Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF (20762 Views)

VP’s Office Pays ₦10M Hotel Bills Of Tinubu’s Daughter’s Guests - FIJ / Tinubu Returns NEMA, NAHCON To VP's Office / NYSC Scandal: Adebayo Shittu Lied! 1979 Constitution Did Not Contradict NYSC Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by chukwuibuipob: 12:37pm On Nov 10, 2019
Edygrin:
Mark my words, the north will still return to power come 2023.
ko possible. Come 2023,i'll campaign for a SE for president. Let ipob support one candidate, oduduwa,saro wiwas and some up North will vote for SE candidate. Ipob shouldn't allow Kanu to dconfus,confuse/scam dem
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by tunary(m): 12:41pm On Nov 10, 2019
Stupid constitution

Nigeria truly is a scam
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by 2018PROFSUNDAY: 12:41pm On Nov 10, 2019
Odee people na now you know useless and incompetent people I know for SURE that some day this Country will separated.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Front0lane: 12:43pm On Nov 10, 2019
The same way the Constitution provided jail time for foolish Ekwueme for the loot discovered on Shagari.
Only God know when you get get sense for Igbo land.
NaijaMutant:
Meanwhile, the Constitution only provided for him to be sharing 10k in every community.

We are still waiting for him in my village grin

Nonsense and ingredient
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by zicoraads: 12:43pm On Nov 10, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
The Constitution therefore must be changed
One of the few logical and sensible comments on Page 1.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by OROSUNBOLB(m): 12:48pm On Nov 10, 2019
Edygrin:

Trust me it will be very "good' for the unity of this country.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by imam07: 12:51pm On Nov 10, 2019
gaetano:

https://leadership.ng/2019/11/10/constitution-did-not-provide-specific-role-for-vps-office-acf/
See these half baked educated fools explaining constitution to us. So it is now u know d constitution does not provide specific role for d v.p.
Dont worry, history will repeat itself wen it reach ur turn to be v.p. Internet never forgets. Though that is if Nigeria still dey as a country.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by galadima77(m): 12:52pm On Nov 10, 2019
Jaynom:
They are right though! The Office Of The Vice President na wash! Vice Presidents are Figure Heads, puppets. The VPs office is more of a consolation

Same goes for deputy governors
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by ndukwejoe(m): 12:55pm On Nov 10, 2019
look who? ,Chief enjoy your wan naigeriya
Ngwamankillyou:
We should look Northern Nigeria directly to their eyeball and call their bluff or even create a visa regime between us.. Heaven won't fall.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Juliearth(f): 12:57pm On Nov 10, 2019
...true colours shinning through.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by danhans(m): 12:59pm On Nov 10, 2019
Big lie,there is a role provided in the Nigerian constitution Oga go and tell fools,Yorubas are just tool in the hands of hausas we from the Niger delta are ready any time any day to let them know the right thing to do. Give a Yoruba man eba he will sell his brother
. enjoy your meal

1 Like

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by CoolAmbience(m): 12:59pm On Nov 10, 2019
Wiseandtrue:
Very interesting, why didn't you say all these before the election

I no blame una, na Osibanjo and Tinubu I blame!!!

We for no dey for this mess

Intelligent people warned them

Did you even read what you wrote?

Pick a copy of Nigeria's constitution and read. Most of the VP's functions are assigned. You expect the FG to continue to pay 80 aides of the VP whereas one of the core responsibilities of the VP, which is the Social Investment Program, has been merged into a new, full blown Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Social Investment and Disaster Management.

I hope you aren't implying that you are intelligent 'cos obviously you aren't, not with a comment as this.

Did Osinbajo not represent the President in an international function few days ago? Didn't he preside over the FEC meeting last Wednesday?

You claim to be intelligent but didn't realize that allowing Osinbajo to sign the Deep Offshore Bill into law would amount to unconstitutionality, since the President's private visit isn't the same as a vacation?

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Nettybrown(m): 1:05pm On Nov 10, 2019
Edygrin:
And that's gonna be the end of Nigeria,quote me!
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by wisdomkid: 1:06pm On Nov 10, 2019
Who else is laughing at Osibanjo and the Yoruba people? grin grin grin grin grin
Always thinking they're wise but putting themselves at the mercy of the north ALWAYS..

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Arijude(m): 1:08pm On Nov 10, 2019
SHOPPERS:
Osinbajo can start sleeping at home now and get paid for doing nothing.

