Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React (36717 Views)

Shehu Sani Reacts To Disqualification Of 'Lionheart' By Oscar / Genevieve Nnaji’s 'Lionheart' Disqualified By Oscar Over Language, She Reacts / Nigerians React As Genevieve Nnaji LIONHEART Shows On Netflix. Trends On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Isoduwa(m): 2:02pm On Nov 05, 2019
Lionkidney my yansh hahaha Buhari is working
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by bikerboy1(m): 2:04pm On Nov 05, 2019
Ebus12:
It isn't too surprising that lion heart was disqualified

The hype on that movie was too high but the content was way lower than what we expected

I couldn't understand the direction and meaning of the movie till it ended
The likes of Pete edochie, phyno, rudeboy and others was just what attracted me to the film

But I sincerely regretted the 2 hours I wasted watching that trash

Try again Next Genevive

You're on point. I was disappointed as well.

Too much hype

4 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by pacespot(m): 2:08pm On Nov 05, 2019
Ebus12:

The hype on that movie was too high but the content was way lower than what we expected

The likes of Pete edochie, phyno, rudeboy and others was just what attracted me to the film

Try again Next Genevive

I tell you, l forced myself to watch the movie because of the hype, I couldn't cope or enjoy any part of it, I had to port my TV to other channels. The movie was trying to portray the era of neo-collonial Africa, that is the period post-independence, looking at the background setup and the accent of the actors: how they speak English. The movie that was trying to showcase the cultures and ideal African society like that outght to have deemphasized on foreign language. Even if they were to use English, it would just be for exclamations or to lay emphasis.

4 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Dedetwo(m): 2:10pm On Nov 05, 2019
It is completely unfortunate that dumbass Africans have not realized that liberal wings in USA and EU societies do not have soft and appreciative feelings for Africans. From their idiotic Oscar to moronic Nobel Prize are geared towards creating wedges among sentimentally drunk Africans who often laugh at their own idiocy . Sometimes these jackasses from USA and EU include Africans in their frictional stupidity for mere mockery or in continuation of their colonial benevolence. These conniving liberal wings in USA and EU societies will never accept any hardworking or freethinking African who is able and willing to oppose their idiotic political and social shenanigans. They only seemed to appreciate Africans whom they can turn into lap dogs.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Americanboy35: 2:12pm On Nov 05, 2019
ShawtCake:
That movie is not worth an Oscar in the first place! Totally over hyped. Phyno was just doing like mumu. Genevieve was in my face from the beginning to the end.. Na she be Producer, Director and lead actor. Haba! Honestly, when I first saw Osuofia, I thought; mehn! I'm about to have a good laugh. I was so dissapointed.. I have deleted it sef.
What role did phyno played there? She should have handed another actor the lead role
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by friendlyadvice: 2:12pm On Nov 05, 2019
grin make una dey deceive am, no tell am say e film no good

7 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by friendlyadvice: 2:12pm On Nov 05, 2019
Americanboy35:

What role did phyno played there?
gbagaun

2 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by heartofcity12: 2:12pm On Nov 05, 2019
Movie is over rated af! Movie is basically about the challenges of a family who run a transport firm and how they recovered from it. Story isn’t deep enough jor! not Oscar worthy, sorry..She can do better.

9 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Dedetwo(m): 2:13pm On Nov 05, 2019
ShawtCake:
That movie is not worth an Oscar in the first place! Totally over hyped. Phyno was just doing like mumu. Genevieve was in my face from the beginning to the end.. Na she be Producer, Director and lead actor. Haba! Honestly, when I first saw Osuofia, I thought; mehn! I'm about to have a good laugh. I was so dissapointed.. I have deleted it sef.

A rant from a typical misguided African. To hell with your Oscar.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Lovelypet28: 2:15pm On Nov 05, 2019
Awon yeye,mediocre movie with all too familiar story line,not fit for even a nomination.Anyways we dont need validation from white people,she try.

