Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air (35760 Views)

Aero Aircraft Develops Fault Mid-air, Struggles To Land In Abuja / Air Peace Aircraft Tyre Bursts At Ilorin Airport / Robbers Attack Air Peace Aircraft While Taxiing To Take Off At Lagos Airp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by VicM6: 11:35pm On Nov 05, 2019
[quote author=sofiscatedmoron post=83776677][/quote]that's y i said it can last for some minutes or hours. mayb an hour just for the pilot to land the plane safely but an airplane can not fly with one engine from lagos to miami.
think of the plane going towards a mountain...an engine failure will only cause drag to the airplane making it burn more fuel than required and n4 u knw it, the plane will drop from d sky.

if it was possible, air peace wouldn't have turn back and same thing caused dana plane crash.
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Nobody: 11:51pm On Nov 05, 2019
Shit, and i just flew Airpeace's B737 from Abj to Lag.

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Ogbunigwe2018: 12:03am On Nov 06, 2019
metalgear11:

Recommendations are made but the question is are they followed? I remember when we finally got to identify and claim her body a month later, while waiting for the death certificate, one lady who lost her uncle on the same flight told us that on that day, when the pilot declared a mayday, the ATC in charge of the flight immediately handed the plane over to a JUNIOR member who had no idea about the crisis at hand. By the time he got up to speed, the plane had already hit the ground. In a saner climate, those recordings would have been heard and the ATC would have been fired for negligence and even jailed.

I also heard that the plane was not supposed to fly back to Lagos that day. The management demanded that it return to Lagos that evening, even after they were told it was due for a quick service. They insisted it turn back immediately. If the plane had remained in Abuja, I'm sure the mechanics would have detected the problem when performing the engine inspection.

According to the report - and i have it in front of me as I type this - "Engine number 1 lost power seventeen minutes into the flight, and
thereafter on final approach, Engine number 2 lost power and failed to respond to throttle movement on demand for increased power to sustain the aircraft in its flight configuration."

"The Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) retained about 30 minutes 53 seconds of the flight
and started recording at 1513:44hrs by which time the Captain and First Officer (F/O)
were in a discussion of a non-normal condition regarding the correlation between the
engine throttle setting and an engine power indication. However, they did not voice
concerns then that the condition would affect the continuation of the flight. The flight
crew continued to monitor the condition and became increasingly concerned as the
flight transitioned through the initial descent from cruise altitude at 1522:00hrs and the
subsequent approach phase."

If the pilots had requested a return when they first detected the problem, or even diverted to an alternate airport I'm sure they would have landed safely. The sad part to it all was that they were already in Lagos and were on final approach. If only the plane had remained just three more minutes in the air, they would have landed.

Well, like they say, hindsight is 20/20. May they continue to rest in peace.
Thank you for this privilege information.
Any leads to Sosoliso and Belview?

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by odigbosky(m): 12:15am On Nov 06, 2019
Homeboiy:

People dey run up and down

From main gate to BDPA go to osasogie

3 dead

Na this night e happen

Guy for where e for happen so. Bdpa or where
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by BeStroNG(m): 12:15am On Nov 06, 2019
stagger:

No need to answer him bro. Many people here and outside Nairaland just spew ignorance as a way of life. The day I heard someone say he cannot fly at night because the pilots needed the daylight to see where they were going was the day I gave up.

Lol. Believe me, I used to have that same thought before
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Agugbadin: 12:43am On Nov 06, 2019
Never sure of Airpeace airline
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by EgunMogaji2: 1:09am On Nov 06, 2019
SarkinYarki:
The crew flew by the book , one engine lost thrust at V2 the pilots followed the safety checklist by making an air return with the remaining engine . Great flying , this is the simple procedure the crashed Dana's captain refused to heed since he didn't want to miss his own flight to the US

Wow, I never heard that detail about Dana Air.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by EgunMogaji2: 1:12am On Nov 06, 2019
sofiscatedmoron:
one engine is enough to fly u from lagos to Miami
the second ,3rd or 4th engine is for back up

You’re incorrect.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by EgunMogaji2: 1:14am On Nov 06, 2019
talk2tosep:
Me I will never fly any Nigerian airline..

