Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,436 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats (22688 Views)

Aliyu Abdullahi, Aisha Buhari's Aide Refuses To Disclose Her Whereabouts (Video) / Hate Speech Bill: Sabi Abdullahi Says Dangers Loom Without Legislation / Banbangida Aliyu & Abdullahi Maibasira Lead Atiku & Nasko Campaign In Suleja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by EBMedia: 6:59am On Nov 19, 2019
IgbereTV reports that Senator Aliyu Abdullahi, the lawmaker representing Niger North Senatorial District and the Deputy Chief Whip has disclosed that he's been receiving threatening messages since the hate speech bill he sponsored passed its first reading.

Recall that Senator Abdullahi proposed a National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speech Bill and death by hanging as punishment for hate speeches.

The Niger Senator who stated that he won't shy away from his responsibility because of the threats, added that the bill was not passed in the eight Senate because he left it alone at that time because the political atmosphere was already getting charged at its first reading.

“Like somebody wrote to me, over the past ten days or so since the bill was read for the first time, I have received all kinds of messages some even including threats. But I am not bothered about that. In all of these, if I receive one commendation, it gladdens my heart and I did receive many commendations and one stood out and said there is so much hate in this country. We must check it.

“If you meet those who have lost their loved ones arising from religious or ethnicity, intolerance, and the like, I don’t think they will be smiling with you when you tell them hate speech is nonsense or does not exist. They have felt, seen and are living as victims of hate speech,” he said.

“I reckon in my thinking that the atmosphere was not right for even debating the subject matter because, at the end of the day, we will be missing the point. So I did not pursue it.

“On assessing the reason why I introduced the bill in the 8th senate in the first instance, I have seen that these reasons are not abated. If anything, they are actually assuming a life of their own. So I decided that this bill be reintroduced and it was on the 12th of this month.

“They will demonise me, I am not moved because this is the subject of life and no one buys life in the market. Nobody came with a spare" Abdullahi added.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by fixedhollies(m): 7:08am On Nov 19, 2019
Na death threats fit you... Our senators are bunch of illiterates. What is hate speech? What offense or kind of words will constitute it? Will it affect government criticism? Won't it be an instrument of crucifixion in the hands of the government of the day!

A country where court orders are not respected will be a total Jungle with hate speech enactment.

Such laws can only fit a saner country and government... where things are already working.

164 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 19, 2019
EBMedia:
IgbereTV reports that Senator Aliyu Abdullahi, the lawmaker representing Niger North Senatorial District and the Deputy Chief Whip has disclosed that he's been receiving threatening messages since the hate speech bill he sponsored passed its first reading.

Recall that Senator Abdullahi proposed a National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speech Bill and death by hanging as punishment for hate speeches.

The Niger Senator who stated that he won't shy away from his responsibility because of the threats, added that the bill was not passed in the eight Senate because he left it alone at that time because the political atmosphere was already getting charged at its first reading.

“Like somebody wrote to me, over the past ten days or so since the bill was read for the first time, I have received all kinds of messages some even including threats. But I am not bothered about that. In all of these, if I receive one commendation, it gladdens my heart and I did receive many commendations and one stood out and said there is so much hate in this country. We must check it.

“If you meet those who have lost their loved ones arising from religious or ethnicity, intolerance, and the like, I don’t think they will be smiling with you when you tell them hate speech is nonsense or does not exist. They have felt, seen and are living as victims of hate speech,” he said.

“I reckon in my thinking that the atmosphere was not right for even debating the subject matter because, at the end of the day, we will be missing the point. So I did not pursue it.

“On assessing the reason why I introduced the bill in the 8th senate in the first instance, I have seen that these reasons are not abated. If anything, they are actually assuming a life of their own. So I decided that this bill be reintroduced and it was on the 12th of this month.

“They will demonise me, I am not moved because this is the subject of life and no one buys life in the market. Nobody came with a spare" Abdullahi added.
yimu

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Wuxmadi: 7:08am On Nov 19, 2019
Yeah, no to hate speavh

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by nurex01(m): 7:08am On Nov 19, 2019
Source??
Well, hate speech can leads to Conflict and from Conflict can escalate to Violence.

