Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions (15688 Views)

Learn How To Treat Your Skin The Natural Way For Free Here. / Natural Remedies To Get Flawless Glowing Skin / Darkening Of The Lips - Causes & Remedies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 3:00am On Dec 01, 2010
Hey ladies, I have a new recipe for you guys to try. I doubles as a hair moisturizer and a body moisturizer.

Shea Butter Crème
This recipe makes an excellent hair moisturizer and sealer for both natural and relaxed black hair. It also makes a wonderful body butter!

Ingredients:
* 4 tablespoons shea butter
* 2 tablespoon cocoa butter
* 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* A few drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance [e.g. lemon oil, lavender oil, ylang ylang oil, etc.]

Directions:
Melt the shea butter & and cocoa butter over a low heat until melted and slowly add olive oil. Pour the oils into a bowl, add a few drops of the essential oil to provide a light fragrance [don't go overboard]. Put your bowl over another bowl filled with ice to allow the oils to set faster. Whisk vigorously until the mixture is light and fluffy [If you have one, use an electric hand mixer for this]. Spoon into a jar[or any other resealable container, seal and enjoy!
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Ejadamen(f): 11:48am On Dec 01, 2010
Nice one Inked but I'm wondering which of those ingredients is providing the moisture. is it the cocoa butter cos I know shea butter is an oil moisturizer and used for sealing.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 5:18pm On Dec 01, 2010
Ejadamen:

Nice one Inked but I'm wondering which of those ingredients is providing the moisture. is it the cocoa butter cos I know shea butter is an oil moisturizer and used for sealing.

All the ingredients are moisturizing. In the case of the olive oil, it has both conditioning and moisturizing properties.

Ejadman, here is a recipe especially for you. I know some of the ingredients for the recipes I provide may not me available so I have a recipe here just for you. I have yet to try this recipe though, so if you try it and don't like it, then I'm sorry embarassed

I hope you enjoy it. If you do, could you please come back and give us ladies here a review/critique of the recipe wink

Setting Lotion Recipe:
   1. Slice 2 to 4 Okra [you can add more okra based on the amount of hair you have or what you need]
   2. Add the Okra to 150ml of boiling water [you may also need to add some more water depending on how much okra you decide to use]
   3. Let the mixture boil up really good
   4. Turn off the heat once boiled
   5. Leave it to cool until it forms a slimy and gelatinous liquid
   6. Remove the boiled okra from the liquid
   7. Smooth the nutrient rich slimy gel into a clean and sterilized jar
   8. Store in the fridge when you're not using it
   9. Use within 2 to 3 days or add a synthetic preservative to increase it's shelf life. Some essential oils that have demonstrated antimicrobial properties are
       caraway, cinnamon, clove, cumin, eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, rose, rosemary, sage, sandalwood, tea tree, and thyme. To properly preserve products for long
       periods of time, you'll need to exceed the recommendations for safe amounts in skin care products. If using these essential oils to preserve products, make batches
       smaller and use them quickly.

** If possible, use a strainer to remove/separate the okra, okra seeds, and slime.

Optional:
Add a little freshly squeezed lemon juice or your favorite essential oil to the mix.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Ejadamen(f): 8:59pm On Dec 01, 2010
Err, Inked,what does a setting lotion do? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 9:29pm On Dec 01, 2010
Ejadamen:

Err, Inked,what does a setting lotion do? embarassed embarassed embarassed

Setting lotion is basically just a heavy-duty gel,  it's thick and creamy and has the best hold for curls. I personally, haven't tried this recipe so I'm not sure how it will be on hair or whether or not it will have a hold similar to commercial setting lotions.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Ejadamen(f): 9:38am On Dec 02, 2010
^gel? I doubt I will try it. I tried gelling my hair 4 days ago and I absolutely hated it. Also Okra is food,it seems so yucky to put it on my hair shocked If I did i would wash it out immediately so flies don't chase me while I'm outside grin

I saw something on tv but it went by so fast I didn't totally get it. A home recipe for hair that consists of avocado pear and mayonnaise. not sure what that mixture is for,if it's for deep conditioning or moisturizing undecided
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 4:34pm On Dec 02, 2010
Ejadamen:

