Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading (20551 Views)

Bill On Power Rotation Passes First Reading In Senate / Electoral Amendment Bill Passes Second Reading In The House Of Reps (Proposal) / Bill Seeking To Criminalise Mob Actions Scales Through First Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by Ajibade123(m): 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2019
Good one though
see 8 incredible impact of social media on our society https://explicitsuccess.com/impact-of-social-media-on-society/
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 06, 2019
VPN na im sure pass nonsense govt let me see what they will tell whatsapp people
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by syntax50: 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2019
brownnikky16:

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/senate-reintroduces-bill-to-regulate-social-media-with-3-years-imprisonment-for-offenders/amp

As long as it doesnt eventually transform into a bill to regulate speaking out against THE POLITHIEFIANS
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by LabDNA: 3:04pm On Nov 06, 2019
Civil societies should swing into action and stop this draconian bill.
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by lordtriplee(m): 3:07pm On Nov 06, 2019
Nigerians should fight this nonsense bill. Even advanced countries like USA still have fake news problem. Making it, an offence is codedly silencing the media. People will be tried unnecessarily and scared of posting any news.

Democracy has been our biggest problem.
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by holysina(m): 3:08pm On Nov 06, 2019
candidtalk:

Sharap my friend. If you are not a peddler of fake news then what are you worried about? These guys have become a nuisance lately. Biggest black nation on Earth discussing clones and Jubrin for years and Mr.President Marrying his Minister who he impregnated with twins !!!

Those who deliberately misinform Nigerians because they work for their own parochial agenda should officially face punishment. I back this bill die and they might as well call it death to bloggers bill. Nigeria needs information regulation and sanity ojare.
personally i think this fake news helps atimes. the govenment most times are silent on critical issues, till some one makes a fake news on that before they come out to clear the air
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by Lokoyen(m): 3:15pm On Nov 06, 2019
A good development. All those idiots circulating fake news broadcast on Whatsapp will stop now.
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by skywalker240(m): 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2019
When i look at the people talking about false news carriers, i just shake my head. Its a known fact there is a motive. It is actually targeted at those who speak up against the government even when they're saying the truth. Mark my words.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by Nwaide01: 3:24pm On Nov 06, 2019
The way this present Senate is going they will end up as the worst Senate in the history of this country. Always chasing shadows
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by toplinetrtrend: 3:25pm On Nov 06, 2019
ednut1:
Fake news will reduce since many are naturally daft to believe them

what kind of English is this? Fake news will reduce because! people are naturally daft to believe them?!
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 06, 2019
lilbest4:
Because you think something is false or a hate speech does not mean it is actually false.
The moment government decide what you can say or not, you know that you are not a free citizen but a puppet

But you have the wisdom to verify before disseminating to the public
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by bizhop01: 3:32pm On Nov 06, 2019
From the same criminal that pay hungry people to turn internet upside down with fake news and blames 6years ago.
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by bizhop01: 3:36pm On Nov 06, 2019
toplinetrtrend:

what kind of English is this? Fake news will reduce because! people are naturally daft to believe them?!
Woad ar you taul aboud?
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by AgentNairaland(f): 3:36pm On Nov 06, 2019
Next Level Go Sweet Wella
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by obembet(f): 3:46pm On Nov 06, 2019
Sunnymatey:
Olodo senate, want to shut nigerians up.

They better build more prisons cus l can't keep quite when the right thing is not done.

The guy quoting me below can scream to high heavens.
If they act stupid, we fire. This is the only medium through which we can reach out to them.

We must pressure those in authority to do the right thing. It's our duty as citizens.

We have warn you guys not to vote them. But some idiot do cos of T-shirt and cup of rice. Sowore raise alarm but they mock him. To me, I think this is the welcome development
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by overdrive(m): 3:48pm On Nov 06, 2019
valentineuwakwe:
i knw it will someone from the north that will sponsor this bill

Boss I dropped you a mail. Kindly acknowledge receipt please.
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by Brandomg: 3:50pm On Nov 06, 2019
jaxxy:
This is a terrible government. There is no grounds or basis for this. There are many informations on the internet, truths and half truths, total lies bt it doesn’t warrant such actions unless it leads to a real crime.

