Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,616 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 (4262 Views)

2012 BMW X6, Range Rover Evoque, Lexus RX 350 Or Acura Zdx. Which Do I Go For? / HELP: Ford Galaxy 2004 Veva 2.3 / Toyota Previa 2002/2003 Or Toyota Avensis Verso 2002/2003 For Family Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by cbi24: 12:49am On Nov 05, 2019
I need to upgrade my car for the following reason

1. Bad road
2.fuel consumption and maintenance
3.part availability
4.social status

Which of these will you advice me to buy

Biko

Help a brother
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by idesylvester(m): 1:00am On Nov 05, 2019
Toyota highlander bro. The 2nd choice is the Acura cos it's a product of Honda. Ford is not an easy car to maintain in Nigeria, they always have a special mechanic

2 Likes

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by nurey(m): 8:23am On Nov 05, 2019
cbi24:
I need to upgrade my car for the following reason

1. Bad road
2.fuel consumption and maintenance
3.part availability
4.social status

Which of these will you advice me to buy

Biko

Help a brother

Ford edge

1. more recent out of the choice

2. Very common and parts are available, if you want brand-new or tokunbo, it is available and it is the OEM not Chinese knockoff compared to the MDX and HL

3. The Ford edge is among the best alternative to a Lexus RX so it will easily compete well with an HL

4. It's resale value isn't the worst in the lineup compared to that MDX, the edge is a blessing

5. The 2.0T Ecoboost Engine is very common in Ford and Mazda vehicles so getting parts for it won't be a challenge, the 4cylinder ensures good fuel economy and the 240hp output won't have you coming last in a race.

6. The 6speed auto is fitted in several years of Ford and Lincoln vehicle, the transmission is made by GM a very reliable global brand.

7. The edge is a Ford, treat it well and you will have a edge over others.

8. If you are not convinced with my points after getting to no 8 then you obviously are thinking inside the box instead of outside the box.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:23am On Nov 05, 2019
Ford Edge, of course. undecided
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by mightybishop: 9:53am On Nov 05, 2019
I don't agree with this, i have been using a 2015 ford fusion se for the past 1 year. I can assure you it doesn't require any special mechanic to fix plus it's very strong and durable, despite the despicable state of roads in ibadan.

idesylvester:
Toyota highlander bro. The 2nd choice is the Acura cos it's a product of Honda. Ford is not an easy car to maintain in Nigeria, they always have a special mechanic
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by mightybishop: 10:00am On Nov 05, 2019
God bless you for this illustration sir. I can't phantom why people think ford cars are not strong compare to toyota or honda on Nigeria roads. Ford will gives you a sense of luxury and durability.

nurey:

Ford edge

2. Very common and parts are available, if you want brand-new or tokunbo, it is available and it is the OEM not Chinese knockoff compared to the MDX and HL

3. The Ford edge is among the best alternative to a Lexus RX so it will easily compete well with an HL

4. It's resale value isn't the worst in the lineup compared to that MDX, the edge is a blessing

5. The 2.0T Ecoboost Engine is very common in Ford and Mazda vehicles so getting parts for it won't be a challenge, the 4cylinder ensures good fuel economy and the 240hp output won't have you coming last in a race.

6. The 6speed auto is fitted in several years of Ford and Lincoln vehicle, the transmission is made by GM a very reliable global brand.

8. If you are not convinced with my points after getting to no 8 then you obviously are thinking inside the box instead of outside the box.

1 Like

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by cbi24: 9:11am On Nov 07, 2019
Thanks... Alot for all your input..

I need more input
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by DARLINGTON869(m): 9:17am On Nov 07, 2019
Op, I would suggest the Highlander. Reason being that it is far more economical to maintain than the Ford edge or MDX in terms of fuel consumption and readily available parts.
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by KINGreignn: 1:12pm On Nov 07, 2019
No try go for any Ford ecoboost 2.0t or else you'd be sorry when it starts. Also don't go do any high mileage or abused ford edge.

My favorite amongst the trio I'll be the Acura MDX. Go for the touring editio and enjoy quality at its best.
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by KINGreignn: 1:13pm On Nov 07, 2019
mightybishop:
God bless you for this illustration sir. I can't phantom why people think ford cars are not strong compare to toyota or honda on Nigeria roads. Ford will gives you a sense of luxury and durability.

