Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,729 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? (14462 Views)

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / I Want To Quit My Teaching Job: Advice Needed / What Are The Career Options For A Lawyer Migrating From Nigeria To Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Ladipodeal: 8:15am On Nov 14, 2019
phunbyt:

Yes bro.

The fueling will be done by the company. All i have to do is pick customers when there's a request. Obviously I'm paying for any damages to the car

You should not handle repairs. Let them do comprehensive insurance
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Xbee007(m): 8:16am On Nov 14, 2019
tunjilee003:
Nigeria have gone to the dogs.... The way graduates complain about unemployment makes me think about we the undergraduate, will the menace continue even after we graduate....i pray Nigeria get better soon....
Make sure you learn a skill.

2 Likes

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Globalistic(f): 8:20am On Nov 14, 2019
Your write up is very touching. I understand how you feel at the moment.

Let me respond by sharing my experience with you and others here.

I was born and raised in Calabar. I had my Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education in Calabar, Cross River State. Very popular in my area but still eating from hand to mouth.

In 2014, I took a bold step and relocated to Port Harcourt and squatted with my sister for six months. My very first month in PH, I took a teaching job with a salary of #22000 and few weeks later I got another teaching offer with a salary of #35000. If you were in my shoes, you would've gladly embraced #35000 salary right? But I took it to God in prayer and never had the conviction to go for #35000 salary. When my employer heard the rumour of my proposed new job, she never wanted loosing me for a close rival because both schools were in same area so she increased my salary by #3000 making it #25000 with abeg.

Six months later, I rented a single room; sharing bathroom and toilet with just one guy. My mission was to get a better job and meet personalities. I kept commiting my plans to God.

Please note that #35000 salary came with strict conditions while #25000 salary gave me liberty to submit CVs in different Organisations. I submitted CV in one multinational company and today, I can say is better than yesterday because I am no longer teaching.

Five years down the lane, I am happily married and blessed with a male child. Now live in a standard rented two bedroom flat, bought a plot of land and currently building.

So if you ask me? I will say "pray to God and believe Him". Then pick the driving job because driving will give you opportunity of meeting people as just one passenger connect can change your story.

Thank you

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by da3pu0(m): 8:25am On Nov 14, 2019
phunbyt:
I'm a graduate learning Programming at the moment.

Since I can't learn coding on an empty stomach with no support from anywhere, I decided to take up a job as a classroom teacher in a primary school. The pay is #22,000 + lesson fee of #8,000 and I get extra #2,000 for the transportation cost of one of my pupils.

My monthly transportation cost is #8,000
Hence take monthly income is #22,000.

The perks of lesson notes and marking is killing me, besides shouting upandan in the classroom as I get home mostly exhausted.

Now I got a "connect" to drive for a car hailing service in Ilorin (like uber). According to the guy I spoke with, the pay is between #25,000 to #30,000 not yet sure, also there is a tendency that I may have to spend t-fare of #6,000 that is if I'm not allowed to take the vehicle to my place.
Which will bring the monthly down to #19,000 or #24,000

But I'd have time to rest and i won't get exhausted as usual

Hence my confusion. Should I go with the stressful job with a better pay or the less strenuous one with a lower pay. Also I'm considering the lifetime of the businesses due to the seasonal revenue of Ilorin, the school has a better chance of survival than the car hailing service job.

Please advise me.

I would advise you not to take this driving job because the pay is nothing to talk about. But instead why can't you opt in for uber in Lagos . they earn better than some white collar jobs. If i am to sacrifice my certificate for a job I would know that the pay is better off.

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Raylight2(m): 8:35am On Nov 14, 2019
phunbyt:

Since I can't learn coding on an empty stomach with no support from anywhere, I decided to take up a job as a classroom teacher in a primary school. The pay is #22,000 + lesson fee of #8,000 and I get extra #2,000 for the transportation cost of one of my pupils.

The perks of lesson notes and marking is killing me, besides shouting upandan in the classroom as I get home mostly exhausted.

