Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,105 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

"Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert (22027 Views)

Couple Files $650,000 Suit Against Their Son For Not Giving Them Grandchildren / My Brother On Hard Drugs: 18 Years Of Pains And Sorrow. I Need Help! / Unmarried, Childless Women Are Happiest People Of All, Says Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by crackhaus: 8:47pm On Nov 07, 2019
LZAA:

Our grandparents and parents rocked bellbottoms and used gramophones
Things evolve
And there ain't nothing wrong with reading online
Ur work situation determines your social habits
You're probably going to need an eye exam very soon if you continue.
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by LZAA: 8:51pm On Nov 07, 2019
crackhaus:

You're probably going to need an eye exam very soon if you continue.
You and me both cuz well..we are reading online grin
Nah for real work habits
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 07, 2019
Ishilove:

Uncle is VERY smart. You should harness it wink
Thanks Dear. We'd better. I'm shaa still figuring out things and hoping not to make any serious mistakes with his upbringing.
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by FindingNigeria: 8:53pm On Nov 07, 2019
As a parent that does not flog, withdrawing my daughter's tablet is a better way of punishing her. It works.

If they dont own tabs, then I wont be able to take advantage of the corrective potentials of owning a tablet.

Secondly, all my kids do on their tabs are youtube day and night.

Everything they know today is from youtube, save for writing which they do in class.

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:56pm On Nov 07, 2019
badmrkt:
Same thing with my little nephew. Dude won't eat until phone is given to him. He smashed my phone few months back outta anger.

Terrible.

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by babyfaceafrica: 9:02pm On Nov 07, 2019
FrLukas:

A 12 y/o is not and can not be an adult no matter how woke they are.
fact!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Omoluabi16(m): 9:13pm On Nov 07, 2019
Ishilove:
Aunty computergeek, you're a great writer. You should consider writing short stories.
And you too. I saw your short narration about your phobia for mathematics and it was very very funny. The travails of ishilove and mathematics.

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 07, 2019
Give your kid a pc or any tech device and restrict internet completely, in about 6 months they will most definitely know every nook and cranny of the device..

Na internet gan gan be the problem, make dem watch cartoons on TV to relax.

5 Likes

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Godhatesodomy: 9:18pm On Nov 07, 2019
Wow he is right.

Smart technology dulls the mind.
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Amanda4life: 9:19pm On Nov 07, 2019
Even at 18 phone is distracting

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Amanda4life: 9:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
crackhaus:

I actually dabbled into this one time with the presumption that it was a good alternative in making out time to read on-the-go. It wasn't very long before I realized that I had never finished any book I have on pdf, not one, yet I had done cover-to-cover more than once on some of my hard-copy books.

Try out the library thing, you don't necessarily have to build a shelf or dedicate a space yet - that's putting the cart before the horse.
Just buying a book whenever you see one that catches your fancy is a great idea and before you know it, you're having so much that you will need a shelf for them.

Kids who see their parents doing more reading than texting/watching TV subconsciously begin taking after them, it's an acquired habit.

OK.thanks.

If we really want the best for our children. We new to change some life style

2 Likes

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 07, 2019
To all those screaming about the advantages of mobile phones to developing the minds of the next generation, may I remind y'all that mobile phones and technology isn't really making us all smarter, its rather making us the more duller in exponential proportions from the millennia generation to the gen z .. There's every indication that with all the ICT we have come to posses in these days and time we are actually retrogressing on the intelligence continuum and becoming more sensitive, but becoming less emotionally intelligent.. Please understand that the less screen time used the better 4 all individuals..

4 Likes

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Bbbwings: 9:30pm On Nov 07, 2019
Shibaraba:
Totally agree...
But my son throw tantrums? Nah
My eyes alone fixed on him will make him behave
If he doesn't concur small igbarun issa goal
Hard reset

Even the smart tabs sef gaan I no give again
Good old books men.
Buy board
Buy marker
Buy rubic cube
Buy toys
Buy legos

It makes them smart.
My three year old son can solve the rubic cube in a few hours. Something I haven't managed to do all my life
Video of him doing it
Or idonbelieveit

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 07, 2019
caleb404:
On the contrary Mobile/smartphones has greatly enhanced my son's learning.