Hope you'd be helping him to buy coil packs when it start failing especially high mileage units or when alternator goes bad, you'd shell out 40k to get a FoMCo part?
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by KINGreignn: 1:14pm On Nov 07, 2019
For all y'all talking ford ecoboost, read about the ecoboost 2.0 and fuel leaks which can result in fires.
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:32pm On Nov 07, 2019
KINGreignn:
For all y'all talking ford ecoboost, read about the ecoboost 2.0 and fuel leaks which can result in fires.

The 2008 Ford Edge only comes with the Mazda Duratec 3.5, though. And that's a pretty solid engine.
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by Frankdamaxx(m): 8:09pm On Nov 10, 2019
Newer the better, except the car is a lemon which the Ford Edge is not.
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by naijadrivablog: 8:32pm On Nov 10, 2019
Frankdamaxx:
Newer the better, except the car is a lemon which the Ford Edge is not.

@ times, old is bad (going by your submission).
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by Frankdamaxx(m): 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2019
naijadrivablog:

@ times, old is bad (going by your submission).

I didn't say bad. I said the newer the better. The 03 Highlander is okay. But personally, I would take the Newer car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by sultaan(m): 1:38am On Nov 12, 2019
Never short change your self when buying cars, you should look at the car test drive and buy the one you like it is your money.

For the same price always buy the newer car, manufacturers make improvements at any opportunity withing the manufacturing cycle..
When you have 5 whole years between two models, I would have taken a Kia over Toyota if it was an option

3 Likes

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by thebigkendo(m): 5:25am On Nov 12, 2019
sultaan:
Never short change your self when buying cars, you should look at the car test drive and buy the one you like it is your money.

For the same price always buy the newer car, manufacturers make improvements at any opportunity withing the manufacturing cycle..
When you have 5 whole years between two models, I would have taken a Kia over Toyota if it was an option

In Nigeria for the same price we will take a 96 Toyota over any other 2015 car because its a Toyota, parts are cheap, readily available and we don't need special mechanic to fix grin grin

5 Likes

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by radautoworks: 7:10am On Nov 12, 2019
thebigkendo:

In Nigeria for the same price we will take a 96 Toyota over any other 2015 car because its a Toyota, parts are cheap, readily available and we don't need special mechanic to fix grin grin

Except ford edge. Don't do it

1 Like

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by radautoworks: 7:11am On Nov 12, 2019
nurey:

Ford edge

NO SAH!

Ford edge is a piece of crap and is the most common car at our shop with all sorts of problems. 12 in under two weeks and they were all F'ed up. Ford sucks at anything under V8. They simply do not know how to make small cars and engines. Big engines they make some beasts. I'm not sure where to got your numbers but the MDX has a higher resale value. Yes, we carry the parts but my above to him is the Acura. The Toyota is too old.

2 Likes

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by nurey(m): 8:58am On Nov 12, 2019
radautoworks:

NO SAH!

Ford edge is a piece of crap and is the most common car at our shop with all sorts of problems. 12 in under two weeks and they were all F'ed up. Ford sucks at anything under V8. They simply do not know how to make small cars and engines. Big engines they make some beasts. I'm not sure where to got your numbers but the MDX has a higher resale value. Yes, we carry the parts but my above to him is the Acura. The Toyota is too old.

The Ford edge is the next common CUV after Lexus RX and Highlander.

are we talking about the same 1st generation MDX 01-06, cause that car has a shitty resale value and when I see naija used forsale first thing that comes to mind is gear fault because that MDX from 01 to 07 is known for faulty gear not only MDX a lot of Acura lineup in that year bracket especially those with V6 engines some Honda products too aren't left out.

You should expect to s of edge in your workshop than MDX because the edge sold more than MDX in Nigeria, just like I see Toyota product breakdown on 3rd mainland bridge everyday not because they are bad but the unit sold in Nigeria made it such

1 Like

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by thebigkendo(m): 10:15am On Nov 12, 2019
radautoworks:

NO SAH!

I disagree with you on this one..
I know about 5 Ford edge owners.. & they are very happy with it.. If it was that horrible Atleast 1 or 2 of them would not be happy..

