Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,198 members, 7,822,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? (4722 Views)

Football Commentator Sacked After Falling Asleep During UCL Match / Football Commentator Sacked After Falling Asleep During Champions League Match B / Most Hilarious Comments Made By The Commentator Of Brazil 1- Germany 7 Match (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Akolawole(m): 3:04am On Jan 21, 2006
It is an open secret that Commentators add spices to the game of football in Nigeria.

Who is your favourite out of the lot?

Charles Ojugbana, Manaisara Ilo, Tolu fatoyinbo among others

For me , i choose Late Earnest Okonkwo, the man who coined "Gangling rasheed yekini", "Mathematical Segun Odegbami", "Chief Justice Adokie", "Owo-blow Felix Owolabi", "Chairman Christian Chukwu" among others.

Who is yours?
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by DoubleRevv(m): 11:44am On Jan 21, 2006
Ally McCoist...actually i've only heard him in this Fifa game I play.
"What was he trying to do, burst the ball?" cheesy and I saw him in the movie[i]"Bend It Like Beckham"[/i]
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Farriel(m): 4:18pm On Jan 21, 2006
Mine is Michael Abrahamson, a South African who commented in some games in the last World Cup in Korea/Japan.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by c0dec(m): 12:30am On Jan 22, 2006
Archie Mcpherson - used to commentate on eurosport. don't know if he still does.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by teeroy(m): 11:14am On Jan 30, 2006
I really dont fancy the nigerian commentators that akolawole mentioned...they are a bunch of local hypes apart 4rm Ernest Okonkwo. any commentator that refers to a player as "jersey no 14" and so on is incompetent. and besides,these nigerian commentators are boring...they can make u fall asleep during a match. the just dont make the cut. Martin Tyler,Gerry Armstrong,Gary Bloom,Derek Rae....now these are the guys....waiting to hear from u
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Akolawole(m): 5:54pm On Jan 30, 2006
teeroy:

I really don't fancy the nigerian commentators that akolawole mentioned...they are a bunch of local hypes apart from Ernest Okonkwo. any commentator that refers to a player as "jersey no 14" and so on is incompetent. and besides,these nigerian commentators are boring...they can make u fall asleep during a match. the just don't make the cut. Martin Tyler,Gerry Armstrong,Gary Bloom,Derek Rae.now these are the guys.waiting to hear from u

You don't fancy Nigeria Commentators !

Those that you mention: Where are they from?, Which stations do they work for?

Listen to Feyi Ogunduyile's commentary then you will bow cool
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Azubike77(m): 1:15am On Aug 18, 2008
Its very difficult to chose a favourite Football Commentator. I shall assume the premise for this question is focussing on Nigeria's present  and past commentators.
For me it has to be the late Sebastian Ofrum. Why?, This is because on several occasions  my friends and i while watching  matches at the National Stadium  and while watching the games tuned to live commentaries on our transistor radio and although Sebastian Ofrum does not carry you away with emotions  but however was able to tell you the position and location of the ball . This is what really matter for the  Radio  listener.

Only very few Nigeria Football Commentators displayed this very important trait in our game. Perhaps , the late Earnest Okonkwo, Dele Adetiba, late Sebastine Ofurum and Richard Makinde ( in the 80s).
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by gabelogan(m): 1:21am On Aug 18, 2008
tommy smith
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Azubike77(m): 2:12am On Aug 18, 2008
Who is tommy smith, who never heard .
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by HNIC(m): 8:47am On Aug 18, 2008
Tommy Smith is that baldie on ESPN who never sees anything good in Arsenal
He seems to be pro-man utd all the time
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Azubike77(m): 7:00pm On Aug 20, 2008
Did anyone listened to Live Football commentaries on the Nigeria/Belgium Semi-Final clash via Radio Nigeria?

I did. However  i would rather reserve my comment because i was only able to listen  to Radio Nigeria via the internent  from here in Atlanta Georgia. Congratulations to Samson Siasia and the Green Eaglets. You made us Proud.

While i appreciate the technical problems encountered during the live commentaries i found the game difficult to follow. 
Did any one really understand or make sense of the ball to ball description of the game?

The quality of delivery of the current Nigeria's Sport Commentators seemed to have gone out of the window. Once again gone are the days of great football commentators like the late Sebastine Ofrum, late Earnest Okonkwo, Richard Makinde and Dele Adetiba

Does any one know the names of the current Nigeria's Football Commentators? Which one of these really had the microphone during the Nigeria/Belgium game ?
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Smi1(m): 1:51am On Mar 24, 2010
Versace & Ferragomi grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by snakova(m): 4:22pm On Mar 24, 2010
Tommy Smith
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Gekko(m): 5:21pm On Mar 24, 2010
Ray Hudson is a legend, the best colorful commentator in my opinion.
Re: Who Is Your Favourite Football Commentator ? by Iyineda(m): 6:38pm On Mar 24, 2010
I don't know their names but all I can say is that my favourite commentators are Englishmen. I love their accent, the way they use their words. It's seems so ordinary but very effective and sometimes hilarious! grin

(1) (Reply)

Adidas Is Not Marketing The Super Eagles Like Its Other Customers / All About Latest News, Gist, Gossip, Health, Fitness, Sports, Worldnews, / 10 To Watch In Nigerian Premier League This Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.