Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,313 members, 7,836,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police (1240 Views)

Secret Police, DSS Deny Sowore Access To Nnamdi Kanu As He Demands His Release / Before We Crucify Governor Soludo / Abba Kyari: DSS Writes Segun Adeniyi; Warns Against Denigrating Secret Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by aguele(m): 9:40pm On Nov 14, 2019
Sowore: Before we crucify the secret Police

By Idoko Ainoko

The recent attacks on the Department of State Service (DSS) with regards to the handling of the demonstrators demanding the release of the publisher of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore, is at best uncharitable. I say this for the fact that the demonstrators acted out of ignorance, and as usual, some segment of the country that does not see anything right with this present administration went to the market.

They were quick to cast aspersion and attempt to crucify the secret Police. This is somewhat not surprising in the sense that the nation has witnessed the upsurge of individuals and organizations that are hell-bent on causing unrest in the country. And the free Sowore protesters fall under this same category.

We must get the issues in proper perspectives and counter the harmful intentions of those that are hell-bent on causing unrest in the country. The Omoyele Sowore issue is a case of an attempt to instigate the people against the constituted authorities and by extension effecting a change in government by calling for a revolution. If this is not a treasonable offense, I don’t know what else to call it unless the gang of monetarily induced protesters would feign ignorance to the consequences of calling for a revolution that would see to the overthrowing of a democratically elected government.

Let us make no mistakes; national interest should always surpass personal interest if we are desirous of making progress in this country. We must learn to call a spade and spade in the interest of the sensibilities of over 180 million Nigerians who have nowhere to call home other than here.

I also wonder how some individuals’ would think they can attempt to cause mayhem in the country and walk away scot-free. Even in civilized climes, there are consequences for our actions and inactions. Can an Omoyele Sowore go to the United States and call for a revolution and street protest if he has some reservations about the effectiveness of government? The answer is a huge no. And so, the question is why such anomaly should be tolerated in Nigeria?

That aside, when an individual is viewed as a high risk to societal peace, would it be wise to have such an individual in circulation to cause more damage? There are cases of such individuals in Nigeria that, for the sake of National interest, they must be kept outside circulation till the determination of their cases by a court of competent jurisdiction.

This, in a way, explains the case of former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, as well as the founder of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Ibraheem El-Zarzarky. You would agree with me that these individuals, as well as Omoyele Sowore, are high-risk individuals and by extension, agents of destabilization.

The law is clear on this, and this much we must come to terms with. I am quite sure that if the revolution that Omoyele Sowore had planned succeeded, the bulk of the people clamouring for his release under various nomenclatures would have been greatly affected. Again, just maybe they either by omission or commission refused to see the disservice in that revolution agenda. And just perhaps, they thought calling for violent change would do Nigeria and Nigerians any good.
My opinion has been this, and it won’t change anytime soon. There are decent ways of expressing grievances if such grievances are genuine. But to call for violence is a no and would remain one, especially in a democratic setting. The wounds of the civil war in Nigeria are still fresh in our minds, and to think someone somewhere would opt to set Nigeria once again on that dangerous path is most despicable.

So, just before we elect to crucify the secret Police, we should task our conscience to understand that an offense was committed in the first place, and that gave rise to the actions taken by the government in the overall interest of the generality of Nigerians. Some might want to argue that a court had granted him bail and he was refused bail. But what they failed to understand was that there were conditions that must be fulfilled before bail would be granted. And is it on record that his bail conditions were met and the secret Police refused to release him?

We should not be deceived by the antics of some people who are gifted in the art of spreading fake news to win public sympathy. Some also argued that the bail conditions were stringent, and my answer is: calling for violence to set the country on fire is grave enough for strict bail conditions to be issued.

I believe that the government must act decisively to serve as a deterrent to others. This is the case with Omoyele Sowore. And my advice for those that pursue public causes blinded is that they should employ objectivity and sound reason because National interest is the watchword, and no individual is bigger than the country. Nigeria cannot afford any attempt at truncating its nascent democracy. We must call a spade a spade.

Ainoko wrote this piece from Kaduna.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Lawalemi(m): 9:42pm On Nov 14, 2019
We know your type. Definitely, you are reasoning as a northerner that is hell-bent on protecting one of their own in power

5 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by mrvitalis(m): 9:43pm On Nov 14, 2019
aguele:

By Idoko Ainoko

The recent attacks on the Department of State Service (DSS) with regards to the handling of the demonstrators demanding the release of the publisher of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore, is at best uncharitable. I say this for the fact that the demonstrators acted out of ignorance, and as usual, some segment of the country that does not see anything right with this present administration went to the market.

