Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,397 members, 7,846,666 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Roads & Casualties - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Roads & Casualties (164 Views)

Police And Shiite Clashes In Kaduna Result In Casualties (video) / List Of Casualties Of Lekki Tollgate Shooting - Judicial Panel / Casualties Of Ganduje, Sanusi Quarrel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Roads & Casualties by MetaPhysical: 9:19pm On Nov 04, 2019
This topic area is not my forte at all but I wanted to discuss it nonetheless and perhaps get those who write on road usage and safety, either as a hobby or profession, to include in their To-Do list for general awareness.

cc
Autojosh
Autoreporter

I was wondering the other day if anyone would reflect on the history of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway fifteen years to date and come to terms with rate of casualties in that time span. I don't know how old the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway is but from stories I heard, before the Expressways in Lagos (Lagos-Ibadan, Lagos-Badagry, Lekki-Epe) there were only four TRUNK Roads people traveled between Lagos and hinterland, as well along the coast.

1- Agege Motor Road to Ota connects with Northern traffic.
2- Ikorodu Road to Isagamu. Isagamu Town is a Tri-City, branches to Ibadan and Ore.
3- Ikorodu is also a Tri-City, one road branches to Isagamu, a second goes to Ijebu Ode and a third to Epe.
4- Ojo Road to Amuwo to Agbadaigi (Badagry)

See pictures below for "sample" of what we had before and after the three Expressways in Lagos.

Fifteen years ago we still had daily newspaper vendor that delivered to my father and I would go through meticulously cover to cover to update on national news and events. It was common to read reports of accidents on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. I later learnt that NUJ had an estate somewhere along the route and also some media houses had relocated their printing press out of Ikeja and stationed along that road. It made sense why media correspondents had first information on events along Lagos-Ibadan.

Fifteen years ago the surface pavement was also very drivable and stretches of kilometers were very dependable for speeding, unlike when maintenance started to lax and drivers were forced to observe caution and minimize speed to avoid expensive repair costs and delays resulting from harzards and damage to vehicles.

So in that period there were two stages of usage

1. The carefree and nonchalant road usage at top speed. This period saw many avoidable accidents that claimed many lives and destruction to properties. One single car out of control could ram into four other cars and totaled them instantly and break bodies apart beyond recoverable limits. There were many body parts left on the Expressway because their recovery was impossible for proper burial. This stage corresponded to the period of smooth and unobstructed passage on the inviting surface.

2. The careful and more observant usage for self-preservation to life and property. In this period accidents and casualties are diminished and when they happen it is more from neglect of a single driver, the impact is direct and not spread to others. This stage will coincide with very few casualties on the Expressway.

There is a road hazard that was present in both stages...there is the issue of circumstantial event, like a container laden truck rolling over on top of cars or a petrol tanker spilling its flammable liquid and engulfing sorroundings and consuming everything.

Summarizing everything, when our expressways are maintained in good condition they are prone to claim more casualties than when they are in a state of disrepair. In my opinion there is a good argument and a bad argument for each. I am not sure data exist in any of the Road Safety agencies that would support this input but I believe to formulate a good policy that balances commerce and safety on our expressways, it is indeed imperative that we begin to collect data at this moment when we are getting ready to resurface and bring back the smooth, inviting, unobstructive stretch of kilometers that spur users to drive carelessly and raise casualty level.

Re: Roads & Casualties by padi94(m): 9:44pm On Nov 04, 2019
J

(1) (Reply)

Community Seeks Akeredolu’s Intervention In Obaship Tussle / Mixed Reactions In Aso-rock As Buhari Sacks Osinbajo’s Aides / Tradermoni Survey: Who Is Receiving The Benefits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.