Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria (1089 Views)

Sense Of Entitlement Syndrome In Nigeria Too Much – Ngige / My Peter Obi: My 2 Sons Don't Have A Car, They Don't Have Money To Buy One / Vote Buying: Jonathan "Oshiomhole Suffering From Multiple Personality Syndrome" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:57pm On Nov 05, 2019
Pls Mods, i don't know what section to put this, so be free to move to the appropriate category.

I'm sure you guys have noticed a trend in the last decade and this trend keeps getting worse by the day.

I think it started with bus conductors always asking to make sure you have change before you enter the bus. In Lagos, they'll tell you "Wole pelu change ee" which translates to 'Enter with your change'.

I have been experiencing this with bus conductors in the past and it did not get to me as much as it is recently because even private organizations have joined the trend. Infact, everyone has joined.

It's no longer enough that you have money to pay for a service or buy a product, you now need to have change before you can be attended to.

This brings me to the question:

Have we become lazy as Nigerians?

In the past, all you needed to do was to pay for a service and whoever in charge will move to the end of the world to look for change. But these days, the laziness is appalling to say the least.

How will a business rather not sell an item because there's no change. if this isn't laziness, i don't know what is.

What do you guys think?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by GOFRONT(m): 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2019
They have the change.....They only prefer to keep them against tomorrow....

If na lie I talk, ask those ladies wen dey sell provision for Sango tedo market.

1 Like

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by nlPoster: 6:08pm On Nov 05, 2019
Just hold your change if they ask you to do so.

It's not hard.

If you don't like the idea, then avoid any place that requires you to have exact change.

Why exactly are we discussing this?
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by oz4real83(m): 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2019
What I do most times is to tell the conductor/driver exactly the naira denomination I have. I sound it loud and clear for everyone to hear. If he says I should board, I board. It shouldn't be rush-hour though else you will stranded.
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Staro: 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2019
OP, the right place for this topic is the Business Forum.

This very bad habit is common among Yoruba traders in Lagos (Excluding Yorubas in Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Osun and Ekiti).
Ibo traders in Lagos will hardly turn you back because of change.

You approach a Yoruba woman in Lagos' shop and the attacking question you get is "what do you want"?
(or " ki le fe?" ).
Seriously, this question disgust me, especially the English version.
I could tolerate "ki le fe" but I fire back immediately when they ask me "what do you want"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Staro: 6:43pm On Nov 05, 2019
Good observation
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Hofbrauhaus(m): 6:49pm On Nov 05, 2019
All these zombies...when people hear you hailing Buhari one would think you zombs have atleast 4cars..

So you jump from one bus to another bus, fight with conductors and still hail Buhari? Tufiakwa. What a curse!
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by LabDNA: 6:53pm On Nov 05, 2019
Whenever I decide to enter a public bus, even if the conductor shouts 'enter with your change', I'll still enter with my N1000 or N500. It is his responsibility to have change not me. Ofcourse they usually lament when I bring out the money to pay but I just keep shut or tell them politely that I have no other money. I never argue with them. One way or the other, they end up giving me my full change/balance or forfeit their own money.

Having money should make thing easier for me not harder.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by LabDNA: 6:58pm On Nov 05, 2019
Staro:

This very bad habit is common among Yoruba traders in Lagos (Excluding Yorubas in Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Osun and Ekiti).

You approach a Yoruba woman in Lagos' shop and the attacking question you get is "what do you want"?
(or " ki le fe?" ).
I could tolerate "ki le fe" but I fire back immediately when they ask me "what do you want"

You are very right
Yoruba women traders should stop using the phrase 'ki le fe' (what do you want). It makes the customer look like a thief who is being challenged.

4 Likes

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by egopersonified(f): 7:21pm On Nov 05, 2019
It might be a result of atm dispensing N500 and N1,000 notes. I change between N10,000 to N40,000 every week from the banks to have change in my shops so we don't go asking for change from other businesses around us.

1 Like

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by mrvitalis(m): 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2019
Staro:

(or " ki le fe?" ).

Thats the major difference I notice between Igbo traders n others ...they go out to look for the change ...so get change from banks
50 ,100,200 ,naira notes

1 Like

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Monogamy: 7:27pm On Nov 05, 2019
Average Nigerians are opportunist. They dont believe in long term business relationship
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by nlPoster: 7:38pm On Nov 05, 2019
Hofbrauhaus:
one would think you zombs have atleast 1 or 10 cars..

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Konquest: 12:10pm On Nov 15, 2019
LabDNA:

You are very right
Yoruba women traders should stop using the phrase 'ki le fe' (what do you want). It makes the customer look like a thief who is being challenged.
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@LabDNA @staro

"Ki ni e fe?" [What do you want?]or "Ki ni e fe ra?" [What do you want to buy?]
is a VERY POLITE way of addressing customers in Yorubaland. It is NOT OFFENSIVE
LIKE you both have indicated. Do not demonise Yoruba women traders with this
misleading perception of yours.

How can you say that they should stop using the
common Yoruba phrase?