Now I got a "connect" to drive for a car hailing service in Ilorin (like uber). According to the guy I spoke with, the pay is between #25,000 to #30,000 not yet sure, also there is a tendency that I may have to spend t-fare of #6,000 that is if I'm not allowed to take the vehicle to my place.

Hence my confusion. Should I go with the stressful job with a better pay or the less strenuous one with a lower pay. Also I'm considering the lifetime of the businesses due to the seasonal revenue of Ilorin, the school has a better chance of survival than the car hailing service job.

Please advise me.

get a teaching job in a secondary School with good pay where you'll find mature minds. it'll give you lesser stress.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Elgaxton(m): 8:44am On Nov 14, 2019
I honestly teaching by far better. You can build a carrier in teaching and if you are ambitious enough you can get more certifications in teaching and build other people with the investment of your personality. So sad Nigeria sees teaching as a menial job. A Past President can decide to go back to teaching and will be honoured for it. The driving jobb doesnt even have much income compared to your teaching in this case. So teach, learn the skill, understand your student and it won't be stressful at all. YOU DONT NEED TO SHOUT TO CORRECT PEOPLE.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by sylve11: 8:49am On Nov 14, 2019
Paulo3ree:

Some will tear away some of your documents while checking them and still ask you of it

grin grin cool
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by PerfectAdvice(m): 8:52am On Nov 14, 2019
On top of dis, pls I want learn driving, driving like pro and knowing Lagos road too.
I want to go into uber .. Man have to eat, the hunger nor be here for this lagos

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by NICOGRAVITY: 8:56am On Nov 14, 2019
Sir, I humbly plead with you to remain in your teaching job.
Driving job will mess up your mind and thought process.
With the teaching, you are constantly developing your brain.
Sir, devote two hours daily to YouTube and within 6 months you are already professional in coding.
Going to a driving job will automatically lower your chances of better jobs in the future.
I will rather employ a teacher than a Driver.
Be wise, chose life.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Sammisco: 9:06am On Nov 14, 2019
Take d right step, driver ke, pls remain in ur teaching job.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by stanliwiser: 9:27am On Nov 14, 2019
phunbyt:

Please advise me.

Bro you're in a setup

My first question to you is this...
What is your qualifications? I mean academically

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Facidio: 9:30am On Nov 14, 2019
Better stick with the teaching and try to complete ur coding lessons. Coding is the future. Being a driver will lower your self esteem bro. Trust me

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Toseenlove: 9:34am On Nov 14, 2019
calculator123:

School na scam yet the future is only for entrepreneurs
I hope you employ agberos as your employee, radarada

Oga calm down. He Is kinda right. The only mistake he made was, He wasn't specific enough. He should have said "School na scam In Nigeria" Which Is arguably true. When u compare the percentage of people who are reaping the rewards of going to school to the percentage of the Agberos elites presiding over u people and the large numbers of illiterate business men with no Formal Education making It big In this nation.

You mention Agbero? Pls what Is difference between the people presiding over u In this nation, The likes of Jagaban et all and some office people? The difference Is they are "Wealthy Corporate Agberos In Agbadas and Suits. The truth Is, We are not really making the use of the Education we acquired over the years to Impact the society positively.

4 Likes

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Macon1212: 9:38am On Nov 14, 2019
Maybe you can look for another option. Think about motor accident, armed robbers associated with driving, it may cost you your life

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by naijaschoolguru(m): 9:46am On Nov 14, 2019
ogojaogoja:
Mr Teacher are u a graduate of computer science and if yes then I will connect u to a job that pays 100k and above, what is ur grade?
Bros abeg let's talk.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Hadassah4chi(f): 10:17am On Nov 14, 2019
I will advise that you stay put in the teaching job for now. You started the coding stuff while teaching ,you've been enduring why not finish up. After learning seek a new job with your new skill. Good luck anyways.
Meanwhile pls help a sister that is trying to make ends meet . Contact me for your customised handmade greeting cards for all occasions especially this yuletide season. 08163975264. (Whatsapp )

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by CELEBRITIZ(m): 10:19am On Nov 14, 2019
phunbyt:

Please advise me.

