Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,199 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts (54945 Views)

Genevieve Nnaji's Movie "Lionheart" Sold For N150 In Traffic / Nigerians React As Genevieve Nnaji LIONHEART Shows On Netflix. Trends On Twitter / Netflix Buys Genevieve Nnaji's 'Lionheart' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Beorn: 10:53am On Nov 05, 2019
iamjavadem:
Stop getting emotional and try to understand the rule, it say non-english not offical lanuguage, stop being a loser.

If you can't be civil whilst spewing your crap, you don't have to quote me.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by hollowpot15684(m): 10:54am On Nov 05, 2019
Honestly, King of Boys would have performed better.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Neddstark: 10:56am On Nov 05, 2019
DenreleDave:

Shut up jare.. Rules are rules

Moreover it was 12 mins Igbo not 20 mins... Tribalist

I'll like to rub my finger in my butthole and stick it in your nose right now. Park well abeg
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by DenreleDave(m): 10:57am On Nov 05, 2019
Neddstark:

I'll like to rub my finger in my butthole and stick it in your nose right now. Park well abeg

Werey
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by MrEnigma007: 11:00am On Nov 05, 2019
King of boys was average... I won't want to watch that movie again, 73 is the best movie I have watched from nollywood...

someone was calling mokalik... that movies is a borefest combined with it mediocrity.

Lionheart did okay, I will say Genevieve is doing well for herself ... internationally she is above any Nigerian actor for now whether she writes a good movie or not.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by tiwiex(m): 11:02am On Nov 05, 2019
Threebear:
I love Genevieve but to be honest , that movie was mediocre .

Place it side by side with other movies submitted for best foreign language and it looks extremely bland .

Having 500 plus languages is no excuse .

The requirement for the category has always been clear ....best FOREIGN language .

No need to sensationalize and act pitiable .

A lot of countries are multi lingual but still manage to showcase their cultures and primary language.

I wonder why all the sentiments. It's a foreign language category and it has it's criteria. 10 mins of igbo in a 94 mins is not so foreign. It is still eligible for other categories so what's the issue here.

I am actually happy this happened. We act more English than the English and attach literacy to English. That's how someone mentioned they shouldn't teach her son pidgin. I have met people who wish they learnt pidgin. This is a wakeup call to all our Behind celibrities. Make una promote una culture jare. It doesn't make you less literate.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 05, 2019
Generalwoodz:
The Movie should've been 94mins igbo and 12MINS English.

She knew the rules,
Why is she now crying foul play and sounding so pitable?
Rather 94 mins pidgin 12 mins English
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by kay29000(m): 11:07am On Nov 05, 2019
erons22:
RULES ARE RULES WHY DID THE COMMITTEE SUBMITTED THE MOVIE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

THE RULE IS CLEARLY STATED IN THE CATEGORY IT WAS UP FOR THAT IT SHOULD BE MAINLY IN NON ENGLISH LANGUAGE..

Very clear rules. No need to play victim here.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by kay29000(m): 11:09am On Nov 05, 2019
lenghtinny:
Well, they have their rules which one has to play by.....

They only trying to encourage us to stick to our native language which l believe is a good one....

Yep.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by friendlyadvice: 11:09am On Nov 05, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
Ishmael ni gringringrin
isiah grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by micxwell(m): 11:10am On Nov 05, 2019
SaintLucia:
She tried but that film and the story line can't stand Ti Oluwa ni Ile and Saworoide.
Chai! Baba Wande's Ti Oluwa ni ile grin Epic o
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by kay29000(m): 11:11am On Nov 05, 2019
SolarRen:

You are absolutely correct, a lot of scenes didn't quite add up. I felt in their bid to be unpredictable they totally lost the plot others just didn't make sense atall; Reminisce holding a lit cigarette in a place saturated with gasoline was one of those moments

King of boys is closest thing to a Hollywood blockbuster movie Nigeria has ever produced.

Are you for real? Let me go and look for the movie.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Candanyl: 11:13am On Nov 05, 2019
The film I watched and slept half way.Very overrated in my opinion!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by peeps4u: 11:14am On Nov 05, 2019
hollowpot15684:
Honestly, King of Boys would have performed better.

Una no dey read, it is our problems in Nigeria; no attention to details.

Lion heart was disqualified for being a predominantly English movie and therefore didn't qualify for a foreign language category which is expected be predominantly non English speaking movie..........and you're here suggesting another English movie, how does it solve the problem?

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by melexchi(m): 11:17am On Nov 05, 2019
why will you use English when we have Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa i support the ban the movie is not fit for an Oscar award
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Gudiza(m): 11:20am On Nov 05, 2019
ooh.... the irony of being disqualified by Native English speakers for being too 'english' in a clearly foreign category, then this one trying to justify it that Nigeria is an 'english' speaking country. you get sense at all? They are even trying to help you promote the culture you say you're proud of.
Secondly, the english you claim is not even recognised as English and that's why you're required to take IELTS that your people rush at every opportunity and always score below average.
Thirdly, learn to follow rules. Sentiments just made you expose your illiteracy to the whole world. before you know it some idiotic fan in their usual way would ask all followers to 'bomb' Oscars twitter handle with useless rants. SMH
Lastly, I watch chinese, russian, spanish movies all the time with subtitle so what's the deal? Step up your dull production and people will watch, thats all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by MexManuel(m): 11:22am On Nov 05, 2019
Threebear:

Place it side by side with other movies submitted for best foreign language and it looks extremely bland .