So much for those people that voted Buhari because " Osinbajo is learned, he will be the one running the government ideas"
yea, they said "we will rule indirectly "
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by mamaafrik(m): 1:12pm On Nov 10, 2019
Yoruba,start moving your puns,Tinubu will be playing into the hand of the Hausas if he dare allow his selfish goal to overide the whole Yoruba own,the South east and south South will be playing into their hands too be wearing the"we don't care apparel",we must unite with the South west and break the Northern block by moving out the North Central under a serious dialogue and reaching out ,i nmean of Full fledge Restructuring.
We seriously need to cut North to shape. Yoruba need to seriously learn from the ordeal of Pa Awolowo,his mistakes and his principles.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by MoneyMan5: 1:14pm On Nov 10, 2019
Enculer2:

Slave from a cowardly tribe

You mean Igbo people
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 10, 2019
Edygrin:
..that would be nice... we from the south don't have problem with another northern president... we just want the west to know that in the process of betraying the south, they ended up scamming themselves

4 Likes

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 10, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

I personally did. Unfortunately, they soon forgot their antecedents because of their selfish ambition .

1 Like

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 10, 2019
Vision2ae:
wtf....arewa aka buhari zombies....
anyway I blame us the south west ppl for always been divided because of the love of money of the powerful few....if we united in the last election..this clown would not be in power...
Waa gbayi. Unfortunately, all these mallams sabi catch us wella. They would woo our mumu leaders with intimidating money and once they get what the wanted, they'd make triple of whatever they've given our so called leaders. I never believed Tinubu could be this relegated and it serves him.right.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by klax(m): 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2019
But what is the problem.of the North as per this Vice president issue for goodness sake. What is wrong with these people

When Sambo was vice to Jonathan then Vice president is ok but anytime non Northerner is vice president the position suddenly become irrelevant, its then the quota system educated illiterate from the North will remember constitution says........blablabla isn't

But Abba Kyari has constitutional duty bah I think this development will make the South to learn that anything vice to any aboki president is hell no because this crap happened to Jonathan as Vice to Yardua, Diya faced same with Abacha, Aikhomu, Ebitu same with IBB and now it's Osibande nice one hope the South can learn better now.

Anyday power shift from North back to South hhmmm.......before it will reach their hand again wallahi they will suffer.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by airbrush: 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2019
Charleys:
They called the VP a sidekick,

They have turned the VP as office assistant, that boy wey them dey send go outside go buy mineral for them.

Just read it.

the insult is yet too strong a whole yoruba kingdom is called sidekick by some illiterate people from the north

1 Like

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Thegoodone13(m): 1:20pm On Nov 10, 2019
Edygrin:
forget about it. The president is coming to the south unless if what CIA predicted ,will come to pass in 2023. Emia of Sokoto said something like this. South West are not fool as you thought.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by adenigga(m): 1:21pm On Nov 10, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

But Osinbajo is a professor of law, former attorney general Lagos state, so , he knows that office of vice president & Deputy governor is a glorified errand boy office.

But because of the title, the financial benefits, majority cannot refused the post.

Arewa is right, no constitunal role for the second fiddle.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by madridsta007(m): 1:23pm On Nov 10, 2019
Edygrin:

Lol.
There are two kinds of people in this life:

1. Those who believe in this simple fact.
2. Those who believe in this fact, but pretend otherwise.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by lookingfly: 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2019
When we said don't vote bubu in 2015......they called us wailers. Who is wailing now?

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by jaxxy(m): 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2019
Edygrin:

because the other 2 major zones are at loggerheads.
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by adelaja70(m): 1:28pm On Nov 10, 2019
danhans:
Big lie,there is a role provided in the Nigerian constitution Oga go and tell fools,Yorubas are just tool in the hands of hausas we from the Niger delta are ready any time any day to let them know the right thing to do. Give a Yoruba man eba he will sell his brother
. enjoy your meal
E be like say you don forget when GEJ was TURAI YARADUA Houseboy.. Lmao!
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by Vision2ae: 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2019
Arubajagz:

Who will unite with you when your Hebrew scam leader Nnamdi calls the rest of the country a Zoo and you all gleefully come online to echo it?
bro south west no be kanu side ooo
no talk am outside
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by adelaja70(m): 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2019
airbrush:

the insult is yet too strong a whole yoruba kingdom is called sidekick by some illiterate people from the north
JUST THE WAY TAFAWA BALEWA TURNED THE GREAT ZIK TO SHOE SHINER... Lol
Re: Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF by MetaPhysical: 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2019
The apex northern soci-cultural group, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), yesterday said that the Nigerian constitution did not assign any role specifically for the office of the vice president and cautioned some Nigerians against fuelling crisis in the presidency.

