Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,803 members, 7,827,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice (2140 Views)

Make Dua To Allah For Your Sick Brother. Ask Allah To Cure Him And All Muslims. / Is It Unislamic To Pray To Allah For A Male Child? / Muslims, What's Happening In Your Life? A Brother Needs your Assistance. Page 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by javalove(m): 10:52pm On Nov 16, 2010
Salam Alykun Warahmatulah Wbarakatuh

Eid Mubarak to Everyone

I have a little problem and I need everyone's candid advice. .

Let me start by asking a few questions

1. I know this might be absurd, but what is the best way or plan for someone whose work has almost taken over is entire life (lol) to keep up with solat times

2. Can someone's love for music or poetry affect his level of Iman? (I'm madly in love with poetry)

3. Does being the only muslim amongst friends affect Iman level?

4. Generally, what is the best way for a muslim to remain steadfast and maintain a constant relationship with Allah?

Now, here is the context in which I am asking this questions

I strongly feel my spirituality level is dropping It's not giving me peace internal. Reason being that I was not like this before and I am struggling to find where my fault lies. I feel like I have betrayed myself and sometimes cry. Could it be the too much music and poetry? Could it be my delayed solats? I

Bottom line is that I do not want to fall into the category of people who were close to Allah when it was complicated and rough and forget Allah when life becomes rosy.

I need ypur honest opinions on this on how best to maintain a perfect relationship with Allah.

May Allah reward you all as you reply

--
#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by azharuddin: 3:33am On Nov 17, 2010
Wa alaikumusalam warahmathullahi wabarakathuhu.

Eid Mubarak bro. The problems you are facing is faced by most of us. : (

javalove:

1. I know this might be absurd, but what is the best way or plan for someone whose work has almost taken over is entire life (lol) to keep up with solat times

I used to have the same problem. But now I am not going for work so I am able to pray regularly.
Do you ve a room in your work place where you ll be able to pray or a mosque nearby, ?

Abu Hurairahu (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "Say, if there were a river at the door of one of you in which he takes a bath five times a day, would any soiling remain on him?'' They replied, "No soiling would left on him.'' He (PBUH) said, '' That is the five (obligatory) Salat (prayers). Allah obliterates all sins as a result of performing them.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

2. Can someone's love for music or poetry affect his level of Iman? (I'm madly in love with poetry)

I have not heard anything against poetry. (correct me if i am wrong)

But music really effects you badly. It really decreases the level of Imaan.
I used to listen to a lot of music, but now i try my maximum not to listen to it. I ve kicked the habit of listening to it all the time. It really has helped me in my Imaan.

Hadith - Sunan of Abu Dawood, #4909, Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud
Salam ibn Miskin, quoting an old man who witnessed AbuWa'il in a wedding feast, said: They began to play, amuse and sing. He united the support of his hand round his knees that were drawn up, and said: I heard Abdullah (ibn Mas'ud) say: I heard the apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) say: Singing produces hypocrisy in the heart.

Yes it does. While i was in college i used to be in gang of friends which were mostly non-muslims. They succeeded in involving me in many bad activities. They Almost made me drink alcohol, But i was saved by Allah. Now i ve more Muslim friends and I have been able to discard the unwanted habits i had in college.

In an authentic Hadith, the Prophet Muhammad (saws) said: “A person is likely to follow the faith of his friend, so look whom you befriend.”
Abu Dawood and at-Tirmithi

4. Generally, what is the best way for a muslim to remain steadfast and maintain a constant relationship with Allah?

Ibadah and Imaan are two sides of the same coin. Doing more Ibadah increases our Imaan and more Imaan we have more Ibadah we do.

Few things that have helped me:
1. Reading the translation of Quran, and reading a lot of hadith.
2. Lots of Dikhr. When you are travelling alone. After salath.
3. Say Audhubillahi minashaiytani rrageem, Bismillahir rehmaanir raheem Before you do anything nice. Eg: going out of the house, while entering the house, before eating.
4. Byheart 'Ayatul Kursi', recite it while going out of house, when you feel you are troubled by shaitaan.
5. Before going to sleep recite Suratul Fathiha, Ikhlass, Falaq and Nas, Then Ayathul Kursi.
6. Try reciting Suratul Yaseen daily. Takes only 10mins. Once it becomes a habit you will definitely feel like reciting Quran more frequently. Try reciting it after Fajr prayer, its the time when you are never busy.