That makes two of us.

The day I missed my Delta flight and had to go with Kenya Airlines was horrible.
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by EgunMogaji2: 1:26am On Nov 06, 2019
Kaycee9242:

local flights have 2 engines, whereas international flights have 4 coz of d long distance

Most modern long range jets are twin engine.

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by cochtrane(m): 2:06am On Nov 06, 2019
Jarus:

Dana's first engine failed about 30 minutes mid-air. Closer to Lagos than returning to Abuja.

He lost the the other engine later.
You are wrong. That's not what the report said.
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Nobody: 2:09am On Nov 06, 2019
I am in a financial distress and want any help no matter how little. I am in a mess now . I need a token of support from Nairalanders with good intentions. nothing would be too small.
Polaris Bank
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by toplinetrtrend: 2:24am On Nov 06, 2019
themosthigh:
This action taken by the pilot was wonderful and he ought to be commended. It is very very hard for a plane to crash except if someone did not follow set procedures.

Lie. What if the plane lost its engine midair and far away from any airport?
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by RemiOAjayi: 2:26am On Nov 06, 2019
talk2tosep:

Even in Nigeria for local flight?
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by RemiOAjayi: 2:30am On Nov 06, 2019
SarkinYarki:
The crew flew by the book , one engine lost thrust at V2 the pilots followed the safety checklist by making an air return with the remaining engine . Great flying , this is the simple procedure the crashed Dana's captain refused to heed since he didn't want to miss his own flight to the US

But he then missed life and caused other families to suffer loss as well. May God protect us from human error
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by 9jaRealist: 3:48am On Nov 06, 2019
talk2tosep:

Drive/ride around then, and see if (between the horrible roads, bad drivers, kidnappers and armed robbers) it is safer...
>
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by benpuzzy(m): 4:07am On Nov 06, 2019
Summit video clip? Haba, who get time for videoing when everybody was in-between life and death.
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by ATTemi: 4:16am On Nov 06, 2019
It is coming gradually.
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by justmi1: 5:17am On Nov 06, 2019
I'm surprised no one is talking about creating more airports or air strips at most 15mins from one another to ease landing incase of emergency.
In more advanced countries like US they have several thousands of airports/ air strip, planes even carry out emergency landings on roads but we don't even have motorable roads.

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by mu2sa2: 6:04am On Nov 06, 2019
justbusy:
Ever since I knew you on this forum, this is the very first time you're making a sensible comment! Thanks for the exposé, bro!
But another poster is saying the part which claimed the pilot doesn't want to miss his flight to US isn't true.
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by oladimejiX: 6:07am On Nov 06, 2019
metalgear11:

Recommendations are made but the question is are they followed? I remember when we finally got to identify and claim her body a month later, while waiting for the death certificate, one lady who lost her uncle on the same flight told us that on that day, when the pilot declared a mayday, the ATC in charge of the flight immediately handed the plane over to a JUNIOR member who had no idea about the crisis at hand. By the time he got up to speed, the plane had already hit the ground. In a saner climate, those recordings would have been heard and the ATC would have been fired for negligence and even jailed.

I also heard that the plane was not supposed to fly back to Lagos that day. The management demanded that it return to Lagos that evening, even after they were told it was due for a quick service. They insisted it turn back immediately. If the plane had remained in Abuja, I'm sure the mechanics would have detected the problem when performing the engine inspection.

According to the report - and i have it in front of me as I type this - "Engine number 1 lost power seventeen minutes into the flight, and
thereafter on final approach, Engine number 2 lost power and failed to respond to throttle movement on demand for increased power to sustain the aircraft in its flight configuration."

"The Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) retained about 30 minutes 53 seconds of the flight
and started recording at 1513:44hrs by which time the Captain and First Officer (F/O)
were in a discussion of a non-normal condition regarding the correlation between the
engine throttle setting and an engine power indication. However, they did not voice
concerns then that the condition would affect the continuation of the flight. The flight
crew continued to monitor the condition and became increasingly concerned as the
flight transitioned through the initial descent from cruise altitude at 1522:00hrs and the
subsequent approach phase."