I hope you get to see this.
I'm a fresh graduate, presently serving in Abuja, and I'm learning programming. I made the place I'm learning programming my PPA, My class runs 1pm-5pm. Even with that, there is no time.
My development rate is improving. Though, I started from the scratch but I wish I shouldn't be on this level . What I'm trying, you need time for your self. Don't let anyone deceive you. The difference between you and me is, I'm hustling online and still get assistance by friends as well instead of doing physical labor. Except you aren't learning from scratch, bro you need time. I spend hours practicing, debugging, playing with Inspect tools, watching tutorial videos and all. It hasn't been easy. If you know you want to pursue programming as a career, you need time to work on your self or else your progress will be slow. All this people saying you should not leave teaching, don't mind them bro. Create time for yourself. You need more time to develop, unless you are doing it for fun.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by CELEBRITIZ(m): 10:24am On Nov 14, 2019
NICOGRAVITY:
Sir, devote two hours daily to YouTube and within 6 months you are already professional in coding.
Going to a driving job will automatically lower your chances of better jobs in the future.
I will rather employ a teacher than a Driver.
Be wise, chose life.

Just 2hrs?
I read Comment here, i realized most of you don't know programming at all. I

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by CELEBRITIZ(m): 10:28am On Nov 14, 2019
Facidio:
Better stick with the teaching and try to complete ur coding lessons. Coding is the future. Being a driver will lower your self esteem bro. Trust me
I understand what you are trying to say, but teaching job is very stressful. If he want to leave let him leave. I've friends who ran away from teaching job. You won't have time for yourself at all. For him to be seeking an exit, that means he is fed up

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by CELEBRITIZ(m): 10:31am On Nov 14, 2019
NICOGRAVITY:
I will rather employ a teacher than a Driver. Programmers debug for hours, I mean hours, some days, some weeks. I'm not talking about coding, just debugging ( looking for errors). And Java script will mess is head up. To be sincere he needs time for himself
Be wise, chose life.
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by NICOGRAVITY: 10:45am On Nov 14, 2019
CELEBRITIZ:

Just 2hrs?
I read Comment here, i realized most of you don't know programming at all. I

Is programming rocket science?
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by BarrElChapo(m): 11:00am On Nov 14, 2019
VirginSearcher:

Teaching is a more respectable profession than being a driver, so no! My reason is that if you teach u are also developing yourself, u will be free from heavy abuse/insults most drivers get on daily basis, if not that the country is useless u can progress quick in case u wanna further studies if interested in full time lecturing job and its good u are learning programming too. Just teach one day God will uplift u forget the easy shortcut to success bro, its not what u think. For me, I would say do the teaching job and take up the driving job as part time, say Saturdays and Sundays or after school hours if u keen to double your hustle angry I know guys doing same and using it to pay their bills undecided

Cos of this advice that's why you crossed all his original post eh angry
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Lescott7(m): 11:07am On Nov 14, 2019
Globalistic:
Your write up is very touching. I understand how you feel at the moment.

Let me respond by sharing my experience with you and others here.

I was born and raised in Calabar. I had my Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education in Calabar, Cross River State. Very popular in my area but still eating from hand to mouth.

In 2014, I took a bold step and relocated to Port Harcourt and squatted with my sister for six months. My very first month in PH, I took a teaching job with a salary of #22000 and few weeks later I got another teaching offer with a salary of #35000. If you were in my shoes, you would've gladly embraced #35000 salary right? But I took it to God in prayer and never had the conviction to go for #35000 salary. When my employer heard the rumour of my proposed new job, she never wanted loosing me for a close rival because both schools were in same area so she increased my salary by #3000 making it #25000 with abeg.

Six months later, I rented a single room; sharing bathroom and toilet with just one guy. My mission was to get a better job and meet personalities. I kept commiting my plans to God.

Please note that #35000 salary came with strict conditions while #25000 salary gave me liberty to submit CVs in different Organisations. I submitted CV in one multinational company and today, I can say is better than yesterday because I am no longer teaching.

Five years down the lane, I am happily married and blessed with a male child. Now live in a standard rented two bedroom flat, bought a plot of land and currently building.