Always remember we live in this world only for a few years, But the life after that is eternal. Never underestimate the Mercy of Allah.
May Allah forgive us all and guide us in the right path. Ameen.
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 22, 2010
@Javalove,i know how you feel,av been in this situation before,i was a very good fan of Wasiu Ayinde's music,because its so inspirational just like the canabis smoker feels when they smoke,a day hardly pass without me listening to his tracks,e'g,SHERI AWON TI E E WO YIO AWON NI ISLANDER,and others make me cool,also naija hiphop,until i gave them back thier baggages when i read it and heard lecture that music and musical instrument is haram in the Quran and Hadith,fear grip me instantly,i tried to stop it by Allahs mercy,and before i say jack robinson i stopped it for that fear of Allah,even i try to tell other muslims that listen to them,and if i go to visit people and they start playing music,me i just leave and say byebye, i'll rather obey Allah and his messenger than to please people,thats why you will hardly see true muslims attend all this party,because they transgress too much,Alcohol,music and the party is not segregated,so you have to mix with marriageable people,may Allah strenghten you and make it easy for you,amin
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by xoxogg(f): 9:17am On Nov 23, 2010
javalove:

Salam Alykun Warahmatulah Wbarakatuh

Same as azharuddin said, is there a mosque close by, or a place u can pray @ work?- there are solat software u can install to remind u of prayer times, cos i suppose as a programmer u'll spend most time with ur computer.

javalove:

yes music affects your iman, i used to be a die hard music fan , so believe me it can be done. i used to sleep with my ear phones on, i knew the lyrics to all latest songs, bt Masha Allah, i no longer see the appeal. Can't say the day I lost interest, happened gradually, so make up ur mind n give it time. As for poetry, depends on the words, More knowledgeable ppl shuld be able to give u specific contents that shuld be avoided.

javalove:

well its not so much as being the only muslim as it is being different, whenever one is the odd one out, it tends to affect u subconsciously. But it affecting ur iman can be avoided by constantly reminding urself of who u r what u stand for .

javalove:

For me constant listening to Islamic lectures does it, they rejuvenate me and my iman is renewed all over.

javalove:

Now, here is the context in which I am asking this questions

I strongly feel my spirituality level is dropping It's not giving me peace internal. Reason being that I was not like this before and I am struggling to find where my fault lies. I feel like I have betrayed myself and sometimes cry. Could it be the too much music and poetry? Could it be my delayed solats? I

Bottom line is that I do not want to fall into the category of people who were close to Allah when it was complicated and rough and forget Allah when life becomes rosy.

Exactly this time last yr, i had the same dillema though in a different sense , i was having some doubts about my Islam. Allah sent someone to me and MashaAllah My iman has never been stronger. He mistakenly sent a text msg to my phone and i called back to alert him, as we got to talking turns out he's a strong muslim with a christain background. He answered a lot my questions, and though we'v never met, we kip in touch (once in a blue moon). He helped me through a lot and now i dont hesitate to call him for any advise.

My advice to you, first the recitation of the Holy Quran. It is absolutely cleansing and energizing. u  shuld try for at least a page after your morning solat.

U shuld also get a mentor, a more knowledgeable person whom you can call on and seek advise from.
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by javalove(m): 11:39am On Nov 23, 2010
@azharuddin

Jazakhalah Khairan for your post. . .

@uplawal

Lol. . .same problem I am having with Modenine. . .I know his lyrics like crazy. . .since i read azharuddin's response, I have not played any of his songs on my laptop. . .

My mind is telling me to delete them all but its a difficult thing to do. . .one part of my mind tells me , "shebi u are not listening to it. . .why delete it". . .the other part wants me to delete everything completely and give up my position as Modo's number 1 fan. . . grin

May Allah make it easy for me

@xoxo,

May Allah continue to increase you in knowledge. I listen to music like poetry cos i only choose those kinds of music that awakes my mental thought process. . in wordplays, metaphors and the rest, .

For poetry, I love Saul Williams, Amir Suleiman etc. . .but I still feel something is not right about Saul Williams poems even though he composes them with such brilliance. . .lines like "never Question who I am, God knows, and I know God personally, Infact he lets me call him me" scares the life out of me,

Amir Suleiman is muslim. . keeps beards and jump trousers but he is a poet and he is much into music. . .