He watches educational stuffs on them. Aided a lot in the recitation and pronunciation of alpha-numerics, and more importantly engages him.

There are pros and cons to everything. However, you have to realise the Nigeria of today is not easy as it was years ago when our parents raised us. Daddy's wages was probably enough to cater for the family. Now we all hustle, I have my business and my wife has hers. So there's hardly time to do some home-tutoring, apart from the basics of course.

This change of work and hustle scenario has already impeded the parental learning our kids should have derived from us.

Good enough there are loads of stuffs our kids can learn with smartphones. Just program it to only YouTube KIDS. And predownload the content you want your kids to see. After that disconnect from the internet. Such a way they won't be able to download unnecessary stuffs.

On another hand, whilst our mates as kids in developed countries were playing with computer, we were learning how to label all the parts of cockroaches and mosquitoes. Now while our mates can play with micro chips and softwares and all other tech stuffs, we're still in the analogue life.

Don't teach your kids the way your parents taught you. Life already passed that stage.
At best you will raise a very smart polymath at worst he would be disinterested in conventional society and all its stringent rules.. Best option is to try and relocate your child to a liberal society where such high level stud and advancement are rewarded... The disadvantage with advancing kids with new technology is the ease with which boredom easily becomes a Norma aspect of their life there

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by meme98: 9:41pm On Nov 07, 2019
Wat about cartoon?
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 07, 2019
Mrpsly247:
To all those screaming about the advantages of mobile phones to developing the minds of the next generation, may I remind y'all that mobile phones and technology isn't really making us all smarter, its rather making us the more duller in exponential proportions from the millennia generation to the gen z .. There's every indication that with all the ICT we have come to posses in these days and time we are actually retrogressing on the intelligence continuum and becoming more sensitive, but becoming less emotionally intelligent.. Please understand that the less screen time used the better 4 all individuals..
Don't mind them. They think that once you hand a child a phone, he'll magically become a tech guru.

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 07, 2019
Amanda4life:
Even at 18 phone is distracting
My dear... Very distracting. With the advent of social media, controlling one's smartphone usage is easier said than done.

Nairaland alone na wa

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by busiyoung: 9:54pm On Nov 07, 2019
computergeek:
Nah not until 18. At least 13.

until 18 is okay am talking from experience..13 is too low
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Frvncis(m): 10:04pm On Nov 07, 2019
Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by realestniggah: 10:12pm On Nov 07, 2019
idesylvester:
I also agree till they're 18 of age, but remember you have a big tax ahead

18 years is too much Atleast 14
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by idesylvester(m): 10:14pm On Nov 07, 2019
realestniggah:

18 years is too much Atleast 14
I'm even tired self
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 07, 2019
Bbbwings:

Video of him doing it
Or idonbelieveit
Video ko audio ni. Don't believe it o. Believe it o. Doesn't add a dollar to my pocket

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by AMvanquish: 12:02am On Nov 08, 2019
See sensible post.. I'm guilty of this and I would avoid giving my kid my phones again. Thanks.. Lesson learnt...

1 Like

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 08, 2019
Mrpsly247:

I am an engineer. I used tee squares in university. Today i do all my design with AutoCAD. Meanwhile autocad itself can be said to be outdated as most people are moving towards him

I remember during my interview years ago where my then HOd said we don’t use software in this office for design. Later I was the one who introduced 3D conceptialization that became the standard for presenting projects.

We will evolve and old skills will become obsolete. If you are an early adopter in the right time you can boost your career and future. It is more of managing what your kids do. You know scratch, the app for training kids in programming? It’s on android and iOS.
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Larrykaysail(m): 5:58am On Nov 08, 2019
computergeek:
When most people hear the word addiction, they think narcotics, sex, gambling and outright vices.

However, an addiction is basically compulsive engagement in an activity for rewarding stimuli despite the adverse consequences.

All addictions work the same way. Cocaine works by flooding your brain's pleasure centers with dopamine, a happy hormone and stimulating a sense of false euphoria. When you pick up your phone to watch IG videos 100 times a day, you're stimulating the same reaction.

Smartphones aren't outrightly harmful like narcotics (although they emit radioactive energy that may be harmful in the long run), but for toddlers, they are easily destructive.