So if you ask me? I will say "pray to God and believe Him". Then pick the driving job because driving will give you opportunity of meeting people as just one passenger connect can change your story.

Thank you

You spoke about declining a high paying teaching job for one that gives you time to apply.
I'm in a very difficult situation like that. I finished service this year July in a private school, I was offered an option to stay which I took. This school is one of the top schools in the location it is. My take home is 48k as a primary assistant class teacher. I finished with a 2.1 and currently managing to write ICAN. I have always been applying to some top jobs in the industry I want, most times they invite me for interview but there is no way I can go for the interview. I have even written a job test online and passed, subsequently invited for the 2nd stage of the assessment but this school doesn't give one chance to see opportunities outside.

When they got to know that I am still writing ICAN after service because I started when I was serving with them, they felt bad and always look me with one kind eye...lol Imagine going to work on the day of ICAN exam? I was in school yesterday, they only allowed me to leave when it was about 2hrs to my paper.

I made a huge mistake accepting the job. Reading your own story made me realized the mistake I made.
PS: Not all jobs worth staying on as a fresh graduate , a job that doesn't allow one to see opportunities outside is not worth it.
I should have taken a small paying job or decline the offer then so as to pursue my dream.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by esan1(m): 11:18am On Nov 14, 2019
djbussy:
Compare the challenges first.
If you are a driver and you own the car , Yes , meaning it is your personal business. If you a driver but deliver money to the owner , no. If you are a teacher , meaning you work under someone, except you are the owner of the school. I have done both before. When I was a driver , the car was mine, when I was a teacher, I taught both adults and kids but I was working under someone who pays me what we all call salary. But been a driver pays more. You make more money from been a driver if the car is yours but been a teacher you can also make money but both have different challenges you must face. For me , you be the one to decide , any way can give you money . Alubarika lo se Pataki ju.
please take this advice.
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by jmichael259(m): 11:41am On Nov 14, 2019
phunbyt:

Yes bro.

The fueling will be done by the company. All i have to do is pick customers when there's a request. Obviously I'm paying for any damages to the car

I too went into the transport sector after working in a school. It pays hugely but it has many life changing obstacles. Are you bullish enough?
What time do you resume and close daily?
Do you sit at a park and they load the passengers?

If it's exactly ride hailing service like Uber, bolt or airport taxi or a trans company like rtc, gig, aktc I would support you. But if it's town service like danfo or taxi drivers, I doubt if you can cope with the tours and passengers insults and you may not have time for your program during the days.

2 Likes

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Treasure17(m): 1:05pm On Nov 14, 2019
Base on your analysis op. Stick with the teaching job. Driving can be exhausting too especially when you are not the owner of the car. From maintenance to delivery stuff.. Hmmm. You better go for the teaching job. You are even lucky a primary school is paying twenty two thousand naira in Ilorin. The Ilorin I know o. Maybe Romeichs sha.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Weirdgee: 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2019
Guy do stick to that teaching job is better than the driving work...but that is if u take good advice. Have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by codinight: 2:19pm On Nov 14, 2019
Software development is no joke. I've been a software developer for over a decade now and there's still so much to learn. To master software development you need a lot of time and concentration. If your current job doesn't give you enough time, quit and take up driving. What awaits you as a proficient software developer is enormous, for example it's quite easy to gain entry into Europe right now as a software developer, but as you might imagine your software development prowess must be at per with that of developers in those countries. There's nothing in Nigeria i tell you, dream bigger. The average software developer salary in Europe is about 70,000 euros, still confused? I hope not.

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by Whyzaid(f): 4:51pm On Nov 14, 2019
I think it depends on your area of interest. What you love doing and what you have passion for

1 Like

Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by rafcrown(m): 11:11am On Nov 15, 2019
Continue teaching
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by ogojaogoja(m): 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2019
mail on professorofepide@gmail.com
Re: Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? by CELEBRITIZ(m): 8:42pm On Nov 24, 2019
NICOGRAVITY:

Is programming rocket science?
Don't say what you don't know. I'm speaking from experience

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? / Entries For The Kukah Prize For Young Innovators Now Open / 10 Things That Could Ruin Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.