Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate (27300 Views)

Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats / Hate Speech Bill: Senate Urges Nigerians To Be Patient / Nnamdi Kanu: Abaribe Writes Nigerian-Israeli Ambassador (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Prechy08(m): 10:35am On Nov 16, 2019
GEJ comes to mind. A real democrat that was kicked out with the help of US government.
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by ultimateprof: 10:43am On Nov 16, 2019
"The chickens have a way of coming home to roost. I may be wrong of course, but their droppings already foul the common air we all breathe. Just take a deep breath, look around you, and re-consider."

I totally agree to the above concept, but............. For I know that the lacuna has created since this same nation made the decision to go backward in the year 2015. God bless the dead.
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by goldenejims79(m): 11:10am On Nov 16, 2019
will they read and understand?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by emmaoyes(m): 11:13am On Nov 16, 2019
Why lamenting? You got us here,
You know how many crowd you pull for this him?
Make i hear word abeggi

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by yellowman2225(m): 11:39am On Nov 16, 2019
Tranquillity360:
Who take Wole
Soyinka serious these days.

If it was GEJ,him and his yoruba people would have full the street of lagos making noise.

Because to them Goodluck Government is Igbo government.

What drived them to tyranit buhari is their hatred for Igbos.

You are never a student of history and never ready to learn Your hatred for Yoruba will definitely kill you. The same Soyinka that was imprisoned because of his suppor for Biafra people is the same one you are accusing of hating Igobos ??
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by ademijuwonlo(f): 11:56am On Nov 16, 2019
Why should "death penalty" bill be passed for hate speech when our problem is corruption?It is corruption that has brought a giant like Nigeria to her knees. "death penalty" bill should be for corrupt public officers.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by JastSiryin(m): 12:31pm On Nov 16, 2019
FrLukas:

If you don't expect those that sit in the "hallowed" chambers of the nation's highest legislature to understand the average vocabulary employed by the gentleman prof, then I understand why Nigeria keeps churning out irredeemable characters as their leaders.

We expect so little from them.

There are no words in that letter that are so big as to warrant the use of a dictionary.

I'm not being a snob or a know-it-all.

The letter is easily understood, really.
I didnt find it difficult to understand also, but I'd be a fool to exclude completely those who found his letter incomprehensible from being amongst the "intelligent group".

English is but a language afterall. It's no rubber stamp for intellect. Alot of factors have a say in one's command of the English language other than a poor educational background. If we really went down into what constituted an educated fellow, we'd soon find ourselves threading into territories outside what is socially accepted.

While I won't claim to know statiscally the ratio of uneducated to educated legislators, it is without a doubt that there exists a sizeable number of educated folk there. It's why I'm no longer so accommodating of the popular phrase " the uneducated control government" because it fails to answer a number of Important questions.

One of which is, the distinction between education and morality. And another being that if knowledge were the proverbial weapon(power) of the "educated" man. How come that same power had somehow been hijacked by the uneducated, right from under our noses!? Then It does call to question, the merits of our perceived education.

Let agree that it was due to negligence on our part. But if we did, then we can very well see that our education doesn't make us infallible to such a vice. Pls let's do away with this "messianic" interpretation of what an educated man should be. I can only conclude it's as a result of many years of seclusion from the throes of power.

In our anger and disgust we've somehow labeled these corrupt leaders as something other than ourselves. But in truth, they're a proper reflection of us just as we'd see when we looked in the mirror.

That this country would finally reap the dividends of democracy would not be down to how educated our leaders become, but by how many would have the willpower to put aside selfish interests, and wherewithal to do what's right.

Go to our tertiary institutions and see the level of corruption there, are they not educated people? Brilliant men and women who can't resist the urge for illicit gain. Or is there a new definition of education that I'm not aware of?

Honestly speaking no one would judge you by the amount of grammar you can juggle, but by the good you're able to accomplish. Beacuse at the end of the day, words are deceiving.

I'd most likely prefer a leader that is coy on words and extravagant in putting good policies to use over some empty-barrel orator, beacuse many of the latter exist.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by ahukannakate(f): 12:32pm On Nov 16, 2019
Very good, the bill should be passed for second reading.
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Ubah199(m): 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2019
I can't read this anymore my brain is shaking..... Op please I need breakdown of this grammar this Grammer is too big for my 1terabite brain.........
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by AkwalaIke1: 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2019
[s]
solmusdesigns:
Honestly the Bill was presented because of people like you that lack home training and public decorum, and feel since they have a mouth they can open it anyhow...

