Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? (360 Views)

Cost Of Non-Returning Lawmakers Heavy For Democracy — Lawan, Senate President / Ahmad Lawan, Senate Delegation Visit Late Uwajumogu Family / Orji Kalu’s Children Meet Ahmad Lawan, Senate President (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by shehuolayinka(m): 8:11pm On Nov 13, 2019
By, Fredrick Nwabufo

The senate marshalled by Ahmad Lawan has been convincing in confirming the stereotypes and assumptions about the institution.

In July, I wrote about Lawan’s obsequiousness and desperation to please President Buhari whom he described as his ‘’close friend’’.

I say again, Lawan has been dutiful in his obligation of inking ‘’rubber-stamp’’ on the senate. Soon after he became senate president, he assumed the ‘’role of unofficial spokesman’’ of Buhari and saddled himself with ‘’interpreting maladies’’.

And as a matter of fact, he has not relented in rising to the occasion as an ‘’interpreter of inefficiencies’’. Though he once vowed he would never be a ‘’rubber stamp’’.

Hear him: ‘’During my campaign, I was called a potential rubber-stamp senate president to the executive; maybe because I am close to the president, or because I believe in his cause. There is no time that I will ever be a rubber stamp. Yes, I believe in President Buhari as a person.’’

Really, Lawan has been effortless in maintaining the ‘’label’’.

Last week, the senate passed for second reading a bill to increase value-added-tax (VAT) without a ‘’debate’’. Some senators protested not knowing the content of the bill because they were not given copies of it; so, they cannot debate what they do not know.

Binos Yaroe, senator representing Adamawa south, raised a point of order, calling the attention of Senate President Lawan to this embarrassment.

Yaroe said according to the senate’s rules, every senator is meant to have copies of the bill.

“Our rules say that printed copies of the bill shall as soon as possible be sent to every senator,” he said.

“We are at the stage of the second reading of this bill. I don’t know for others but I have not received the bill, I don’t know how we can debate a bill that we have not received.”

But Lawan insisted that the vacuous debate would go on.

I wish the senate will apply the same dispatch on critical bills that will address poverty, the parlous education and infrastructure, and executive corruption.

How can the legislature perform its function as an institution of check when its leadership is a consort of the executive?

I believe the legislature and the executive must work together in the interest of Nigerians, but this does not imply succumbing to the influences of each another. That will be a confutation of the principle of separation of powers.

As I see it, the Buhari administration is employing Lawan’s senate as a contrivance for legitimising unpleasant policies. This senate, as a bedfellow of the executive, is the greatest danger to our democracy.

On October 29, Lai Mohammed, minister of information, said the government would regulate social media.

In his words: “I can assure you that we are also working on how to inject sanity into the social media space which, today, is totally out of control. No responsible government will sit by and allow fake news and hate speech to dominate its media space, because of the capacity of this menace to exploit our national fault lines to set us against each other and trigger a national conflagration. That is why we will continue to evolve ways to tackle fake news and hate speech until we banish both.”

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/11/13/hate-speech-bill-how-do-we-exorcise-ahmad-lawans-senate/

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by slimfit1(m): 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2019
They will push us to the place I want and they will be the victims watch. A bully will never stop bullying until you fight back.

3 Likes

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by lastmessenger: 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
What is the southerners still doing in this God forsaken country?
How can we continue to act like cowards ?
The people of the south must wake up from slumber before we are all consumed
Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
This is not lawan's Senate , it belongs to buhari, lawan is just a figurine, the senators are class pupils with an oh yes chorus clause.

2 Likes

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by Dikegodspower(m): 8:53pm On Nov 13, 2019
buhari is the president, and senate president. while lawan is the assistant senate president

2 Likes

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:09pm On Nov 13, 2019
Let our Igbo brothers too come be President na as na them remain abi na only criticize them sabi ni, who them get sef apart from Nnamdi Kanu Nwankwo
Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by paix(m): 9:12pm On Nov 13, 2019
The APC government has succeeded in neutralizing the Senate and the Judiciary. Thereby enabling the executive to usurp or annex the other two arms of government.

1 Like

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by Racoon(m): 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2019
This Ahmed Lawan-led senate is a tragicomedy that was long foreseen since Mr.President pocketed all the other arms of government.

1 Like

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by Racoon(m): 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2019
paix:
The APC government has succeeded in neutralizing the Senate and the Judiciary. Thereby enabling the executive to usurp or annex the other two arms of government.
This is the dreadful reality before Nigeria today bro.

1 Like

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by paix(m): 9:19pm On Nov 13, 2019
Racoon:
This is the dreadful reality before Nigeria today bro.
Wow, where are the youths?

1 Like

Re: Hate-speech Bill: How Do We Exorcise Ahmad Lawan’s Senate? by General0847: 9:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
Nigeria cannot go on like this for another decade...internal combustion.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Group Faults Presidency’s Selective Justice & Unholy Alliance With Outlawed MEND / Wadume: 4 Months After, Killer Soldiers Yet To Face Court Martial / Osinbajo Speaks At UAE Peace Forum, Meets Crown Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.