The requirement for the category has always been clear ....best FOREIGN language .

A lot of countries are multi lingual but still manage to showcase their cultures and primary language.

Is French the primary language of French speaking African country.
So if a Senegalese movie done in French eventually wins the award, does it mean they represented their language and culture more than Lionheart did?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by IJEYdiamond(f): 11:27am On Nov 05, 2019
Newboss:
Madam, stop talking nonsense. Pidgin is what connects all Nigerians, not English language.

So na English that conductor over there dey speak, abi?

Hmmm... a point though.. would it have been better with that??
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Neddstark: 11:34am On Nov 05, 2019
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by MikkySexy23(m): 11:36am On Nov 05, 2019
Threebear:

I wonder why Genevieve is sensationalizing this story. These folks have requirements and we have seen loads of Nigerian filmmakers put their own films on foreign pedestals like Cannes, Toronto Film Awards in the 'right' category speaking the 'right' language...You are contesting a 'foreign' film category
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Ginaz(f): 11:41am On Nov 05, 2019
But let truth be told . The movie is so boring and overrated. I only watched it once and deleted it off my phone . It lacks depth and points , I mean, what was she trying to promote? Her father’s business or her ordeal dealing with the company? ? It lacks depth

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Wildngent: 11:43am On Nov 05, 2019
Generalwoodz:
The Movie should've been 94mins igbo and 12MINS English.

She knew the rules,
Why is she now crying foul play and sounding so pitable?

Except you’re Igbo or some how accustomed to it’s tradition. Why would you go to see a movie that has its recordings 94Mins Igbo and 12Mins English? Even if a catchy and well publicized trailer was put out, recordings translated,the resulting viewership would predominantly be of the Igbo extraction and little or non-existent viewers from other tribes.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Wildngent: 11:46am On Nov 05, 2019
Ginaz:
But let truth be told . The movie is so boring and overrated. I only watched it once and deleted it off my phone . It lacks depth and points , I mean, what was she trying to promote? Her father’s business or her ordeal dealing with the company? ? It lacks depth

My thoughts too. No intriguing twists, Suspense. Bland overall.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by MyOleSolksjaer: 11:53am On Nov 05, 2019
Them don fall Igbo Amaka hand again?

King of Boys all day man. South West makes better movies than these flat headed IPOB pigs.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by matkid(m): 11:58am On Nov 05, 2019
creepsyme:
Jealousy and hate is the last class you will attend before you become a full blown witch. May your efforts in life never see daylight.
amen
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by DechOfficial: 12:03pm On Nov 05, 2019
Threebear:

so whats ur conclusion? Alot of countries are multi lingual yet they have an official language, English is Nigeria's official language.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Beat123(f): 12:12pm On Nov 05, 2019
Kanade21:

Would you watch an Igbo movie if there were English subtitles?

I myself have watched and enjoyed foreign films subtitled in English.
id feel left out!

We have to be united.

If it’s a trending movie, I will.

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by hollowpot15684(m): 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2019
peeps4u:

Una no dey read, it is our problems in Nigeria; no attention to details.

Lion heart was disqualified for being a predominantly English movie and therefore didn't qualify for a foreign language category which is expected be predominantly non English speaking movie..........and you're here suggesting another English movie, how does it solve the problem?

There are different categories of contributors on forums like Nairaland.

There are some who would give opinions about the topic and there are some who would give opinion that expands the topic.

Obviously i only make an expansive contribution that deviate attention to the fact that King of Boys would stand a better chance to perform better at any International recognition than Lionheart.

OSCAR or Not, there are worthwhile movies that are better than Lionheart. wink

And you should know that this is my opinion.

As far as you are concerned, that may not be the point of this topic, but as far as i'm concerned that is a take home point for you and every other person who saw my comment.

My advise to you is, learn to communicate properly without been provoked especially in conversations like this one where provocation is not really needed.

That is what communicators refer to as 'Absence of Emotional Intelligence'.

I hope i am communicating to somebody? angry
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by creepsyme(f): 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2019
Confirmedzombie:

Back sender
Amen
There you go again.... Now your Amen goes to your initial post.... I tell you untill you repent of your statement it stands. So shall it be to you. Amen and Amen. I hate nonsense. I am already fortified!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Thegamingorca(m): 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2019
The ategory is for films made outside USA that did not use English.

Since you used english couldn't you apply under another genre.

See how Genevieve is feeling entitled rubbish
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by connkg(m): 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2019
I do remember that a lot of those who commented after "Lionheart" premiered said that the movie had too much Igbo language (not culture).
I am not sure if 12minutes covers scenes between the protagonist and her Uncle, that of dining together with relatives or the Hausa bit. It appears the 12minutes do not cover monologues, proverbs or non-protagonist statements.
Great movie! The English in it will sell the movie more, just watch.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts by Confirmedzombie: 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2019
creepsyme:
There you go again.... Now your Amen goes to your initial post.... I tell you untill you repent of your statement it stands. So shall it be to you. Amen and Amen. I hate nonsense. I am already fortified!

In the resurrection power of Jesus christ, I rebuke you now and forever more.

Thou lion of the tribe of judah, consume you now in the mighty name of Jesus
Amen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: See How Nigerians Voted Their Favorite Housemates / TSTV Responds To Bein Sports Removal From Their Satellite TV / Where To Download Tv Series With English Subtitles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.