Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,777 members, 7,851,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:06 AM

Our Governors Are To Blame - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Governors Are To Blame (546 Views)

Do Children Of Our Governors\sentors Attend Nigerian Institutions Hv U Seen Any? / CBN Confirms That SW APC Governors Are Leading Cause Of Recession / Governors Are Importing Illegal Arms With Private-Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Governors Are To Blame by MShittu: 4:31am On Nov 15, 2010
One thing I've noticed here on Nairaland is that we like to criticize our Federal Government for all our ills. The Nigerian presidential elections are, indeed, the most closely observed and the Nigerian Federal Government does possess a large amount of executive power, but what I believe is that our governors, state senators and LGA chairmen should be the ones to blame for our current problems. I believe that one only needs to look to states such as Edo and Lagos to see the kinds of positive changes good governors can make to an entire state's infrastructure and to states such as Jigawa, which the world bank recently lauded for economic reforms that make it extremely easy for individuals to set up and run small to medium sized companies in the state, stating that if Jigawa's reforms were initiated nationwise, Nigeria would be 52 places higher than it currently is on the World Bank's ease of doing business report (http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5641887-147/odds_against_doing_business_in_nigeria.csp). While the presidency is an extremely important seat, I believe that we should begin to direct some of our focus to our state governors, as they possess the executive power to turn our country around for ever.
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by ogb5(m): 12:36pm On Nov 15, 2010
Can you tell me of any country where development has been spearheaded by the governors with those at the federal level sleeping?
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by MShittu: 12:46pm On Nov 15, 2010
ogb5:

Can you tell me of any country where development has been spearheaded by the governors with those at the federal level sleeping?
Lagos, Edo and Jigawa, all examples I had in my first post, have been doing so, with Lagos and Edo fixing up state infrastructure and with Jigawa relaxing state economic policies to allow small businesses to thrive more
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by ogb5(m): 6:17pm On Nov 15, 2010
MShittu:

Lagos, Edo and Jigawa, all examples I had in my first post, have been doing so, with Lagos and Edo fixing up state infrastructure and with Jigawa relaxing state economic policies to allow small businesses to thrive more

I asked which country? not state. Maybe I should repeat the question. Which country in the world do you consttuent states driving development policies.
People are calling on states because the federal level has simply refused to do their duties and are using federal might to bully states into doing federal responsibilities.

What you people fail to realise is that what the federal govt can achieve in 1 year will take states donkey years to achieve.

An example is GSM coverage, How long do you think states govs would have required to license gsm operators to cover the 36 states. The federal govt made over 1 billion dollars just to license the GSM operators. Just by creating the policy that alllowed private investment in telecoms.

On power for example, the federal govt can also make money easily by creating a policy that allows private investment in power at a profit to the investors. No state gov can do that.

What you see in Lagos, edo and the other states you count a mere cosmetic development to woo electorates and solicit praise.
How does the development affect the the living standards of the people in those states.

Development is and will always be driven by good and consistent economic policies at the federal level
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by kcjazz(m): 7:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
^^^ Is the state not an extension of the federal government? What I believe the poster is saying is the governors have to share blame in the way things have turned out in their states. An example is the Doing Business report 2010, I expect Abia and Anambra to be at the top five on that list. However, the bureaucracy in their systems are not conducive for business. Don't forget that the Lagos or Jigawa of today were once governed by others in the past and we know the results.

Agreed, the Federal government has a role to play, so are the state and local governments.
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by Nsiman(m): 8:39pm On Nov 15, 2010
The governors and the electorate, where do supremacy lie? I blame the electorates because instead of holding the governors to account on their stewardship, they will start praise singing just to have a peanut.
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by Nsiman(m): 8:39pm On Nov 15, 2010
The governors and the electorate, where do supremacy lie? I blame the electorates because instead of holding the governors to account on their stewardship, they will start praise singing just to have a peanut.
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by amazonia(m): 11:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
That is were education of the people should
be an on-going thing. People need to be
empowered with knowledge, Know these people work for you.
Demand accountability. Praise when due.
Re: Our Governors Are To Blame by mensdept: 1:49am On Nov 16, 2010
@ poster

Great debate. Tired of reading about Igbo this, Yoruba that, Awolowo this, Emeagwali this. NONSENSE

The governors, state assembly, LGA chairmen (do we still have them?) are all to be held accountable. Because those at the fed level are fools, doesnt mean the local authorities should be fools, and in general, Naija people at large.

So yes, TODAY, what are YOUR governors and assemblymen doing in YOUR state, as opposed to history thesis on 9ja

(1) (Reply)

As Jtf Shuts Down 14 Camps… Jonathan: Game Over For Niger Delta Militants / Atiku As Northern Consensus Candidate: What Is Your View? / Should Nigeria Copy The Democracies Of Other Countries?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.