They were quick to cast aspersion and attempt to crucify the secret Police. This is somewhat not surprising in the sense that the nation has witnessed the upsurge of individuals and organizations that are hell-bent on causing unrest in the country. And the free Sowore protesters fall under this same category.

We must get the issues in proper perspectives and counter the harmful intentions of those that are hell-bent on causing unrest in the country. The Omoyele Sowore issue is a case of an attempt to instigate the people against the constituted authorities and by extension effecting a change in government by calling for a revolution. If this is not a treasonable offense, I don’t know what else to call it unless the gang of monetarily induced protesters would feign ignorance to the consequences of calling for a revolution that would see to the overthrowing of a democratically elected government.

Let us make no mistakes; national interest should always surpass personal interest if we are desirous of making progress in this country. We must learn to call a spade and spade in the interest of the sensibilities of over 180 million Nigerians who have nowhere to call home other than here.

I also wonder how some individuals’ would think they can attempt to cause mayhem in the country and walk away scot-free. Even in civilized climes, there are consequences for our actions and inactions. Can an Omoyele Sowore go to the United States and call for a revolution and street protest if he has some reservations about the effectiveness of government? The answer is a huge no. And so, the question is why such anomaly should be tolerated in Nigeria?

That aside, when an individual is viewed as a high risk to societal peace, would it be wise to have such an individual in circulation to cause more damage? There are cases of such individuals in Nigeria that, for the sake of National interest, they must be kept outside circulation till the determination of their cases by a court of competent jurisdiction.

This, in a way, explains the case of former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, as well as the founder of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Ibraheem El-Zarzarky. You would agree with me that these individuals, as well as Omoyele Sowore, are high-risk individuals and by extension, agents of destabilization.

The law is clear on this, and this much we must come to terms with. I am quite sure that if the revolution that Omoyele Sowore had planned succeeded, the bulk of the people clamouring for his release under various nomenclatures would have been greatly affected. Again, just maybe they either by omission or commission refused to see the disservice in that revolution agenda. And just perhaps, they thought calling for violent change would do Nigeria and Nigerians any good.
My opinion has been this, and it won’t change anytime soon. There are decent ways of expressing grievances if such grievances are genuine. But to call for violence is a no and would remain one, especially in a democratic setting. The wounds of the civil war in Nigeria are still fresh in our minds, and to think someone somewhere would opt to set Nigeria once again on that dangerous path is most despicable.

So, just before we elect to crucify the secret Police, we should task our conscience to understand that an offense was committed in the first place, and that gave rise to the actions taken by the government in the overall interest of the generality of Nigerians. Some might want to argue that a court had granted him bail and he was refused bail. But what they failed to understand was that there were conditions that must be fulfilled before bail would be granted. And is it on record that his bail conditions were met and the secret Police refused to release him?

We should not be deceived by the antics of some people who are gifted in the art of spreading fake news to win public sympathy. Some also argued that the bail conditions were stringent, and my answer is: calling for violence to set the country on fire is grave enough for strict bail conditions to be issued.

I believe that the government must act decisively to serve as a deterrent to others. This is the case with Omoyele Sowore. And my advice for those that pursue public causes blinded is that they should employ objectivity and sound reason because National interest is the watchword, and no individual is bigger than the country. Nigeria cannot afford any attempt at truncating its nascent democracy. We must call a spade a spade.

When PDP takes over they would arrest all APC top guys label them security threat n disobey any court other for their release ...if u complain then thunder would fire u

10 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Officialgarri: 9:46pm On Nov 14, 2019
This is just like dragging us back.
You see, I also believe that calling for revolution is a terrible offence and Infact a threat to democracy and the peace of the nation.

But we must take note of what we call "rule of law".
If a court declares an obvious murderer a saint, then he is a saint.
Since the court granted Sowore bail, I think no one under the law should hold him in detention again at least for that period

1 Like

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 14, 2019
All ye Politrickians!!

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by scribble: 9:52pm On Nov 14, 2019
What a stupid write up

The dss like pres buhari and his dumbern cabal need to be thrown into the pit latrine where they belong

Gatemen and shoemakers that have no business running a canteen talkless of a country

2 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by contigiency(m): 10:14pm On Nov 14, 2019
Officialgarri:
This is just like dragging us back.
You see, I also believe that calling for revolution is a terrible offence and Infact a threat to democracy and the peace of the nation.