^gel? I doubt I will try it. I tried gelling my hair 4 days ago and I absolutely hated it. Also Okra is food,it seems so yucky to put it on my hair shocked If I did i would wash it out immediately so flies don't chase me while I'm outside grin

I saw something on tv but it went by so fast I didn't totally get it. A home recipe for hair that consists of avocado pear and mayonnaise. not sure what that mixture is for,if it's for deep conditioning or moisturizing undecided

Awww, sorry. I don't usually try food related recipes in my hair. I usually end up eating the stuff instead of putting it in my hair grin. I've never heard of the avocado, pear, and mayonnaise but I've heard of avocado and mayonnaise. Why don't you give it a try and see what happens? You could also try this recipe:

Deep Conditioner Recipe for Dry hair
Ingredients:
2 ounces aloe vera gel
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
2 ounces apple cider vinegar
1 ounce powdered milk

Directions:
Mix ingredients, then massage mixture into hair. Wrap hair in a hot towel or cover with shower cap for 15 minutes [you can keep it longer if you want]. Shampoo & rinse out.

Tropical Deep Conditioner Recipe
Ingredients:
1 peeled and mashed Avocado
1 cup Coconut milk

Directions:
Combine mashed avocado with some coconut milk in a small bowl. Heat in microwave for approximately 45 seconds. Stir. Test temperature. Massage mixture into hair.Wrap hair in a hot towel or cover with shower cap for 15 minutes [you can keep it longer if you want]. Shampoo & rinse out.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Ejadamen(f): 6:14pm On Dec 02, 2010
I love the deep con recipes kiss kiss I'll try them out when i have energy grin but never the okra shocked
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by iice(f): 6:22pm On Dec 02, 2010
@Inked_nerd, avocado is sometimes called pear in Naija.

I don't think i can do the okra own either. . .for one thing, i don't like okra unless it's okra soup and for another, my hair is too long for gel. Anyway i just braided my hair, so the recipes will have to wait till i take out my braids. Thanks though for the recipes. Much appreciated smiley
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Ejadamen(f): 6:33pm On Dec 02, 2010
@ Inked now I understand your confusion. Avocado pear is just one thing,the avocado that you know. There are 2 types of pear in Nigeria,one is avocado and the other is a purple local kind(don't know the name).
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 10:31pm On Dec 02, 2010
Ejadamen:

I love the deep con recipes kiss kiss I'll try them out when i have energy grin but never the okra shocked

lol, I don't mind trying out the okra recipe in my hair. For some time, I've been looking for people who have tried the recipe but so far, the people I have come in contact with are either too scared to try it or don't like the idea of putting okra in their hair. My only problem with the recipe is that I doubt that the slime from the okra would be thick enough to hold my hair. I'd be better off eating it rater than putting in my hair.

iice:

@Inked_nerd, avocado is sometimes called pear in Naija. 

I don't think i can do the okra own either. . .for one thing, i don't like okra unless it's okra soup and for another, my hair is too long for gel.  Anyway i just braided my hair, so the recipes will have to wait till i take out my braids.  Thanks though for the recipes.  Much appreciated smiley

I keep forgetting that avocado is also called pear in Nigeria. Hope you enjoy the recipe. How long is your hair by the way? Are you natural? If so, how long? Hehehe, sorry for all the questions grin.

Random question to all: Hmmm, am I the only one who doesn't mind eating okra raw? grin
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 10:51am On Dec 03, 2010
For those of you in Naija, I just saw something on my news feed on Facebook about Nibi. She is the woman who hosts natural hair workshops in Nigeria. I mentioned her previously in SA Goddess' thread >>> https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-510489.256.html . While looking through my news feed, I noticed that another that there is an event that will be going on over the weekend in Lagos. I'll post the info here on the thread for anyone who is interested in attending the event. The event will be at the Sunday Souk at Bogobiri, SW Ikoyi between 12-6pm. For those of you who attend the event, I hope you have fun. Make sure you come back and share with us how the event went wink.

Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Ejadamen(f): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Random question to all: Hmmm, am I the only one who doesn't mind eating okra raw? grin

shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry You're the first one I've heard of who does that. Yuck!

This kinky apothecary babe is not serious,IMO. I have seen her blog and I'm a fan of her page on facebook. I left 2 messages on her FB page and on her gmail account requesting for products available and prices more than a week and a half ago. No reply angry I even informed her I don't live in Lagos,still no reply angry Well hope her show goes well.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 1:11pm On Dec 03, 2010
Ejadamen:

shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry You're the first one I've heard of who does that. Yuck!

This kinky apothecary babe is not serious,IMO. I have seen her blog and I'm a fan of her page on facebook. I left 2 messages on her FB page and on her gmail account requesting for products available and prices more than a week and a half ago. No reply angry I even informed her I don't live in Lagos,still no reply angry Well hope her show goes well.

Lmao, I tried eating it raw once when I was a kid [I think I was about 11 or 12] and ever since then, I liked it. Tastes great grin.

Eh ya, I'm sorry you haven't been able to get in contact with the owner of The Kinky Apothecary cry. With the way she presented herself in Black Girl With Long Hair's blog, I thought she would have been more attentive about it. Would you like me to try contacting her?
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Ejadamen(f): 1:25pm On Dec 03, 2010
Please do. I would appreciate it.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by WAVixen: 5:16pm On Dec 04, 2010
Here goes, get good supply of natural honey. Get in the bath and rubb all over your body, make sure to keep away from your eyes. Leave on for about 10 mins while still rubbing on your skin. Rinse away with water and use black soap to have your bath.

2. Pawpaw treatment--- blend an overly rip paw into paste ( not too smoth) use all over the body, leave on for 5 mintues. It helps in mosturising your skin. wash off.

3. Facial egg treatment, take white of egg, make sure to remove the yellow bit. use on your face. aviod the eye area. This helps to tighten the facial muscles.

4. First thing in the morning, mix 2 teaspoons of honey with warm water and  drink. Helps the digestion and makes you go to the toilet.

5. Sounds crazy, but tried and tested. At the end of your menstral cycle, take a clove of garlic and insert in your v a  gina, you'll notce immediately
your breath changes. Do this for 3 days, making sure to change the clove twice a day. This helps to fight bacteria and keep the private area clean.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by WAVixen: 5:23pm On Dec 04, 2010
Pumpkin treatment. Take a bunch of ugwu leaves slice thinly and blend into smooth consistency. Close your eyes grin and gulp in a full swoop. If you're strong enough, chill and drink slowly. Helps digestion.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by sexylogan(m): 7:46pm On Dec 04, 2010
Inked_Nerd, so this is where u've bin. Hav u abandoned the romance section. We r missing u there. cry
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 6:27am On Dec 05, 2010
sexylogan:

Inked_Nerd, so this is where u've bin. Hav u abandoned the romance section. We r missing u there. cry

Lmao yes, this is where I've been. I haven't abandoned the romance section. It's a lot calmer here in the fashion section than in the romance section. Besides, I doubt that anyone really noticed that I was gone. Every once in a while, I post comment on some stuff on the romance section but for the most part I've been here. Oya, stop crying. My dear sexylogan I'll try and post more often in the romance section but I can't guarantee anything though kiss kiss kiss.

@WAViven: Thanks for posting the tips and remedies. Another thing that is good for digestion is aloe vera. I believe madlady provided and link and some pics on how to make tea with aloe vera. Another thing that's good for digestion is drinking apple cider vinegar. Here's are some recipes for various digestive remedies.

Apple Cider Vinegar Recipe:
Apple cider vinegar Mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar in a glass of water and sip slowly during meals. Add some honey for flavor if you don't like the taste.

Rhubarb Recipe:
Rhubarb has been used for centuries to improve digestion and appetite. Make a tea by bringing a cup of water to a boil then adding 1 2/3 teaspoons of cut dried rootstock; simmer for 3 minutes; remove to steep, covered for half an hour; drink only 1/4 to 1/2 cup. If you get diarrhea, decrease the dosage, as too much rhubarb can cause diarrhea, or, if you get constipated, increase the dosage. This may seem odd, but rhubarb is used for constipation and diarrhea, but in different doses.