If the pilots had requested a return when they first detected the problem, or even diverted to an alternate airport I'm sure they would have landed safely. The sad part to it all was that they were already in Lagos and were on final approach. If only the plane had remained just three more minutes in the air, they would have landed.

Well, like they say, hindsight is 20/20. May they continue to rest in peace.

Quite revealing. Kindly do a thread with the report so people can be aware and have insight into this kind of occurrences. Cc lalasticlala so he can send it to fp
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Wazzap: 6:08am On Nov 06, 2019
Thank God for life. Dana passengers would have been alive today if the pilot did same. He noticed an error about 5 minutes after take off but still continued to Lagos.He had a flight to catch. All through the saga they realised he and his co pilot never made reference to the SOPs till the crash.
There is a report on the crash- just Google and read

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by michaelwilli(m): 6:33am On Nov 06, 2019
SarkinYarki:
My brother, you read the crash investigation of that dana own? E pain me gan
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by michaelwilli(m): 6:35am On Nov 06, 2019
Jarus:

Dana's first engine failed about 30 minutes mid-air. Closer to Lagos than returning to Abuja.

He lost the the other engine later.
You need to read the crash investigation, it's much more than that

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by michaelwilli(m): 6:37am On Nov 06, 2019
Ogbunigwe2018:

Thank you for this privilege information.
Any leads to Sosoliso and Belview?
Check Wikipedia, the crash investigation is there
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by michaelwilli(m): 6:37am On Nov 06, 2019
justmi1:
I'm surprised no one is talking about creating more airports or air strips at most 15mins from one another to ease landing incase of emergency.
In more advanced countries like US they have several thousands of airports/ air strip, planes even carry out emergency landings on roads but we don't even have motorable roads.
It's not feasible
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by citruslimited(m): 6:52am On Nov 06, 2019
Even air France and emirates have crashed before.

To me I believe air peace is best Nigerian idiginous airline

2 Likes

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 06, 2019
michaelwilli:

You need to read the crash investigation, it's much more than that

Read that months ago - at least the wiki entry.

I knew a little bit about that incident. In fact, the pilot's last communication with the ATC was "I have lost noth engines...I have lost everything".

I know he said simething like "I just want to get home..." when they first noticed an issue about 17 minutes into the journey", but I thought that home was Lagos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 06, 2019
wesley80:

Sad to hear. I've always wondered if FAAN and the local aviation industry learn anything from crashes in the country. From the little I know watching ACI on NatGeo, there's always an important lesson from every air mishap and shrouding Air crash investigations in secrecy is counterproductive.

But investigation has not been completed. You want them to finish investigating before releasing a press statement to confirm it happened?
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by oruma19: 7:19am On Nov 06, 2019
SarkinYarki:
that pilot will never rest in peace. He killed the innocent people on board for a selfish reason. Would he not have still gone to the USA with another flight if he missed the first one? Some humans are not worth being humans I swear.
Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 06, 2019
zicoraads:
I am not sure I will ever be used to flying. Every single time always feels like the first.

I have flown more than 300 times in the last 13 years and I used to be very casual about it (no form of worry), but since I lost a friend in the Ethiopian crash in March this year, flying has not been the same for me again. I have flown about 30 times between March and now, and I was not myself throughout the flights. I used to sleep no matter how short the journey was, but I have not been able to close my eyes for 1 minute in all flights since March.

Knowing someone personally in a crashed flight changed flying experience for me. Not sure I will ever recover.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Air Peace Aircraft Develops Engine Failure Mid Air by wesley80(m): 7:38am On Nov 06, 2019
Jarus:

But investigation has not been completed. You want them to finish investigating before releasing a press statement to confirm it happened?
I wasn't referring to the recent Air Peace incident. Was surprised to hear the report of the Dana crash was available because I'd not heard a word about it. Usually the conclusion of such an investigation would be followed by a wave of indictments and possibly, prosecution for negligence but we never got to hear about any of those hence my reference to investigations being shrouded in secrecy.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Three Nigerians Deported From India For Illegal Stay (Photo) / Somewhere In Abuja, Have You Ever Pass Through This Expressway? / Truck Driver Crushes His Conductor Dead By Mistake In Delta(graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.