Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,735 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? (3161 Views)

A Call For Support Of Secession Movements In Africa: Support Biafra Republic / Picture:Boko Haram Republic equivalent of Biafra Republic The Story Of Secession / Talk Of Secession Should Stop And Be Replaced With Talk Of Dissolution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by edoyad(m): 11:34pm On Nov 15, 2010
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101115 /tpl-uk-sudan-south-referendum- 02bfc7e.html

Thousands of south Sudanese started registering for their long- awaited independence referendum on Monday, their first concrete step towards a vote that could split Africa's largest country in two. The launch came after northern and southern leaders agreed they would form a "soft border" allowing the free movement of trade and nomads between their territories in the event of separation, as part of a framework agreement to resolve a list of disputes between the two sides. The referendum on whether the oil- producing region should declare independence, scheduled for January 9 , is the climax of a 2005 peace deal that ended decades of north-south conflict - - Africa's longest civil war that was fought over ethnicity, religion, ideology and oil and that killed 2 million people. Analysts widely expect southerners embittered by the long war to vote for secession. Southern President Salva Kiir, surrounded by chanting crowds and drummers in the southern capital Juba, was among the first to sign up for the vote, a Reuters witness said. "We will vote on January 9. People must come out en masse. Otherwise people would have been fighting and dying for no cause. The referendum is done only once," Kiir told the crowd. CAMPAIGN Officials with megaphones ranged the streets of Juba in the morning calling on people to register. One unofficial vehicle blared out a pro-independence song: "It's the promised land and the promised land is coming." "We need to separate from these people (the northerners). They have not done anything good for us," Juba resident Deng Manyual told Reuters after registering. The pro- independence mood came in the face of a campaign led by Sudan's Khartoum- based President Omar Hassan al-Bashir for southerners to choose to stay united with the north. Southern leaders have accused the north of trying to delay and disrupt the plebiscite to keep control of the south' s oil reserves,

2 Likes

Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by jason12345: 11:36pm On Nov 15, 2010
there is no implication or ramification that would apply to nigeria.

NO ONE IS GOING ANYWHERE. grin grin NAIJA FOR LIFE! wink
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by Blazay(m): 11:46pm On Nov 15, 2010
jason12345:

there is no implication or ramification that would apply to nigeria.

NO ONE IS GOING ANYWHERE. grin grin NAIJA FOR LIFE! wink

Absolutely 'kwarect".

Aboki has spoken.
Till that oil dries up, it is ONE NIJJJERIA. cheesy

Come and secede let us whip lash you back to your senses with our JTF.

Too late now. We need slaves from southern Nijjjjeria.

IBB for 2011. cool

Allah bless Lord Lugard.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by edoyad(m): 12:06am On Nov 16, 2010
One unofficial  vehicle blared    out a pro-independence  song: "It's the    promised land and the  promised land is    coming." "We need to separate from    these  people (the northerners).

I could have sworn someone used exactly those same words on NL last week.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by aljharem(m): 12:11am On Nov 16, 2010
Blazay:

Absolutely 'kwarect".

Aboki has spoken.
Till that oil dries up, it is ONE NIJJJERIA. cheesy

Come and secede let us whip lash you back to your senses with our JTF.

Too late now. We need slaves from southern Nijjjjeria.

IBB for 2011. cool

Allah bless Lord Lugard.
grin grin grin grin Amin grin grin
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by Ibime(m): 12:23am On Nov 16, 2010
Nigerian journalism is dead.

I expect this issue to be the hot button topic in Nigeria right now as Sudan is the country that most closely resembles us.

It is funny that the AU negotiated the terms of this referendum, but continue to turn a blind eye to similar needs in Subsaharan Africa.

Kudos to the Southern seperatist who kept up a 30 year guerrilla war to get to this stage. They laid down their lives for their freedom. If only we Nigerians didn't love our lives so much, we could be the ones having referendum right now.

1 Like

Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 12:26am On Nov 16, 2010

One unofficial vehicle blared out a pro-independence song: "It's the promised land and the promised land is coming."

Feeling a bit jealous of the Southern Sudanese. Hopefully sometime soon, the same shall happen for my own people.

