Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,754 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? (3235 Views)

Where Did It All Go Wrong For Arsenal? / Champions League Hopefuls: Where Did Your Team Do It Wrongly Last Season. / Where Did It Go Wrong For Man Utd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by Omolulu(m): 10:05pm On May 23, 2007
the batttle is now over and the great italian club AC MILAN has won the day, but could anyone tell me where Liverpool went wrong shocked
Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by topeorekoy(m): 7:17am On May 24, 2007
to me italy is still the best football country in the world. they won the champin's league and the world cup despite all the things they went through. the match was so technical that kaka, seedof was marked out of the game. the game could have gone anywhere but it went milan's way. the choice of inzaghi was a real joker because throughout the match, he didnt do anything except score those two goals. he is such a good poacher.

liverpool missed what could have been a leveler by no other than their star player steven gerrard. what was benitez complaining about? the ref stopped the match before time? would they have scored even if the match continued. i never saw a repeat of istanbul when liverpool scored a goal in the 89th minute.

MILLAN HAVE SEVEN CHAMPIONS' LEAGUE CUP NOW

Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by RuuDie(m): 1:18pm On May 24, 2007
L'pool never stood a chance --- they just don't have 'nuff quality in that team. Milan didn't play well by their own lofty standards, but in truth, they were never troubled by L'pool; on 3 or 4 occasions the Milan defence was really sloppy - giving the ball away cheaply in very dangerous positions but L'pool couldn't capitalise.

for me, i felt the L'pool defence paid a lil' too much attention to Kaka, Pirlo & Seedorf --- a lot of people seem to think that they actually succeeded in shackling Kaka; but i think not. i think he just had a quiet but effective game, same with Seedorf, a la the whole Milan team --- it was all too easy for 'em.

Basically, Benitez was out-thot last nite --- bet he was thinking Milan would tow the "xmas tree" line, but Ancelloti flipped things a bit; it was more of a "4-4-2" last nite.
Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by marlet01(m): 2:23pm On May 24, 2007
@ Topic

I think were Liverpool went wrong was when they coulnd't score in the first half, despite seeing so many chances.

Milan didn't see as much as they saw but they won.

In a nutshell Livepool didn't utilize their chances.
Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by creatorjc(m): 4:15pm On May 25, 2007
well, i think Benitez did not get his sums right for once.what was Zenden doing in that match?Gerrard was just sloppy and could not really connect with Pennant effectively.Crouch should have come into the match earlier than he did for some long balls and partnership with Kuyt.Emmm,I dont really blame Benitez tough.The truth is that the quality players he has in his team are few,very few and then,on a day the most qualified[Gerrard] played poorly,the cup was not just theirs,
Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by loyika(m): 4:33pm On May 25, 2007
The problem with the Pool wasn't the team, the problem was with Benitez; He Bottled it!! simple and short tongue

He was more concerned in winning the game in style (without the necessary players to execute that) rather than beating Milan, the way Liverpool know how.

1, Why leave Crouch on the Bench, when he would have scared the Hell out of the Milan Defence and made them make mistakes, thereby leaving room for Kuyt to cause the damage

2, Playing Xabi Alonso was wrong, he should also not have removed Mascherano, that was a big mistake. The Argie had kept the Brazilian quiet all game, but as soon as he left what happens, Kaka sent through a pass to Old man Inzagi, who used all his experience to beat Reina.

3, Why the Bloody hell does he always play Zenden, the guy is crap (which is also strange, cause low and behold, who does he get rid off post game Yup!! Bolo Zenden That is the most stupid decision Benitez ever made)

4, Why play Gerrard as a secoond striker it was like a square peg in a round hole. I mean we spent half the game watching Kuyt (a Striker) coming to the midfield to send crosses/passes to Gerrard (an Attacking Midfielder), did that make sense

Liverpool had Milan in their sights and could/should have won that game by 2 clear goals, instead they concede a silly foul, which leads to a silly goal, and then allow Inzagi add insult to injury and hit them with a sucker punch. They have missed Garcia all season, his craftiness could have worked instead of Zenden's pedestral playing.

How do you lose a game (playing the Arsenal / Man United way), when you kill off 2 of Milans lynchpins in Gattuso and Kaka, and dominate possesion for that long, and only manage to react when you go down 2 goals to score a consolation goal (funnily enough playing the Liverpool way).

GO FIGURE undecided

cool GOONER 89
Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by Iman3(m): 7:06pm On May 25, 2007
Firstly,it has to be noted that individually,Milan's players are technically superior to Liverpool's.Milan's side was blessed with experienced and technically gifted players.Liverpool lacked these especially in attack.

Benitez did not help matters by fielding a team with only one striker and leaving his most creative and gifted player-Gerrald-marooned in an unfamiliar role.He could have played Gerrald in a free role in midfield while starting Crouch and Kuyt.This would have still retained the defensive solidity he sought by playing 2 defensive midfielders-Mascherano and Alonso-with the added advantage of a 2 man strike force-Crouch and Kuyt- and the full exploitation of Gerrald at his best-in a roving midfield role.

I was surprised at how long it took to get Crouch on to support Kuyt.When he did make a change,it was to bring in that "reliable" Aussie-Kewell-who looks like he is tired of football.What was that about? Benitez's defensive instincts got the better of him.He was too cautious for his own good.

Obviously,am delighted he exercised those choices grin Kidneypool join the Arse in the pantheon of trophyless clubs grincouldn't help myself
Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by chumakk: 7:40pm On May 25, 2007
a winner is a WINNER,nothing is wrong
Re: Where Did Liverpool Go Wrong? by viee(f): 2:10pm On May 28, 2007
hiss

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Sports Man Of The Year / Arsenal V Sunderland [2 - 0] On Saturday 20th February / Malaga Vs Real Madrid (0 - 4) On 22nd October

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.