You guys need to learn how to tolerate and accomodate others without
suffering from skin-deep prejudice. It is possible that 1 or 2 women you
approached in the past were having some stress or anger issues like most
women do every month and so you formed that wrong impression
that "Ki ni e fe?" is an "attacking question." grin

A few Ibo traders... especially the males have been rude in the
past and even sold fake items to me way back in the 1990s
, but that
did not prevent me from still doing occassional purchases from
genuine Ibo traders who were recommended to me by even
Yorubas and a few Ibo friends of mine.

All the best!
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by nlPoster: 12:14pm On Nov 15, 2019
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 12:20pm On Nov 15, 2019
Staro:

(or " ki le fe?" ).

A lazy person is a lazy person.

It has nothing to do with tribe.

I also witnessed similar scenarios in the East.
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by nlPoster: 12:29pm On Nov 15, 2019
I guess the person is referring to the tone of voice used to ask the question?

Ki le fe means what do you want, it's not normally offensive unless the person asking said it in a mean or nasty way.

1 Like

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by eunisam: 12:36pm On Nov 15, 2019
Afam4eva:
Pls Mods, i don't know what section to put this, so be free to move to the appropriate category.

I'm sure you guys have noticed a trend in the last decade and this trend keeps getting worse by the day.

I think it started with bus conductors always asking to make sure you have change before you enter the bus. In Lagos, they'll tell you "Wole pelu change ee" which translates to 'Enter with your change'.

I have been experiencing this with bus conductors in the past and it did not get to me as much as it is recently because even private organizations have joined the trend. Infact, everyone has joined.

It's no longer enough that you have money to pay for a service or buy a product, you now need to have change before you can be attended to.

This brings me to the question:

Have we become lazy as Nigerians?

In the past, all you needed to do was to pay for a service and whoever in charge will move to the end of the world to look for change. But these days, the laziness is appalling to say the least.

How will a business rather not sell an item because there's no change. if this isn't laziness, i don't know what is.

What do you guys think?

it is not about laziness, it is the scarcity of the lower denomination of our currency .ask central bank what happened to the lower denomination of our currency.

ask the bank why they don't load 10,20 50,100 and 200 naira in the ATM machine. coins supposed dey ATM

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by Staro: 6:57pm On Nov 15, 2019
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@LabDNA @staro

"Ki ni e fe?" [What do you want?]or "Ki ni e fe ra?" [What do you want to buy?]
is a VERY POLITE way of addressing customers in Yorubaland. It is NOT OFFENSIVE
LIKE you both have indicated. Do not demonise Yoruba women traders with this
misleading perception of yours.

How can you say that they should stop using the
common Yoruba phrase?

You guys need to learn how to tolerate and accomodate others without
suffering from skin-deep prejudice. It is possible that 1 or 2 women you
approached in the past were having some stress or anger issues like most
women do every month and so you formed that wrong impression
that "Ki ni e fe?" is an "attacking question." grin

A few Ibo traders... especially the males have been rude in the
past and even sold fake items to me way back in the 1990s
, but that
did not prevent me from still doing occassional purchases from
genuine Ibo traders who were recommended to me by even
Yorubas and a few Ibo friends of mine.

All the best!

A Yoruba friend also explained to me that "ki ni efe" is a polite language but I guess it's the
English translation (what do you want) that makes it sound rude.

Imagine approaching a shop and the shop owner asking you "what do you want"
For a non-Yoruba, this sounds confrontational and rude.

I think "ki ni efe ra" (what do you want to buy) makes a whole lot of sense.

1 Like

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by nlPoster: 7:01pm On Nov 15, 2019
I think folks might be confusing ki le nwa with ki le fe.

Ki le nwa could be impolite perhaps although not always.

The tone is what determines the context I guess, or vice versa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by helinues: 7:28pm On Nov 15, 2019
Even when there is change, average Nigerians wouldn't want to give..

Too poor for business
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by AkwalaIke1: 8:04pm On Nov 15, 2019
[s]
helinues:
Even when there is change, average Nigerians wouldn't want to give..

Too poor for business
[/s]
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by helinues: 8:06pm On Nov 15, 2019
AkwalaIke1:
[s][/s]

You are joking with your jobs se u know sha..

So may comments dey to cancelled.. Where have you been? You shouldn't have rest about this now..

Na your ordained jobs
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by AkwalaIke1: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2019
[s]
helinues:

You are joking with your jobs se u know sha..

So may comments dey to cancelled.. Where have you been? You shouldn't have rest about this now..

Na your ordained jobs
[/s]
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by LZAA: 3:35pm On Nov 18, 2019
Sai igbo domination
Re: The "I Don't Have Change" Syndrome In Nigeria by jimmy74(m): 4:23pm On Nov 18, 2019
The packaging aspect is most annoying to me. An Ibo trader would look for suitable packaging for your stuffs after patronizing him but, reverse is the case with our 'Iyawo' traders in the west. They are so conserved to get quality nylons. I almost lost provisions I purchased from a neighbor on the street as the load exceeds the elastic limit of the substandard nylon and break off while I was crossing the busy street.

(1) (Reply)

Orji Kalu To Contest For Emir Of Kuje Prison / I'll Open Can Of Worms That Will Make Edo People Stone Oshiomho - APC Chieftain / Kanu's Parents Burial: Video Clips From The Destroyed Two CCTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.