2 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Skyfornia(m): 2:16pm On Nov 05, 2019
Beckysexy:
Still haven't watched it yet ,but I'll watch it soon
I hope it worth the hype

Come and watch it in my house...I have a bottle of red wine and will definitely order some catfish peppersoup to augment the wine.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by pompido: 2:17pm On Nov 05, 2019
How a movie can be submitted for an award without reading the qualifying requirements clearly is something only a Nigerian will do and then raise all hell when rejected.

A simple check on the Oscars' website will give a summary of the qualification requirements..

The Foreign Language Film category name has been changed to International Feature Film.

“We have noted that the reference to ‘Foreign’ is outdated within the global filmmaking community,” commented Larry Karaszewski and Diane Weyermann, co-chairs of the International Feature Film Committee. “We believe that International Feature Film better represents this category, and promotes a positive and inclusive view of filmmaking, and the art of film as a universal experience.”

The category name change does not change any existing category rules, the submission process, or eligibility requirements. An international feature film is defined as a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States of America with a predominantly non-English dialogue track. Animated and documentary feature films are permitted. Only one film is accepted from each country as the official selection.

In addition, the shortlist for the International Feature Film award is expanding to ten films; seven to be chosen by the Phase I International Feature Film Committee, and the additional three to be voted by the International Feature Film Award Executive Committee.

Source: https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-announces-rules-92nd-oscars

May God save us from ignorance. cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 05, 2019
Why pick lion heart over king of boys I kept saying it

4 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Americanboy35: 2:23pm On Nov 05, 2019
friendlyadvice:

gbagaun
You no well grin
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by kenir(m): 2:26pm On Nov 05, 2019
ShawtCake:
na nonsense film. But people won't say the truth as usual..
buh d truth must be told!

the movie was everything buh award worthy

iwobi is overhyped

iheanacho? God help us cheesy

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by pompido: 2:27pm On Nov 05, 2019
pickatyou:
Why pick lion heart over king of boys I kept saying it

They don't pick. It is the responsibility of the movie producers/owners to submit their movies for awards. It is from the bunch submitted that any that qualifies (highest qualification ranking) would then be nominated and announced.

None of the ''Nigerian blockbusters'' would qualify based on the language requirement so the onus falls on the indigenous movie producers (Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba or even Pidgin) to make a solid one and submit for awards consideration

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 05, 2019
pompido:

They don't pick. It is the responsibility of the movie producers/owners to submit their movies for awards. It is from the bunch submitted that any that qualifies (highest qualification ranking) would then be nominated and announced.

None of the ''Nigerian blockbusters'' would qualify based on the language requirement so the onus falls on the indigenous movie producers (Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba or even Pidgin) to make a solid one and submit for awards consideration

Thanks for the information
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by TheTourist: 2:30pm On Nov 05, 2019
Na Buhari cause this thing.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by friendlyadvice: 2:30pm On Nov 05, 2019
Americanboy35:

You no well grin
cool

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Pinkie2018(f): 2:35pm On Nov 05, 2019
I slept, reslept, dozed redozed yet I didn't finish the movie. So boring and without a good storyline. Genevieve wore the same cloths to work everyday. Quack I'm sorry

10 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by nativedoctor(m): 2:36pm On Nov 05, 2019
King of boys would have done a lot better.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Dicktionary: 2:43pm On Nov 05, 2019
It is so Unfortunate that Negros, like seeking for their Colonial Slave Masters Validation, before having the feeling, that they have done something Bon.
Come On Afrikaana, this is 2019!
@Genevievennaji has done something Fabulous and wundabar, She don't need a Slave master Round of applause to feel accomplished.
The only OSCAR I know is a Brazilian Soccer player. smh

3 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by igwejay: 2:44pm On Nov 05, 2019
Same thought as mine

Ebus12:

Try again Next Genevive

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by ajl: 2:45pm On Nov 05, 2019
Lesson 1- Stay true to yourself and culture.

Lessin 2- Oscar is not setup for your kind.

Lesson 3- You don't need external validation if the quality of your work or movie is good.

