Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,634 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc (27960 Views)

BREAKING: Reps’ Bill Finally Ends Disparity Between Bsc/hnd / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces / Free Education Project Topics And Project Materials For Msc, Ma, Bsc, Hnd, Nce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 09, 2019
interesting
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Ekakamba: 5:16pm On Nov 09, 2019
yusman14:

I am not in school because of money ,get that bro....
financially I am ok...but u cannot offer what I can offer I swear...
I am still an undergraduate oo....
I av skills that u cannot achieve in the next 20 years

Skills will give you money nicca. Las las you agree say we all dey go school cos of money.

Stop swearing Mr. Yusuf you making our gist silly. grin

So cos Ekakamba haven't seen the four walls of Uni. or Poly., Mr. Yusuf suddenly become an undergraduate.

Well, case closed. Lemme go open gate for oga.

Cheers..... grin tongue
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by highbee02: 5:18pm On Nov 09, 2019
Midnighter come and c oooo
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by yusman14(m): 5:20pm On Nov 09, 2019
Ekakamba:

Skills will give you money nicca. Las las you agree say we all dey go school cos of money.

Stop swearing Mr. Yusuf you making our gist silly. grin

So cos Ekakamba haven't seen the four walls of Uni. or Poly., Mr. Yusuf suddenly become an undergraduate.

Well, case closed. Lemme go open gate for oga.

Cheers..... grin tongue
all the best bro��
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Throwback: 5:22pm On Nov 09, 2019
maestroferddi:
I am afraid to state that your argument lacks critical thinking.

Do you need a PHD to deduce that an oil and gas job is an outlier when it comes to employment considerations?

In any case, opting to go for an OND job when the applicant boasts of a degree cannot help your case as what you have is a case of someone electing for under-employment as a survival strategy.

You should be talking about the career prospects of an HND and a degree holder starting out at the same time in this reference company of yours....

You made a blanket reference to the HND job opportunities as it concerns the present day labour market.

I illustrated your ignorance, then you want to change the goal post?

Did I not already allude in my illustration that the bachelor's degree holder would have to work in same industry to earn better?

So of what benefit is the Bachelor's degree when you earn at the entry level N3m p/a in an ICT firm and the HND guy working as entry level in Total gets a pay package above N30m p/a?

In such a factual scenario, what arguments do you make about the fruitlessness of the HND in the present day labour market?

Or you now agree that the present labour market still allows the HND graduate to lead a life of prosperity, just as a Bachelor's degree holder, and all that matters is time and chance?

I repeat to you, every qualification has a role to play in the overall design. Also, in the present labour market, opportunities abound for HND graduates to lead a life of prosperity from paid employment.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by ImDStar: 5:28pm On Nov 09, 2019
Interesting
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by shogsman(m): 5:35pm On Nov 09, 2019
Left to me unless you want to work in the education sector it is pointless trying to get a bsc when you already have an HND.

1 Like

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Ekakamba: 5:35pm On Nov 09, 2019
Kaima cool cool cool
yusman14:
all the best bro��
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by edoairways: 5:37pm On Nov 09, 2019
paradigmshift:

we can always get certificate. just have money n u will get a cert.......
Things are chancing on daily basis. Don't expect what was obtainable now to be relevant in years to come.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Ekakamba: 5:42pm On Nov 09, 2019
shogsman:
Left to me unless you want to work in the education sector it is pointless trying to get a bsc when you already have an HND.
Not in Nigeria man.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by udemzyudex(m): 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:
I wonder who created this.

What has education practically achieved in this country?

I need to know?

Nothing, because recently with affidavit you can become the president of Nigeria.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 09, 2019
yusman14:
BSC is ahead..
University students pass through alot of academics activities compared to poly students...
in poly, lecturers sell handouts and other materials that are not even up to 200pages per course in a semester...
Engineering here in OAU is very crazy..
only halliday(PHY101) textbook is like 2000+ pages and It was just for 100level..
Now in 200l we did engineering mechanics too and other engineering courses...mhen so bulky...
The D.E guys that joined us in 200l can't cope and they all made distinctions and upper credit in poly....na war to them...from UTME sef the difference is clear

University graduates are ahead of polytechnic graduates...