I know reasonable lawmakers would not allow what happed to the tutsi of rwanda happen in Nigeria before the control reckless speeches from untrained people

[/s]
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by AkwalaIke1: 12:33pm On Nov 16, 2019
[s]
solmusdesigns:
yeah right..

says the dude who goes about insulting strangers for holding a different opinion... truly its not your fault but that of the people who should had trained you

[/s]
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 16, 2019
JastSiryin:
I didnt find it difficult to understand also, but I'd be a fool to exclude completely those who found his letter incomprehensible from being amongst the "intelligent group".

English is but a language afterall. It's no rubber stamp for intellect. Alot of factors have a say in one's command of the English language other than a poor educational background. If we really went down into what constituted an educated fellow, we'd soon find ourselves threading into territories outside what is socially accepted.

While I won't claim to know statiscally the ratio of uneducated to educated legislators, it is without a doubt that there exists a sizeable number of educated folk there. It's why I'm no longer so accommodating of the popular phrase " the uneducated control government" because it fails to answer a number of Important questions.

One of which is, the distinction between education and morality. And another being that if knowledge were the proverbial weapon(power) of the "educated" man. How come that same power had somehow been hijacked by the uneducated, right from under our noses!? Then It does call to question, the merits of our perceived education.

Let agree that it was due to negligence on our part. But if we did, then we can very well see that our education doesn't make us infallible to such a vice. Pls let's do away with this "messianic" interpretation of what an educated man should be. I can only conclude it's as a result of many years of seclusion from the throes of power.

In our anger and disgust we've somehow labeled these corrupt leaders as something other than ourselves. But in truth, they're a proper reflection of us just as we'd see when we looked in the mirror.

That this country would finally reap the dividends of democracy would not be down to how educated our leaders become, but by how many would have the willpower to put aside selfish interests, and wherewithal to do what's right.

Go to our tertiary institutions and see the level of corruption there, are they not educated people? Brilliant men and women who can't resist the urge for illicit gain. Or is there a new definition of education that I'm not aware of?

Honestly speaking no one would judge you by the amount of grammar you can juggle, but by the good you're able to accomplish. Beacuse at the end of the day, words are deceiving.

I'd most likely prefer a leader that is coy on words and extravagant in putting good policies to use over some empty-barrel orator, beacuse many of the latter exist.

You have made many sound points. Some I may disagree with cos I see things from a little different perspective.

We say being able to correctly speak the English language or read and write it well is not a test for intelligence. I believe being able to read and write first and foremost denotes that you are literate to some extent. Being able to learn a new language apart from your mother-tongue is actually a show of intelligence. It doesn't have to be English. Could be French or Portuguese or Spanish or Italian.

Having said that, I agree that education most often doesn't translate to high morality.

Still we would have to differentiate between being educated and being PROPERLY educated.

A syllabus that doesn't take into cognizance the moral formation of its intended students would have failed woefully.

A properly formed syllabus should train the hands, sharpen the mind/intellect and illuminate and form the conscience of the average student.

We have people in leadership position the world over who have been trained to be sharp thinkers, speed readers, adept diplomats yet morally bankrupt.

That's why there is massive degradation of human values in every country of the world. It's not just peculiar to Nigeria.

Still, if Nigeria's lingua franca is English, then I assume that those who are at the highest echelons of power should be able to conduct their business in that language with fluidity. I don't expect any of them to bring out a dictionary to understand Prof Wole Soyinka's letter when it is being read on the floor of the house. These are the nation's lawmakers for crying out loud.

But knowing how Nigeria is, I won't be surprised if a lot of them in the Chambers have one or more falsified documents concerning their academic attainment.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Dedetwo(m): 1:14pm On Nov 16, 2019
The bloody Nigeria political elites are dangerously testing the patience of Nigerians.
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by degamemaster(m): 1:20pm On Nov 16, 2019
anigbajumo:
I know many people won't read the contexs line by line and understand the content b4 they started throwing jabs at this man,the article is quite educative not only in Nigeria but entire other African countries,I think FG should suspend the bill and review it again coz the penalty is barbaric and uncalled for.

Yes, but if Prof didn't support this evil and calamity called buhari to come to power, there won't have been any need for letter writing because GEJ already gave us FIB and guaranteed us freedom after speech.
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by anigbajumo(m): 1:31pm On Nov 16, 2019
degamemaster:

Yes, but if Prof didn't support this evil and calamity called buhari to come to power, there won't have been any need for letter writing because GEJ already gave us FIB and guaranteed us freedom after speech.

It is very wrong and unconstitutional for u to be saying this,u av no right whatsoever to dictate for anybody wen it comes to Civic duty.We av different view and we av our choices which is fundamental,he supporter PMB and regretted it,that doesn't mean he offended anybody...Even if he voted for Bello as NG president he owe nobody any apology,it is constitutional...