Anyway, it is refreshing to see; I'm glad to see the world becoming more accepting of secessionist movements like this, The Sudanese model is the one Nigeria should follow when it inevitably breaks apart.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by aljharem(m): 12:27am On Nov 16, 2010
Ibime:

Nigerian journalism is dead.

I expect this issue to be the hot button topic in Nigeria right now as Sudan is the country that most closely resembles us.

It is funny that the AU negotiated the terms of this referendum, but continue to turn a blind eye to similar needs in Subsaharan Africa.

Kudos to the Southern seperatist who kept up a 30 year guerrilla war to get to this stage. They laid down their lives for their freedom. If only we Nigerians didn't love our lives so much, we could be the ones having referendum right now.

what referendum angry angry angry

why don't u love us northerners angry angry
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by aljharem(m): 12:28am On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

Feeling a bit jealous of the Southern Sudanese. Hopefully sometime soon, the same shall happen for my own people.

Anyway, it is refreshing to see; I'm glad to see the world becoming more accepting of secessionist movements like this, The Sudanese model is the one Nigeria should follow when it inevitably breaks apart.
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by Seun(m): 12:28am On Nov 16, 2010
Does Southern Sudan have oil?  Is that oil responsible for more than 90% of govt revenue?
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by Osama10(m): 12:29am On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

We are not far of from this.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by aljharem(m): 12:30am On Nov 16, 2010
Osama10:

not far from what angry angry
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by tpia5: 12:32am On Nov 16, 2010
Sudan is the country that most closely resembles us

i'm sure you mean congo [s]is the country that most resembles nigeria[/s].
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 12:35am On Nov 16, 2010
Seun:

Does Southern Sudan have oil?  Is that oil responsible for more than 90% of govt revenue?
Yes to the former. Not sure about the latter.

Osama10:

Question though is, how do we bring it to pass? Southern Sudanese bought their independence with their own blood. Are we willing to do the same?

1 Like

Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 12:37am On Nov 16, 2010
alj harem:

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

I don't hate you Northerners. I just don't want to be in the same country as you guys. Neighbors, yes. Sharing the same country, no.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by edoyad(m): 12:37am On Nov 16, 2010
Does Southern Sudan have oil?  Is that oil  responsible for more than 90 % of govt  revenue?

Yep ! Don't know what percentage of the revenue is from oil but Negro,predominantly christian southern Sudan is definitely the one with the oil. Like the story says, there's a territory that 'could' go to the north in the event of the seperation that has some oil.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by fstranger: 12:42am On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

I don't hate you Northerners. I just don't want to be in the same country as you guys. Neighbors, yes. Sharing the same country, no.

I totally agree with you, Mr. Dapobear. I hope one day we will eventually have our own Oodualand, devoid of the violence-prone Abokis and the unrelentless whining Biafrans. It is true what the "Cicero of Esa-Oke" said that "if not for the North, Nigeria would have reached her promise land." Goodluck to Southern Sudan.

1 Like

Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by Ibime(m): 12:45am On Nov 16, 2010
Most oil is in the North, but they have just opened some newly discovered wells in the South.

The middle-belt area contains most of the new oil and they are expected to join the South.

I couldn't give a phuck if all Nigerian oil is in South. If that's the reason for forced marriage, then dem done gree say dem be parasite.

1 Like

Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by chyz(m): 12:46am On Nov 16, 2010
May God bless southern sudan with their own country. Nigeria will be next in a few year. Amin.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by tpia5: 12:48am On Nov 16, 2010
fstranger:

It is true what the "Cicero of Esa-Oke" said 

who is this Cicero of Esa-Oke.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by Beaf: 12:50am On Nov 16, 2010
GEJ bera speed up oil exploration around Lake Chad, so all anti-sessesionists can get drunk on some oel and zoom off into the desert sun. grin
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by fstranger: 12:54am On Nov 16, 2010
tpia@:

who is this Cicero of Esa-Oke.