I got into the university through DE too and initially staggered. I agree that the polytechnics pampered us through the system. University hard abeg.

1 Like

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 09, 2019
Ekakamba:
Typical 9ja (one man) mentality. grin

So because you read and studied with a textbook which has over 2k pages then boom!!! You automatically become better than someone who studied with a tutor note which is less than 200 pages?

Are you sure you are a university graduate at all? Because your basis for comparison seems vague, insignificant and inconsequential. grin

If you ever attended both, you'll understand that boy. Well, I did. At a point, I regretted why the polytechnic gave me a good result that qualifies me for a DE. This trend affected all of us who got in through DE. We staggered, felt the heat but never surrendered. Not surrendering is the only thing the polytechnic education left in us. Of course, UTME students had their fair share of the pain, torture and academic brutality. In good federal universities in this country, academics is rigorous.

1 Like

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by highbee02: 6:15pm On Nov 09, 2019
Throwback:

Do you know the meaning of the phrase "post O'levels"?

After O'levels, how long does it take to earn HND (say Accounting)?

After O'levels, how long does it take to earn B.Sc (say Accounting)?

Is SIWES not also constituent in the 4yrs of a basic Bachelor's degree?

were u not awarded the ND certificate upon the completion of your 2 year programme? if Yes, u don't need to add that 2 to your 2 year HND programme. I spent 3 years pursuing NCE before my Bsc/Ed and M.ed. Does that mean d 3 years spent for NCE should be added or subtracted from my degree programme?
NB: I did both SIWES and TP due to the nature my course of study.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by micxwell(m): 6:18pm On Nov 09, 2019
Throwback:

In the same present day labour market, Nigerians with OND + HND + B.Sc, are discarding their higher qualifications to apply with only OND for Total Production Operators job, or applying with their HND for NLNG Production Operator job, despite currently holding jobs with their more superior qualifications with a life of penury.

Trust me, as long as you are working as a paid employee with your own Bachelor's degree outside of the oil industry, your economic status is poverty compared to those guys.

Or you want to claim not to have seen Bachelor's degree applicants on numerous job boards, also asking if they can also apply for the OND jobs that are advertised by some Oil companies?

So before you say what you do not know about opportunities in the present day labour market, learn to accept that every qualification has its own role to play in the overall design.

Baba, you're right but how many times in a year do they absorb pple compare to the number of HND holders our Polytechnics churn out in a year? You don't need to school me though. I once missed an opportunity myself @NLNG as a plant operator, then I just finished my masters. One of my colleague was successful. There and then, I wished I had HND and not a degree. I pray God makes a way for us all.

1 Like

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Ekakamba: 6:20pm On Nov 09, 2019
Please understand my post. Thanks.
BananaTree:

If you ever attended both, you'll understand that boy. Well, I did. At a point, I regretted why the polytechnic gave me a good result that qualifies me for a DE. This trend affected all of us who got in through DE. We staggered, felt the heat but never surrendered. Not surrendering is the only thing the polytechnic education left in us. Of course, UTME students had their fair share of the pain, torture and academic brutality. In good federal universities in this country, academics is rigorous.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Equation89(m): 6:23pm On Nov 09, 2019
Very informative
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by sylve11: 6:25pm On Nov 09, 2019
wisewordd:
Own a working business and employ a Masters degree holder.

grin grin cool
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by fapcrook(m): 6:37pm On Nov 09, 2019
kayodesblog:
The first question I ask any HND admission seeker is “Why don’t you consider direct entry instead?”

This is the taking from my experiences with HND.

Nothing is practically wrong with going for HND or being an HND holder. Or I should say, nothing should be wrong with it. But from a different point of view, things may not be promising for you if you aim very higher with your certificate in the new Nigeria.

Federal Government has been working on bridging the gap between BSc and HND. This is why recently, in certain agencies, HND holders are upgraded to the level of their degree counterparts.

HND/BSC Balance can be achieved.
So what’s your position with your HND?

Below is a series of limitations with Higher National Diploma which Degree holders are not experiencing.