Stupid Africans all these things (award, etc) are there to maintain their domination over you. Worse part is you can't even come up with a quality movie in your own language. Too many Koons in Nigeria.
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 05, 2019
Beckysexy:
I hope it worth the hype
Same here... lets see it together kiss
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Dicktionary: 2:49pm On Nov 05, 2019
It is so Unfortunate that Negros, like seeking for their Colonial Slave Masters Bestatigung, before having the envince, that they have done something Bon.
Come On Afrikaana, this is 2019!
@Genevievennaji has done something Fabulous and wundabar, She don't need a Slave master Round of applause to feel accomplished.
The only OSCAR I know is a Brazilian Soccer player. smh
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by happney65: 2:51pm On Nov 05, 2019
newsynews:

Nigerians should stop whining like lost puppies. The name of the category changed but not the rules. What the rule is posed to do is to ensure foreign movies are done in the language of the country where they're from.

Yes, we speak English in Nigeria, but it is not an Indigenous language. If English speaking movies from foreign countries were to be considered, then the competition would become too stiff for Hollywood. They wouldn't want that.

You dey mind them nii..No wonder Buhari is our president..

cc BitmapStudios
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 05, 2019
Beckysexy:
I hope it worth the hype
Don't waste your time, it's a trash. She should even be happy it was at least considered for OSCAR'S. Africans celebrating mediocrities since time immemorial! cool cool

1 Like

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by LZAA: 2:52pm On Nov 05, 2019
YorubaPrince:
I've always said it over and over again. 90% of Igbos carry English language for head like gala and they've lost their indigenous cultural values. How many Igbos bear English names out of shame for their own indigenous Igbo names? How many Igbo movies are out there?

They think speaking English equates sophistication. They claim they're Nollywood while they refer to Yoruba movies as Yorubawood. Rubbish!

Although, majority of Nigerian movies are trash but, at least, the Yoruba movies are recognized as the real Nollywood to the international community as it's indigenous! cool

Btw... the movie is too overrated!
Err mr clown
We speak our traditional language and u would know this if u travel outside osogbo
Also your yorubawood is a byproduct of nollywood created by okey and ken nnebue but yeah keep hating while a yoruba boy called Ramsey nnouah is remaking living in bondage
U see d tin about hate is that it makes u blind
Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by ajl: 3:00pm On Nov 05, 2019
LZAA:

Err mr clown
We speak our traditional language and u would know this if u travel outside osogbo
Also your yorubawood is a byproduct of nollywood created by okey and ken nnebue but yeah keep hating while a yoruba boy called Ramsey nnouah is remaking living in bondage
U see d tin about hate is that it makes u blind

Eh! See this one. Yoruba movies existed before anyone even dreamt of Nollywood. How old are you. I watched a Yoruba movies twice at cinema houses in the early 80s. An Ogunde movie at the National Theater and Adelove movie (with Papiluwe as main character) at the Glover Memorial Hall on Lagos Island. It used to be on a road off-Marina Street back in the days. Those were original Yoruba movies with great storylines with great quality than what we have now. Do you even know Ogunde, Adelove? Or is it Feyikogbon series we used to watch every Sunday.

There was also a very popular cinema house on Broad Street back then, not far from Shell building. I think it was called Sheila Cinema. I remember watching a Chinese movie there with an uncle.

Point is there used to be a Cinema culture back in the days especially in Lagos and Yoruba movies were part of the attractions. Those movie houses simply disappeared one after another.

10 Likes

Re: 'Lionheart' Oscar Disqualification: Victoria Kimani, Ebuka, Dotun, Deyemi React by akdjr(m): 3:01pm On Nov 05, 2019
I don't just know why I don't watch movies. I remember watching Black Panther last month and I ask myself is this what people where busy going to Cinema to watch?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Mercy And Tacha Receive A Strike From Biggie / BBNaija: Housemates Serving Their Punishments (Video) / MMM Vs Ultimate Cycler Nollywood Movie (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.