Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,304 members, 7,829,711 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo (10103 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by mohadana: 3:17pm On May 25, 2007
@WesleyanA. that was a very stupid comment to make. this a funny thread.there are many edo and nigeria minorities in the USA,Texas,Dallas,Ny, Boston,etc.i live in Boston Ma, i see more edos than any other minorities ethnic groups from South South region.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 3:31pm On May 25, 2007
Mohadana, please tell dem
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by mohadana: 4:59pm On May 25, 2007
you are welcome,i have some edo inlaws from Ubiaja.when you called them Edo as in Bini,they will be the first to tell you,they are not Bini.i used to think everyone from Edo state is Bini.don,t mine me, some people here like insult other people culture.just read wesleyanA comment.your tribe is not full of saint.The three major languages people are the most tribal-is people of nigeria.ontopic the Hausa's are not very common in US.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 6:21pm On May 25, 2007
mohadana:

@WesleyanA. that was a very stupid comment to make. this a funny thread.there are many edo and nigeria minorities in the USA,Texas,Dallas,Ny, Boston,etc.i live in Boston Ma, i see more edos than any other minorities ethnic groups from South South region.

Why now? If she no sabi di real thing wey dey happen, then enlighten her, politely. Which one be 'stupid' for inside dis whole talk now? undecided
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by mohadana: 6:28pm On May 25, 2007
@laduate,read between the line of wesleyanA comment.i just hate stereotype comment.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by mohadana: 6:51pm On May 25, 2007
@ laudate, you are not a yoruba but you stick up for them.i am ijaw and i have  alot of Edo friends in the USA.i can relate to them,they are very friendly.that is while i stick up for them. cool
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 7:42pm On May 25, 2007
Its true, Wesleyan is really been stereotypical. Why would he assume the Edos are in Italy, there are lots of other tribes in the U.S other than Yoruba and Igbo, even lots of Igbos in Europe too. Ne4real you right, its just ignorant.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by mohadana: 7:46pm On May 25, 2007
somebody got my point. grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 25, 2007
It's really not their fault, they do not know much about the rest of Nigeria, and yes One Nigeria!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by honeric01(m): 1:26am On May 26, 2007
well na una know, the forum my computer and my eyes hitch, been too long i have been starring at the puter
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kellorah: 1:27am On May 26, 2007
do they? shocked haven't noticed.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by honeric01(m): 1:44am On May 26, 2007
lol. he was trying to pull your feet, lol we are all nigerians, check out our national team, all diversticated.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by dakmanzero(m): 8:05am On May 28, 2007
I think mohadana is calling wesleyan stupid because he thinks that wes is making a tongue-in-cheek jab and calling his people prostitutes, hence the 'read between the lines'

mohadana, it is possible that wesleyan is ignorant of the implications of what he said. You should call him out on it first, instead of calling him stupid. If he goes ahead and says it directly, then you can attack his comments with as much venom as you can muster (understand that it is bad form to attack the speaker)

Also, I am Yoruba but when in school, our igbo teachers made it a point of duty to drill it into our heads: it is Igbo, not ibo. One of our teachers even used to punish anyone that pronounced it wrongly.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by BillGatesFan(m): 5:15pm On May 28, 2007
If you are been addressed as Ibo, then your blessed thats a blessed country destined by GOD himself,why do you want to be addressed as to a country that GOD did not bless?

WHETHER YOU PEOPLE LIKES IT OR NOT PEOPLE FROM DELTA STATE,BAYELSA AND RIVER STATE ARE ALL BIAFRANS,all this nonsense Niger Delta the Government is creating is just bullshit,if they like they can still call it COASTAL STATE,all we know is that we are BIAFRANS. ONLY TIME WILL TELL,and we will start using our Biafran POUNDS again

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 9:50pm On May 28, 2007
na by force, they say they are not ibo stop forcing them tongue the states calling themselves niger delta want their own share afterall some claim the eastern states are cheating them
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 5:37am On May 29, 2007
wesleyanA: i hardly see hausa or edo people in the US. you guys are more likely to live in Italy or some european country i think. and hausas are more likely to be in the middle east.

mohadana:

. . .@laduate,read between the line of wesleyanA comment.i just hate stereotype comment.

