Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,001 members, 7,810,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill (10431 Views)

Ahmad Lawan: Sexual Harassment Bill Passed To Guarantee Safety Of Students / Senate Passes Anti-Sexual Harassment Bill / Omo-Agege Presents Sexual Harassment Bill To Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by Citizenshelm: 4:47pm On Nov 06, 2019
The Senate on Wednesday debated the sexual harassment bill initiated by Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege.

The bill scaled second reading on the floor of the Senate.

The proposed legislation titled “A bill for an Act to Prevent, Prohibit and Redress Sexual Harassment of Students in Tertiary Educational Institutions and for other matters connected therewith 2019” has 27 clauses.

The bill proposes up to 14 years jail term, with a minimum of 5 years, without an option of fine for any educator who commits sexual offences in tertiary institutions, Igbere TV reports.

The bill defines sexual offences as including sexual intercourse with a student or demands for sex from a student or a prospective student or intimidating or creating a hostile or offensive environment for the student by soliciting for sex or making sexual advances.

Other forms of sexual harassment identified in the bill are grabbing, hugging, kissing, rubbing, stroking, touching, pinching the breasts or hair or lips or hips or buttocks or any other sensual part of the body of a student; or sending by hand or courier or electronic or any other means naked or sexually explicit pictures or videos or sex-related objects to a student, and whistling or winking at a student or screaming, exclaiming, joking or making sexually complimentary or uncomplimentary remarks about a student’s physique or stalking a student.

Senator Omo-Agege, in his lead debate, said: “The most effective way to deal with the offence of sexual harassment in our tertiary institutions is to penalise the very impropriety of the act, with or without consent.”

According to him, sexual harassment must be defined in tertiary educational institutions as statutory rape with strict liability for offenders to be prosecuted easily.

On the extension of the bill to primary, secondary schools, worship centres and workplace, Omo-Agege said doing so will not be necessary because the Criminal and Penal codes already adequately deal with these categories with sufficient clarity.

He, however, stressed that the bill prescribes expulsion for students who falsely accuse educators of sexual harassment.

He said: “An educator whose character is maligned is at liberty to sue for defamation under the law of defamation which is well-settled in our jurisprudence and needs no duplication in this bill.”

The Senate also on Wednesday considered President Muhammadu Buhari’s Finance Bill, 2019 initiated by Senate Leader, Abdullahi Yahaya.

Senator Abdullahi said the bill essentially seeks to promote fiscal equity by mitigating instances of regressive taxation; reforming domestic laws to align with global best practices, and introducing tax incentives for investments in infrastructure and capital markets.

http://igberetvnews.com/1116616/senate-debates-senator-omo-ageges-sexual-harassment-bill/

L

4 Likes

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by morikee: 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2019
I just smoke weed for the first time guys rejoice with me I'm very happy Goodluck have won 2019 Election.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by daxel1: 7:51pm On Nov 06, 2019
grin grin grin
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by donprinyo(m): 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
Akuko
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by sammyj: 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
Hope the bill will not hunt the hunter as them na them dey do this thing pass ordinary Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by babyfaceafrica: 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
nice

especially this part

He, however, stressed that the bill prescribes expulsion for students who falsely accuse educators of sexual harassment.

you lie,you leave school!!..I would have preferred,you lie,you do 4 years in jail!

12 Likes

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by BUSHHUNTER: 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by NuraSambo: 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
a large percentage of the senators themselves are sexually predators

7 Likes

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by donprinyo(m): 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
Who will have the courage to declare unemployment and betting industries a menace in dis country?
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by Coldie(m): 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
Nice bill
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by Jestin: 7:52pm On Nov 06, 2019
Leaders when Mumu...That is how I saw one senator in a hotel in Uk with baddest bitch and expensive drinks flowing like water

2 Likes

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by cheik11: 7:53pm On Nov 06, 2019
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by momodub: 7:53pm On Nov 06, 2019
Hummm
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by mcjohny(m): 7:57pm On Nov 06, 2019
I dey tells u
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by Charleys: 7:59pm On Nov 06, 2019
This Bill is bad, men no go fit runs things again.

This Bill is SEXIST it does not favour the men.

This Bill is sponsored by feminist.... Nigerians watch out. This Bill favours women rather than men

We don't have the data to know how many women are harrassed in Nigeria.... If the sexual harrasment are really true.

This law shouldn't be ambiguous.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by HowDareU: 8:02pm On Nov 06, 2019
We need more Omo Ageges in the Senate. The man is an intellectual. The sexual harrasment bill is long overdue. Sexual harrassment takes place in organisations, religious place of worship, tertiary institutions, etc. Good move Honorable. Check my blog for articles on sexual harrassment: www.securitymattersafrica.com

1 Like

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by LabDNA: 8:12pm On Nov 06, 2019
Good one! I endorse the bill 100%
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 06, 2019
grin
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by thundafire: 8:21pm On Nov 06, 2019
It must be a two way thing cs ladies are bunch of confused species dey may willingly play along and later shout embarrassment
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by WarriAproko: 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2019
What of bill for senators and job racketers. No sex no Job. undecided undecided
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by sanmtiago(m): 8:29pm On Nov 06, 2019
Mtcheew
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by WarriAproko: 8:30pm On Nov 06, 2019
They also need bill for Job racketers too in government... No Sex No Job bill... embarassed embarassed
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by webngnews: 8:43pm On Nov 06, 2019
Oh
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by SyrusdeHansome(m): 8:48pm On Nov 06, 2019
This bill shouldn't be only focused on universities nd lecturers. Even the senators are not exempted from the sexual harassment/escapades of a thin. How about employers in private firms? What of church pastors? What of Imams? Even the man that came up with this bill, how clean is he in that regard?

1 Like

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by foster212: 8:48pm On Nov 06, 2019
morikee:
I just smoke weed for the first time guys rejoice with me I'm very happy Goodluck have won 2019 Election.
Na so e dey start.
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by curiousmind11: 8:53pm On Nov 06, 2019
How can they exclude the primary and secondary schools, even when the students at that level are not up to the age of consent?

I applaud this Bill, but statutory rape is what happens when an adult has sex (with or without consent) with a minor. So, the bill should include secondary school abeg! Even though the penal code has covered the secondary schools, we know it is rarely applied, so the Senate should include it for EMPHASIS.

1 Like

Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by candlestick: 8:56pm On Nov 06, 2019
morikee posts=83800660:
obolo must u comment?
Re: Senate Debates Omo-Agege’s Sexual Harassment Bill by Cocolatti(m): 8:58pm On Nov 06, 2019
I am preparing a bill on Maze Snatchers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enugu 2023: Ike Ekweremadu Throws Up A Challenge On Enugu Zoning / Hoax! America Didnt Go To The Moon! / Court Orders That Alleged Nyanya Bombers Be Tried In Camera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.