The person u supported today might be a collosal failure than PMB tomorrow,nobody will hold u accountable for it,that is ur fundamental right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by anigbajumo(m): 1:37pm On Nov 16, 2019
ademijuwonlo:
Why should "death penalty" bill be passed for hate speech when our problem is corruption?It is corruption that has brought a giant like Nigeria to her knees. "death penalty" bill should be for corrupt public officers.

God bless u,the penalty is highly barbaric and it should be totally condemned.

This ur name is scary,av never heard of it b4..

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Rufai1314(m): 2:21pm On Nov 16, 2019
Why not proposing death sentence to those idiots that are stealing our common wealth?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Enemyofpeace: 4:02pm On Nov 16, 2019
drips8:
I don't think the Nigerian Senate understand English.
moreover who get time to read the epistles? The thing too long jare
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Tranquillity360: 4:09pm On Nov 16, 2019
yellowman2225:

You are never a student of history and never ready to learn Your hatred for Yoruba will definitely kill you. The same Soyinka that was imprisoned because of his suppor for Biafra people is the same one you are accusing of hating Igobos ??
una hatred for Igbos is already dealing with you.

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by GreyLaw(m): 4:17pm On Nov 16, 2019
descartes400:
I want to ask every one, if a hate speech is peddled against any member of the society or a group within a society such that it causes death(s) , what should be the appropriate penalty for the purveyor(s) of the hate speech considering the volatile nature of our society and giving the multi-ethnicity.

I want to believe that's the area the bill wants to address.

Excellent! But the theiving politicians who have by their very actions caused the death of Nigerians and the gradual death of Nigeria itself are allowed to walk free?

Imagine Buhari holding Sowore hostage (Dasuki inclusive), even when the court says otherwise, now who is to say this bill will not be turned on its head by the same Buhari to cause havoc on Nigerians?
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by fynlyf: 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2019
Words on marble

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by vikithor(m): 4:35pm On Nov 16, 2019
na so,hate speech bill is welcomed,Nigeria population is just too much and its a burden to this govt to meet the free feeding phantom program, so let's the mumu senate hurriedly make it a law,the red head dictator is waiting far away in London to sign it into law,pastor VP mere commisdioner,Femi Adeshina and Tinubu will laud and gleefully cheer the tyrant thereafter.

pls let it become law,we can't wait,same way 10.1billions is approved in the speed of light by these rubber stamp law breakers for a kogi state for election rigging despite been owing workers 36 months salary,the kogi will receive cheers from Aisha buhari n osinbande (pastor's wife) for crime against the kogites.

I want to by coming week the implantation of the bill into law,no time to waste time.
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by WenysAD(f): 5:13pm On Nov 16, 2019
Noel1:

Is that all u want to say?

What else do u want me to say?
When they were supporting them, they forgot that a leopard cannot change it's spots. They should sit and enjoy their next level biko

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by tonesky(m): 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2019
If the punishment for hate speech is death, same should apply to hate action such as denying a section of the country opportunity to be president as well as policies targeted at crippling the main business of some sections of the country. Time shall tell.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by preselect(m): 6:08pm On Nov 16, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
All These Big English For Buhari??

grin grin grin

#TerrorhammaduShowsHisTrueColor
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by phantom24: 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2019
When the wicked rules, the people murmour
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by phantom24: 6:29pm On Nov 16, 2019
jaxxy:
Does the senate even know what hate speech is?? Before then giving a ridiculous proposing a ridiculous sentence to it.

Why don’t they propose death sentence for looting of public funds?? Idiots
because they're not willing to stop the looting of public funds .

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by bowdas(m): 6:34pm On Nov 16, 2019
strategy what a country
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Joystark(f): 7:58pm On Nov 16, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
All These Big English For Buhari??

Lol...
What's with the picture?

He has professors in his cabinet na.
They'll pas the message accross.
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by franugo(m): 8:10pm On Nov 16, 2019
Nigerians are so lazy intellectually... Can't even read the letter but instead jump to hurling insults on the amiable prof.....imbeciles the lot of them

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by themanderon: 9:12pm On Nov 16, 2019
Can that idiotic and illiterate senator read this letter?
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate by Litmus: 9:33pm On Nov 16, 2019
Sanctioning free speech is necessary evil for the survival of Nigeria and allowing poor people the chance to live in hope instead of doomed to civil strife. In addition, since speech sanctions will affect their aims for Nigeria, I suspect that many of those foreign forces that wept loudest for us about our border closure are similarly among those warning the Nigerian people about the calamity that will befall them if government sanctions free speech.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Do You Think About My Boss' Parable? / President Buhari Returns To Abuja From Egypt (photos) / Bala Mohammed Bags Best Governor In The North & 2nd Place Nationally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.