None other than the  Kaduna boy, Chief James Ajibola Ige, regarded by many, including yours truly, as the Cicero of Esa-Oke for his eloquence.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 12:55am On Nov 16, 2010
Ibime:

Most oil is in the North, but they have just opened some newly discovered wells in the South.

Can you provide a reference for this first statement?

Southern oil accounts for the lion's share of Sudan's total output, although the precise proportion depends on the final demarcation of a north-south border in areas such as Abyei, which was too sensitive to be included in the 2005 pact.

However, more importantly for the south, all its oil goes by pipeline through the north to Port Sudan on the Red Sea. This means that if it wants to, Khartoum can cut off a revenue stream that accounts for 98 percent of Juba's budget.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6380V020100409?pageNumber=2
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 12:56am On Nov 16, 2010
Beaf:

GEJ bera speed up oil exploration around Lake Chad, so all anti-sessesionists can get drunk on some oel and zoom off into the desert sun. grin

Yep, this is the best way to handle it. Explore for oil, declare some fake oilblocks there if necessary, and you'll watch the core North secede so fast it will make your head spin  smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by tpia5: 12:56am On Nov 16, 2010
fstranger:

None other than the Kaduna boy, Chief James Ajibola Ige, regarded by many as the Cicero of Esa-Oke for his eloquence.

hmm.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by aljharem(m): 1:05am On Nov 16, 2010
the north is not going anywhere without ss oil

get it into ur heads angry angry angry

in as much as we depend on ur oil, u guyz depend on us for food angry angry
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by aljharem(m): 1:06am On Nov 16, 2010
the north will only secede with kwara,kogi ebonyi, rivers and lagos state
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 1:06am On Nov 16, 2010
I think another underrated aspect of this is that when Southern Sudan gains independence, that is another nation that might be willing to support an independence movement elsewhere (if only implicitly by allowing you land to train your own soldiers there.)

Not to mention that Southern Sudan has a LOT of weaponry, it seems. Who knows, they might be willing to sell off some of the excess tanks, anti-aircraft guns and rocket launchers in their possession?

I wonder how strong the Nigerian army really is. They've not been tested in a true battle in over 40 years. I would not be surprised if they are a paper tiger.

1 Like

Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by tpia5: 1:08am On Nov 16, 2010
that is another nation that might be willing to support an independence movement elsewhere (if only implicitly by allowing you land to train your own soldiers there.)

hasnt ghadafi helped you with that in the past?

Not to mention that Southern Sudan has a LOT of weaponry, it seems. Who knows, they might be willing to sell off some of the excess tanks, anti-aircraft guns and rocket launchers in their possession?

sell them off to who?

and to be used where?

I wonder how strong the Nigerian army really is. They've not been tested in a true battle in over 40 years. I would not be surprised if they are a paper tiger.

want to volunteer your hometown to find out?

we'd all like to know.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by aljharem(m): 1:08am On Nov 16, 2010
DapoBear:

I think another underrated aspect of this is that when Southern Sudan gains independence, that is another nation that might be willing to support an independence movement elsewhere (if only implicitly by allowing you land to train your own soldiers there.)

do not underestimate the nigerian army
trust me, the biafra have done it, boko harem have done done it and now it soon be mends turn

we northerners are very brutal in warfare angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by Omenani(m): 1:09am On Nov 16, 2010
Let us take a wait and see approach. Right now, I see no implications for Nigeria as of yet, but that can change.

I do not feel that this secession will be peaceful, because oil is present in Southern Sudan and we all know how oil impacts African nations.
Re: Southern Sudan Begins Process Of Secession: What Are The Implications For Nigeria ? by fstranger: 1:10am On Nov 16, 2010
alj harem:

the north is not going anywhere without ss oil

get it into your heads angry angry angry

in as much as we depend on your oil, u guyz depend on us for food angry angry

Even if given to you freely, I doubt you know what to do with it. It is that level of stupidit.y inherent in you and your ilk that SCARES the shyyt outta me and my fellow southerners. Anyway, you can now go back to feeding the cattle before its too late. Ciao!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Point Agenda For President Jonathan / A Nigerian in South Africa / Mainok Attack: Nigerian Soldiers Battle Boko Haram; 68 Feared Killed (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.