Another apple cider vinegar I have doubles as a digestive drink and a facial toner.
Toner #1:
Use one teaspoon of cider vinegar and two tablespoons of water.

Toner #2:
Use one part apple cider vinegar to three parts witch hazel or rosewater for a gentle toner suitable for all skin types.

Toner #3:
1 cup water (rain, distilled, or spring)
1 heaping tablespoon dried Peppermint or Sage leaves (or 1/4 cup fresh)
3 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar (if skin is oily use 2 more teaspoons)

To make an infusion of the peppermint or sage leaves, heat water until boiling. Remove from heat and add herbs. Cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain out plant material. Add vinegar and stir well. Pour into a clean bottle and label. Shake well to ensure the mix. Store in refrigerator for best results and use within 3 weeks. Use toner after cleansing.

**[/b]If you intend to use the recipe as a facial toner, use a cotton pad to apply the toner to your facial area.

[b]**[/b]Also, if you want to use the recipes as facial toner add a drop or two of lavender or tea tree essential oil to your toner
to fight against blemishes and bacteria. [b]Do not add essential oils to the recipes if you intend on using it as a digestive drink.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by iice(f): 8:11am On Dec 05, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

lol, I don't mind trying out the okra recipe in my hair. For some time, I've been looking for people who have tried the recipe but so far, the people I have come in contact with are either too scared to try it or don't like the idea of putting okra in their hair. My only problem with the recipe is that I doubt that the slime from the okra would be thick enough to hold my hair. I'd be better off eating it rater than putting in my hair.

I keep forgetting that avocado is also called pear in Nigeria. Hope you enjoy the recipe. How long is your hair by the way? Are you natural? If so, how long? Hehehe, sorry for all the questions grin.

Yuck! Can't only handle okro soup so raw okra is just ewww for me. My mom likes boil okra. . .yuck tongue
Yes i'm natural though for the last two years, i had it straightened out, not perming but thermal reconditioning and that even made it longer. . .got to the point of reaching my bum lipsrsealed i've cut it to about midway my back. . .so i'm gonna grow it out and chop off the straightened part and who knows what next i will do tongue
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 9:32pm On Dec 05, 2010
sexylogan:

Lmao yes this is where I've been. I haven't abandoned the romance section, its just that its a lot calmer here in the fashion section than in the romance section. Besides, I doubt that anyone notice that I was gone. I try to drop by every once in a while to post comments. Eventually, I'll be back to the romance section.

iice:

Yuck! Can't only handle okro soup so raw okra is just ewww for me. My mom likes boil okra. . .yuck tongue
Yes i'm natural though for the last two years, i had it straightened out, not perming but thermal reconditioning and that even made it longer. . .got to the point of reaching my bum lipsrsealed i've cut it to about midway my back. . .so i'm gonna grow it out and chop off the straightened part and who knows what next i will do tongue

Hehehe, I love okra whether cooked or raw. My mom steams her okra sometimes. Yum grin.

Wow, I've had long hair before but never to my bum. Hehehe, I remember when I grew my natural hair to BSL and I was so proud of myself. I look forward to getting back to BSL. What did your friends and family say when you cut your hair? I know people tend to freak out when they see their friends or family member cutting their hair grin.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by iice(f): 3:17am On Dec 06, 2010
First time i cut my hair was in high school. . .my hair was also long then and i chopped it to my nape level. My best friend was so mad @ me, she started crying. I waited till end of the sem to show my parents. . .they were angry but they got over it. Now its just my sister who gets upset when i cut my hair. My brothers could care less since they have done things to their hair too lipsrsealed
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 6:08am On Dec 06, 2010
lol, stuff like that cracks me up. When my mom would complain about my hair I'd just say to her "Is it your head? At what point in time did we starting sharing a head? When we join heads then perhaps you can have some say about what I do to my hair grin". Eventually she got over it [I think]. When my sister cut her hair, her friends yelled at her. The weird thing is that she didn't even cut much of it off, it still looked the same to me.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Lmao yes this is where I've been. I haven't abandoned the romance section, its just that its a lot calmer here in the fashion section than in the romance section. Besides, I doubt that anyone notice that I was gone. I try to drop by every once in a while to post comments. Eventually, I'll be back to the romance section.

