Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? (700 Views)

Lovers Of Apple Mac Os X / Apple Ibook G4 Laptop*great Condition*mac Os Leopard*warri*benin- #70,000 Naira / Any Mac Os X Fan Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by justwise(m): 10:06am On Nov 19, 2010
I was having this discusion with a friend who is a big fan of MAC OS X, he claimed that MAC OS X is more secured than windows. Is he right?
Re: What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:56pm On Nov 19, 2010
err well i can only say if you know what you are doing.

i guess from the standpoint that osx is a nix based os, out of the box it is, plus the far lesser malware for it.

but if you truly knew what u doing, and paranoid enuf, even windows can be secure.

problem really is very few pple know how to properly use a windows system! the way it is, you could use if for years and not know the slightest security measure.

therefore as a noob, sure osx is more secure BUT what is the use of a security vault when the owner leaves it open? u culd be easily more insecure on osx if u do the wrong things!

well i dont use osx now, have used it in the past so maybe im wrong?
Re: What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by denzel2009: 2:00pm On Nov 19, 2010
Yes,because the bad guys have more pressing problems than attacking MAC OSX.
Re: What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by justwise(m): 2:05pm On Nov 19, 2010
4llerbuntu:

err well i can only say if you know what you are doing.

i guess from the standpoint that osx is a nix based os, out of the box it is, plus the far lesser malware for it.

but if you truly knew what u doing, and paranoid enuf, even windows can be secure.

problem really is very few pple know how to properly use a windows system! the way it is, you could use if for years and not know the slightest security measure.

therefore as a noob, sure osx is more secure BUT what is the use of a security vault when the owner leaves it open? u culd be easily more insecure on osx if u do the wrong things!

well i dont use osx now, have used it in the past so maybe im wrong?

Thanks for ur reply, you know i was thinking, if MAC OS X is that secured how come many pple go for windows then? Yes i know cost play a part but considering advantages of having a secured system, many busniess would have stock up Mac os x rather than windows which seems to be prefered OS.
Re: What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by justwise(m): 2:06pm On Nov 19, 2010
denzel2009:

Yes,because the bad guys have more pressing problems than attacking MAC OSX.

. . . but MAC OS X seems to be more expensive.
Re: What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by denzel2009: 5:15pm On Nov 19, 2010
justwise:

. . . but MAC OS X seems to be more expensive.
What's the ratio of MAC OSX to Windows OS?

It's more expensive but how many people use it compared to Windows? The hackers/Malicious code writers are busy with windows' users.
Re: What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:06pm On Nov 19, 2010
u know i have often thot of this point myself, and the conclusion i draw is= a lot of geeks just beef bill gates grin grin grin grin

i mean, well most malwares dont exactly add anything to the maker, so why focus so much on them? grin grin grin good old beef.

anyway, the answers are really farfetched.

1. there are like 10,000 windows install to other OS installs. (larger "victim" audience)

2. other OS, esp UNIX based ones are not so simple to mess up, plus usually it amounts to a waste of time because whatever flaw exploited is easily corrected .

3. believe it or not, i think that the malware industry is one big scam!
the industry for antivirus/ anti this or that runs into the millions of dollars if not billions a year. they feed off issues with windows which i know can be corrected with a desire to do so by MS! not easy as it would probably mean a fundamental rewrite of the os bottoms up, even a new kernel. and who is gonna do a new one? they sure as hell cannot take the nix kernel and make it proprietary.

and there is the little matter of all the other legacy devices and softwares built around windows in its present state grin

some of the flaws like registry etc have been around for ever, and are still targets for malwares so why is MS playing ostrich and allowing 3rd party be the ones to feed off it?

and please can someone tell me why a multi-billion coy who incidentally makes the OS itself, cannot make the best Antivirus etc for that same os? its the external coys who know how, even better than MS techs and software designers? puhlease.

4. BEEF once again!! plus its soo ridiculous some of the weaknesses in a windows machine, its kinda like lame to expect people who know how to do stuff not to just for the fun of it write malicious codes to exploit them

i remember when windows 7 was released, touted as the safest, secure ish. there was a black hat competition online for who could write a malicious code to create a fundamental flaw in it, the winner took all of 40 minutes (some asian chap) grin grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Think About Mac Os X Security? by justwise(m): 9:04pm On Nov 19, 2010
I think the attack on MAC OS X and other apple products will increase with time, with many of their phones and other devices runing OS just like laptops and getting wildly used, the hackers and other bad guys will shift their attention to MAC OS X.

Yes MS is still their number one target but apple will be included to that list pretty soon as they gain popularity.

The whole computer, Virus/Av/malaware. . etc market is a con, they all boast each other's product, one bad news to one coy is good news to another, that is how the market works, the end-users pays the price.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help My Laptop Does Not Boot / Want To Learn Autocad, Autopipe, Matcad, And Other Pipeline Software Materials / Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.