Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,999 members, 7,814,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

From The Lens Of An Observer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / From The Lens Of An Observer (158 Views)

We Will No Longer Accredit Observer Groups That Don’t Submit Reports – INEC / Israel To Join African Union As An Observer State; I24news.com / 'Ekiti Election Fell Short Of Global Standards' - Say US Observer Group, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

From The Lens Of An Observer by dammyGold03: 9:06pm On Nov 11, 2019
Friday, the 8th day of November, 2019 smelt different in my town.
There were small clusters of people in different nooks and crannies and everyone I met that day had a big smile on their face. Bike men were extremely nice and I wondered what infected everyone.
For one reason or the other, I had to be at the airport and the what I saw made me wonder a little more.

Men and Women in different uniformed groups,
Young and old danced to an imaginary beat as the only sound I heard were those of car and bike honks.
The joy and exuberance in the atmosphere was so thick and infectious.
I forgot to mention this was about 2.30pm and no single squeezed face did was in sight under that scorching sun and high heat.
It was a tug of war to go in, you’ll think the likes of Burnaboy or Davido were in town.

Eventually, I entered and the airport at that time was filled with cars and so many people that I wondered if the town still had people left in it because it seemed everyone gathered here.

Women danced to beats from talking drums,
Young guys danced zanku,
Ibo boys with the legendary striped red, white and black cloth cap (the type Santa wears) danced the traditional Ibo dance to their traditional beat and whistle,
I even counted about three pregnant women,
Old men who counted their steps while walking,
Matching outfits everywhere.
Lest I forget; the dignitaries, lots of dignitaries showed up.
Was there a carnival I did not get a memo to?

Fast forward to 5pm, whoever everyone gathered there to see had not arrived but all were patient, excitement fast turned to admiration and longing on the faces of the people. Anytime a siren was heard, people who were denied access to the arrival lounge gathered around the barricade of the runway and hailed whilst chanting songs of victory. (I was of the opinion that a plane be in sight before the shoutings but the opposite happened).

In 15mins, everyone went to sit. Some sat in and on cars, some on grasses, some in gutters, more under the sun than under shades.
The dedication was jaw dropping.
Finally, as if some kind of rapture was about to take place at the sound and sight of a plane, the singing and dancing began again, everyone on their feet, I even saw guys climb the reservoir to watch.

The beautiful part was immediately the man they all patiently waited for showed face, every one had their two fists up and all moved it upwards at the same time whilst hailing.

I heard women praying, thanking God he came back
Men greeting themselves in some form of victory code
I couldn’t help but smile,
Security men ran around trying to clear the road,
It looked like the people’s saviour had arrived
Like a flash of light, I saw the man, glowing, all smiles, waving at the people and I did not even know when I waved too.
All I saw was pure love.
No, what I saw was beyond if some people were mobilized or not,
It was beyond humans working for their pay check,
What I saw was pure love.

My town is Akure City, Ondo State.
This man is the Governor of Ondo State, Arakunrin Rotimi Akeredolu.
Regardless of what you’ve read, heard or seen about this man,
Be reminded today that he is loved by his people.

Source:https://m.facebook.com/photos/viewer/?

(1) (Reply)

Vote According To Your Conscience ― Kogi Professionals / Police Seek Stakeholder’s Partnership To Combat Crime In Ondo / Governor Akeredolu Assures Conducive Learning Environment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.