BSc holders are usually considered for teaching (education) without further qualifications. Whereas, HND holders are expected to have in addition, PDG – Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
BSc holders are mostly accepted for MSc admission without further qualifications. Whereas, some schools will not admit an HND holder without professional qualifications (such as ICAN etc) or PGD
BSc holders are usually assigned with administrative duties at work rather than practical field assignments which their HND counterparts are exposed to.
Except most recently and to a few government establishments, HND holders were formerly employed with Grade Level 7; GL07 as opposed to Grade Level 08 for BSc holders. Yet, they are still limited to advancing beyond Grade level 14.
Does this mean it’s a woe to be a holder of HND?

No.

But the best advice still remains the same. Upgrade yourself!

Then, how?

1. Obtain JAMB DE form.
Consider obtaining a Direct Entry form to further your education to BSc. If you want to win the same position as the BSCs, you must be there too. No other way!

I know this may sound absurd but it’s real and it can be the best thing to do. Most people have gone down to reobtain JAMB UTME and reapply to the university. That’s worse. But you have a quicker way.

If you obtain JAMB DE form with National Diploma (ND), you’ll be given admission to 200 level of your proposed course. But with HND, you could be given a 300 level course. Most schools are accepting this. See the list of those universities here.

For instance, UNILORIN, for Engineering, accepts HND in a relevant Engineering discipline at Distinction or Upper Credits level from recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology after NYSC and may be considered for upgrading to 300 Level.

This can be a way out of lower-grade stigma for HND holders too. For example, the University of Ilorin accepts HND Lower Credit for the following courses and more.

COMPUTER SCIENCE: in Computer Science
MASS COMMUNICATION: HND (at least with Lower Credit) in Journalism, Mass Communication, Public Relations and Advertising.
AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT: A Higher National Diploma (HND or equivalent) in Agriculture or related field of study with a minimum of lower credit from a recognized institution in Animal Husbandry, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Agricultural Economics and Farm Management, Food Science, Home Economics, Fishery, Forestry and Wildlife, etc; will be admitted into 300 level.
Note that I only use UNILORIN as a point of reference here, hundreds of other schools are accepting HND holders for Direct Entry admission on the same terms. Check JAMB brochure.

2. Obtain Msc Form of Schools Accepting HND Holders
As already mentioned, most schools are not considering HND holders for Masters programme. Yet we have a handful of these universities who admit you with a convincing grade if you have HND.

See the list below.

Achievers University Owo
Niger Delta University
Federal University of Technology Minna
Bayero University Dangote Business School
Afe Babalola University
University of Ilorin
And four others
This list will continually be updated, subscribe to this blog or bookmark this page for such future updates.

3. Obtain Top-Up Degree Form
This is equally called HND to Bsc Conversation programme. It is usually a year or two academic programmes that is taken to convert HND to Degree in the same or related course. This is why it is called HND-Bsc Conversion programme.

The programme can also be taken to upgrade a weaker degree grade in the same course or to another.

In most countries where Higher National Diploma is discriminated, holders of this qualification resolve to the Top-up degree to be equivalent to or recognised as their Bsc counterparts.

How does this work?

You obtain the form usually sold by universities. You’re admitted for a year or two academic classes, tests and exams and after, you’re awarded BSc.

Below is the list of schools where you can obtain HND to Bsc Top-Up Degree.

Kwara State University, Ilorin (State)
Bells University Abeokuta (Private)
Alhikmah University Ilorin (Private)
Southwestern University Nigeria (Private)
Delta State University (State)
Osun State Polytechnic Iree in Affiliate with Ajayi Crowther University etc.

source : https://www.dailyguide.com.ng/how-to-make-hnd-equate-or-beat-bsc-hnd-vs-bsc/
Crescent University Abeokuta also does conversion 2 year programme with no interruption. The university has 90 % score accreditation in all courses. My friend completed her there and is now is a PhD student at UI
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by adam4success(m): 6:41pm On Nov 09, 2019
wisewordd:
Own a working business and employ a Masters degree holder.
on point
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Xtralot: 6:54pm On Nov 09, 2019
OK
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Throwback: 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2019
highbee02:

were u not awarded the ND certificate upon the completion of your 2 year programme? if Yes, u don't need to add that 2 to your 2 year HND programme. I spent 3 years pursuing NCE before my Bsc/Ed and M.ed. Does that mean d 3 years spent for NCE should be added or subtracted from my degree programme?
NB: I did both SIWES and TP due to the nature my course of study.

