Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,761 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Is Funbi Our Own Joe With His Style On Rnb; Serenade About To Prove So. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Funbi Our Own Joe With His Style On Rnb; Serenade About To Prove So. (246 Views)

Ruger Ft. BNXN - RNB (Album EP) Mp3 Download / Please Refer Me To Heart Touching Rnb Songs / A Social Media Influencer Blast Young King Stunna To Change His Style Of Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Funbi Our Own Joe With His Style On Rnb; Serenade About To Prove So. by Chanbang10: 9:10am On Nov 04, 2019
MUSIC REVIEW:
TODAY MARKS ONE YEAR THIS PROJECT DROPPED BUT IT FEELS LIKE YESTERDAY

In a country where Afrobeat is been regarded as our biggest exports to the world due to its impact, influence and its deep connection with our culture. Many other music genre has taken a major setback some caused by music consumers not paying attention as they ought to do, some caused by music labels not ready investing in them due to low patronage from fans although it looks like it’s changing and the reasons are endless.
Inspite of all these challenges, certain artists have dared to do some of them from Hip-hop (hard core rap), Jazz, Reggae, RNB etc. and still excel well and have paved the way for others to excel in them. Examples include Modenine, Djinee, Gino etc.
RNB is one of many genres in music that requires a lot to really succeed in this part of the world. Even though most people often look at it as just having an amazing voice and the right management; it involves beyond more than that. There is consistency, persistency, dedication constant reinventing not to lose touch of your core base. Somebody might say it applies in every other genre but in RNB I feel in this part we are, the pressure is more on RNB artists. It is the second most listen to genre in Nigeria after Afro beat if I’m not mistaken plus there is the image aspect of the business which sometimes influences the fan base too. Pending on the kind of RNB, the artist does as well. Of course, it will be a conversation for other time. Although the likes of Wande coal, BankyW, Praiz are just few who have dive in that but are still on the RNB train.
In recent times, there are been a young movement of newcrew members on this train, the likes of Tjan, Nonso Amadi, Odunsi the engine, Funbi, Wurld to name a few are among those leading the new school of RNB in Nigeria. Nonsi Amadi and Odunsi the engine experiment with different sounds most of the time, their sound for RNB is inevitable; listen their joint album WAR to understand them together. I consider them members of the good dudes of RNB in this era of Nigerian music. There are still other members in this league and we will be previewing his latest effort.
FUNBI
For those who don’t know, Funbi Emiola aka Funky Funbi is a singer who’s been around since the late twenty thousand. Perceived more as a hook deliverer due to the large catalog of artists, he has worked with the past but he has had his share of success on his own record although he took a little hiatus to focus on his education and self discovery as well. He came back in 2016 with an inspirational tune that he conveyed his journey while he was away from the industry and how he has grown to where he is presently. Through, the tune proved he could be versatile with his sound but majority of his core fans know he is a RNB artist. I mean does good RNB and in a country like ours where RNB is struggling to gain general acceptance among music listeners, it’s nice to know there are artists who still do the genre in spite of the difficulties and he is one of them.
Serenade is a 7 play track, which sees the singer on the first track “SHOWUP “reaching for a love that never dies in spite of it been that one is putting more effort to make it work than the other, they break and they always reunite but this time hopes it will be different; the chorus line” YOU KEEP COMING MY WAY YEAH”……… plays more emphasis on it.
The second track “COLOR” very straight forward, a dude telling a lady that he is interesting in that he is down with whatever is best for their relationship no need for insecurities and uncertainties, he is always there more like assurance. Epic delivery with the trumpet playing on the background, gave it a jazz appeal vibe plus the beautiful short poem spoken by the lady on the background which explained what the entire project was all about; it is piece.
The title project” SERENADE” falls at number three, it is as the meaning of the word. A ballad about a love struck dude professing his undying love to his partner. Could pass for a live band performance due to the use of musical instrument and African melody as well. Slow in a good way and sincere in terms of lyrics. Notable lines “It’s like I go somewhere else when look into your eyes”. Very mushy.
Next track” VOODOO”, like the meaning of the word but not the case just wishing for it to be like it is. A guy wooing a lady on a dance floor due to her movement. High- tempo, Very Afrobeat inspired, flirty in a clean way could pass for a salsa song.
Fifth Track, the first featured on the project, this time, he decided to flirt more with his words and adores his partner’s body, the way it appeals to him. Seyi shay did not disappoint, her vocals were fierce, she delivered the hook well plus their duo is amazing. They should do more songs together. A danceable track still afrobeat inspired.
Sixth Track, the second feature was no other Ghanian songstress Efya. It is centered on promises, commitment and intimacy more like Ride or Die situation. ‘’ RIDE WITH YOU is a beautiful song, their duo works. Up-tempo a bit, very melody. Personal opinion through, Efya was not at her best on this collaboration I expected more but she is still my favorite songstress from Ghana.
The bonus and final track, “I WANT IT BACK” reggae inspired. About a love turn sour from the past. The heart break, mistakes made in the relationship and the lessons learnt in the relationship and the healing process after. A sad and glorious song at the same time. It is very relatable.
This project is a strong statement from the artist, his vocal depth is topnotch, his delivery; fantastic. His lyrics are simple, well thought and structured ( the blend of English and Yoruba language worked well) plus very sincere. My theory is most or if not all songs were inspired by personal experiences in his life or people around him. Serenade should have been an album; it has elements that could make it pass as an album. Funbi has his reasons for making an EP.
Production and musical arrangement on this project is topnotch. Shout out to Ikon and Spax
His style of RNB reminds me of American legend aka the king of good dude RNB JOE; if you are really into RNB you will attest to this . Serenade is about to make him the king of that league in this generation.
I rate SERENADE 4 stars.
If you are yet to listen; please do…………
Re: Is Funbi Our Own Joe With His Style On Rnb; Serenade About To Prove So. by Siberia01(m): 9:12am On Nov 04, 2019
tongue

1 Like

Re: Is Funbi Our Own Joe With His Style On Rnb; Serenade About To Prove So. by Chanbang10: 10:38pm On Nov 10, 2019
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Here Are The 2020 GRAMMY Award Nominations, Lizzo Leads With 8 Nods / Download Mp3:alaye Jor Jor-vector / Holy Man & The Apostles Ft. Naomi Classik – Oh Lord How I Love You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.