But we must take note of what we call "rule of law".
If a court declares an obvious murderer a saint, then he is a saint.
Since the court granted Sowore bail, I think no one under the law should hold him in detention again at least for that period

Did you say rule of law? As if you didn't read where Sowore said he doesn't care and nobody should tell him the legal implications of what he was about to do. And now people are saying the same rule of law he rejected should be used to free him. Habaaa!! You can't blow hot and cold at the same time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Nkemtreasure: 10:17pm On Nov 14, 2019
So are you saying that the courts don't have our national interests at heart? Are you also saying that the government who should be an example to obeying the law of the courts should choose the ones to obey? Are you attempting to to that our constitution should be trampled upon by the government and charging someone else for attempting to break the law of the land?
Sir, you aren't the author of this piece but for you to paste this here make you responsible for it. Sir you are very wrong. How can you justify using an offense to correct another one...

5 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by netpro(m): 10:35pm On Nov 14, 2019
Why has those who stand as surety to bail him doing hide and seek. Can't they step forward and pick the guy?

1 Like

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Inteltower: 10:45pm On Nov 14, 2019
aguele:

By Idoko Ainoko

shut your trap

when Buhari called for revolution what is your view about that ?

isnt the past election carrying the question mark of rigging

what so called national interest are u talking about

I don't have your time

3 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 14, 2019
[quote author=aguele post=84033879]Sowore: Before we crucify the secret Police

By Idoko Ainoko

We must get the issues in proper perspectives and counter the harmful intentions of those that are hell-bent on causing unrest in the country. The Omoyele Sowore issue is a case of an attempt to instigate the people against the constituted authorities and by extension effecting a change in government by calling for a revolution. If this is not a treasonable offense, I don’t know what else to call it unless the gang of monetarily induced protesters would feign ignorance to the consequences of calling for a r[quote]
Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Inteltower: 10:53pm On Nov 14, 2019
what a stupid write up

incompetence should never be rewarded with blind loyalty that's what emphasis of the revolution.
not only was it targeted at the current president but the political structure that has been breeding corruption, mismanagement, marginalization and elite superiority.

I can assume that you were paid to write this rubbish.. how much did they pay you ?

national interest my foot...
keep using that as a cover for elite & tribal interest
.activists & the SE are your major problems because campaign for Justice, equity & a working structure

disgrace of a writer..

3 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by JonDon12: 10:55pm On Nov 14, 2019
aguele:

By Idoko Ainoko

All this write up for Tuwo. U for ask, I for western union u the money instead of may u sell your integrity. Call a spade a spade; Nigeria is a joke, Buhari is a despot, Yele, Chido Onumah, Jones Abiri and the other NUMEROUS Nigerians DSS has arrested have had their HUMAN RIGHTS stolen from them.

Buhari is and has been the most destabilizing personage in this 4th republic. So Mr Idiot Ko Anioko Ni, U are a Beggar. An Idiot, A Stooge, A sock puppet. If your children need Tuwo, it for better may dem go beg like dem cousins instead of writing this piece of shit trying to justify injustice

2 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 14, 2019
Pay writers at the beginning you try shifting blame, be careful on the pit you are digging because you may end inside,the govt is evil disobey court orders at will, the BMG even includes Dasuki as a threat to Nigeria .with hungry pay writers like you this country will be grounded

1 Like

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by MacBan: 1:44am On Nov 15, 2019
When an article is this long... it's likely laced with lies to fit in the writers narrative. There's no justification for the actions of the DSS. cheesy... Although karma I'd say paid Sowere a courtesy visit grin cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by ChoCho54(f): 6:31am On Nov 15, 2019
contigiency:

Did you say rule of law? As if you didn't read where Sowore said he doesn't care and nobody should tell him the legal implications of what he was about to do. And now people are saying the same rule of law he rejected should be used to free him. Habaaa!! You can't blow hot and cold at the same time.
You have spoken like a typical z..b!
Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by contigiency(m): 7:18am On Nov 15, 2019
ChoCho54:
You have spoken like a typical z..b!