ACF’s secretary general, Mr Anthony Sani, while reacting to insinuation by some Nigerians that the office of the vice had been relegated, said the constitution empowers the president to assign roles to the vice president.

“I am finding it hard to make out why the hue and cry about what is happening in the office of the vice president by way of some reorganisation of some functions and reassignment of some staff in the vice president’s office by the presidency.

“More so that both the presidency and the vice president have dispelled any misconception that there is a crimp between the president and the vice president,” Sani said, insisting that the constitution did not provide for any specific roles for the office of the vice president.

“Any function performed by the office of the vice president are at the pleasure of the president who has the right to assign and reassign both functions and the staff in the office of the vice president.

“If Mr President has decided to reorganise some of the functions hitherto performed by the office of the vice president as well as to reduce the reported 80 staff in the office of the vice president by 35 staff for performance, it is the constitutional discretion of Mr President to do so, and there should be no qualms,” Sani said.

As regards the president’s not transmitting a letter to the national assembly and not handing over to the vice president this time around that he travelled out, Sani said it was important to note that the constitution makes transmission of the letter mandatory only when the president would be absent from his duty post for at least 21 days.

“If the days of the absence from duty post are less than 21 days, I believe the president has the discretion to either transmit the letter to the national assembly and hand over to his sidekick or not. If the president has chosen to exercise his constitutional discretion this time around not to transmit the letter to NASS and hand over to the vice president because the days of his absence are less than 21 days, that is his constitutional right,” Sani added.

He said the current developments in the office of the vice president are not enough signs of a divided presidency, adding that the presidency had made clear of that.

“More so that the principal actors have said there is no problems between them.

But should there be any crimp in the presidency, my plead is for the president and the vice president to work hard and overcome what is trying to put the presidency asunder.This is very necessary because only purposeful leadership that comes from united presidency with clear thought and morality can deliver on the promise of the electoral mandate freely given by Nigerians,” he said.

I am providing here, free of charge, a tutoring for Mr Anthony Sanni.

The statement he is responding to was issued to the effect that Vice President Office is an Establishment of the Constitution. I quote below -

Chapter VI Part1 - The Federal Executive -

141. There shall be for the Federation a Vice-President.

142. (1) In any election to which the foregoing provisions of this Part of this Chapter relate, a candidate for an election to the office of President shall not be deemed to be validly nominated unless he nominates another candidate as his associate from the same political party for his running for the office of President, who is to occupy the office of Vice-President and that candidate shall be deemed to have been duly elected to the office of Vice-President if the candidate for an election to the office of President who nominated him as such associate is duly elected as President in accordance with the provisions aforesaid.

The above quote, and many sections after it ESTABLISHES A STATUTORY office and power for the VP. In contrast, no where in the Constitution can one find mention of a STATUTORY office for the Chief of Staff to President.

Those with Statutory powers, like the VP have order of preference and hierarchy of power to those who have not been designated with such powers, even if they sleep and wake with the President in same bed and eat out of same bowl.

Here is more of what Constitution says on Staff and is under same chapter above -

151. (1) The President may appoint any person as a Special Adviser to assist him in the performance of his functions.

(3) Any appointment made pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be at the pleasure of the President and shall cease when the President ceases to hold office.

Compare "duly elected" for VP to "appoint" for Staff/Advisers. Mr Sanni derailed the first publication to this effect.

On the issue of designation of roles, Sanni is correct. We are making too much noise over a clear and straightforward matter. To his credit, I present below what the Constitution says in continuation from above quoted Statutes -

148. (1) The President may, in his discretion, assign to the Vice-President or any Minister of the Government of the Federation responsibility for any business of the Government of the Federation, including the administration of any department of government.

The President has not done anything wrong in the manner he has delegated roles to the VP or to skip him and delegate it to others.

Yoruba will occupy this seat one day as President. The best we can do is pay attention and make mental notes...Buhari is setting the tone, we should not have any sense of guilt to follow in the practice. Simple! grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kano Emirate: Sanusi Loses As Court Rules In Favour Of Ganduje, PCACC / Biafra Quest Fuels Nigeria Conflict: Too Scared To Marry And Bury Bodies - BBC / Buhari’s Address At Inauguration Of National Economic Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.