Hehehe, I love okra whether cooked or raw. My mom steams her okra sometimes. Yum grin.

Wow, I've had long hair before but never to my bum. Hehehe, I remember when I grew my natural hair to BSL and I was so proud of myself. I look forward to getting back to BSL. What did your friends and family say when you cut your hair? I know people tend to freak out when they see their friends or family member cutting their hair grin.

True!!

I've been wanting to cut my hair for a while now but my freinds have been kicking against it. They'll think it'll make me look like a child since I already look too young for my age!

I'm tired of my hair though. It's falls on my shoulder and with the heat in Naija, it's very discomforting. Plus I really hate ponytails.

I can't keep a hair-do for a week before it starts making me uncomfortable!

I've thought about it through and through and I think I'll just sneak out one of these days and get a hair-cut! undecided undecided

I might try a few of these natural remedies you mentioned here. They sound really nice!
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 5:24pm On Dec 06, 2010
Ujujoan:

True!!

I've been wanting to cut my hair for a while now but my freinds have been kicking against it. They'll think it'll make me look like a child  since I already look too young for my age!

I'm tired of my hair though. It's falls on my shoulder and with the heat in Naija, it's very discomforting. Plus I really hate ponytails.

I can't keep a hair-do for a week before it starts making me uncomfortable!

I've thought about it through and through and I think I'll just sneak out one of these days and get a hair-cut!  undecided  undecided

I might try a few of these natural remedies you mentioned here. They sound really nice!

Eh ya, sorry to hear about your hair problem. At the end of the day, all that matter is what you know is good for you. Their not the ones who's hair is causing them discomfort, you are. There was a time when I used to worry about what people thought about my hair but as I got older, I realized that what mattered was what I thought and everyone else's opinion was either secondary or irrelevant.

Ejadamen:

Please do. I would appreciate it.

Ok, I have contacted her. Hopefully she'll reply to the message that I sent her.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by bkbabe97y(m): 9:32pm On Dec 06, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Eh ya, sorry to hear about your hair problem. At the end of the day, all that matter is what you know is good for you. Their not the ones who's hair is causing them discomfort, you are. There was a time when I used to worry about what people thought about my hair but as I got older, I realized that what mattered was what I thought and everyone else's opinion was either secondary or irrelevant.

Ok, I have contacted her. Hopefully she'll reply to the message that I sent her.

Wuteva! When am I gone smash?!
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 9:51pm On Dec 06, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Wuteva! When am I gone smash?!

Lmaaaaaaooooooo. Damn, you still on that? The only thing your gonna be smachin' is that thing between your legs. Besides, I already told you that I have a Honduran and a Ghanaian takin' care of the smashin' wink. Your services aren't needed here.
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by bkbabe97y(m): 11:35pm On Dec 06, 2010
Yeah, wuteva! how u been tho?
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 12:01am On Dec 07, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Yeah, wuteva! how u been tho?

Workin'. Where have you been? what's new?
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by bkbabe97y(m): 12:08am On Dec 07, 2010
Just been mad busy! This is the longest I been on NL in a loooooong while so u know ima cus a lil trouble and break a few hearts and harrass as much classless Ibo men on here as possible. hehehehehehehehehe

Anyways, hit me up, lemme know what u got planned for the New Years!
Re: The Natural Mixtress--Natural Remedies And Solutions by InkedNerd(f): 12:51am On Dec 07, 2010
Busy doin' what? Wreaking havoc? Leave my Ibo men alone angry

Hehehe, you already know what my plans are for New Years. I'm gonna be with a sexy Ghanaian, getting crazy. 

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Smart Collection Perfumes Available / Here Are The 8 Things That Defined You As A Fashionista In The 90s / Man Jailed For Tattooing 3-year-old Nephew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.