I think mohadana is calling wesleyan stupid because he thinks that wes is making a tongue-in-cheek jab and calling his people prostitutes, hence the 'read between the lines'

OMG. what the hell? why would i try to call edo people prostitutes? you guys seriously misread my post. lol but i just re-read it and i wonder why that didn't cross my mind when i posted it.
actually i've never personally met any edo people here in the US (i know there are probably lots of them) but the first thing that came to my mind was the edo nairaland member michelin89 and she resides in italy. that's why i assumed that most edos reside in europe or something.

i apologize if i was being stereotypical in the first place for assuming that most edos reside in italy/europe (not even sure if that counts as stereotyping. generalizing is more like it)

exits thread before i get into any more trouble
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 5:37pm On Jun 01, 2007
BillGatesFan:

WHETHER YOU PEOPLE LIKES IT OR NOT PEOPLE FROM DELTA STATE,BAYELSA AND RIVER STATE ARE ALL BIAFRANS,all this nonsense Niger Delta the Government is creating is just bullshit,if they like they can still call it COASTAL STATE,all we know is that we are BIAFRANS. ONLY TIME WILL TELL,and we will start using our Biafran POUNDS again

When did all those people in Delta, Bayelsa & Rivers state, tell you that?? tongue

And when will your pounds or currency, become legal tender within Nigeria?. tongue
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Aproko(f): 8:10pm On Jun 08, 2007
@ topic,

i actually get that a lot, especially in the western part of nigeria. now i have come to realize that those people that call me 'omo ibo' instead of asking me where am from and trying to learn more about other cultures are just those that have refused to improve themselves. so i dont give them a second thought.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 5:38am On Jun 09, 2007
Aproko:

@ topic,

i actually get that a lot, especially in the western part of nigeria. now i have come to realize that those people that call me 'omo ibo' instead of asking me where am from and trying to learn more about other cultures are just those that have refused to improve themselves. so i don't give them a second thought.

This is insane,do Yorubas really call non Yorubas omo Ibo?
I always taught Yorubas were smart enough to know there are other people in Nigeria besides them and Igbos.
This is unexcusable o.

haven't they run into other people?
Is this happening in Lagos or some interior village somewhere?
Even my grandmother RIP knew that people from plateau state were not Hausas.
Who says there's no advantage in travelling and mixing with people away from your homestate.
How can we tell the world about Nigeria and our diverse culture when a Yoruba man calls an ibibio man,Igbo?

No wonder even in nairaland whenever someone is mentioning a negative news item,once the name is not Segun and Gboyega,it must be an Igbo man until proven otherwise.
I tire
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by dakmanzero(m): 8:08am On Jun 10, 2007
Sadly, it is true.

But then, most people would call all northerners 'hausa' or 'mallo' or 'gambari' or some other generic term.

Its all just a prejudiced, racist attitude- the 'they all look the same to me' mentality.

Nigerians find it hard to accept that they are probably the most prejudiced and racist people on the planet- they sneer at and look down on EVERYONE, Arabs,chinese, other africans, other Nigerian tribes,indians(this one is horribly prevalent), all except whites, who they worship as though they were gods (except when it comes to scamming them. The prevailing idea is that 'oyinbos are intelligent but not "sharp"')
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:49am On Jun 11, 2007
Dude if anything it's asians who look down on Africans, it's their own WHITE worship that makes me sick. At least most Nigerians pretend to be cool with white people cos of monetary status as opposed to asians who like to believe they are white
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by dakmanzero(m): 8:45am On Jun 11, 2007
Just because someone is looking down on you doesnt mean you cant look down on them too.

Also, I think you will find the attitude on Nigerians at home is different from the attitude of those abroad.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Aproko(f): 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2007
the problem is a lack of exposure. i noticed that a lot of yoruba people living in the west have never left the west!!!! i have so many friends that havent been anywhere apart from lagos. born, bred, schooled, married all in lagos!!!! i think they watch yoruba movies instead of watching nta news where they can get to see that there are over 250 ethnic groups in nigeria!!!

like I said, my problem is when they refuse to learn and choose to brand you 'omo ibo' even after trying to enlighten them, again i insist those ones are hopeless and i dont give them a second thought.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 3:47pm On Jun 11, 2007
Aproko you are right. Lack of exposure. I noticed the once that grew up in Lagos are more expose than the once that grew up in Ondo or Ogun State. When Yorubas travel, they travel abroad mainly the United States and they live with the belief that Nigeria have three ethnic groups. Some of my Yoruba friends don't even know how to speak the broken English.

Secondly, I don't like when they call the English Nigeria movies, Igbo movies. I know its Igbo dominated, but there are also Non-Igbos in the Industry, including actors and directors. It still comes down to the fact that they think we are all Igbos.