People like you lack intelligence to contribute meaningfully to a discussion. Once you have dropped the word zombie, you go home happily thinking that you have made a good contribution.
Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by ChoCho54(f): 7:32am On Nov 15, 2019
contigiency:

People like you lack intelligence to contribute meaningfully to a discussion. Once you have dropped the word zombie, you go home happily thinking that you have made a good contribution.
Where did you see zombie in my post? Z...b!
Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by gidgiddy: 7:52am On Nov 15, 2019
aguele:

By Idoko Ainoko

This write up seeks to criminalise and pass sentence on Sowore even before a competent court of the land has declared him so. This is jungle mentality. The constitution operates on "presumption of innocence" until a court verdict says otherwise. A competent court of the land has granted Sowore bail, with stringent conditions. If he has met his bail conditions, why hold him and disobey court orders? Is the DSS now above the law? Are we in democracy or military rule? Are we practicing rule of law or rule of the mob? If we are practicing democracy and the rule of law then anyone who supports the flouting of court orders needs to have their head checked. Anyone who supports the continued detention of Sowore when a court has set him free is a fool. This sort of lawlessness was applied to Nnamdi Kanu and Dasuki and some people condoned it on idea that they were a threat to national security

It is the courts of the land that determines who is high risk and what is national security, not the DSS or the Government

1 Like

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Vicanious: 8:16am On Nov 15, 2019
aguele:

By Idoko Ainoko

This is one of the most stupid posts I have read in a long time.

It is insulting to the brain..
It is insulting to Nigerians..

And for what? Some thousands of Naira.

It is partisan
Unbalanced
Based on assumptions

It reeks of someone pushing his brain aside and going on a drunk writing spree.

I stopped readng when you asked if someone like Sowore could go to the US, and stir up protests and a revolution...

For you not to know that worse has been done in the past few months, even 1/2 years of Trumps rule is to be a novice (which you are)

Trump and his government has been ridiculed, severally on live tv..
He has been brazingly abused with unprintable names...by his own people..
He is called the worse names by celebrities out in the open, even in front of the White House.. .
Have people tried to stir up peaceful protests in line with the constitution, Hell YES

Are they arrested and tried like criminals? No
Does Trump go after anyone? No
Can he go after them using the government? No

If he tries it, he would turn the whole of America against himself and get impeached...

That is the most powerful nation in the world that understands freedom of speech
That is the most powerful president in the world that abides by the law, the freaking constitution...

Sowore has messed up, Yes!!

But he has been granted bail (Even the Dss have confirmed that through their spokesman and I wonder how you kept asking if he really was granted bail)

All we have is a president clamping down on anyone who speaks Ill against him..

It is our freaking right to talk as we please as long as we dont incite violence and war...

Once again, your article is an insult to I intelligence..
It is disappointing..

With people who still think like you, I'm afraid Nigeria has a longer way to go...

1 Like

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Lifediary: 8:26am On Nov 15, 2019
This writer is empty. So, I will definitely conclude that this write-up is intellectually empty. Mind you, the Judiciary had given it's verdict twice
Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Xisnin(m): 8:26am On Nov 15, 2019
contigiency:

Let adults discuss this issue.
Just watch from the sideline.
Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 15, 2019
Dey there dey blow grammar.

A simple perusal of the demands of the conveners of Revolution Now campaign shows that all they want is better life for the average Nigerian.

Sane countries have a strong social security net for its citizens. Minors and senior citizens are adequately taken care of.

People with special needs are well considered.

Everyone is given an opportunity to reach and surpass their potentials.

Nigeria has always served the interest of a few to the detriment of the majority.

How do you expect that to change if there's no revolution?

You think the elite will commit class suicide without help from the masses?
Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:51am On Nov 15, 2019
If I think about the fact that ALL the dictators in Africa always have rabid supporters, your case begins to get clearer.
Injustice like this trickles down from the president to service chiefs and other 'powerful' civil servants.
Jailing or killing dissenting voices has never developed a nation, infact the reverse is the case.

Always take time for deep reflection before sharing your opinions

contigiency:

Re: Sowore: Before We Crucify The Secret Police by gidgiddy: 9:14am On Nov 15, 2019
Lawalemi:
We know your type. Definitely, you are reasoning as a northerner that is hell-bent on protecting one of their own in power

Of course. Had Buhari been from the South, and Sowore from the North. The way the Northerners would have attacked Buhari for disobeying court order would have been something else

So much for "one Nigeria"

(1) (Reply)

Wike Almost Fought Governor Umahi Over Costly Joke.(screenshots) / The Chronicle Of Ken Saro-wiwa, A Man Used To Fight His People / Imo State: US Lawyers Criticise Supreme Court's Decision

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.