Even the government itself doesn’t say all the facts on many issues and smtmes they are even found false. There can be different versions of the truth smtmes.

Social media speaks freely and this shud not be stopped or attacked or else powerful people and those in power will suppress the truth.

The Fact There can be Different Versions of the Truth will make this difficult to interpret and enforce.
Hypocrisy...
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by itu404(m): 3:51pm On Nov 06, 2019
candidtalk:

Sharap my friend. If you are not a peddler of fake news then what are you worried about? These guys have become a nuisance lately. Biggest black nation on Earth discussing clones and Jubrin for years and Mr.President Marrying his Minister who he impregnated with twins !!!

Those who deliberately misinform Nigerians because they work for their own parochial agenda should officially face punishment. I back this bill die and they might as well call it death to bloggers bill. Nigeria needs information regulation and sanity ojare.

Hi,,, barman can you bring my friend a large glass of Jack Daniel? This bills was long overdue grin grin grin
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by wolexter(m): 3:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
Sunnymatey:
Olodo senate, want to shut nigerians up.

They better build more prisons cus l can't keep quite when the right thing is not done.

The guy quoting me below can scream to high heavens.
If they act stupid, we fire. This is the only medium through which we can reach out to them.

We must pressure those in authority to do the right thing. It's our duty as citizens.

Thought it's clearly stated that bill is targeted at those spreading fake news. So why u dey worry in advance na lol? Abi...
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by ridbell01(m): 4:05pm On Nov 06, 2019
ABCthings:
Do you think you can defend everything?
thats why you need to be very careful many people are in jail today cuz they have no evidence to prove their case
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by TemmyT002(m): 4:09pm On Nov 06, 2019
Bennycollins:
So now what is the fate of some that actually post unpleasant truths especially about the government?

Unpleasant truths are different from falsehoods.
If a truth is posted and the government complains, then we know that the government is dysfunctional.

1 Like

Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by GGirll: 4:19pm On Nov 06, 2019
It will start from d midget of kadunna n Mr lie of Nigeria rubbish.
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by freemanq(m): 4:23pm On Nov 06, 2019
this is d type of bill dey will sign very fast.contuno
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by powerkey: 4:27pm On Nov 06, 2019
Instead of Nigerians mobilizing to disrupt such evil laws passage, they are here on another lies peddler forum; talking nonsense....
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by Alfredah01: 4:35pm On Nov 06, 2019
Do you think this our problem in Nigeria? No I don’t think so there are more bigger issues the government needs to tackle, in western world a country like America trump had been called different names and mockery of via comics and the rest, criticized as well... but with this bill the Nigerian government is trying to shut its citizens up... don’t see things one sided. Let’s face better issues not social media

candidtalk:

Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by ednut1(m): 4:40pm On Nov 06, 2019
toplinetrtrend:

fake news spread because people who are gullible believe it
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by baratech: 4:42pm On Nov 06, 2019
Good
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by jaxxy(m): 5:28pm On Nov 06, 2019
Brandomg:

Hypocrisy...

How explain? Regulating social media is needed I agree bt how it is implemented is the real issue. This govt has notoriously abused the rights of citizens so how can they be trusted on this. There are many layers of issues here.
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by valentineuwakwe(m): 5:31pm On Nov 06, 2019
overdrive:

Boss I dropped you a mail. Kindly acknowledge receipt please.
why not chat me, 09062152327
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by jbaby4u: 5:39pm On Nov 06, 2019
brownnikky16:

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/senate-reintroduces-bill-to-regulate-social-media-with-3-years-imprisonment-for-offenders/amp

We are really under a dictatorship form of government.

That we are a democratic nation is a big scam .
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by useurkidney3121: 5:51pm On Nov 06, 2019
candidtalk:

Oloriburuku ni'wo bobo yi sha
Re: 3 Months Imprisonment For Social Media Offenders - Bill Passes First Reading by jcross19: 5:57pm On Nov 06, 2019
candidtalk:

wow can you see the kind human we are living with! may the hammer judgment from God descend upon those that want to silent the voice of the poor in the form of media regulation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Solomon Akuma: Court strikes out suit over Twitter rant against Buhari / Obaseki targeted for impeachment; as Oshiomhole, Idahagbon plot / A Bill To Allow States Generate Electricity Passed By House Of Representatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.