For your info. Not been expose don't mean you are not smart , it just simply mean you are only aware of what is going on in your surrounding.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Imani(f): 5:41pm On Jun 11, 2007
dakmanzero:

Nigerians find it hard to accept that they are probably the most prejudiced and racist people on the planet- they sneer at and look down on EVERYONE, Arabs,chinese, other africans, other Nigerian tribes,indians(this one is horribly prevalent), all except whites, who they worship as though they were gods (except when it comes to scamming them. The prevailing idea is that 'oyinbos are intelligent but not "sharp"')

You are right. Nigerians are quite prejudiced, tribalistic and to an extent racist towards other races. Nigerians also use derogatory names for other tribes such as jamo, chinco, paki etc. Of course other nationalities also do the same so it is not just a nigerian issue.

Even in our own backyard, we have the so called osu that are regarded less than human beings due to some atrocity committed by some ancestors that died ages ago. All this in a land known for so much religiousity.  And then there is the initial troubles when there is a prospect of intermarriage with other tribes.

Back to topic,

While some people may be have some excuse to an extent, especially if there have not been exposed to other tribes and have lived in rural settings most of their lives, those that still insist on lumping all other people together as igbo, hausa or yoruba even after much exposure are just plainly tribalistic.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by SEFAGO(m): 2:49am On Jun 12, 2007
konichiwa
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 3:30am On Jun 12, 2007
The fact that no yorubas have come out to defend this notion makes me think it's true.
They need cultural studies in their schools grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:43am On Jun 12, 2007
What's to defend? I think we have better things to do. Yea some are guilty of it and we know it.

So many people call Itskeris and the Edo people "Yorubas" so whatever.

If someone calls you by the wrong tribe, you correct them. It's that simple or you could always cry about it. Whatever works for you. wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 3:53am On Jun 12, 2007
That omo ibo name Yorubas call non Yoruba southerners is not just because they mistakenly thought they were Igbos,you and I know it is a purely tribalistic term,so correcting them is of no use,the individual would say it again almost as a cuss word whne provoked or something.

I have never lived in Yorubaland,only visited places here and there so this is my first time of learning that they indeed call others non Igbos omo ibo.
That is unfortunate.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 5:07am On Jun 12, 2007
"omo odudua, " "omo nna" or "omo yoruba" ? are tribalistic too, i guess?
"omo igbo" simply means "igbo person" or in literal terms "child of igbo"

didn't know you were offended by it. why is this?

So many people call Itskeris and the Edo people "Yorubas" so whatever.
I'm not going to lie but many edos that i knew in Nigeria were called/ assumed to be yoruba by almost everyone.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 12, 2007
WesleyanA:

"omo odudua, " "omo nna" or "omo yoruba" ? are tribalistic too, i guess?
"omo igbo" simply means "igbo person" or in literal terms "child of igbo"

didn't know you were offended by it. why is this?

I'm not going to lie but many edos that i knew in Nigeria were called/ assumed to be yoruba by almost everyone.

and who uses those terms? or are you recapitulating things you've read on nairaland.
Igbos do not call edo people yoruba,we may not narrow them down to itsekiri and urhobo which is delta,my grandfathers and fathers generation called them midwestern not Yoruba.
omo yoruba is not a term an average Igbo man would use neither have I heard omo oduduwa except here on nairaland by you.
omo nna is a new one I heard last week on nairaland,I even thought the individual was talking about Igbos.

omo ibo may mean child of ibo just like nigger only describes a negro.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 5:31am On Jun 12, 2007
babyosisi:

and who uses those terms? or are you recapitulating things you've read on nairaland.
Igbos do not call edo people yoruba,we may not narrow them down to itsekiri and urhobo which is delta,my grandfathers and fathers generation called them midwestern not Yoruba.
omo yoruba is not a term an average Igbo man would use neither have I heard omo oduduwa except here on nairaland by you.

omo ibo may mean child of ibo just like nigger only describes a negro.

how do you say midwestern in igbo?

wow!!! at your last comment. embarassed embarassed

as far as i'm concerned,
"omo oyinbo" -- white people / american child
"omo ibadan" -- ibadan person
"omo eko" -- lagos person/ lagos child

i don't see how there's a negative meaning in this.

"omo" is a yoruba word for "child or descendant"
"omo oduduwa" means descendant of oduduwa. you can do a google search.
also do a google search on "omo yoruba" you'll find tons of results. mostly ethnic societies on whatever place the people descend from.

"omo" just means "person". trust me, it's not derogatory. maybe the tone the person use might be. but the word def. isn't

how do you say "yoruba person" in igbo?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We The Ikwerre Are Igbos By Ikechukwu A. Ogu(interesting Write Up) / Learn French Live On Nairaland!!! / THE TAROK PEOPLE'S Culture----best In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.