As for solat, there is a mosque behind my office and i have my mat in the office too. Thats where I discovered that I was down sliding spiritually, when there is a mosque behind and a mat in my office and yet, I'm still combining prayers. . .oro buruku ohin te rin. . . but Alhamdulilah I am picking up. . .

And yes, i'm very much a programmer and I have the softwares, however, its not forgetfullness that is my worry, its having the heart and iman to drop everything i am doing when its time for solat. . .many a time I hear the adhan but stilll will not stand up from my sit (Auzubilah. . .Astagfurulah). . .may Allah strengthen my faith,

About getting a mentor, I have just a few muslim friends in this country. . .this would have been easier in naija. . .even the muslim friends i have, i jacked them all from the internet (facebook) and invited them to my house for iftaar during ramadan. . .Alhamdulilah

Anywayz, thanks alot for your contributions in making me a better muslim. I pray Allah rewards u all on Qiyamah, .

Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by xoxogg(f): 12:24pm On Nov 23, 2010
javalove:

@azharuddin

Jazakhalah Khairan for your post. . .

@uplawal

Lol. . .same problem I am having with Modenine. . .I know his lyrics like crazy. . .since i read azharuddin's response, I have not played any of his songs on my laptop. . .

My mind is telling me to delete them all but its a difficult thing to do. . .one part of my mind tells me , "shebi u are not listening to it. . .why delete it". . .the other part wants me to delete everything completely and give up my position as Modo's number 1 fan. . . grin

May Allah make it easy for me

@xoxo,

May Allah continue to increase you in knowledge. I listen to music like poetry cos i only choose those kinds of music that awakes my mental thought process. . in wordplays, metaphors and the rest, .

For poetry, I love Saul Williams, Amir Suleiman etc. . .but I still feel something is not right about Saul Williams poems even though he composes them with such brilliance. . .lines like "never Question who I am, God knows, and I know God personally, Infact he lets me call him me" scares the life out of me,

Amir Suleiman is muslim. . keeps beards and jump trousers but he is a poet and he is much into music. . .

As for solat, there is a mosque behind my office and i have my mat in the office too. Thats where I discovered that I was down sliding spiritually, when there is a mosque behind and a mat in my office and yet, I'm still combining prayers. . .oro buruku ohin te rin. . . but Alhamdulilah I am picking up. . .

And yes, i'm very much a programmer and I have the softwares, however, its not forgetfullness that is my worry, its having the heart and iman to drop everything i am doing when its time for solat. . .many a time I hear the adhan but stilll will not stand up from my sit (Auzubilah. . .Astagfurulah). . .may Allah strengthen my faith,

About getting a mentor, I have just a few muslim friends in this country. . .this would have been easier in naija. . .even the muslim friends i have, i jacked them all from the internet (facebook) and invited them to my house for iftaar during ramadan. . .Alhamdulilah

Anywayz, thanks alot for your contributions in making me a better muslim. I pray Allah rewards u all on Qiyamah, .

I now undastand ur plight better, is there a muslim store around you, get ur self some islamic books and cds or u culd visit islamic websites or download islamic ebooks. Particularly books that deal with the fundamentals of the Islamic faith, u need to remind urself of y u r a muslim in the first place and rebuild ur faith from the scratch. This would help you rejuvenate ur iman. Every oda thing like solat @ the right time follows naturally after a strong iman.

Btw- i'm also a programmer, i know how difficult it can be to drag urself away from ur computer, smiley smiley but alhamdulillah for Allah's Favours.
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by azharuddin: 12:40pm On Nov 23, 2010
javalove:

Go Ahead bro, Delete em, ; )
I too Had Gbs of music, Ipod n everything. I used listen to music in every genre. But I deleted all of em. Alhamdulillah.
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by woro: 1:08pm On Nov 23, 2010
salam alekun i quite understand ur plight from ur nature of work, the enviroment u find ursef  ur personal being etc  may Allah assist us all. my little contribution is  u must be strong willed that u av to keep to times of salat appropiately  as its very important  as quoted in surat baqqqarah. since there is a mosque or a mat around u wen its time pls just try as much as possible to stand up.Ur love for music cud affect ur iman unconsciously and unknowingly but try to do away wit them though its hard but since u know that its haram u can substitute that for islamic lectures,  reading islamic literatures.also th kind of friends u keep also affect u try to be amongst those u share the same faith ideology and orientation that is aw they can always remind u that its time for salat weneva u are together. practical ways to being steadfast (i)constant reading of quran meditate, reflect on it,feel sober about it ponder over it act accordingly(ii)listening to good lectures sunatic ones that will elevate ur iman ( iii)always be amongst the truthful ones  act according to islamic tenets this will make u to be mindful of Allah . may  almighty Allah make it easy for u and us over look our shortcomings and forgive our sins!!  amin  maa salam
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by javalove(m): 1:52pm On Nov 23, 2010
xoxo, :

