't me, twas ileke-idi, i swear, and i kept warning her and trying to steer her back to the topic, yes i did indeed, but Ekitis are stubborn, so she refused to comply embarassed Yeah, thats it cool
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 2:52am On Nov 19, 2010
^^^ angry angry angry angry
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Busybody2(f): 3:02am On Nov 19, 2010
^^^ Who is J Cole in your signature too, i want him too joo, its soooooo bleudy cold here angry angry angry
Re: ‘what Nigeria Should Do To Seized Iranian Arms’ by Nobody: 3:03am On Nov 19, 2010
Busy_body:

^^^ Who is J Cole in your signature too, i want him too joo, its soooooo bleudy cold here angry angry angry
I've given you EzeUche, you still want to come after my becommrich and J.Cole!!! Get behind me, woman! angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Must Be President In 2015. It Is Sacrosanct And Sacred- ATIKU / Scorecard For Education In Lagos ( A Must Read ) / Can U Take Bullet For Your President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.