Most parents are in the habit of giving their little children smart phones to keep them busy or occupied. You're training that child in such a way that when you take away the phone, they spiral into withdrawal and begin to lash out.

According to top addiction expert and researcher Mandy Salagri, giving your child a smartphone is like "giving the a gram of coke."

I'm a digital person and I love tech gadgets. I'm not against children using tech devices but you see smartphones can be really destructive parenting.

I know this because, I'm guilty of it.

When my son was about a year and six months old, I started giving him my phone to keep him distracted when I was busy. He was always crawling all over me, seeking attention and it really slowed me down. He became so addicted to phones that by the time he was two, uncle will not eat or poop or do anything without a smartphone.

He'd download all the games in the world and play all day long. I guess he was watching me the few times I used the phone to go to playstore Games section to download ABCD games for him (and he never liked those ones). Sometimes I'll be hearing gunshots coming the phone. Na the kind violent game he dey play. I remember the day my father-in-law came over unannounced to see his grandson. He saw this boy sitting on his pottie, pooping while totally engrossed in his father's phone. Grandpa had to scream his name several times before he looked up.

You need to see the scolding my husband and I received that day for being irresponsible parents grin

Another incident was when we went to my friend's child dedication. I brought rice and tried to feed my son but he refused to eat because he was too engrossed in the game he was playing. I took the phone from him and this Uncle launched into a terrible tantrum and seriously embarrassed me there. I had to kuku give it back to him.

Sometimes, he'll go to school and bring back his lunch untouched because there was no phone to press while eating.

When he turned 3, we decided enough was enough. We stopped giving him phones entirely and he only got to use his kiddies tablet a couple of hours a day. The first time I removed a phone from his hand, he cried for hours and refused to eat. I hardened my heart and ignored him. He later came by himself and asked for the food.

He gradually began to get the idea and even his dad stopped giving him phones. He began to read all the children's books we'd been buying for him and he watched cartoons more. After about six months, uncle forgot all about phones and turned over a new leaf.

He's four now and is growing into a responsible kid. He loves story books and can read a book 50 times, memorizing all the words before moving on to another.

I turned my son into a brat because I was raising him with the smartphone distraction strategy. It's more destructive than it may seem. The way little children use phones these days eh, e dey fear me. My friend caught her 7-year-old girl watching p*rn the other day. We no even fit talk sef.

Smartphones won't help your toddlers. Buy them books and kids educational tablets instead. Yes, kids in the modern world are inventing stuff and being innovative because of early exposure to technology, but there are now modern devices that make these things suitable for kids. [s]Even the most renowned tech gurus in the world will restrict their children's internet access and phone usage. A smartphone is not what will make your child become an innovative tech genius. Buy them used, old computers and let them learn how to dismantle and re-assemble. Show them videos of tech guys building stuff on YouTube. Don't give them phones to go and start learning how to snap the perfect snap chat selfies at age 5.[/s]

Follow my latest diary for regular, enticing updates. Chronicles of a Career Mama - In my Feelings:

https://www.nairaland.com/5511482/chronicles-career-mama-feelings
i disagree with you , kids learn online, my 2 years old child can read 1 to 30, and read A to Z, all colours ,shapes and signs, while learning online , THINGS DONT WORK IN NIGERIA
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Rosarie(f): 6:45am On Nov 08, 2019
ABCthings:
I hear let wait for like ten years when your kid will be sixteen. You must complete this love, love story!
why will I not,if I don't love them na u I wan love??
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by delamb01: 6:52am On Nov 08, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Fake News.
I totally I agree with you. How can a child of two download online games? We may have intelligent toddlers but not intelligent enough to download online games at two. Haba! The OP is either making this story up or is over stretching the case and in either case it makes the OP a liar.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 08, 2019
Rosarie:
Madam that is not true,the fact you did not raise your son in his early days does not mean same for everyone.
There is what you call moderations and again parents of these days DO NOT SPANK THEIR KIDS,believe it or not.spanking resets brain.
I am a mother of three girls,
My first is 6 now,I give them phones,educational toys and books,it's all balanced.
I was once a teacher and things I saw in lol kids as young as 4 in Benin shocked me.
I started teaching them sex education at an early age,they use kiddies YouTube when using phone.my daughter of 6 has a Nokia torch light cos I leave them to go out when they are home,
My kids and I are besties.i am plain with my kids,I don't hide the TRUTH ,cos kids of these days it's just God.they mix with class mates and u are not there when they discuss.
my kids has asked me how are kids born I told her vaginal and C's,i told her about period,sex education,I tell them why marriage is scared and your body should be kept,how they can tell me anything, nothing is dirty for me to hear,I encourage them,I spank them lots when necessary,my kids are well co ordinated,I am not boasting cos I see display of kids outside.my kids wake-up and greet good morning ma and good morning sir which a 15 years find difficult To do.
We show them love Welland so they don't go looking for it else where.
There was a cartoon of lady bug,my girl brought it and told me they were kissing which I have told her it was wrong for young people,I was not there.she brought it her self
We gist,we have gone to cold stone and they saw a youngsters feeding themselves ice cream and my kid said daddy those people are playing love,I hope they are married.my dear it is training,discipline,friendship above all prayers.ur son simply got used to always having his way for anything whenever he asked shikena.
Train your kid well and be friends with them
Have a bond.
If my kids bring a birthday pack I give them if I feel like after 3 to four days when they must have forgotten,how many parents do that.onve the kids come the kids will be crying for it,rubbish!when u are not hungry.they know me they just keep it in the fridge.if after some days I forgot they seek permission.
Tell the truth,let them know u love them unconditionally hug them,show them love,love,love,allow them to be expressive no matter how tired u feel else when the bigger things come they will not tell u,have conversations with them.my dear when they grow the kids themselves will not want to disappoint you cos they know you are proud of them.they know Ur sacrifices .never make them less inferior,compare them or use insultive words.raise Ur kid right

You said it all. You're just like my mum.
At a very well tender age of 4, 6 my mum educated us about sex and to stay away from men and it really helped us to a large extent. She was very close to us and told us things. She also disciplines us when there's need. Thats the kind of person I am too.
I'm a phonetic teacher and so one day I was teaching the basic 4 and 5 pupils that the pass tense of kiss is pronounced /kist/ and these children started saying .."hm..hm hm" as the boys were looking at the girls..I immediately changed am for them like what's wrong with all of you? Right there I quickly gave a short lecture about it and moved on with my topic. Their class teacher was shifting uncomfortablly on his chair, I no send. Like seriously why hide sex education from them at that age and at the mention of such words they were forming taboo..

So me, that is how I'll train my own children. No mumu pampering like most annoying parents do these days. A child will cry, theyll surrender all to the child kaaaii.. That pikin go ask "na my mama be this"?

3 Likes

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by tck2000(m): 7:25am On Nov 08, 2019
Saintbusco1:
You want your kid to be smart but you don't want to give him smartphone
lol
Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Duggedised12(f): 7:38am On Nov 08, 2019
The summary of it all is "electronic babysitters". We have now gotten to a stage where we now allow the internet to raise our children ,even first world countries have already detected this problem.

There is this myth that a quiet Child is a good child so we do all we can to keep them distracted even if it is to put them infront of a screen. Children are supposed to be learning how to interact and grow emotional intelligence which can never be taught on the internet but people dont know that.

Social media is here to stay, but do we know how to navigate it and balance it so the scale doesn't tilt towards the bad? A child that has not learned how to speak or hold a pen but can navigate all the corners of a phone and the worse part is parents show off with it ,oh i can afford to buy my kid an ipad ,well good for you. Lol. Anxiety, stress and depression is already being associated with high SM users due to virtual reality portrayed on apps like IG and Facebook to think many kids are being exposed to this without parental control and regulation is alarming . I hope people take this seriously and the mods occasionally puts this on fp as a reminder .

2 Likes

Re: "Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 08, 2019
delamb01:

I totally I agree with you. How can a child of two download online games? We may have intelligent toddlers but not intelligent enough to download online games at two. Haba! The OP is either making this story up or is over stretching the case and in either case it makes the OP a liar.
Don't believe it na. Doesn't make me richer or poorer and I couldn't give a crap. So you an precisionFX abi wetin think it's everyone that has the mind to conjure false stories online?

Anyway, get the msg and disbelieve the story. Nobody gives a split f*ck...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should I End My Marriage / Court dissolves Five Year-old Marriage Over Husband’s Impotence / A Baby Girl,she Is Just A Week Old.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.