Let's all say no to Hate Speech

MODIFIED
Hate speech and fake news have been there from time immemorial and it is barbaric to say now that we want to hang people because they expressed their feelings or what they had in mind. So, censoring people or limiting people from participating in politics might not be the correct thing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by EBMedia: 7:08am On Nov 19, 2019
Source of the News:

Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats

http://igberetvnews.com/1144492/senator-sponsored-hate-speech-bill-says-receiving-threats/

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Jobio1(f): 7:08am On Nov 19, 2019
Lol
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by kuuljay(m): 7:08am On Nov 19, 2019
Ok
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by TooNoisy(f): 7:09am On Nov 19, 2019
You will receive worse. You want to sponsor a bill that will give irresponsible people like you, the power to jail and hang the masses for openly expressing their views? You just dey start.

100 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Dxdxy: 7:09am On Nov 19, 2019
It's not necessary, qt all
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Yugosng(m): 7:09am On Nov 19, 2019
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Emu4life(m): 7:09am On Nov 19, 2019
Good one Senator Abdullahi.
This may be from those who derive pleasure in religion and tribe sentimental comments.
FFK and Rhino be warned.
Those whose lives are full of hatred will not like this but does the Lion care about the opinion of other animals in the Jungle?? This bill must be passed.

2 Likes

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by sykeng(m): 7:09am On Nov 19, 2019
Nonsense why not sponsor anti looting bill.
Hate speech and looting which is more endemic?

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by StPete: 7:09am On Nov 19, 2019
Of all the problems bedeviling the country, so hate speech is this one’s priority? Even when the current government took over power using all the whims and caprices of social media. Make una kontinu

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by NwaBoy: 7:09am On Nov 19, 2019
angry
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Tolumiide: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
Hate speech! Out of over a thousand problem we face as a country. I feel like crying!

5 Likes

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Ogalanyachieze: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
Good for him
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by bilulu(m): 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
Space for sale....
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Tambest(m): 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
you have not seen anything

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by meccuno: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
Northern lawmaker......

2 Likes

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Armstrong34(m): 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
When are they gonna introduce Anti corruption Bill shocked

7 Likes

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Centcanada: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
Hahahahahaha. This is just Tue beginning. Is it hate speech?
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by futuregovernor: 7:10am On Nov 19, 2019
You will be the first victim

2 Likes

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by MoIbrahim: 7:11am On Nov 19, 2019
People of hate don't like hate speech bill. Why?

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by TheSourcerer: 7:11am On Nov 19, 2019
bilulu:
Space for sake....
UV Rays
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Centcanada: 7:11am On Nov 19, 2019
Hahahahahaha. This is just The beginning. Is it hate speech?
Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by nairalee(m): 7:11am On Nov 19, 2019
Oh what did you expect? Oh you want them to be hanged for hate threats.

He who fetched ant-infested firewood should be ready to dine with lizards

2 Likes

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by LifeQuest(m): 7:12am On Nov 19, 2019
“If what happened in 2011 (alleged rigging) should again happen in 2015, by the grace of God, the dog and the baboon would all be soaked in blood.’’

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/2015-ll-be-bloody-if-buhari/

8 Likes

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Emu4life(m): 7:12am On Nov 19, 2019
MoIbrahim:
People of hate don't like hate speech bill. Why?
Especially people from a particular region of the Con3grin

1 Like

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Axelfeldmann(m): 7:12am On Nov 19, 2019
Let's see what this hate speech bill is actually all about. You sponsor the anti looting bill too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats by Dsolutionz18: 7:13am On Nov 19, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nwafor Orizu's Family To Hold Memorial Thanksgiving Service / God Chose Buhari To Fulfill Plans For Nigeria- V.P Osinbajo / Aregbesola At The launch Of Ofada Osun Rice (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.