Alfa Nurey I no gree oh.. 08 Ford Edge selling more the 1sr gen MDX.. Not true

She is probably seeing more Edge because she is of the "special" mechanic idesylvester talked about grin grin

Most kazeems can handle the MDX so few will reach her workshop grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by nurey(m): 10:55am On Nov 12, 2019
thebigkendo:

I disagree with you on this one..
I know about 5 Ford edge owners.. & they are very happy with it.. If it was that horrible Atleast 1 or 2 of them would not be happy..

Alfa Nurey I no gree oh.. 08 Ford Edge selling more the 1sr gen MDX.. Not true

She is probably seeing more Edge because she is of the "special" mechanic idesylvester talked about grin grin

Most kazeems can handle the MDX so few will reach her workshop grin

well no need to argue much anyway on which unit sold more, while Acura was cashing in on the MDX from 01 to 06 5years the only thing in Ford stable was the Escape more like a scapegoat it wasn't on par with the competition.

But you will agree between the 1st Gen edge and 2nd Gen MDX, Ford EDGE has an edge since it rode on the popularity of the Explorer I hope my use of English is correct.

Grammarnazi what say you.
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by sultaan(m): 10:28pm On Nov 12, 2019
radautoworks:

NO SAH!

. What will you say are the common faults you see that could be a routine maintenance item or the ones that result from real failure of parts or botched job of a previous mechanic.

You said you have seen a lot but can you rule out the fact that most users aware of the good job you are doing and genuine parts you sell make you a preferred shop for their baby
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by radautoworks: 8:15am On Nov 13, 2019
sultaan:
. What will you say are the common faults you see that could be a routine maintenance item or the ones that result from real failure of parts or botched job of a previous mechanic.

You said you have seen a lot but can you rule out the fact that most users aware of the good job you are doing and genuine parts you sell make you a preferred shop for their baby

Issues run the gamut. There is no rhyme or reason to them hence the P.O.S. Designation
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by Awhinawhi555: 11:41am On Nov 13, 2019
I don't know much about Ford edge or Acura but the one I do know very well is the H lander because that's the one I have.
The H lander engine is very silent you won't know if the engine is on when it's not in motion and even at top speeds like 140km/h the engine is still very silent, and that why I advise you to go for the newer model of h lander but I have been using my 2003 h Lander for the past 5yrs and some of the engine parts have started failing and that's because I travel with it a lot and I have also had an accident with it twice but,the car is still very strong ,It still travels from Port Harcourt to Lagos at 120 and 140 kmh and the engine is still silent till now .Although don't over load it because it gets low easily ,especially when you carry 4 to 5 or 6 adults behind, but the newer model is stronger and more comfortable.
Also it does not consume fuel if you drive between 80 to 100kmh on the highway

1 Like

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 13, 2019
radautoworks:

Issues run the gamut. There is no rhyme or reason to them hence the P.O.S. Designation

Would you say the issues are due to local abuse or the edge being a lemon?
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by radautoworks: 11:54pm On Nov 13, 2019
ornicus:

Would you say the issues are due to local abuse or the edge being a lemon?

Lemon. It was the same in the USA. Parade in and out of the shop.

1 Like

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by RZArecta2(m): 2:02am On Nov 14, 2019
If aunty Radu tells you something about cars, it’s best to take her very seriously

1 Like

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by DUNKA(m): 3:59am On Nov 14, 2019
radautoworks:

Lemon. It was the same in the USA. Parade in and out of the shop.
Please for the below pick up vehicles which would be better for use in Nigeria

1. Ford F -150
2. Tacoma
3. Tundra
4. Hilux

Kindly advise
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by sultaan(m): 4:22am On Nov 14, 2019
DUNKA:

1. Ford F -150
2. Tacoma
3. Tundra
4. Hilux

Kindly advise

Tundra
F150
Tacoma
Hilux

Starting from Tundra pick the one you can afford, the bigger the work truck the more work you get done

1 Like

Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by radautoworks: 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2019
DUNKA:

1. Ford F -150
2. Tacoma
3. Tundra
4. Hilux

Kindly advise

Any of 2-4. Only v8 or diesel of 1 is any good
Re: HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 by sultaan(m): 10:33pm On Nov 14, 2019
radautoworks:

So can you please lost the top 3 issues you encounter more frequently in Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Your Opinion Here :honda E.O.D Or Toyota Camry Big For Nothing. / My Experience While Learning To Drive / Best Sounding Production Cars(w/pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.