I still do not understand your argument.

Can one obtain HND without first obtaining OND or a 2yr University Diploma, plus minimum of 1yr work experience?

Does it not take a minimum of 5yrs to obtain HND post WAEC O'levels? Or does the HND exist in isolation and can be obtained without the initial OND?

As it takes 3yrs to obtain your NCE from an O'levels state, so does it take a minimum of 5yrs to obtain HND from an O'levels state. Both qualifications feed into the university degree at varying direct entry points.

That you took the NCE route to a university, is the same way some take the OND or HND route to a university Direct Entry, except you chose to start afresh from the entry level of a university programme.

The argument I have made on this topic is why should it take a student 5yrs to obtain the inferior HND when the superior B.Sc is 4yrs, when the starting point for both programmes is that you have the qualifying WAEC/O'levels certificate.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Finestteebee(m): 7:38pm On Nov 09, 2019
[quote author=dave4rella post=83877873] grin

I have hnd and I'm satisfied with it
All I will do is to upgrade to masters degree because of promotion in my office.
If not, I wouldn't have bothered

I pity any hnd holder that will spend his limited resources trying to upgrade instead of looking for job....guy u get sense die

1 Like

Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Asquare84(m): 7:58pm On Nov 09, 2019
mubzynani:
Its so painful experiencing such dichotomy in a country like ours. The OP is right I'm also in my final year at Open University after graduating from Bida poly with upper credit

I am also a graduate of bida poly , but I will tell you to forget about certificate don't let anybody redicle you down I am comfortable working with my HND in the pension industry
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by calliope(f): 8:05pm On Nov 09, 2019
Throwback:

In the same present day labour market, Nigerians with OND + HND + B.Sc, are discarding their higher qualifications to apply with only OND for Total Production Operators job, or applying with their HND for NLNG Production Operator job, despite currently holding jobs with their more superior qualifications with a life of penury.

Trust me, as long as you are working as a paid employee with your own Bachelor's degree outside of the oil industry, your economic status is poverty compared to those guys.

Or you want to claim not to have seen Bachelor's degree applicants on numerous job boards, also asking if they can also apply for the OND jobs that are advertised by some Oil companies?

So before you say what you do not know about opportunities in the present day labour market, learn to accept that every qualification has its own role to play in the overall design.

This!!!!!
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by frikpus: 8:26pm On Nov 09, 2019
One can be an employer of labour with or without the the two cert. My brother, work let's work hard and leave the rest to God.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by crafteck(m): 8:41pm On Nov 09, 2019
Both na scam
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by agentakins: 9:06pm On Nov 09, 2019
Good
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by mechanics(m): 9:16pm On Nov 09, 2019
FUTMINNA does not admit HND directly for masters programme, they must pass through PGD, get your facts right.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 09, 2019
Buhatiku:
Good suggestion.

But please know that you need a Distinction result to get admission for Direct entry. Sometimes, Upper credit will do but a Distinction gives you a better chance.

By the grace of God, I went through Polytechnic and University.

Both have their strength and weakness.

The best candidate is the one who has attended both polytechnic and university.

I also possess and would like to do direct entry next year. but I'm really unsure of the institution to apply for due to extreme competition and institutional policies. I graduated with upper credit..your opinion could help.
Re: How To Make HND Equate Or Beat Bsc: HND Vs Bsc by Nobody: 9:52pm On Nov 09, 2019
Asquare84:

I am also a graduate of bida poly , but I will tell you to forget about certificate don't let anybody redicle you down I am comfortable working with my HND in the pension industry
lovely

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Daughter Of A Vulcanizer Becomes A Graduate (photos) / #WinterInOAU: Tension Doused As Police Nab Notorious Cultists / What Do Traditional Rulers Earn As Chancellors Of Universities?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.