I now undastand your plight better, is there a muslim store around you, get your self some islamic books and cds or u culd visit islamic websites or download islamic ebooks. Particularly books that deal with the fundamentals of the Islamic faith, u need to remind urself of y u r a muslim in the first place and rebuild your faith from the scratch. This would help you rejuvenate your iman. Every oda thing like solat @ the right time follows naturally after a strong iman.

Btw- i'm also a programmer, i know how difficult it can be to drag urself away from your computer, smiley smiley but alhamdulillah for Allah's Favours.

Jazaks,
U are a programmer too, good to hear, what languages, ? I do Java/php and work wiv the African Union in addis ababa, send me a shout smilewithjaji@gmail.com

azharuddin:

Go Ahead bro, Delete em, ; )
I too Had Gbs of music, Ipod n everything. I used listen to music in every genre. But I deleted all of em. Alhamdulillah.

Haaaaa. . .omo its very difficult for me!!!, . i will feel very bad if i do. . even thogh i have d iman not to open up my media player now. . . Make i delete everything, even exclusive modenine songs. . . grin grin grin grin Omo ko easy. . .but it seems i'm only buying time, i will eventually delete them cos its popping up on ma mind all d time

@woro

Thanks. .May Allah reward u abundantly. . .

Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by azharuddin: 2:31pm On Nov 23, 2010
@Javalove

You might have seen the the thread 'Muslims: What Did You Learn In Islam Recently?' https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-16387.0.html
Thats the thread which made me rejuvenate my imaan. I learnt some of those things when i was younger. But I was too busy 'enjoying' my life. But when I stumbled across this thread and read some of those posts, it was a reality check. Some conversations aside, most of that thread is really good. Try to go through all the informative posts. Its very nice.

P.s. I ve sent you a video of recitation of Suratul Yaseen to your email. Hope you dont mind : )
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by javalove(m): 2:58pm On Nov 23, 2010
Jazaks brother. . i have seen d video in my mail. . .

Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2010
@javalove,i wish the guy modenine knows how much you love his music,anyway,my own prayer is that,may Allah crush the spirit behind modenine music,amin.
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by xoxogg(f): 10:32am On Nov 24, 2010
javalove:

Jazaks,
U are a programmer too, good to hear, what languages, ? I do Java/php and work wiv the African Union in addis ababa, send me a shout smilewithjaji@gmail.com

Will give u a shout via email. We program in opposite directions sad, i'm a c#/VB.net/Asp.net person. cool cool. I thut Ethiopia had a large a muslim population, or did i think wrong.
Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by javalove(m): 11:23am On Nov 24, 2010
xoxo, :

Will give u a shout via email. We program in opposite directions sad, i'm a c#/VB.net/Asp.net person. cool cool. I thut Ethiopia had a large a muslim population, or did i think wrong.

Awwwww. . .i feel like throwing up. . . grin grin grin grin grin grin. . . .lol. . .You d second person (muslim sister) i v met coding in .NET. . .anywayz. . .the customers don't care about technology. . .just get d job done. . . grin

Yea, Ethiopia has a large muslim population. . .

Re: Getting Closer To Allah - A Brother Needs Your Advice by azharuddin: 3:08pm On Nov 24, 2010
I forgot to mention sadaqa,  Its the easiest thing to do,  with a huge benifit and certainly will increase our imaan.

Mu‘aadh bin Jabal (r.a.) related from the Prophet (s.a.w.s.)  “Sadaqah extinguishes sin as water extinguishes fire.”
(Ahmad, Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah)

(1) (Reply)

Usisky : Please Lets Have A Live Debate / The Special Features Of The Khawarij And Its Hukm 3 / Ukranian Bishop Accept Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.